Hits & Misses - What do you like most/least about the Moto X Style?

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
The Nexus line is too boring for me.

With the Moto lines, you get the Google experience with useful additions from Motorola.

My phone talks to me while driving.

I have no use for an LED notification light with Moto Display.

Posted via Android Central App (Moto X)

Channan

Keyboard Warrior
Mar 21, 2010
Visit site
you should definitely hold out for the Nexus. Google hasn't confirmed it yet, but based on rumors it's pretty safe to say they're offering a 5.2" version made by LG.

it'll have the same features as the Pure, except for Moto's software enhancements (Voice, Assist, Actions & Display).

the nexus should have USB-C and a fingerprint sensor though. I think it'll be priced in the same ballpark.

if you prefer 5.2" to 5.7" and want the sensor, I'd definitely wait it out ... should only be a couple extra months so it'll extend the life of your current device, saving you a few extra bucks, never a bad thing!

let us know what you decide to do.

Not to seem shallow or anything, but how the Nexus looks will also play a big part in whether I purchase it. The Moto X is a really nice looking phone, and I really like the walnut option. If the LG Nexus doesn't look nice, I most likely won't even consider it.

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Not to seem shallow or anything, but how the Nexus looks will also play a big part in whether I purchase it. The Moto X is a really nice looking phone, and I really like the walnut option. If the LG Nexus doesn't look nice, I most likely won't even consider it.

yeah I don't really put much thought into aesthetics but realize people do, nothing shallow about that.

I need two phones so I'll most likely grab the Pure and one of the Nexus phones. gotta admit, in excited to go on moto maker and that's definitely a unique experience. I'll be like a kid on Christmas Eve waiting for it to ship and see how the design I chose actually looks.

I'll probably go black front, dark gray accents with the ebony wood ... no case.

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
yeah I actually think moto has the best UX by far, I prefer it to stock. the subtle enhancements are perfect. I need two phones this year but if I had to choose one, it'd be a tough decision. if probably go with whichever has the bigger battery.

co.ag.2005

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
Re: Hits & Misses - What do you like most/least about the Style?

i was really excited about it, but the LCD screen. I wear polarized sunglasses and having issues with my screen would be a non-starter.

agreed. This is my biggest gripe with Android OEMs who use LCD screens. I wear polarized sunglasses and hate losing visibility in landscape (yes, I know the physics behind it and why it behaves this way). As much hate as Apple gets on Android-focused forums, the method/tech they use to sandwich their LCD screens together causes it not to behave this way... something I really enjoyed on my iPhone 6 and past iPhones.

b_slow1

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
Moto X Pure Edition: 5.7" Display too big?

I know, I know.... I'm in the minority on this one. I'm one of these people that wishes someone would make a nice, small flagship smartphone like the original Moto X. For my use, larger screens don't do much for me. I don't watch movies. I don't watch Youtube videos on it, I don't play games. So the large screen real-estate doesn't benefit me for just occasional web-browsing or looking something up on Maps.

I really love Moto's "touchless control" features, so I can't even switch to something like Sony's Xperia Z4 Compact (if it ever gets released).

I'd love for them to come out with a Moto X Mini...

jephanie

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
re: The Moto X Pure - It's too BIG

There are several other threads about the size so this feels a little redundant but I, for one, welcome the change because it's nearly the same width of the LG G4 but with the awesome Moto UX. The bigger screen on the gen 2 X was great and I will benefit from it because I watch more and more videos and movies on my phone than I used to just a year or so ago. They kept the package as small as possible but are matching the most popular screen sizes currently out there (Apple can't be wrong all the time).

b_slow1

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site

Have you looked at something like the Moto G?
I have. I just wish Motorola would include the "touchless control" features into the Moto G, and then it would be a great choice for me. I happen to use the touchless controls a lot; I know some people find it to be a gimmicky addition though.

RHChan84

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site

I have the G3 with 5.5" screen and I wish it was slightly larger. I think the N6 is perfect and the 5.7 would be nice. Haven't seen or played with a 5.7" screen phone but I'm sure it would be close to the N6

Evilnut

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site

I was all set to buy the new Moto X pure edition the day it came out. But now that it seems there will be a LG Nexus that supposably is 5.2 inches, I am going to wait and check that out first before I purchase a new smartphone. I love the size of my original moto X and now realize that 5.2 inches is the new 4.7 :). So hopefully the new Nexus knocks it out of the park for me.

Posted via Android Central App from a beautiful Ebony backed Original Moto X or the amazing Nexus 10

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

I was all set to buy the new Moto X pure edition the day it came out. But now that it seems there will be a LG Nexus that supposably is 5.2 inches, I am going to wait and check that out first before I purchase a new smartphone. I love the size of my original moto X and now realize that 5.2 inches is the new 4.7 :). So hopefully the new Nexus knocks it out of the park for me.

Posted via Android Central App from a beautiful Ebony backed Original Moto X or the amazing Nexus 10

Coming from a first gen Moto X, I don't think I could go to the Google experience of the Nexus devices for my next phone.

I would love the rumored smaller form factor but Motorola's enhancements gave fundamentally changed how I use a smartphone. Moto Actions, Display, and Voice are all great features.

Evilnut

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site

Coming from a first gen Moto X, I don't think I could go to the Google experience of the Nexus devices for my next phone.

I would love the rumored smaller form factor but Motorola's enhancements gave fundamentally changed how I use a smartphone. Moto Actions, Display, and Voice are all great features.

I totally agree with you about the added features that Motorola uses to enhance the pure Android experience. But, after handling some larger phones at Best Buy, I just do not know if it's going to work out for me. I work outside for a living and need to carry my phone with me, and having a phone much larger than my original moto X it's just going to be very difficult and possibly be fatal to the phone because of its size. Since I absolutely have to have a fairly rugged case on my phone, it would make the new Moto X significantly larger than it already is. So, 5.2 inch Nexus seems like it will probably be closer in size to the original Moto X. So that is what I may have to go with.

somdave2005

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site

I'm coming from a oneplus one and the Moto X style's width is the same as that, so I think I'll be fine. The new Galaxy Note 5 also has the same width as well. 76 mm I think.

Posted via the Android Central App

happasaiyan

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site

I have. I just wish Motorola would include the "touchless control" features into the Moto G, and then it would be a great choice for me. I happen to use the touchless controls a lot; I know some people find it to be a gimmicky addition though.

The 2014 X is still a great phone...

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site

When the phone was announced, I too thought it was too big. I still wish they had stuck with a size similar to the 2014 version rather than bump the size up. However, I got the chance to play with a friend's iPhone 6+ the other day, which is a little larger than the Moto Style. I have to say the size was not off-putting at all, and I've heard the Style fits your hand better than similarly sized phones. I'm withholding judgment until I can handle one in person, but I'm thinking Moto will do ok with the size. It will help that the phone will be readily accessible to handle in places like Best Buy.

Photo_Drew

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site

When the phone was announced, I too thought it was too big. I still wish they had stuck with a size similar to the 2014 version rather than bump the size up. However, I got the chance to play with a friend's iPhone 6+ the other day, which is a little larger than the Moto Style. I have to say the size was not off-putting at all, and I've heard the Style fits your hand better than similarly sized phones. I'm withholding judgment until I can handle one in person, but I'm thinking Moto will do ok with the size. It will help that the phone will be readily accessible to handle in places like Best Buy.

I generally don't like the huge phones either but I agree the 6+ handles okay. It's easy to get used to and with the Moto design I'm sure the X will be fine. Looking forward to getting mine.

Von Spradlin

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site

I really feel 5.2 is the sweet spot. Not to big, and not to small.

I have read this exact same "sweet spot" quote since 2010... Only first it was 4.0 was perfect..... Then 4.3.... Then 4.7.... Then 5.0... Even 5.5.....

I must admit... Your 5.2 was the first time I saw that particular size, so cheers mate! You're the first I've seen actually go down in size!

RapidTurtle

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site

I have read this exact same "sweet spot" quote since 2010... Only first it was 4.0 was perfect..... Then 4.3.... Then 4.7.... Then 5.0... Even 5.5.....

I must admit... Your 5.2 was the first time I saw that particular size, so cheers mate! You're the first I've seen actually go down in size!

That's just the right size for me. I had the original Moto X and now the 2014. The 2014 just seems perfect. My son has a Iphone 6 plus, and I just think it looks stupid when he uses it. To big to carry in a pocket comfortably.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cy3berOdyssey