Hits & Misses - What do you like most/least about the Moto X Style?

Jul 30, 2015
Visit site
I think the industry as a whole are still unsure of what the sweet spot in the size of these phones should be. I normally carry my phone in my front pocket all day. Hopefully the new x will fit alright. I'm not a big fan of a belt clip. I can see someone that lays the phone on a desk all day, or puts it in a purse would have no trouble with a larger size. I farm, and like to keep mine protected in my pocket so its not getting caught on things.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I think the industry as a whole are still unsure of what the sweet spot in the size of these phones should be. I normally carry my phone in my front pocket all day. Hopefully the new x will fit alright. I'm not a big fan of a belt clip. I can see someone that lays the phone on a desk all day, or puts it in a purse would have no trouble with a larger size. I farm, and like to keep mine protected in my pocket so its not getting caught on things.

I think they're pretty sure they want to make a flagship device in the 5 to 6 inch range.

Posted via Android Central App (Moto X)

npaladin-2000

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site

The sweet spot is definitely in the 5-6 inch range, lower part of the range is "phone" territory (5.1-5.2 inches) while phablets reside in the upper part (5.7-6). The 5.5 inch ones are trying to be the best of both worlds. ;)

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
For me, the trick with a large screen is having a slim case that covers the screen too. That way you can stuff it in any pocket without worry. I had a Note 3 for 18 months, and a great cheap flip over case.

I have now used my 2013 Moto G exclusively for 2 - 3 months until I get something better.

Apart from the small screen and typing difficulties, I have been enjoying holding and using it with one hand; and going naked after all this time.

Last edited:

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
How far we've come..

VzRXQLi.jpg

Visual Phone Size Comparison

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
I should have got a Nexus 6 as a kick-around device instead of this Nexus 5. A guy I work with let me play with his rooted Nexus 6 and its a nice phone. Maybe I'll get a Style.

from the Elegance

jephanie

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
Bigger screen? Yes please!

So I've been a Moto X lover since the 1st gen.

Being on Verizon, I bought the plain black on launch day for their network. Then, when Motomaker was available, I made myself a very nice custom design and sold the original. Then my wife was ready for an upgrade and moved from her iPhone 4 to the Moto X with a nice custom design. And when they put out their awesome sale, I bought another with a different design just because (and used it as a "backup/warranty" device which I eventually gave to my mother so she could upgrade without having to stick to a contract.

And when the 2nd gen came out, I bought one with the AWESOME bamboo back. And, oh my, the screen size was a little daunting at first but I fell in love with it very quickly. The phone's design still felt small enough and manageable even with the bigger screen. Even my petite wife remarked recently how much she liked my 2nd gen X.

Then.....my X died a premature death due to my own stupidity. And I had to revert back to my original Motomaker 1st gen to use. And, while it's still an awesome device, even running 4.4.4., I found the screen to be extremely small. Way too small for my preference. There's no way it could satisfy me after having enjoyed the 2nd gen's bigger screen. And since the 3rd gen has a bigger screen but is mere millimeters wider, I simply cannot wait until it is released so I can order one for myself.

And the bonus? I cut out a paper to the exact height/width of the 3rd gen and showed it to the wife and she said, "That's not bad. I could get used to that." So now she's on board with getting the 3rd gen X (or XPE -- X Pure Edition) along with me. She was going to take my 2nd gen as her new phone but that's impossible now. So she wants the XPE with a bamboo back, too.

All in all, that screen real estate is simply friggin' awesome. And the increased dimensions of the XPE are mainly in its height. And if my petite wife is game for it, then that disproves the notion that all smaller handed people are going to hate the new size.

I, for one, can't wait to get the larger screen back. As much as I loved the 1st gen's size, I love the 2nd gen even more and am very confident I'll love the XPE's screen size even more.

So BRING IT, Moto!!!!

Last edited:

russel5150

Jul 15, 2012
Visit site
Sounds like your all for the new bigger size!

To be honest when i got a note2 it felt huge, for a day or two after that it was normal.

A lot of people who are put off by the size get used to it quick and never look back.

Personally my turbo at 5.2 feels about as small as i would want to go, its about perfect for me, but i am used to the 5.7 of the note4 and it feels great too.

I hope the new motos are everything we want it to be.. My concern is the battery, it should have been bigger for that size screen. Fast charge or not im not always close to an outlet, and i have to have a phone last a long day.

Posted via the Android Central App

Sullie714

May 9, 2014
Visit site
Re: Bigger screen? Yes please!

I Concur. After having both moto x phones and now the Nexus 6 I am so looking forward to the combination of A nice big screen and the best software in any android device available.

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site

I feel like the note 4 hit the perfect form factor for me - and the 2015 X is the same size. I like using my wife's note 4, and I would buy another used one for myself (I've owned one twice) if the 2015 X and the new nexus both fall flat. Narrow enough to be comfortable to hold but has a large screen. I thought the turbo was a fine size too though. I'm really OK anywhere in between 5.2-5.7. The nexus 6 was just a tad too big and i sold it, it felt a little too much like holding a nexus 7.

I feel bad for people who want to return to the 4.7" days though. Ain't gonna happen with a flagship it looks like.

DC Wuff

Nov 26, 2009
Visit site

Amen to all of this. After switching my wife from her iPhone 5s to my old 2014 X (once Motorola pushed the 5.1 update and fixed all the 5.0-induced problems), I am dying to get the Moto features back. My Nexus 6 is great, except I could deal with it being a little narrower, and did I mention: I want my Moto back!

anon(5506951)

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
So, I'm still debating which phone to get, whether it be either of the Moto X phones or either of the Nexus phones. I'm really torn. To me, I think both of these Moto X phones have things the other needs. There needed to be only one Moto X, with the 5.5" 1080P screen and 3,630 mAh battery from the Play, and the SD 808 and the dual front stereo speakers from the Style. To me, that is the perfect Moto X. Whichever of these two phones I get, I feel like it will either be lacking or have too much.

anon(5506951)

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
Re: The Perfect Moto X

So, I'm still debating which phone to get, whether it be either of the Moto X phones or either of the Nexus phones. I'm really torn. To me, I think both of these Moto X phones have things the other needs. There needed to be only one Moto X, with the 5.5" 1080P screen and 3,630 mAh battery from the Play, and the SD 808 and the dual front stereo speakers from the Style. To me, that is the perfect Moto X. Whichever of these two phones I get, I feel like it will either be lacking or have too much. And with the lack of an AMOLED screen, I don't know how battery life will be affected.

anon(469638)

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site

So, I'm still debating which phone to get, whether it be either of the Moto X phones or either of the Nexus phones. I'm really torn. To me, I think both of these Moto X phones have things the other needs. There needed to be only one Moto X, with the 5.5" 1080P screen and 3,630 mAh battery from the Play, and the SD 808 and the dual front stereo speakers from the Style. To me, that is the perfect Moto X. Whichever of these two phones I get, I feel like it will either be lacking or have too much.

Until we see reviews, I wouldn't worry about battery life.

Honestly, what are people doing that you would constantly worry that your phone will die? There's not a single phone on the market that can guarantee all day battery life because:

1. Everyone uses their phones differently.
2. Bad signal strength in one area could destroy your battery.
3. Gaming hits the battery hard.

And everything else under the sun.

I remember my 2013 Moto X having great battery life despite having a small battery. If Motorola optimized things well, and you're not going all in on your phone for hours at a time, it should be fine.

Evilnut

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site

I think you are describing the DROID Turbo 2. Probably one of the biggest reasons why the X Pure is the way it is.

Posted via Android Central App from a beautiful Ebony backed Original Moto X or the amazing Nexus 10

anon(5506951)

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site

I think you are describing the DROID Turbo 2. Probably one of the biggest reasons why the X Pure is the way it is.

Posted via Android Central App from a beautiful Ebony backed Original Moto X or the amazing Nexus 10

I probably am, yeah. Too bad I'm not on Verizon.

Stanley Kubrick

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site

I think people are concerned about the battery because of the higher resolution screen. That would only apply if it "were" an AMOLED screen. LCD with a higher resolution just means more pixels in the TFT. There is still only one back light as in a smaller resolution LCD screen. Now, if the panel was an AMOLED at the higher resolution...as on the S6 and S6 Edge, then yes it will use more battery because there are many more pixels to light up. That's why so many of us who have AMOLED screens try to use dark themes to keep the power flow as low as possible. So in general AMOLED "should" use less juice, but in this case I think that a larger resolution AMOLED screen will use MORE power than the same resolution LCD. This is why, I believe, that Motorola decided to go with an LCD instead of an AMOLED on the Style/Pure. My $0.02

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc