10-09-2015 12:03 PM
145 1234 ...
tools
    Too bad G4 isn't in the charts..I'm sure it will push it even further down. I'm disappointed too but I'm wondering if that lens from Sony has some issues. Even Sony didn't put OIS when they used this sensor in all it's phones. Makes you wonder what is up with that. I'll buy the phone either way and test it out myself but hoping to have decent night time shots. Looking at MKBHD video, camera is super fast!
    Sony has never used this sensor before. Moto will be the first with it. And the decision to not have OIS has nothing to do with the sensor either. There's been many cases in the past that Sony didn't use OIS but another manufacturer did, when using the same chip.
    07-30-2015 04:06 PM
    No CameraApi2 support :-( Fail.

Sorry, but can't be best in class, or even close, without it nowadays.
    This is what I was worried about.....

Posted via the Android Central App
    08-01-2015 12:28 PM
    How many phones support that right now?
    08-01-2015 12:55 PM
    I am curious what the reason is behind not putting OIS in the camera, is it performing well enough without it?
    08-01-2015 01:21 PM
    Hopefully the answer is yes and not because of the cost.
    08-01-2015 01:47 PM
    This will be the best camera phone Motorola has ever released.

Not that the bar is high.

Posted via Android Central App (Moto X)
    Aquila and maxman1 like this.
    08-01-2015 05:31 PM
    How many phones support that right now?
    The GS6 and LG g4 do. I'm sure the note 5 will as well. I think the nexus 6 is but not positive. But LG is the only one NOT putting an artificial limit on long shutterspeeds.

This is the thing. Google made a big deal about CameraApi2 with the Lollipop release, but few manufacturers are getting on board. This is a big deal for serious mobile photogs, but we're a minority. Since it's built in to Lollipop, it should be easily added. But it's not going to be added unless we are vocal about it.
    08-01-2015 06:40 PM
    I am curious what the reason is behind not putting OIS in the camera, is it performing well enough without it?
    figured the benefits of having the lower cost would outweigh if they added it but had to charge an extra $30-$40 .... I'll reserve judgment. The iPhone doesn't have it (except on the 6+) and it takes great pictures IMO.

Truth is, this phone isn't meant for people that want the best camera, that's what the G4 and S6 are for. This is about owning an affordable, unlocked device free of bloatware and carrier branding, with near stock and the best UX in the business. No doubt there are some things we have to live without, OIS, being one of em, but for a $399 base price I can't really complain. If the camera is on par with the iPhone, and just a notch down from the S6/G4, I'd consider it a huge success.

08-01-2015 10:32 PM
    figured the benefits of having the lower cost would outweigh if they added it but had to charge an extra $30-$40 .... I'll reserve judgment. The iPhone doesn't have it (except on the 6+) and it takes great pictures IMO.

Truth is, this phone isn't meant for people that want the best camera, that's what the G4 and S6 are for. This is about owning an affordable, unlocked device free of bloatware and carrier branding, with near stock and the best UX in the business. No doubt there are some things we have to live without, OIS, being one of em, but for a $399 base price I can't really complain. If the camera is on par with the iPhone, and just a notch down from the S6/G4, I'd consider it a huge success.

But there's no reason they can't support CameraApi2. None. Especially if they are going to brag on it as much as they have. Adding software support for something that's natively in Lollipop can't cost them much.
    08-02-2015 12:51 AM
    But there's no reason they can't support CameraApi2. None. Especially if they are going to brag on it as much as they have. Adding software support for something that's natively in Lollipop can't cost them much.
    Or, CameraApi2 isn't as much a godsend as some may believe.

Everything Google adds to ASOP isn't great. An example of that being the notification settings release in Lollipop initially. They were terrible and confusing.
    08-02-2015 06:54 AM
    Or, CameraApi2 isn't as much a godsend as some may believe.

Everything Google adds to ASOP isn't great. An example of that being the notification settings release in Lollipop initially. They were terrible and confusing.
    No one said it's a godsend. But it enables quite a bit of features for serious photographers. If you don't want or understand those features, that's fine. But many of us do.
    08-02-2015 09:40 AM
    to be honest I don't know anything about CameraApi2, but thanks for pointing it out ... I'll check it out. Camera isn't a huge priority for me, and if it takes good enough pics I don't really care what the specs say. I bring my regular camera to family functions when I know I want better pics, and I just use my phone for random pics, though admittedly those are usually times where the best memories happen, so I'm not trying to downplay the importance of a great camera. I'd get the iPhone 6+, S6 or G4 if I wanted a better camera ... that said, and the iPhone is a perfect example, I certainly agree that the properly optimized software is a lot more important than the spec sheet. Hopefully if this CameraApi2 is so vital, they've replaced it (if that's a possibility, like I said, I don't know) with something equally as efficient. bottom line, I'll reserve judgment on the camera until I see side by side pics, and if it's even in the same ballpark as the G4/S6, at $400 I'll be more than satisfied.

Ralph Seifer likes this.
    08-02-2015 11:08 AM
    No one said it's a godsend. But it enables quite a bit of features for serious photographers. If you don't want or understand those features, that's fine. But many of us do.
    I'm simply saying that there could be many reasons for any OEM to not add features to their own devices.

Also, many people that consider themselves 'serious' photographers carry non-smartphone cameras with them whenever possible.

Even if the saying is true that the vest camera is the one you have on you, it would be good to always try to have a good, compact camera with you if at all possible. Relying on smartphone cameras, despite their strides, still lack the feature set of dedicated hardware.
    08-02-2015 12:16 PM
    Would the new camera API open more things up for Motorola's own camera app?

I would think that Motorola could do everything they needed on their native camera app without including the new API.

08-02-2015 12:22 PM
    Would the new camera API open more things up for Motorola's own camera app?

I would think that Motorola could do everything they needed on their native camera app without including the new API.

The main benefit of Camera2API support is that it allows camera software to allow a more powerful quite of settings be manually adjusted (shutterspeed, burst modes) a long with RAW capture for editing in Photoshop. Because Google implemented this into the core Android code, the heavy lifting is done. Motorola could enable support for this and not utilize it with their own camera software, as third part apps could make use of it (FV-5, Manual camera are 2 great third party apps). But to date, they haven't done so.

See this link that discusses some of the aspects, from when it was announced last fall.

Android L Camera 2 API Features Include Burst Mode, HDR+ and More | NDTV Gadgets
    08-02-2015 12:44 PM
    The main benefit of Camera2API support is that it allows camera software to allow a more powerful quite of settings be manually adjusted (shutterspeed, burst modes) a long with RAW capture for editing in Photoshop. Because Google implemented this into the core Android code, the heavy lifting is done. Motorola could enable support for this and not utilize it with their own camera software, as third part apps could make use of it (FV-5, Manual camera are 2 great third party apps). But to date, they haven't done so.

See this link that discusses some of the aspects, from when it was announced last fall.

Android L Camera 2 API Features Include Burst Mode, HDR+ and More | NDTV Gadgets
    What I'm getting at is that Motorola can make their camera great without the new camera API. Essentially, not including it limits third party camera apps. And when it comes down to Motorola calling their camera good, it's gonna be with their software.

ewak12321 likes this.
    08-02-2015 01:41 PM
    What I'm getting at is that Motorola can make their camera great without the new camera API. Essentially, not including it limits third party camera apps. And when it comes down to Motorola calling their camera good, it's gonna be with their software.

It's more than that. They are missing all the manual control functionality that serious photographers want.

But you obviously want to defend them no matter what and ignore the facts. And that's your right. Just as it's my right to call them out as being hypocritical when they are going to make claims of "best in class camera" when they don't even have third in class functionality.
    08-02-2015 01:52 PM
    It's more than that. They are missing all the manual control functionality that serious photographers want.

But you obviously want to defend them no matter what and ignore the facts. And that's your right. Just as it's my right to call them out as being hypocritical when they are going to make claims of "best in class camera" when they don't even have third in class functionality.
    Fact is CarmeraAPI2 is irrelevant to Motorola's own camera app because Motorola can already have control of the options the new API makes available.

Even if the Motorola camera had that fine control that "serious" photographers "want", you'd still complain about no CameraAPI2.

08-02-2015 05:22 PM
    Fact is CarmeraAPI2 is irrelevant to Motorola's own camera app because Motorola can already have control of the options the new API makes available.

Even if the Motorola camera had that fine control that "serious" photographers "want", you'd still complain about no CameraAPI2.

Please don't tell me what I'd complain about. You're obviously just looking to justify their oversight. I don't care if they develop their own standards to use instead did Google CameraApi2. I just want them to do better than their sad software attempts to date.
    08-02-2015 07:47 PM
    Please don't tell me what I'd complain about. You're obviously just looking to justify their oversight. I don't care if they develop their own standards to use instead did Google CameraApi2. I just want them to do better than their sad software attempts to date.
    I'm just saying Camera API 2 isn't necessary for quality photos.

08-02-2015 09:41 PM
    This article is the extent of my CameraApi2 knowledge.

http://spectrastudy.com/camera2-api-...-2015-devices/

I would assume that if not included, it either lacks the necessary hardware or was cost prohibitive. The other possibility, albeit unlikely, would be Moto developed something comparable, which obviously would've been something they purchased from another company.

I was surprised to see that currently there are no devices that are fully supported.

I think the bottom line is that the Moto X isn't the phone for "serious" photographers. I'm not expecting S6/G4 quality photos, but I'm also not shelling out $600+ for the better camera. I think it comes down to actual results. The M9 has it, and at least the photos I saw were inferior to the G4/S6/iPhone 6+. They're certainly not awful, but the beauty about Android is there's something for everybody.

If camera is what's most important, the G4 or S6 would be a great choice. Personally, I want a reasonably priced, bloat free phone that runs stock and has a great UX, so I'll be looking at the Moto X and Nexus this year.

Moto has never been known for their camera, and I never pay any attention to the lip service from their executives. I mean really, what do you expect them to say? If suddenly that changes, and they all of a sudden make a great camera, that'd be awesome, I just don't think it's realistic though. Like the M10, I highly doubt their gonna all of a sudden make a great camera. And Samsung, when they said TW was gonna be SO much lighter and almost bloat free, did people really believe that? Sure it's lighter, and a lot more tolerable, but it's still TW and it's still Samsung.

Just like it's still Moto, and their known for their user experience, reasonably priced bloat free phones. To think a serious photographer is going to have the same experience on the Moto X, at $399 as they would on the S6, just doesn't seem realistic.
    On2Vegas and Ralph Seifer like this.
    08-02-2015 11:00 PM
    Let's make this really simple.

Buy another phone that makes use of those oh so important lines of code.
    08-02-2015 11:14 PM
    Let's make this really simple.

Buy another phone that makes use of those oh so important lines of code.
    Wow. I never thought of this. Thanks for your suggestion!

I probably will end up with something else. But I will hound motorola (and any other phone manufacturer) who claims to be having a high end camera experience, when it's obvious it's just lip service.
    08-02-2015 11:56 PM
    The phone isn't even out yet. lol.

happasaiyan and Aquila like this.
    08-03-2015 12:23 AM
    Wow. I never thought of this. Thanks for your suggestion!

I probably will end up with something else. But I will hound motorola (and any other phone manufacturer) who claims to be having a high end camera experience, when it's obvious it's just lip service.
    so I guess they're supposed to say their camera sucks since it's not as good as the S6 and lacks the software you expected?

I thought you raised a decent point at first and took the time to explore your argument, but clearly you have an ax to grind over corporate wording that every single executive alive is trained to say.

good luck "hounding" Motorola, and despite never using the camera, proving that it's inadequate simply because it lacks the software you declare essential for a high end camera experience.

kingorkid likes this.
    08-03-2015 01:44 AM
145 1234 ...