09-26-2015 10:00 AM
49 12
tools
    this (I will miss active notifications) and size is deal breaker for me

how could the moto x play not come to the US grrr

Hoping for another price drop on the Moto x 2014. It's fairly cheap at the moment.

Need something to retire my moto x 2013
    It still provides active notifications. One of the other sites had a hands-on video showing off the notifications along with some of the new features (ability to pause/play and skip/rewind music from the screen).
    edgar likes this.
    07-28-2015 08:18 PM
    That is true. I am PRAYING it's an IPS LCD. It's just odd how it is described simply as a TFT display, rather than an IPS or just LCD.

I'm probably just worrying prematurely, because I doubt Moto would screw up a QHD display with bad viewing angles. You're right, it's probably an IPS display. I just wish they specified.
    just curious, and I'm not being snarky, real question, when do u view a phone at different angles? TV I get, tablet/laptop sure, but I only look at my phone dead on, and the wouldn't let the 2-3x a month I show a friend a YouTube clip on my phone dictate whether or not I choose a phone based on viewing angles. if it's inferior when staring directly at it, or in sunlight or even with sunglasses on, that's a different story.

Posted via the Android Central App
    07-28-2015 10:11 PM
    just curious, and I'm not being snarky, real question, when do u view a phone at different angles? TV I get, tablet/laptop sure, but I only look at my phone dead on, and the wouldn't let the 2-3x a month I show a friend a YouTube clip on my phone dictate whether or not I choose a phone based on viewing angles. if it's inferior when staring directly at it, or in sunlight or even with sunglasses on, that's a different story.

When using it as a car GPS you'll never look at it dead on. Unless you want to be arrested anyway.
    07-28-2015 10:20 PM
    Not a deal breaker, but I don't yet understand what they're doing.

M Dev Nexus 6 Assassin Edition. Gonfaloniere
    07-28-2015 10:31 PM
    It still provides active notifications. One of the other sites had a hands-on video showing off the notifications along with some of the new features (ability to pause/play and skip/rewind music from the screen).
    I need a video of that last bit. NEED. Please.
    Aquila and edgar like this.
    07-28-2015 10:42 PM
    I would assume the viewing angles, or a potential lack thereof with TFT, is the reason for the virtually non-existant side bezels on the Style? I've seen some hands on videos that actually find the viewing angles to be good.

Aquila likes this.
    07-28-2015 10:44 PM
    I need a video of that last bit. NEED. Please.
    Courtesy of Droid-Life (skip to 2:16 in the video):

edgar and Slow_S10 like this.
    07-29-2015 08:42 AM
    I think your right. The viewing angles look just as good as my xperia z2 if not better. If its a tft display then im fricking shocked, but i do think its a high possibility that its a ips pannel. Regardless of the screen tech it looks awsome and moto have my money i was going to get the g4 but now im guna wait around for the moto x pure edition

07-29-2015 08:47 AM
    Don't confuse TFT with TN, guys.

TFT stands for Thin-film Transistor. It's a thin LCD panel. Popular for use in mobile devices because it's thin.

TN stands for Twisted Nematic. It has high response time and also supports higher refresh rates but has atrocious viewing angles.

IPS, as we all know, is In-Plane Switching. We all know its benefits because we use them in many of our mobile devices.
    Aquila, Citizen Coyote and luke31 like this.
    07-29-2015 08:59 AM
    And moto are advertising the style as tft?

07-29-2015 09:17 AM
    It's listed in the official specs, sadly. I too am wondering how Moto Display will impact battery life without an AMOLED screen.
    We should ask the people with Lollipop's Ambient Display on the Nexus 5, LG G4 and other non-AMOLED displays. I didn't try the ZF2 or Shield without Ambient on, so not sure if there is a hit or not. Both devices have very solid battery life though, for their size, etc. so I'm not too worried.
    07-29-2015 12:16 PM
    I won't call anything a deal breaker when it's on paper and without any real-world experience/review of the actual device. I'll reserve judgement until the reviews come in. But it will be fascinating to know how Moto Display will work with a TFT screen.
    Seriously. I don't see how this could possibly be a deal breaker without anyone having any real-world experience with it. What happened to the days of the Moto X 2013 when people were actually judging the phone based on the experience rather than the spec sheet?
    07-29-2015 05:19 PM
    Seriously. I don't see how this could possibly be a deal breaker without anyone having any real-world experience with it. What happened to the days of the Moto X 2013 when people were actually judging the phone based on the experience rather than the spec sheet?
    This gets a "This ^^".

M Dev Nexus 6 Assassin Edition. Gonfaloniere
    07-29-2015 07:48 PM
    Well at this point in the 2013 X's life the boards were quite a bit more brutal towards it (including me). "Mid range phone with flagship price" etc.

My point is we LOVE to judge a phone prior to touching it!!!
    07-29-2015 10:33 PM
    I think some of you need to do some more research on what TFT means. Virtually every modern LCD used in phones, computers, and TVs is some type of TFT LCD. IPS? Yeah, that's a type of TFT LCD.

With that out of the way. No, it's not a deal breaker. For me, it's a deal maker. I prefer a good LCD (and from all first hand accounts, it is a good LCD) to an AMOLED screen.
    Sizzers and D13H4RD2L1V3 like this.
    07-30-2015 02:12 AM
    I think we should expect Motorola to have to give up something for that price point. Screens are the most expensive component in a phone. I'm ok with it from what I've seen and if it provides battery life like my 2013 MX, I'm good with that too. Kinda like how no matter what I do or don't do, my MX seems last the same amount of time.....which is good in my book since I use it a lot. LOL

I don't think it's anything to freak out about. I try to always let a device exist for a month out in the wild before I buy anyway. I'd rather be sure it's what I want than be an early adopter. I was an earlier adopter for the original Galaxy S and Galaxy Nexus. I finally learned my lesson.
    07-30-2015 10:21 AM
    We should ask the people with Lollipop's Ambient Display on the Nexus 5, LG G4 and other non-AMOLED displays. I didn't try the ZF2 or Shield without Ambient on, so not sure if there is a hit or not. Both devices have very solid battery life though, for their size, etc. so I'm not too worried.
    I use Ambient Display on my HTC One M7 running CM12.1.

Doesn't seem to affect battery life in an adverse manner, but because it's running a Snapdragon 600 (which apparently doesn't have a dedicated processor that allows those wake gestures without draining the battery too much), it drains battery a bit more than phones running a SD800-series SoC, like the X Style.
    07-30-2015 11:27 AM
    I think they really wanted to go beyond a 1080p display which is why they went with LCD. I think LG uses LCD displays but still do "Active like" notifications when you get those stupid flip cases. Same with the HTC phones. Its definitely worse on battery, but not enough to care I guess. AMOLED though is thinner and takes up less space, and this makes me worry that the new Moto X Style will have just as good battery life as the previous moto x.... which means it will get you through dinner, and thats about it.
    07-30-2015 06:16 PM
    I think they really wanted to go beyond a 1080p display which is why they went with LCD. I think LG uses LCD displays but still do "Active like" notifications when you get those stupid flip cases. Same with the HTC phones. Its definitely worse on battery, but not enough to care I guess. AMOLED though is thinner and takes up less space, and this makes me worry that the new Moto X Style will have just as good battery life as the previous moto x.... which means it will get you through dinner, and thats about it.
    You can go 1440p with AMOLED

Phones like the Note 4 and S6 have 1440p AMOLED displays.

I think it's more of a cost-related decision
    07-31-2015 01:28 AM
    I got the Moto X Style or Pure 2015 a few days ago.
    I read a lot of good reviews of MotoX Style, there was only one article mentioned the TFT display is no good.

I'm very very much disappointed to the TFT display.
    It looks blue and purple. The color is not real and hurt my visions.
    I had Moto X , Moto X 2nd gen.
    The AMOLED display looks warm ; its color&hue depth are just right.
    But the TFT display of Moto X Style 2015 is really bad!!
    Why Motorola changed from AMOLED to TFT?
    It seems a very bad choice. The display kills me!

If next generation of moto X still choose TFT, I will definitely not buy it.

Before you order it online, please experience it at a local store.
    I feel regret that I was in hurry to order it online before Verizon has a show model.
    Bad choice!
    09-25-2015 11:16 PM
    The display is very good and is TFT-IPS. Some folks think there is either TFT or IPS, but TFT is the common point for most LCD and IPS is the difference over lower grade LCD panels.
    09-25-2015 11:49 PM
    The screen alone wasn't enough to be a deal breaker for me, but I did have it side by side with a Note 5 and it was obviously inferior. The screen is part of the deal breaker equation, better screen, better camera, better battery life, better feel in hand all led me to go with the Note 5
    09-26-2015 04:05 AM
    I think the display is great. If you exclusively use AMOLED, I could see it bothering you at first, but most displays I use (tablets, phones, and my laptop) are all LCD, so this display doesn't bother me at all.
    09-26-2015 09:47 AM
    I liked the Pures display due to it looking much better than the Note 4 for VR, but the Pure runs far too hot and drains battery far too fast to be practical with VR. That was just with a movie and repeated the same event. This device is not VR friendly.

Net result is the Pure display has no advantage for me now.
    09-26-2015 10:00 AM
49 12