Moto X Style: Camera Samples, DxOMark, dpreview

Shepx13

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
I'm a well documented camera snob w/ phones. I LOVE my Note 4's camera. It's the only reason I haven't gotten rid of the phone... yet. If this camera can produce nearly similar low light photos that the Note 4 can, I will gladly switch. I don't expect it to be identical b/c Sammy leads the pack in smartphone cameras. Moto's features are so useful for my lifestyle though so a camera that's nearly on par will be a good trade off.

It's going to lag behind the Note 4 in low light photos due to no OIS. There's no way around that. But other than that, it looks like it will compare well.

mookiekillsit

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
It's going to lag behind the Note 4 in low light photos due to no OIS. There's no way around that. But other than that, it looks like it will compare well.

I'm going to keep an optimistic outlook lol and I don't know why. I am believing that since they left of OIS that they must have some sort of alternative in place. Sammy's image processing enhancements are second to none though (ie the sharpening and low light filter that gets put on when low light is detected)

Cakefish

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site
Yep, it does but I'm greedy and want more lol. But really, their pictures are what gives me hope that this camera will perform in low light but I really do want to see more examples.
OK, can do! It's evening here in UK and the light's getting low, low, low. Time for a low-light face-off between Nexus 5 and Moto X Play I think!

Edit: oops I thought this was a Moto X Play thread (easy to muddle them up when using Tapatalk).

jephanie

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
OK, can do! It's evening here in UK and the light's getting low, low, low. Time for a low-light face-off between Nexus 5 and Moto X Play I think!

Edit: oops I thought this was a Moto X Play thread (easy to muddle them up when using Tapatalk).

Don't let that stop you. I'd still like to see the results.

RapidTurtle

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
I really don't understand Moto leaving out the OIS. I have read a few articles that state for whatever reason, OIS really helps with low light photos. My Moto X 2014 is pretty much worthless indoors, so I am going to wait and see what the reviews have to say about the pure. If they are not favorable, I think I might go with a G4.

Zendroid1

Trusted Member
Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
I really don't understand Moto leaving out the OIS. I have read a few articles that state for whatever reason, OIS really helps with low light photos. My Moto X 2014 is pretty much worthless indoors, so I am going to wait and see what the reviews have to say about the pure. If they are not favorable, I think I might go with a G4.

Cost.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Well it seems by the reviews that it sucks in low light again. They should have spent a few more bucks and put that OIS in, as it helps with the low light problem. I will be looking elsewhere for my next phone.

I wasn't as disappointed. Still better than previous Motos.

Posted via Android Central App (Moto X)

streetkilln

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
is the camera good

i own the lg g3 the camera is pretty good, im thinking between the lg g4, oneplus 2 and of course the moto x pure.
has anyone seen any pictures from the pure yet, would it be good to choose it over the other two phones specially in ,low light, i hear the lg g4 takes good pictures.

gendo667

Trusted Member
Jun 6, 2015
Visit site
Re: is the camera good

i own the lg g3 the camera is pretty good, im thinking between the lg g4, oneplus 2 and of course the moto x pure.
has anyone seen any pictures from the pure yet, would it be good to choose it over the other two phones specially in ,low light, i hear the lg g4 takes good pictures.

The G4 takes amazing pictures. Arguably the best camera on a phone.

Attachments

• 1441260138720.jpg
    1441260138720.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 31
  • 1441260168390.jpg
    1441260168390.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 31

gendo667

Trusted Member
Jun 6, 2015
Visit site

I know there's plenty of camera comparisons. I've read a few of them myself. Just do a Google search. Some say the GS6 camera is better. Some say the G4 is better. If any Motorola camera in their soon to be released phones is on par or better than the G4's, I'd be genuinely shocked given their recent history. Not saying their bad, just not the mind bending reviews the G4 camera has received. Can't really speak on OnePlus. Happy hunting. :D

sulla1965

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site

The Lg g4 costs $600 after taxes, so I sure hope for lg g4 owners that it takes great photos. So far the Moto Pure does seem to have a good camera, its just a bit early for the Pure right now to really judge. I'd just add that the sound quality on recorded videos isn't that great on the G4.

krazyatom

Trusted Member
Jan 4, 2015
Visit site

If your priority is camera, then I go with G4. I ordered a moto x style today but I am not sure if it was good decision. I already have S6 and it may be downgrade.

krazyatom

Trusted Member
Jan 4, 2015
Visit site

The Lg g4 costs $600 after taxes, so I sure hope for lg g4 owners that it takes great photos. So far the Moto Pure does seem to have a good camera, its just a bit early for the Pure right now to really judge. I'd just add that the sound quality on recorded videos isn't that great on the G4.

That's retail price. Recently, international unlock version was $420 and it's currently $470 from ebay. Also, it's 32gb.

gendo667

Trusted Member
Jun 6, 2015
Visit site

That's retail price. Recently, international unlock version was $420 and it's currently $470 from ebay. Also, it's 32gb.

Thank you. I was just about to post. If you're buying the G4 outright, you should go with the international version. No bloat ware. It took some work to get the T Mobile version running smooth. Disabling/uninstalling and whatnot.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site

So far the battery tests show the G4 with significantly better battery life, in spite of only a .2" size display difference to the Moto X P. Looking forward to more tests to see if this holds up with other reviews. Hoping not since was considering a 64GB model.