Moto X Style: Camera Samples, DxOMark, dpreview

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Re: Camera samples / DXO report

This sounds promising but ... I want to see reviewers with it.
^^ this. If it's actually industry leading that's addressing the primary of their two weak points head on.

M Dev Nexus 6 Assassin Edition. Gonfaloniere

KWKSLVR

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site

I'm sure it's more cost than that just from a software development standpoint. I do not expect Motorola to do anything amazing in the camera department until they shell out big bucks to someone that knows what they're doing. Remember when Google said the camera on the Galaxy Nexus was gonna be soooooooo amazing? Yeah, I look at Motorola's claims like that. And don't get me wrong, I love me some Moto.

syspry

Banned
Apr 6, 2015
Visit site

When there is a tie for 2nd place, then those two are considered "top 3" regardless of whatever the topic/category may be. So they are accurate to say they are in the top three of smartphone camera devices based on that rank from that site. That also explains why they didn't say "we're the 3rd best" or "we're the 2nd best" because, from a marketing standpoint, the way they described their position is accurate and sounds more easily marketable.
To be more specific, dpreview went on record to say "3rd place" whereas dxo simply shoved it in 3rd place in their website ranking script despite equal scores. In either case we're severely nitpicking here so it doesn't actually matter.

noobsquared

Apr 6, 2012
Visit site

Too bad G4 isn't in the charts..I'm sure it will push it even further down. I'm disappointed too but I'm wondering if that lens from Sony has some issues. Even Sony didn't put OIS when they used this sensor in all it's phones. Makes you wonder what is up with that. I'll buy the phone either way and test it out myself but hoping to have decent night time shots. Looking at MKBHD video, camera is super fast!

Shepx13

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site

Too bad G4 isn't in the charts..I'm sure it will push it even further down. I'm disappointed too but I'm wondering if that lens from Sony has some issues. Even Sony didn't put OIS when they used this sensor in all it's phones. Makes you wonder what is up with that. I'll buy the phone either way and test it out myself but hoping to have decent night time shots. Looking at MKBHD video, camera is super fast!

Sony has never used this sensor before. Moto will be the first with it. And the decision to not have OIS has nothing to do with the sensor either. There's been many cases in the past that Sony didn't use OIS but another manufacturer did, when using the same chip.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
Re: Moto X Style Camera samples / DXO report

I am curious what the reason is behind not putting OIS in the camera, is it performing well enough without it?

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

This will be the best camera phone Motorola has ever released.

Not that the bar is high. :)

Posted via Android Central App (Moto X)

Shepx13

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site

How many phones support that right now?

The GS6 and LG g4 do. I'm sure the note 5 will as well. I think the nexus 6 is but not positive. But LG is the only one NOT putting an artificial limit on long shutterspeeds.

This is the thing. Google made a big deal about CameraApi2 with the Lollipop release, but few manufacturers are getting on board. This is a big deal for serious mobile photogs, but we're a minority. Since it's built in to Lollipop, it should be easily added. But it's not going to be added unless we are vocal about it.

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
I am curious what the reason is behind not putting OIS in the camera, is it performing well enough without it?

figured the benefits of having the lower cost would outweigh if they added it but had to charge an extra $30-$40 .... I'll reserve judgment. The iPhone doesn't have it (except on the 6+) and it takes great pictures IMO.

Truth is, this phone isn't meant for people that want the best camera, that's what the G4 and S6 are for. This is about owning an affordable, unlocked device free of bloatware and carrier branding, with near stock and the best UX in the business. No doubt there are some things we have to live without, OIS, being one of em, but for a $399 base price I can't really complain. If the camera is on par with the iPhone, and just a notch down from the S6/G4, I'd consider it a huge success.

Posted via the Android Central App

Shepx13

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site

figured the benefits of having the lower cost would outweigh if they added it but had to charge an extra $30-$40 .... I'll reserve judgment. The iPhone doesn't have it (except on the 6+) and it takes great pictures IMO.

Truth is, this phone isn't meant for people that want the best camera, that's what the G4 and S6 are for. This is about owning an affordable, unlocked device free of bloatware and carrier branding, with near stock and the best UX in the business. No doubt there are some things we have to live without, OIS, being one of em, but for a $399 base price I can't really complain. If the camera is on par with the iPhone, and just a notch down from the S6/G4, I'd consider it a huge success.

But there's no reason they can't support CameraApi2. None. Especially if they are going to brag on it as much as they have. Adding software support for something that's natively in Lollipop can't cost them much.

anon(469638)

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
But there's no reason they can't support CameraApi2. None. Especially if they are going to brag on it as much as they have. Adding software support for something that's natively in Lollipop can't cost them much.

Or, CameraApi2 isn't as much a godsend as some may believe.

Everything Google adds to ASOP isn't great. An example of that being the notification settings release in Lollipop initially. They were terrible and confusing.

Shepx13

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site

Or, CameraApi2 isn't as much a godsend as some may believe.

Everything Google adds to ASOP isn't great. An example of that being the notification settings release in Lollipop initially. They were terrible and confusing.
No one said it's a godsend. But it enables quite a bit of features for serious photographers. If you don't want or understand those features, that's fine. But many of us do.

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site

to be honest I don't know anything about CameraApi2, but thanks for pointing it out ... I'll check it out. Camera isn't a huge priority for me, and if it takes good enough pics I don't really care what the specs say. I bring my regular camera to family functions when I know I want better pics, and I just use my phone for random pics, though admittedly those are usually times where the best memories happen, so I'm not trying to downplay the importance of a great camera. I'd get the iPhone 6+, S6 or G4 if I wanted a better camera ... that said, and the iPhone is a perfect example, I certainly agree that the properly optimized software is a lot more important than the spec sheet. Hopefully if this CameraApi2 is so vital, they've replaced it (if that's a possibility, like I said, I don't know) with something equally as efficient. bottom line, I'll reserve judgment on the camera until I see side by side pics, and if it's even in the same ballpark as the G4/S6, at $400 I'll be more than satisfied.

anon(469638)

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site

No one said it's a godsend. But it enables quite a bit of features for serious photographers. If you don't want or understand those features, that's fine. But many of us do.

I'm simply saying that there could be many reasons for any OEM to not add features to their own devices.

Also, many people that consider themselves 'serious' photographers carry non-smartphone cameras with them whenever possible.

Even if the saying is true that the vest camera is the one you have on you, it would be good to always try to have a good, compact camera with you if at all possible. Relying on smartphone cameras, despite their strides, still lack the feature set of dedicated hardware.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

Would the new camera API open more things up for Motorola's own camera app?

I would think that Motorola could do everything they needed on their native camera app without including the new API.

Shepx13

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site

Would the new camera API open more things up for Motorola's own camera app?

I would think that Motorola could do everything they needed on their native camera app without including the new API.

The main benefit of Camera2API support is that it allows camera software to allow a more powerful quite of settings be manually adjusted (shutterspeed, burst modes) a long with RAW capture for editing in Photoshop. Because Google implemented this into the core Android code, the heavy lifting is done. Motorola could enable support for this and not utilize it with their own camera software, as third part apps could make use of it (FV-5, Manual camera are 2 great third party apps). But to date, they haven't done so.

See this link that discusses some of the aspects, from when it was announced last fall.

Android L Camera 2 API Features Include Burst Mode, HDR+ and More | NDTV Gadgets