It's frankly amazing how manufacturers always manage to [language removed by mod] up one feature from an otherwise perfect or close-to-perfect product. No AMOLED screen on a flagship? Really?
    07-28-2015 11:48 AM
    OK, let's say that there's been a mixup and the screen isn't actually the older TFT but the the more recent IPS that's been in phones since last year. If that's the case, what's the problem? IPS LCD screens are excellent, have better outdoor viewability than amoled and aren't susceptible to burn in. Are you worried mainly about Active Display battery consumption or do you just simply prefer amoled?
    07-28-2015 12:12 PM
    OK, let's say that there's been a mixup and the screen isn't actually the older TFT but the the more recent IPS that's been in phones since last year. If that's the case, what's the problem? IPS LCD screens are excellent, have better outdoor viewability than amoled and aren't susceptible to burn in. Are you worried mainly about Active Display battery consumption or do you just simply prefer amoled?
    Yea the problem is power consumption, since an OLED display can selectively display pixels. This being an IPS would mean that Active Display would be markedly inefficient, which kinda defeats the purpose of Active Display.

Posted via the Android Central App
    07-28-2015 12:26 PM
    AMOLEDs are easier to see through sunglasses.
    07-28-2015 12:27 PM
    I can buy the power consumption point of view as being a significant issue but not this lol
    07-28-2015 12:30 PM
    I can buy the power consumption point of view as being a significant issue but not this lol
    He's got a point. I refuse to drive without my polarized sunglasses. This would make using the phone as a GPS a nightmare.

Anthony_NE likes this.
    07-28-2015 12:32 PM
    He's got a point. I refuse to drive without my polarized sunglasses. This would make using the phone as a GPS a nightmare.

depends on the quality of the display. However one thing I always do in car mode is have my car mode app set to automatically adapt display to brightness
    07-28-2015 12:35 PM
    depends on the quality of the display. However one thing I always do in car mode is have my car mode app set to automatically adapt display to brightness
    Even at 100% brightness an IPS LCD will never be as easy to see as an AMOLED screen through polarized sunglasses. The reason isn't actually brightness, it's the polarization interfering with the LCD light filters. Unless you're looking absolutely dead-on to the screen you lose a LOT.
    07-28-2015 12:39 PM
    I have a nexus 5 and csnt see the screen through my polarized Oakley sunglasses if in landscape mode..

Refuse to go throhgh this again on new phone.. May go nexus 6 or wait for new nexus

07-28-2015 02:43 PM
    No amoled no burn in yippeeee

Kaido, m477 and Premium1 like this.
    07-28-2015 02:46 PM
    Hope that the tft part is a mistake to, but looking at video reviews the screen looks high quality

07-28-2015 02:47 PM
    I'm really trying to understand how active display still has a purpose if it's an lcd display. Won't this use as much battery as simply turning the screen on? The whole advantage of amoled is that it only lights up the necessary pixels...
    07-29-2015 07:00 AM
    Thank God Motorola dumped AMOLED. We can finally expect some decent displays from them.
    Anthony_NE, Sizzers and m477 like this.
    07-30-2015 02:19 AM
    I don't have any problem with my Amoled screen phones at all.The fact this one doesn't have Amoled isn't a deal breaker for me though.
    Almeuit likes this.
    07-30-2015 11:56 AM
    I'm curious about the battery too since it can't light selective pixels but have some faith in Motorola. They usually go above and beyond with integration of components but don't market it that way. They don't use big words like Apple but they have done a lot of cool stuff. If you look at the radio on the first one and how they made the frame on 2nd one that doesn't drop signal when you hold the frame like iPhones and what not. If they put even little bit effort into integration like they usually do, you will not see any significant drop in battery life...or at least I hope.
    07-30-2015 12:48 PM

How does that work out at night?
    Anthony_NE likes this.
    07-31-2015 05:27 PM
    We want to look cool while we're using our phones! Is that too much to ask?!?

I'm just teasing. 😝

07-31-2015 06:18 PM
    I'm really trying to understand how active display still has a purpose if it's an lcd display. Won't this use as much battery as simply turning the screen on? The whole advantage of amoled is that it only lights up the necessary pixels...
    Motorola has been doing Active Display/Moto Display on LCD screens on phones like the Moto E.

Posted via Android Central App (Moto X)
    08-01-2015 06:42 PM

You should be listening to the directions and not looking at the screen.

Posted via Android Central App (Moto X)
    ShadyMouse likes this.
    08-01-2015 06:43 PM
    While I will definitely miss the deep blacks and how the screen won't blind me at night when using a dark background I won't miss the poor outdoor visibility. Samsung had always held back the best AMOLED displays for their own equipment so while the S5 made great advances in brightness and battery usage the 2014 Moto X was stuck with a screen closer to what the Note 3 had a year prior. So while I am sure the switch had a lot to do with cost I hope Motorola found a solid LCD manufacturer to replace the AMOLED tech we had all grown accustomed to.
    08-02-2015 07:15 AM
    The purpose is, still no need to turn the phone on. For myself still the best way to check texts, tweets, and sports scores. Now, battery consumption might be an issue if one forgets to dismiss notification and keeps flashing for any period of time. Hopefully there will be a setting so you can have it stop flashing after a certain period of time.

08-02-2015 02:27 PM
    The purpose is, still no need to turn the phone on. For myself still the best way to check texts, tweets, and sports scores. Now, battery consumption might be an issue if one forgets to dismiss notification and keeps flashing for any period of time. Hopefully there will be a setting so you can have it stop flashing after a certain period of time.

I believe Moto Display stops showing notifications, if no action is taken, after a certain period of time when the phone it face up. If the phone is face down, insure a purse or pocket, no notifications will be shown.

Sent from my Moto X (2013)
    08-02-2015 03:47 PM
    I believe it is possible to only light up a certain section of a screen like this with the backlight if the right technology is used. Considering this phone is not very thin, they could have used that technology in the screen on this phone. We will have to wait to see when people get more information about the technical details on it

Posted via Android Central App from a beautiful Ebony backed Original Moto X or the amazing Nexus 10
    08-02-2015 06:48 PM