01-17-2016 12:29 PM
385 1234 ...
tools
    So, who has $400+ to spend on a phone? Its easier to get a phone at Verizon on the edge plan so you don't have to come up with all that money up front. Bloatware doesn't bother me because it can be disabled.

-Jason
    Yep, that is a problem for many people not willing to spend that much upfront on a phone. My advice to you would be to wait for the Play to come to the US - my guess is it will be a Droid Turbo 2 or Turbo MAXX or something like that. Then you'll be able to get one of these new Motorola beauties on Edge.
    07-29-2015 09:46 AM
    I understand its in the article, but the video is in the exact same article, just under where it says that.

Posted via the Android Central App
    The video would be wrong.
    07-29-2015 09:52 AM
    So, who has $400+ to spend on a phone? Its easier to get a phone at Verizon on the edge plan so you don't have to come up with all that money up front. Bloatware doesn't bother me because it can be disabled.

-Jason
    Motorola has their own financing program specifically for people who cannot afford to pay the entire amount up front although I believe it is only 0% interest if paid off in 12 months. Since Edge is basically just a 0% financing system now there really is no difference as long as you have good credit.
    jimbo1mcm likes this.
    07-29-2015 09:52 AM
    Motorola also offers 0% interest financing on their MotoMaker devices (and other stuff).
    07-29-2015 09:53 AM
    Motorola also offers 0% interest financing on their MotoMaker devices (and other stuff).
    Motorola has their own financing program specifically for people who cannot afford to pay the entire amount up front although I believe it is only 0% interest if paid off in 12 months. Since Edge is basically just a 0% financing system now there really is no difference as long as you have good credit.
    That's good to know. I have never checked out motomaker. Thanks for the heads up.

-Jason
    07-29-2015 09:55 AM
    I still have a grandfathered unlimited data plan (contract ends in September). I was thinking about the Droid Turbo Ballistic Nylon 64GB model, but unless they drop the pricing WAY down, I will probably go with the new XGPe, and may go 32 GB since I can use an SD card with it.

While I can (and have on my Maxx) disabled the VZW Bloat, it still takes up space. GPe looks more attractive.

And I will still have my Maxx as a backup (Moto site showed a $40 trade-in for it, meh)

Posted from my XT1080M
    07-29-2015 10:07 AM
    Edge is much more than a financing system, depending upon what your data plan is. First, you don't pay the $40 upgrade fee. Second, if your data plan is a certain amount you get $15 back each month, and a larger data plan (8+ I think) you get $25 back each month. In other words, over two years that will pay for the cost of many phones so you end up paying nothing other than tax upfront on the full amount I believe.
    07-29-2015 10:14 AM
    Ok, so what i just saw on youtube from the marcus brown guy says

There are actually three phones.. The style which is the carrier phone, the pure edition which is exactly like the style but not sold through carriers, only Motorola best buy and amazon. And of course the play, which we wont see in the states.

That makes a lot more sense to me. Im with people who would rather buy it at the carrier store and use the edge program instead of saving up for it lol. I dont mind verizons bloat, i just disable what i dont want.

07-29-2015 10:22 AM

There are actually three phones.. The style which is the carrier phone, the pure edition which is exactly like the style but not sold through carriers, only Motorola best buy and amazon. And of course the play, which we wont see in the states.

That makes a lot more sense to me. Im with people who would rather buy it at the carrier store and use the edge program instead of saving up for it lol. I dont mind verizons bloat, i just disable what i dont want.

Marcus (who without a doubt does some of the best hands on videos out there) is actually incorrect according to Android central, droid-life, the verge, engadget, android police, and more.

Moto X Pure Edition = US version of the 2015 Moto X
    Moto X Style = international version of the 2015 Moto X
    Moto X Play = smaller/mid range international phone
    Rocketsaucev2 and co.ag.2005 like this.
    07-29-2015 11:04 AM

I saw that video too. Marcus is misinformed. I have heard from many sources, including right here in this website, that there will be no carrier version. You can only buy the phone via the $400 price and insert a sim from a carrier.

07-29-2015 11:04 AM
    The style and the pure edition are the same phone. The style is for international markets and the pure edition sold in the US. The pure has all wireless bands to work with any carrier in the US. Don't worry about the play in the US because we don't get it
    And what clocks said

Galaxy S6
    07-29-2015 11:24 AM

-Jason
    you're paying that $400 anyway, the subsidized way means you pay an extra $15 a month, so it would be wise of you to save the extra $200 .... you'll save about $600 every 2 years that way.

07-29-2015 11:30 AM
    I would be pretty confident that Motorola and Verizon already have it worked through. Moto would not be touting the ability to work with all US carriers if they knew there could be activation hassles. Verizon has been the biggest supporter of Motorola since their first Droid device. Verizon might not be 100% in favor of this business model, but it's the future of the industry here in the US.

Also, regarding the 15/25 discount - doesn't matter where the device comes from. Bring your own phone, get the discount.

During the keynote they specifically said "If you have an active Verizon SIM you can put it in and go". Verizon won't activate any new SIM on their network unless it is going into a phone they "approve of" -- But as dpham said if the SIM is already activated on your line and you slap it in the phone it will work. Verizon can't stop this due to an agreement they made for some spectrum.
    07-29-2015 11:46 AM
    Edge is much more than a financing system, depending upon what your data plan is. First, you don't pay the $40 upgrade fee. Second, if your data plan is a certain amount you get $15 back each month, and a larger data plan (8+ I think) you get $25 back each month. In other words, over two years that will pay for the cost of many phones so you end up paying nothing other than tax upfront on the full amount I believe.
    That's incorrect....You get the same discount if you BYOD and you only pay an upgrade fee when you get a discount on a device. At least that's the information I'm seeing from Verizon website.

Edge and all the other phone payment plans are just forms of contracts.

I am pretty sure Moto never said this phone will not come to carriers....So I think atm it's only ANNOUNCED this way. We'll have to wait and see if and when it goes to carriers and in what fashion.
    07-29-2015 11:51 AM
    you're paying that $400 anyway, the subsidized way means you pay an extra $15 a month, so it would be wise of you to save the extra $200 .... you'll save about $600 every 2 years that way.

my disposable income is zero. between doctors visits, food, gas and trying to fill the heating oil tank for winter, i cant save any money. a family of 3 is more important than a new phone. but with the monthly payment, it is doable. i wish i could buy a new phone every time a new flagship comes out. i take really good care of my stuff so it lasts a while. my droid ultra is mint, and it really is whizzing along good. in November i am eligible for an upgrade and thats the right time frame to see if the pure will be a good phone. with the moto payment plan i can probably swing it. and remember, if i get a new phone, my wife will need to get one too. everything just doubled.

-Jason
    ScottMGS likes this.
    07-29-2015 11:55 AM
    During the keynote they specifically said "If you have an active Verizon SIM you can put it in and go". Verizon won't activate any new SIM on their network unless it is going into a phone they "approve of" -- But as dpham said if the SIM is already activated on your line and you slap it in the phone it will work. Verizon can't stop this due to an agreement they made for some spectrum.
    So I have to wait for them to certify the phone if I don't have an available sim? I was planning on going to Verizon when my contract with US Cellular is up and I want the moto x pure.

07-29-2015 11:57 AM
    my disposable income is zero. between doctors visits, food, gas and trying to fill the heating oil tank for winter, i cant save any money. a family of 3 is more important than a new phone. but with the monthly payment, it is doable. i wish i could buy a new phone every time a new flagship comes out. i take really good care of my stuff so it lasts a while. my droid ultra is mint, and it really is whizzing along good. in November i am eligible for an upgrade and thats the right time frame to see if the pure will be a good phone. with the moto payment plan i can probably swing it. and remember, if i get a new phone, my wife will need to get one too. everything just doubled.

-Jason
    His point is that you're paying $400 or more for a phone right now with subsidy. That is built into your phone plan. If you dropped your subsidy plan then you'd save more money on your plan and that money would and could go to buying a new phone. Now this isn't always the case.....Sometimes it's cheaper to have a subsidy plan when you have a family plan.

Run the numbers and find out what you're paying vs what you'd be paying if you changed it up.

Edit - For example....6GB plan with Verizon is $70 a month and $15 each smartphone without contract vs $40 with contract....

$150 a month with contract = $3600 for 2 years
    $100 a month w/o contract = $2400 for 2 years

You're paying $1200 for the two phones at the contract price plus whatever is due at signing vs buying 2 Pure Ed for $800.
    happasaiyan likes this.
    07-29-2015 12:00 PM
    No payments = money to save. You just have to get ahead of the game. I've been saving $20/month for a new phone since I bought my 2013 Moto X. When it's time for me to upgrade, I will have $480 in an envelope. Hi unlocked Moto X!
    co.ag.2005 likes this.
    07-29-2015 12:01 PM
    So I have to wait for them to certify the phone if I don't have an available sim? I was planning on going to Verizon when my contract with US Cellular is up and I want the moto x pure.

Pretty much. They won't activate a new one unless the phone is certified or "approved" in their eyes. Once the SIM is active and you slap in the phone they can't do anything about it.
    07-29-2015 12:03 PM
    His point is that you're paying $400 or more for a phone right now with subsidy. That is built into your phone plan. If you dropped your subsidy plan then you'd save more money on your plan and that money would and could go to buying a new phone. Now this isn't always the case.....Sometimes it's cheaper to have a subsidy plan when you have a family plan.

Run the numbers and find out what you're paying vs what you'd be paying if you changed it up.
    i realize that, but im still on a subsidy plan. i wanted to edge up, its cheaper for me that way. its just easier to go into the store and get a phone same day.

-Jason
    07-29-2015 12:16 PM
    Reading between the lines, and the videos, and the various websites - I've come to the conclusion that Motorola will sell the Moto X Style Pure Edition via its website, Best Buy, etc. At some time after that, it appears that carriers in the US will also sell the Moto X Style (it will be a carrier version perhaps with out the "Pure" label). I expect the release to carriers will vary by carrier.

There is a lot of different information from reviewers, and from Motorola itself, but I believe my conclusions are consistent with interpreting all of the various pieces of information.

For me, personally, I"m still on a grandfathered unlimited plan - but I can transfer my upgrades to a related business account - so I plan to transfer an upgrade - purchase a Iphone 6S for $200, sell that phone for $600, take the $400 and buy a Moto X Pure , unless the Moto X Pure can't be bootloader unlocked, and then I'll probably do the same to get the Nexus 2015
    07-29-2015 12:27 PM

-Jason
    I've lived paycheck to paycheck with mouths to feed to, so I definitely get where you're coming from ... maybe u can get on Moto's 0% financing program? Once you get ahead of that subsidized curve you'll always be ahead, and can just sell your phone whenever you're ready to upgrade.

07-29-2015 12:31 PM
    i realize that, but im still on a subsidy plan. i wanted to edge up, its cheaper for me that way. its just easier to go into the store and get a phone same day.

-Jason
    I'm no financial adviser....I just play one on the internet. But maybe you should consider Cricket over what Verizon has to offer. With no disposable income it seems like you should try to scale back some. Personally I wouldn't want to be in debt to Verizon if something hit the fan and you were unable to finish your obligation.

GL sir....Chances are this will be at Verizon at some point. But it just isn't announced yet.

Reading between the lines, and the videos, and the various websites - I've come to the conclusion that Motorola will sell the Moto X Style Pure Edition via its website, Best Buy, etc. At some time after that, it appears that carriers in the US will also sell the Moto X Style (it will be a carrier version perhaps with out the "Pure" label). I expect the release to carriers will vary by carrier.

There is a lot of different information from reviewers, and from Motorola itself, but I believe my conclusions are consistent with interpreting all of the various pieces of information.

For me, personally, I"m still on a grandfathered unlimited plan - but I can transfer my upgrades to a related business account - so I plan to transfer an upgrade - purchase a Iphone 6S for $200, sell that phone for $600, take the $400 and buy a Moto X Pure , unless the Moto X Pure can't be bootloader unlocked, and then I'll probably do the same to get the Nexus 2015
    I drew the same conclusion....seems like they wanted to announce something to get ahead of iPhone, OPO, and Samsung. Carriers sometimes like to announce their own release dates anyway and iirc esp the Droid line. So doesn't actually surprise me that Moto didn't go into detail about carrier availability.
    07-29-2015 12:36 PM
    No payments = money to save. You just have to get ahead of the game. I've been saving $20/month for a new phone since I bought my 2013 Moto X. When it's time for me to upgrade, I will have $480 in an envelope. Hi unlocked Moto X!
    this. that's how it's done and why so many people have trouble getting ahead. I get some people literally can't save a dime, I'm not talking about that though. but for the people that have a long term strategy, who instead of buying that pack of gum at the checkout line, put that extra money into a long term savings plan and put it to good use .... I'm sorry, I'm a financial advisor and try and teach kids how to save money and do seminars on building wealth, so seeing something like this is just awesome, and shockingly rare!

KWKSLVR and co.ag.2005 like this.
    07-29-2015 12:36 PM
    I drew the same conclusion....seems like they wanted to announce something to get ahead of iPhone, OPO, and Samsung. Carriers sometimes like to announce their own release dates anyway and iirc esp the Droid line. So doesn't actually surprise me that Moto didn't go into detail about carrier availability.
    As much as Motorola and others would like to bypass the carriers, the business model in the US of selling through carriers is too entrenched in consumers to just abandon carrier sales in with the flagship phone release. So I expect the "Pure" is the non-carrier version, and the "Style" will be the carrier version - with releases accordingly - so VZW will be last
    rushmore likes this.
    07-29-2015 12:45 PM
385 1234 ...