Moto X Style: Camera Samples, DxOMark, dpreview

Shepx13

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
It's the same camera module, but it doesn't have the same image processing as the Style.

This is not really accurate. It has a different hardware processor, but that shouldn't make a difference when it comes to single shot photos taken. Both phone's photos will most likely look the same, or so close you won't see a difference outside of a studio test. Processing power has never made much difference, for any camera ever, for output quality.

That said, you may see a difference when shooting in continuous or slow-motion, because those actions do tax the processor. But it depends on if Moto makes an effort with the software.

But you will absolutely see a difference in the videos taken. Even videos of the same resolution will probably look significantly better on the Style, since the better processor will handle a higher bitrate.

Cakefish

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site
This is not really accurate. It has a different hardware processor, but that shouldn't make a difference when it comes to single shot photos taken. Both phone's photos will most likely look the same, or so close you won't see a difference outside of a studio test. Processing power has never made much difference, for any camera ever, for output quality.

That said, you may see a difference when shooting in continuous or slow-motion, because those actions do tax the processor. But it depends on if Moto makes an effort with the software.

But you will absolutely see a difference in the videos taken. Even videos of the same resolution will probably look significantly better on the Style, since the better processor will handle a higher bitrate.
I think he was referring to the fact that Style has PDAF while Play sadly doesn't.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Cakefish

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site
I didn't see him mention PDAF anywhere. Besides, where did you read the Play won't have PDAF?
Just the fact that Motorola left it out of the official specification list makes me doubtful it's there.

But then I recently saw this, so there is some hope:

"There is also some confusion about whether the Play supports PDAF. Motorola told us that it does, and the Qualcomm spec PDF for the 615 does mention PDAF support. Even so, there is no mention of this feature on the Play's spec pages, so we'll need to get to the bottom of this."

Source; http://www.tomshardware.com/news/motorola-android-smartphone-motox,29785.html

Shepx13

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
Just the fact that Motorola left it out of the official specification list makes me doubtful it's there.

But then I recently saw this, so there is some hope:

"There is also some confusion about whether the Play supports PDAF. Motorola told us that it does, and the Qualcomm spec PDF for the 615 does mention PDAF support. Even so, there is no mention of this feature on the Play's spec pages, so we'll need to get to the bottom of this."

Source; http://www.tomshardware.com/news/motorola-android-smartphone-motox,29785.html
I'll bet it was just an oversight, and it's supported. We know for sure that the sensor is the same between the Style and Play, so it would be really odd to not use it. If that was the case, they'd be better off going with a sensor without it, to save money.

Cakefish

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site
I'll bet it was just an oversight, and it's supported. We know for sure that the sensor is the same between the Style and Play, so it would be really odd to not use it. If that was the case, they'd be better off going with a sensor without it, to save money.
Here's hoping you are right! :)

I suppose it could also be a purposeful marketing thing to make the Style seem extra shiny?

eao1991

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site

Image processing is more than just the CPU. Google the term and you'll see. Also, depending on the SoC, the Camera ISP included will vary. Higher end SoCs will include better ones while ISPs in lower end ones like the 615 aren't as good. Sites like AnandTech go into this kind of info in depth. Also, below is an excerpt from DPReview. They were one of the sites that got an early hands on with Moto's new devices

Attachments

• Excerpt.PNG
    Excerpt.PNG
    19 KB · Views: 131

Cakefish

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site
Hopefully they didn't neuter it too much. In another Anandtech article, they said that the ISP in the 615 should be similar to the 801.

As long as it performs noticeably better than my Nexus 5 in low light (which shouldn't be too hard), I will be happy.

Shepx13

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
Image processing is more than just the CPU. Google the term and you'll see. Also, depending on the SoC, the Camera ISP included will vary. Higher end SoCs will include better ones while ISPs in lower end ones like the 615 aren't as good. Sites like AnandTech go into this kind of info in depth. Also, below is an excerpt from DPReview. They were one of the sites that got an early hands on with Moto's new devices
I'm aware of what an ISP is. But I stand by my argument that most differences between cameras using the same sensor, but different ISP'S, are usually not huge. And the smaller the sensor, the less difference it makes as well, at least in some respects. Even if you look at DX size sensors, and use Pentax and Nikon as an example, a few of their cameras have used the exact same sensor but most differences are only visible at 100% magnification while pixel peeping. And a lot of that has to do with how they code their software, more so than the hardware itself.

We'll ultimately have to wait and see, but I will be highly surprised if we see much difference in photos between the Style and Play.

sulla1965

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
This phone starts at just $399, so I don;t expect it to be better than $600 or more phones. Just as long as it compares favorably at this price, is all I'd ask for.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
My concern is that by calling it "best in class" and pricing it at $399, Motorola can say it's not competing with the $599+ top-end phones from Apple, LG, and Samsung.

Posted via Android Central App (Moto X)

jephanie

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
Motorola is selling their devices direct to consumers at wholesale--rather than retail--prices. That's why the price is $399. If Samsung wanted to sell their warez without carrier support, they'd like land at an approximately similar price point (maybe a little higher but not much). So I really don't think comparing wholesale vs. retail price matters in this discussion.

benjamminh

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
It's relevant because without a subsidy I don't care if going through the carrier is paying retail. There's no value added for me.

jephanie

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
It's relevant because without a subsidy I don't care if going through the carrier is paying retail. There's no value added for me.

Previously, the "subsidy" was you paying $100-$200 up front then paying for the rest of the $400-$500 built into your plan rate. Now, they sliced the rates and will make you pay separately. So now the choice is retail prices (Samsung, Apple, etc.) or wholesale (Motorola). The only value in the subsidized plans was the perception that you were getting some kind of deal. You were happy with the plan rates under the presumption that you only paid $100-$200 for the phone when, in reality, you were paying the full price that was built into the plan rates.

benjamminh

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
That's fine, but it doesn't matter to me where it comes from. That's not my problem. Again, if I'm not getting value from it, why would I pay more? Overall the subsidized price may make your bill higher, but you're not putting all that money at once. For many people there is value there.

mookiekillsit

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
Just realized that 100% thread is for the Play, not the Style... good. I have faith this camera will be even better.

Last edited:

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
DP Review states the camera is better than the Note 4 and they nailed their review on the Note 4 when reviewing that. Since happy with the Note 4, I would be happy with the Moto X Pure. That said, I consider phone camera's a secondary camera, since no optical zoom. It cracks me up sometimes to see folks coming across like photographers and then mention digital zoom quality. Those can not be said in the same context and be taken seriously.

mookiekillsit

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
DP Review states the camera is better than the Note 4 and they nailed their review on the Note 4 when reviewing that. Since happy with the Note 4, I would be happy with the Moto X Pure. That said, I consider phone camera's a secondary camera, since no optical zoom. It cracks me up sometimes to see folks coming across like photographers and then mention digital zoom quality. Those can not be said in the same context and be taken seriously.

I'm a well documented camera snob w/ phones. I LOVE my Note 4's camera. It's the only reason I haven't gotten rid of the phone... yet. If this camera can produce nearly similar low light photos that the Note 4 can, I will gladly switch. I don't expect it to be identical b/c Sammy leads the pack in smartphone cameras. Moto's features are so useful for my lifestyle though so a camera that's nearly on par will be a good trade off.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech