Will the Moto X Pure Edition support T-Mobile VoLTE, VoWiFi and Band 12 LTE?

morphodone

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
Apple didn't allow T-Mobile to do this. Apple would never allow anyone to push any software updates to their phones unless it was an app. Apple worked with T-Mobile to program it into the phone OS.

Moto isn't allowing carriers to modify anything on the phone so therefore it won't have it (and doesn't).
I'm not sure how exactly it works but I can say for sure that carrier settings get pushed to the iPhone.

When I switched from att to T-Mobile with an unlocked att iPhone I was prompted to update carrier settings.

I would guess that comes from T-Mobile while working with apple. Although at the time I don't think the iPhone was even being sold by T-Mobile.

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure how exactly it works but I can say for sure that carrier settings get pushed to the iPhone.

When I switched from att to T-Mobile with an unlocked att iPhone I was prompted to update carrier settings.

I would guess that comes from T-Mobile while working with apple. Although at the time I don't think the iPhone was even being sold by T-Mobile.

Yes.. Apple has it programmed into every iPhone. It only shows the option if you have the correct carrier (in this case T-Mobile). I had an iPhone 6+ but I bought it from Apple as the Verizon version but once I put the SIM in and it saw the phone was on T-Mobile it unlocked the carrier options (wifi calling).

Apple worked with T-Mobile to put it in. T-Mobile didn't program into the OS themselves or push it to the phone.

morphodone

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
Yes.. Apple has it programmed into every iPhone. It only shows the option if you have the correct carrier (in this case T-Mobile). I had an iPhone 6+ but I bought it from Apple as the Verizon version but once I put the SIM in and it saw the phone was on T-Mobile it unlocked the carrier options (wifi calling).

Apple worked with T-Mobile to put it in. T-Mobile didn't program into the OS themselves or push it to the phone.
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201270

Seems that the carriers can if needed.

"Note:*Occasionally a carrier may release a mandatory update. This type of update will display only an OK button instead of an Update button, to let you know that the update was downloaded and installed."

Channan

Keyboard Warrior
Mar 21, 2010
Visit site
There is a legitimate safety concern in this Band 12/T-Mobile VoLTE situation with E911.

I don't see how. Worst case is you attempt to place a 911 call and can't. I'd rather have only data than nothing at all. With data, I can make a VoIP call to a family member in an emergency or, at the very least, send a tweet or post a message on Facebook.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I don't see how. Worst case is you attempt to place a 911 call and can't. I'd rather have only data than nothing at all. With data, I can make a VoIP call to a family member in an emergency or, at the very least, send a tweet or post a message on Facebook.

Unless your family is a first responder ready and waiting for your VOIP call ....

Worst case is you attempt to place a 911 call and can't.

Channan

Keyboard Warrior
Mar 21, 2010
Visit site
Unless your family is a first responder ready and waiting for your VOIP call ....

How is having nothing at all a better option than data only? If I use VoIP and call a family member and they don't answer, I'm not the slightest bit worse off than if I wasn't able to call them at all. I could also attempt to call another family member. They could even track my location with just data.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201270

Seems that the carriers can if needed.

"Note:*Occasionally a carrier may release a mandatory update. This type of update will display only an OK button instead of an Update button, to let you know that the update was downloaded and installed."

Yes -- they can push that since Apple has allowed it by already programming it into the OS. Android they can just modify from the get-go.

Anyway back to the topic -- No the Moto X Pure won't have WiFi calling with T-Mobile. It is supposed to get VoLTE (from what I have read) but it won't be getting WiFi calling.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
How is having nothing at all a better option than data only? If I use VoIP and call a family member and they don't answer, I'm not the slightest bit worse off than if I wasn't able to call them at all. I could also attempt to call another family member. They could even track my location with just data.

...that's why Band 12 is not available. I feel like we are all going to go in circles with you.

911 is for emergencies. If T-Mobile had a better network, this wouldn't be an issue.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Even if you're fine with it there are laws that 911 must be available at all times. Just like you can grab a phone that isn't on any carrier, dial 911, and the phone will find any network that it can and use that for the call. The carrier has to accept it due to laws -- the same way 911 must be available at all times.

Channan

Keyboard Warrior
Mar 21, 2010
Visit site
Even if you're fine with it there are laws that 911 must be available at all times. Just like you can grab a phone that isn't on any carrier, dial 911, and the phone will find any network that it can and use that for the call. The carrier has to accept it due to laws -- the same way 911 must be available at all times.

But 911 is not available in either situation.

And with T-Mobile being required to provide 911 calls everywhere they provide service, well, they do. They support VoLTE on band 12, whether the phone does or not. And if Motorola decided not to disable band 12, how could T-Mobile get in trouble for that? They have no control over the phone and they don't even sell it.

Just like you said, "the phone will find any network that it can and use." That would be like fining T-Mobile for not allowing a 911 call on a CDMA phone in an area where T-Mobile is the only carrier with service. T-Mobile supports 911 calls there, but the phone does not support T-Mobile. That's not T-Mobile's fault.

I honestly don't see the problem. If someone is in an area with band 12 and no other signal, they won't be able to call 911 whether band 12 is disabled or not, so why not at least let them have data?

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
But 911 is not available in either situation.

And with T-Mobile being required to provide 911 calls everywhere they provide service, well, they do. They support VoLTE on band 12, whether the phone does or not. And if Motorola decided not to disable band 12, how could T-Mobile get in trouble for that? They have no control over the phone and they don't even sell it.

Just like you said, "the phone will find any network that it can and use." That would be like fining T-Mobile for not allowing a 911 call on a CDMA phone in an area where T-Mobile is the only carrier with service. T-Mobile supports 911 calls there, but the phone does not support T-Mobile. That's not T-Mobile's fault.

I honestly don't see the problem. If someone is in an area with band 12 and no other signal, they won't be able to call 911 whether band 12 is disabled or not, so why not at least let them have data?

If someone had a phone with a T-Mobile SIM in it and only had access to Band 12 because of poor T-Mobile coverage, VoLTE would let them make the 911 call.

Channan

Keyboard Warrior
Mar 21, 2010
Visit site
If someone had a phone with a T-Mobile SIM in it and only had access to Band 12 because of poor T-Mobile coverage, VoLTE would let them make the 911 call.

I'm sorry. I know this sounds rude and I really don't mean it to, but what's your point? Is there a nicer way to ask this question? Lol

We were talking about T-Mobile asking OEMs to disable band 12 on their phones when they can't make a VoLTE call. I understand when it does support VoLTE on band 12, there's no issue.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

You're really reading too far into this. The phone having a bug where it prevents ALL phone calls by using band 12 (including 911) is what would be the big issue. The law is for the carriers -- You're comparing a phone manufacturer versus a carrier.

The phone manufacterer has to build the radios and the carriers cannot control them in that case. They can say "You must have this to work with us" but they can't force Samsung to put the phone on their network (let's say Verizon in this case) but they CAN control if a phone is allowed on the network (such as if you pay your bill or not). They just have that extra thing due to the law of "You must allow any phone dialing 911 onto your network if it tries".

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I'm sorry. I know this sounds rude and I really don't mean it to, but what's your point? Is there a nicer way to ask this question? Lol

We were talking about T-Mobile asking OEMs to disable band 12 on their phones when they can't make a VoLTE call. I understand when it does support VoLTE on band 12, there's no issue.

Here's the issue.

If the phone was only on Band 12 it would look like it would have reception because it does. Without VoLTE, the call would fail because it wouldn't have GSM (800? 850?) to fall back on. Thus 911 call would fail and that's a safety issue.

Channan

Keyboard Warrior
Mar 21, 2010
Visit site
You're really reading too far into this. The phone having a bug where it prevents ALL phone calls by using band 12 (including 911) is what would be the big issue. The law is for the carriers -- You're comparing a phone manufacturer versus a carrier.

The phone manufacterer has to build the radios and the carriers cannot control them in that case. They can say "You must have this to work with us" but they can't force Samsung to put the phone on their network (let's say Verizon in this case) but they CAN control if a phone is allowed on the network (such as if you pay your bill or not). They just have that extra thing due to the law of "You must allow any phone dialing 911 onto your network if it tries".

So you're saying if the Moto X was on band 12 and couldn't place a VoLTE call on that band, it wouldn't even attempt to switch to another technology (3G, edge, etc.) or another network?

If that's the case, and it's a bug with the phone, how could T-Mobile be blamed for that? And why would they care? They don't even sell the phone.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
So you're saying if the Moto X was on band 12 and couldn't place a VoLTE call on that band, it wouldn't even attempt to switch to another technology (3G, edge, etc.) or another network?

If that's the case, and it's a bug with the phone, how could T-Mobile be blamed for that? And why would they care? They don't even sell the phone.

It boils down to this - if you want Band 12 LTE in the US, all OEMs will have to go through T-Mobile's VoLTE certification. Even if you're selling an unlocked device.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Yes. This is what we have been saying the whole time -- That is the issue... it is bugged and it will not drop down to HSPA for the call therefore you wouldn't be able to make calls at all. To 911, your mom, your gf, etc. -- No one and since you couldn't that means it would violate laws and T-Mobile isn't going to do that and get fined (hence why they care).

I have read around that there will eventually be a VoLTE update for us on T-Mobile which means Motorola and T-Mobile will have to be working together to get the phone VoLTE Certified for T-Mobile.

Channan

Keyboard Warrior
Mar 21, 2010
Visit site
Here's the issue.

If the phone was only on Band 12 it would look like it would have reception because it does. Without VoLTE, the call would fail because it wouldn't have GSM (800? 850?) to fall back on. Thus 911 call would fail and that's a safety issue.

Got it. I didn't know it wouldn't even attempt to switch to another type of network.

So is the issue that the Moto X doesn't support VoLTE on band 12, it doesn't work well, or just that T-Mobile hasn't certified it yet?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance