Hits & Misses - What do you like most/least about the Moto X Style?

anon(469638)

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
What he said.

A "decent" size screen? There are plenty of tablets out there for you guys to use as phones. Meanwhile us people that want a normal phone that is actually usable are pushed to the side.

It's not a small screen for a phone. Everything else is just ridiculously large and should stay in the niche space instead of the norm.

People who want small screened phones are in the minority.

These companies spend millions on research. That research show's people want larger screens.

Basically you just have to deal with it. Until we reach a point in tech where screens as we know them are no longer needed, people will continue to want them.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
It will be a shame if fingerprint scanning across all Android devices ends up being buggy & unreliable. It works great on the iPad Air 2, and I've grown to rely on it heavily. I want the same quality on my next Android phone.

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk

Having it built into the code in Android M will be a big help to that.

eao1991

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
It will be a shame if fingerprint scanning across all Android devices ends up being buggy & unreliable. It works great on the iPad Air 2, and I've grown to rely on it heavily. I want the same quality on my next Android phone.

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk

Hopefully there are some improvements with Android fingerprint sensors within the next year. The one on my S6 is unreliable. It seems to hate my right thumb and it appears to have about 80% accuracy with my left one. The only time the fingerprint sensors on the iPhone 5s and 6+ gave me issues was when my fingers were slightly wet or a bit dirty, but that's expected.

Maybe this year's new Nexus devices will be a lot more reliable. Also, Qualcomm's Sense ID is interesting, but who knows when that will make it into devices.

Posted via the AC app

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site

These companies spend millions on research. That research show's people want larger screens.

Basically you just have to deal with it. Until we reach a point in tech where screens as we know them are no longer needed, people will continue to want them.
I would go so far as to say "tiny" minority. Apple wouldn't have 2 supersized phones if there was a huge population of people wanting 4.5 to 4.7 inch phones.

co.ag.2005

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
Hopefully there are some improvements with Android fingerprint sensors within the next year. The one on my S6 is unreliable. It seems to hate my right thumb and it appears to have about 80% accuracy with my left one. The only time the fingerprint sensors on the iPhone 5s and 6+ gave me issues was when my fingers were slightly wet or a bit dirty, but that's expected.

Maybe this year's new Nexus devices will be a lot more reliable. Also, Qualcomm's Sense ID is interesting, but who knows when that will make it into devices.

Posted via the AC app

have you set your right thumb up as 2 separate fingerprints? I always did this on my iPhone 6 with my right thumb since it was the majority thumb used to unlock the device. I did the same for the GS6 and seems to help. Maybe placebo though...

eao1991

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
have you set your right thumb up as 2 separate fingerprints? I always did this on my iPhone 6 with my right thumb since it was the majority thumb used to unlock the device. I did the same for the GS6 and seems to help. Maybe placebo though...

Yup. None of the tricks seem to work for it. I will say though that it works fine for the first couple days after setting it up. After more time passes though, it just gets less and less accurate to the point where I just stick to the left thumb.

Posted via the AC app

co.ag.2005

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
Yup. None of the tricks seem to work for it. I will say though that it works fine for the first couple days after setting it up. After more time passes though, it just gets less and less accurate to the point where I just stick to the left thumb.

Posted via the AC app

good to know. I turned mine off because I like to toggle settings from the notification bar at the lockscreen and it didn't seem to work when the phone was "locked". Locked now with just the "slide" option, and I can toggle switches from the lockscreen. But I will say the GS6 finger print sensor is very good considering where the GS5 was... not as good as my iPhone 6, but pretty close.

eao1991

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
good to know. I turned mine off because I like to toggle settings from the notification bar at the lockscreen and it didn't seem to work when the phone was "locked". Locked now with just the "slide" option, and I can toggle switches from the lockscreen. But I will say the GS6 finger print sensor is very good considering where the GS5 was... not as good as my iPhone 6, but pretty close.

Oh yeah it is way better than the one on the S5 and Note 4. I would disable it, but since my phone is encrypted, the only options I have are using a fingerprint or passcode. I'm curious to see if Samsung includes a better one in the Note 5 or if it'll basically be the same sensor.

Posted via the AC app

sixty_four

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site

Unfortunately, I suspect you're right. Large screens are currently more popular than ever. It's too bad "popular" rarely means "better".

Budweiser, chain restaurants, the Kardashians, One Direction, reality TV,...and now phones with screens no smaller than 5" ;)

thejesse

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
Re: The Perfect Moto X

Can't we just buy the Play from overseas? I'm sure it'll be compatible with our bands here no?

I don't believe the Play supports U.S. LTE bands. So you could import a Play and use it on T-mo or AT&T but you would be stuck on 3G.

Posted via the Android Central App

Cakefish

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site

I think the Canadian version is compatible with the US carriers. The UK/European version isn't though, from what I've read/heard.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

thejesse

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site

I think the Canadian version is compatible with the US carriers. The UK/European version isn't though, from what I've read/heard.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

If that's true, I would be very tempted to go with the Play instead of the Pure. Need that battery.

Cakefish

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site

If that's true, I would be very tempted to go with the Play instead of the Pure. Need that battery.

Here's the Canadian LTE support (taken from Motorola's Canadian site):

XT1563
GSM/GPRS/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz)
UMTS/HSPA+ (850, 900, 1700 (AWS), 1900, 2100 MHz)
4G LTE (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 12, 17, 28)

Is this what you need for US compatibility?

Source: http://www.motorola.ca/moto-x/moto-x-play-ca-en.html

thejesse

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site

Here's the Canadian LTE support (taken from Motorola's Canadian site):

XT1563
GSM/GPRS/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz)
UMTS/HSPA+ (850, 900, 1700 (AWS), 1900, 2100 MHz)
4G LTE (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 12, 17, 28)

Is this what you need for US compatibility?

Source: Moto X Play

I could very well be wrong, but that does look like it would work on AT&T.

adamgalas1

Jul 31, 2015
Visit site

LTE bands 2,4,12 are t-mobile, 2,4,17 AT&T, 2,4, 13 Verizon, sprint 25,26,41, us cellular 5,12.

so yes x play should work on tmo and AT&T if you import it.

Keep in mind there are some downsides to the play.

Mainly only 16gb memory available, no moto maker, 2gb memory, and slightly smaller screen.

But with a 1080 screen and a battery that big I imagine max brightness screen on Time would come in around 9 to 10 hours.

Last edited:

Cakefish

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site

LTE bands 2,4,12 are t-mobile, 2,4,17 AT&T, 2,4, 13 Verizon, sprint 25,26,41, us cellular 5,12.

Mainly only 16gb memory available, no moto maker, 2gb memory, and slightly smaller screen.

But with a 1080 screen and a battery that big I imagine max brightness screen on Time would come in around 9 to 10 hours.

Moto X Play also has a 32GB version and Moto Maker.

Source: https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...co.uk%2Fproducts%2Fmoto-x-play&token=rSYEPWN0

Edit: oops I realise Moto Maker isn't available in Canada. Sorry.

Last edited:

cdubb1

Feb 23, 2015
Visit site

That "slightly smaller" screen is NOT a downside. It's 5.5 inches. Still huge.

cdubb1

Feb 23, 2015
Visit site
Re: Hits & Misses - What do you like most/least about the Moto X Style?

Unfortunately, I suspect you're right. Large screens are currently more popular than ever. It's too bad "popular" rarely means "better".

Budweiser, chain restaurants, the Kardashians, One Direction, reality TV,...and now phones with screens no smaller than 5" ;)
VERY well said. I'd always choose a craft beer, or a local restaurant, or music no one's ever heard of over the popular crap.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robbyworkman1995