Will the Moto X Pure Edition support T-Mobile VoLTE, VoWiFi and Band 12 LTE?

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Re: Will Moto X Style support T-Mobile VoLTE and VoWiFi?

That's what people were thinking about Lollipop, and it turns out it was just a special mod for the T-Mobile version of the phone. I'm thinking it's not going to happen.

M is going to support WiFi calling .. I am pretty sure that is confirmed. Will it work on T-Mobile though .. well .. that is the part that is not confirmed.

npaladin-2000

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site

M is going to support WiFi calling .. I am pretty sure that is confirmed. Will it work on T-Mobile though .. well .. that is the part that is not confirmed.

L was going to support WiFi calling. Ultimately, it's just better to wait for both frigging shoes to drop. ;)

anon(5506951)

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
Ok, so I'm on T-Mobile Prepaid, and the most I get is HSPA plus. I see on Moto's site that the Pure Edition will support LTE bands. Does that necessarily mean that I'd be able to get LTE? HSPA plus on T-Mobile runs on 1700/2100 MHz, but only 2100 is listed on the site for the Pure Edition. Can someone clarify for me what I can expect should I get the phone from Motorola.com? Would I be able to get LTE on it?

Posted via the Android Central App

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Ok, so I'm on T-Mobile Prepaid, and the most I get is HSPA plus. I see on Moto's site that the Pure Edition will support LTE bands. Does that necessarily mean that I'd be able to get LTE? HSPA plus on T-Mobile runs on 1700/2100 MHz, but only 2100 is listed on the site for the Pure Edition. Can someone clarify for me what I can expect should I get the phone from Motorola.com? Would I be able to get LTE on it?

Posted via the Android Central App

Yes you can get LTE with this phone. If T-Mobile is limiting you to HSPA only then you wouldn't but if I recall correctly their prepaid plans include LTE.

iAmEFFeX

Dec 15, 2013
Visit site

This is a major concern for me. It is "expected" to come in a SW update doesn't really mean that it will ever happen. I'm considering cancelling my order at this point. A real let down.

fourfone

Dec 3, 2014
Visit site

Especially since the Nexus 6 DOES have that capability! Thanks for going backwards, Moto. :(

ktamondo

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site

If it actually gets the update for band 12, will that enable wifi calling, or is that something different?

diesteldorf

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site

Hm .. that is a good question.

This is a major concern for me. It is "expected" to come in a SW update doesn't really mean that it will ever happen. I'm considering cancelling my order at this point. A real let down.
You shouldn't have to, but is it feasible for some XDA tech type to manually turn on Band 12, since it already has the appropriate hardware?

fourfone

Dec 3, 2014
Visit site

We already know it HAS the hardware. Same issue as Moto G - isn't set up to work with VoLTE. So TMO asked Moto to turn B12 off. T-Mobile has areas that have only B12 coverage and have no voice coverage in those areas without VoLTE. It is a liability issue if the phone show 5 bars LTE signal but you can't make any calls, including 911.

fourfone

Dec 3, 2014
Visit site

T-Mobile WiFi calling is another issue. Moto X PE will NOT get it unless: a) TMO offers it in-house, or b) Android M version works on TMO.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Won't matter for me much.. WiFi calling isn't needed since the only place I would need it is at home but I have a cell booster..

And as for band 12 the only closest place to me that has it (that I go to) is Orlando. Luckily I'll be okay.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site

Both band 12 and Wi-Fi calling not important to me so I'm good. Band 12 will get enabled in future update for those that matters and there won't be any Wi-Fi calling since this is not an useless crappy carrier branded version. Rather not have carrier customized firmware, but I understand it's important for people who don't have good coverage.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

If you have a phone with Band 12 on T-Mobile without T-Mobile's VoLTE, you could run into an issue where the phone will show full service but you couldn't call 911 because you could be in a place where you have 700 LTE coverage but out of range of GSM/HSPA.

T-Mobile is requiring all phones on their network that support Band 12 to be VoLTE certified regardless if they are unlocked, non-carrier models.

Posted via Android Central App (Moto X)

diesteldorf

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site

T-Mobile is requiring all phones on their network that support Band 12 to be VoLTE certified regardless if they are unlocked, non-carrier models.

This makes sense and I appreciate the explanation. I'm not currently with them, but was curious if they have to certify the Moto Pure directly for VoLTE or is it something Moto needs to do on their end with software or approval from the FCC?

Basically, whose court is the ball in to get this resolved ASAP?

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

This makes sense and I appreciate the explanation. I'm not currently with them, but was curious if they have to certify the Moto Pure directly for VoLTE or is it something Moto needs to do on their end with software or approval from the FCC?

Basically, whose court is the ball in to get this resolved ASAP?

Motorola would have to go through T-Mobile's VoLTE certification process.

diesteldorf

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site

Motorola would have to go through T-Mobile's VoLTE certification process.

Let me start by saying that I like Tmobile. I had great customer service and the only reason I left was that I felt the coverage I was getting didn't justify what I was paying....

I also realize this phone has yet to be released and Tmobile could get everything squared away on Day 1, so this whole thing could be a non-issue. Consequently, I don't want to rag on them. However, and I admit I may be ignorant and not fully comprehend the situation, this feels similar to the stuff Verizon pulled with the Nexus 6 and Nexus 7.

It had the right hardware, but Verizon insisted that it had to go through their certification process before it could be officially activated. Verizon dragged their feet for months and was rightly criticized for it. (This video is pretty funny IMO)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqT-F-7sEps

Now, I understand Tmobile would open themselves up to heavy fines from the FCC if they allowed a phone on their network to connect to a tower, yet be unable to make phone calls. Theoretically, someone could be in need of 911 and be in serious jeopardy if band 12 was enabled and Tmobile hadn't certified it for VoLTE.

I'm just concerned because I am excited about this phone and would like to recommend it to friends, but I can't until this gets resolved for everyone I may know that has Tmobile. Their coverage could be adversely affected by not having band 12 access.

I don't want to judge TMO until the device is officially released, but this seems like it should be a foregone conclusion that this device will get certified and certified quickly. However, just the fact that some people are already expressing doubts and canceling preorders has me concerned.

I want them to avoid the same criticism that Verizon got when they dragged their feet with previous devices.

Maybe I am completely off base, but for those that have Tmobile now, if they fail to enable VoLTE and band 12 support quickly, do you feel the comparisons with Verizon and the Nexus 6 and 7 fiasco are appropriate and justified?

Last edited:

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Let me start by saying that I like Tmobile. I had great customer service and the only reason I left was that I felt the coverage I was getting didn't justify what I was paying....

I also realize this phone has yet to be released and Tmobile could get everything squared away on Day 1, so this whole thing could be a non-issue. Consequently, I don't want to rag on them. However, and I admit I may be ignorant and not fully comprehend the situation, this feels similar to the stuff Verizon pulled with the Nexus 6 and Nexus 7.

It had the right hardware, but Verizon insisted that it had to go through their certification process before it could be officially activated. Verizon dragged their feet for months and was rightly criticized for it. (This video is pretty funny IMO)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqT-F-7sEps

Now, I understand Tmobile would open themselves up to heavy fines from the FCC if they allowed a phone on their network to connect to a tower, yet be unable to make phone calls. Theoretically, someone could be in need of 911 and be in serious jeopardy if band 12 was enabled and Tmobile hadn't certified it for VoLTE.

I'm just concerned because I am excited about this phone and would like to recommend it to friends, but I can't until this gets resolved for everyone I may know that has Tmobile. Their coverage could be adversely affected by not have band 12 access.

I don't want to judge TMO until the device is officially released, but this seems like it should be a foregone conclusion that this device will get certified and certified quickly. However, just the fact that some people are already expressing doubts and canceling preorders has me concerned.

I want them to avoid the same criticism that Verizon got when they dragged their feet with previous devices.

Maybe I am completely off base, but for those that have Tmobile now, if they fail to enable VoLTE and band 12 support quickly, do you feel the comparisons with Verizon and the Nexus 6 and 7 fiasco are appropriate and justified?

Worst case for you would be that the Moto X Pure Edition loses Band 12 support. You would lose out on better indoor coverage.

Motorola has already updated the Moto E to remove Band 12 support.

It's a little bit different than the Nexus 6 and Nexus 7 on Verizon - I'd hardly call that a "fiasco".

There is a legitimate safety concern in this Band 12/T-Mobile VoLTE situation with E911.

Best case would be that the Moto X Pure Edition is currently going through or has already passed T-Mobile's VoLTE certification.