Hits & Misses - What do you like most/least about the Moto X Style?

ScottMGS

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
Re: Moto Style too Small!

Once reviewers and trend-hounds realize that the larger screens are better for older people with failing eyesight (e.g. me) then large phones won't be cool any more and they'll start getting smaller. ;-) First, though, we'll need a more compact battery so they can get smaller without losing capability.

Stanley Kubrick

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site

I think 6" is about it. I believe there is a 6.1" out there but it was some no-name brand.
Any larger and you might as well just put a phone in a tablet!
Any larger and it will look stupid holding a laptop to your head! :confused:

edgar

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site

5.2'' is my threshold
Once they start not fitting in the cup holder or pockets it is an issue.

Also I am a one hander. I need to be able to pull notification drawer down from the top of the screen with my thumb.

The only benefit I see to bigger screens is watching videos and viewing photos.

I wish android would at least have more things fit on the screen with larger phones.
What I mean is on a moto x 4.7 or nexus 6 homescreen both device fit the same amount of app icons. The icons are just bigger. That's fine for my my mom, she wears glasses, but too large for me. It doesn't look aesthetically pleasing.

thejesse

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
For me, the trick with a large screen is having a slim case that covers the screen too. That way you can stuff it in any pocket without worry. I had a Note 3 for 18 months, and a great cheap flip over case.

I have now used my 2013 Moto G exclusively for 2 - 3 months until I get something better.

Apart from the small screen and typing difficulties, I have been enjoying holding and using it with one hand; and going naked after all this time.

This. For whatever reason I find my OnePlus One with a flip case more comfortable to use than my named moto X 2014. My hope is this will be the same case with the Moto Pure, put a flip case on it and happily put that large screen to use.

Posted via the Android Central App

thejesse

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
Re: The Moto X Pure - It's too BIG

Neither of which is anywhere near as bad as the Internet says they are. I usually get to bed before mine hits 15%. The camera is capable of some pretty decent shots, it is just inconsistent. But if you want quality shots, use an actual camera.

For 300$ the 2014 X is a steal. It is probably the best simi-budget buy right now. It runs so well on 5.1

Sent from my XT1096

I agree as far as the camera is concerned. I don't need a better camera, I need a more consistent camera. As for battery life, however, my 2014 X absolutely cannot make it through the day without a charge. Really hoping for something better from the third gen.

Posted via the Android Central App

streetkilln

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site

I think 6" is about it. I believe there is a 6.1" out there but it was some no-name brand.
Any larger and you might as well just put a phone in a tablet!
Any larger and it will look stupid holding a laptop to your head! :confused:
Galaxy mega 6.3 yea it was made few years ago

Shermdiggity

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site
As has been said many times, I wish the phone was a little smaller. I also don't like that it doesn't have an IR blaster. I actually use mine quite a bit.

Posted via Android Central App

jephanie

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
Based on the sample videos that are starting to pop up on YouTube and based on reports of good battery life on comparably sized phablets with 3,000mAh batteries, I'm changing my original "I wish" to the XPE having OIS. The overall image quality seems to be very good and will likely get improvement tweaks like both previous generations did but you can see the odd fluttering that occurs when shooting video and moving the phone too quickly.

And, also, why is iOS able to record sound in slo-mo but Android cannot? That seems weird they haven't added that in yet.

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Based on the sample videos that are starting to pop up on YouTube and based on reports of good battery life on comparably sized phablets with 3,000mAh batteries, I'm changing my original "I wish" to the XPE having OIS. The overall image quality seems to be very good and will likely get improvement tweaks like both previous generations did but you can see the odd fluttering that occurs when shooting video and moving the phone too quickly.

And, also, why is iOS able to record sound in slo-mo but Android cannot? That seems weird they haven't added that in yet.

yeah iOS executes their slow motion much better than Android.

I just did a search to see if maybe M will add audio, but didn't find anything.

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
Honestly, at the starting price of $399, there really isn't room to complain about anything with this phone. If I had to nitpick, I'd say I'm mildly concerned about battery life and the lack of OIS. But really, other than that? Nothing. If they were asking a flagship price, I'd mention more, but $400 is an astoundingly good deal for a QHD 5.7" phone that is really solid from top to bottom.

Cakefish

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site
Re: Hits & Misses - What do you like most/least about the Moto X Style?

Lack of OIS has been proven to be a slight low light hindrance (relative to other flagships). This camera isn't as good in low light as the S6 or G4.

I've been using this camera for a few days now. It's been recently confirmed that Moto X Play has much more similar camera prowess to Moto X Style than previously thought. It does in fact have PDAF, Closed Loop Processing as well as Video Stabilisation. So literally the only difference is the speed of the ISP - that's why Play lacks burst mode, 4K/HDR 60fps video. Other than that, it's identical. That's why I can speak with confidence about the Style's camera.

So, I would say that the lack of OIS and Laser Focus is noticeable when comparing to other flagships. The camera is still great though and takes better low light images than the Nexus 5 which does have OIS.

Sent from my XT1562 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

benjamminh

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site

If so, the other big question is battery life. What are your observations on it?

He has the Play, not the Style/Pure. So if anyone would like to wager/estimate/guess a conversion factor with these differences between the two phones:

1. Moto Play has a 20% larger battery
2. Moto Play has a lower resolution screen than the Style/Pure
3. Moto Play's screen is .2" smaller, not a big difference.
4. Differences in the processors between the two phones
5. Other "X" factors I have not considered

So my totally uneducated and unscientific guess is that for SOT (screen on time)--the Pure/Style will have approximately 30% less screen on time. So let's say SOT for the Play is 6 hours, that would be 4.2 hours for the Pure/Style.
But we'll know more once the Pure/Style is actually released and the embargoes on reviews on it are lifted and we can do some direct comparisons.

Cakefish

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site

If so, the other big question is battery life. What are your observations on it?
It's a little more unfair to draw comparisons between Style and Play in that regard because, unlike the camera, the batteries are quite different indeed. 3630mAh capacity, a lower-powered Snapdragon 615 and a 'mere' FHD resolution.

Having said that, you want to know, so I won't keep this info hidden from you. You can get over 8 hours SOT with the Play if you don't go too crazy on the screen brightness and GPS usage. On a particularly sunny day that requires much higher brightness I get around 6-7 hours SOT. On a frickin' crazy all-out day with constant GPS, high brightness, heavy camera usage and other power hogs I get 5 hours SOT.

The following was achieved without the use of the power saving mode in Lollipop (the one that can automatically kick in at 15% or 5% depending on settings):

b5870f77dc193383e5c820ab43abf119.jpg

3ad48bd6b0cd4aa6a27c83d5625cbcb1.jpg

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Honestly, at the starting price of $399, there really isn't room to complain about anything with this phone. If I had to nitpick, I'd say I'm mildly concerned about battery life and the lack of OIS. But really, other than that? Nothing. If they were asking a flagship price, I'd mention more, but $400 is an astoundingly good deal for a QHD 5.7" phone that is really solid from top to bottom.

features, yes, I agree with not being able to complain (that won't stop us though). performance is another issue. I'll be curious to see what impact Lenovo has on future updates, so it'll be some time for a fair evaluation.

as far as being concerned with battery, I agree, obviously would've liked to had seen them use the same size as the Play version, but I'll reserve judgment, especially since I've never had quick charge.

Last edited:

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site

Lack of OIS has been proven to be a slight low light hindrance (relative to other flagships). This camera isn't as good in low light as the S6 or G4.

I've been using this camera for a few days now. It's been recently confirmed that Moto X Play has much more similar camera prowess to Moto X Style than previously thought. It does in fact have PDAF, Closed Loop Processing as well as Video Stabilisation. So literally the only difference is the speed of the ISP - that's why Play lacks burst mode, 4K/HDR 60fps video. Other than that, it's identical. That's why I can speak with confidence about the Style's camera.

So, I would say that the lack of OIS and Laser Focus is noticeable when comparing to other flagships. The camera is still great though and takes better low light images than the Nexus 5 which does have OIS.

is there a single Moto fan that wouldn't have signed up for it being slightly below the S6/G4? I'm happy we're using it in the same sentence. always room for improvement, but sounds like Moto actually made some decent progress this year.

** and I'll leave out the whole, yeah but it's only $400 thing. reading Phil's review on the Moto G was so annoying, he finished every paragraph (mentioned the price 12x in that review ... not that I'm counting) reminding us it's a $200 smartphone, we get it!

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site

He has the Play, not the Style/Pure. So if anyone would like to wager/estimate/guess a conversion factor with these differences between the two phones:

1. Moto Play has a 20% larger battery
2. Moto Play has a lower resolution screen than the Style/Pure
3. Moto Play's screen is .2" smaller, not a big difference.
4. Differences in the processors between the two phones
5. Other "X" factors I have not considered

So my totally uneducated and unscientific guess is that for SOT (screen on time)--the Pure/Style will have approximately 30% less screen on time. So let's say SOT for the Play is 6 hours, that would be 4.2 hours for the Pure/Style.
But we'll know more once the Pure/Style is actually released and the embargoes on reviews on it are lifted and we can do some direct comparisons.

you forgot to show your work, where's the algorithm that went into that?!?

benjamminh

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site

If the Play does have a solid 8 hours SOT (your mileage may vary a lot, I'm sort of skeptical for my use) I would be very satisfied if the Pure/Style achieved 5.4 hours SOT for what it's worth.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar