01-17-2016 11:29 AM
385 12345 ...
tools
    my disposable income is zero. between doctors visits, food, gas and trying to fill the heating oil tank for winter, i cant save any money. a family of 3 is more important than a new phone. but with the monthly payment, it is doable. i wish i could buy a new phone every time a new flagship comes out. i take really good care of my stuff so it lasts a while. my droid ultra is mint, and it really is whizzing along good. in November i am eligible for an upgrade and thats the right time frame to see if the pure will be a good phone. with the moto payment plan i can probably swing it. and remember, if i get a new phone, my wife will need to get one too. everything just doubled.

-Jason
    Common concerns which blows me more away carriers get away with 2GB caps based on usage data from 2G and 2.5G history, yet try to push cloud storage, LTE and hi def video. Then again, that is why the carriers pay DC lobbyists the big bucks. My guess is the lobbyists drive very nice cars and have plenty of disposable income.
    07-29-2015 11:47 AM
    As much as Motorola and others would like to bypass the carriers, the business model in the US of selling through carriers is too entrenched in consumers to just abandon carrier sales in with the flagship phone release. So I expect the "Pure" is the non-carrier version, and the "Style" will be the carrier version - with releases accordingly - so VZW will be last
    This year is the big test though of just how well this type of model can do. But according to AC the Moto G has been a great selling phone and it's mostly been sold unlocked. This year we got the Zenphone, the Idol 3, and then that weirdly named one also. Plus OPO sold 1.5 mill last year. It's small potatoes versus what Samsung does but it's a start.

The hard part is going to educate consumers enough that these things are out there if you're smart enough to shop around and research. Not something consumers generally do. They want to go in and just pickup a phone from a carrier without thinking about what they're paying for. It's unfortunate but that's where we've been. It does seem like we might be headed for a shift in that mentality though.

/crossing fingers that these kind of options will work and continue
    co.ag.2005 likes this.
    07-29-2015 11:57 AM
    As much as Motorola and others would like to bypass the carriers, the business model in the US of selling through carriers is too entrenched in consumers to just abandon carrier sales in with the flagship phone release. So I expect the "Pure" is the non-carrier version, and the "Style" will be the carrier version - with releases accordingly - so VZW will be last
    I'm no financial adviser....I just play one on the internet. But maybe you should consider Cricket over what Verizon has to offer. With no disposable income it seems like you should try to scale back some. Personally I wouldn't want to be in debt to Verizon if something hit the fan and you were unable to finish your obligation.

GL sir....Chances are this will be at Verizon at some point. But it just isn't announced yet.

I drew the same conclusion....seems like they wanted to announce something to get ahead of iPhone, OPO, and Samsung. Carriers sometimes like to announce their own release dates anyway and iirc esp the Droid line. So doesn't actually surprise me that Moto didn't go into detail about carrier availability.
    Reading between the lines, and the videos, and the various websites - I've come to the conclusion that Motorola will sell the Moto X Style Pure Edition via its website, Best Buy, etc. At some time after that, it appears that carriers in the US will also sell the Moto X Style (it will be a carrier version perhaps with out the "Pure" label). I expect the release to carriers will vary by carrier.

There is a lot of different information from reviewers, and from Motorola itself, but I believe my conclusions are consistent with interpreting all of the various pieces of information.

For me, personally, I"m still on a grandfathered unlimited plan - but I can transfer my upgrades to a related business account - so I plan to transfer an upgrade - purchase a Iphone 6S for $200, sell that phone for $600, take the $400 and buy a Moto X Pure , unless the Moto X Pure can't be bootloader unlocked, and then I'll probably do the same to get the Nexus 2015
    According to this Motorola's software chief on talking to phones and life after Google there won't be any carrier branded versions
    07-29-2015 12:40 PM
    According to this Motorola's software chief on talking to phones and life after Google there won't be any carrier branded versions
    Hmm, looks like I could be wrong. Given the earlier confusion, it seems that now they really are saying there isn't a plan to release carrier versions. Guess we'll see.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
    07-29-2015 01:10 PM
    That's incorrect....You get the same discount if you BYOD and you only pay an upgrade fee when you get a discount on a device. At least that's the information I'm seeing from Verizon website.

Edge and all the other phone payment plans are just forms of contracts.

I am pretty sure Moto never said this phone will not come to carriers....So I think atm it's only ANNOUNCED this way. We'll have to wait and see if and when it goes to carriers and in what fashion.
    Math on this:

Pay $400 upfront--get $25 credit per month x24=600 Net $200 savings
    Pay 16.66 per month x 24=400 paid Get $25 credit per month x 24=600 Net $200 savings At any time the phone can be paid off if you want to do that also.

So what am I missing here?

It's all moot anyway unless one gets the Droid branded version on Verizon that will likely cost more because I think it will be much of the best of the Play/Pure combined fwiw.
    07-29-2015 01:43 PM
    Hmm, looks like I could be wrong. Given the earlier confusion, it seems that now they really are saying there isn't a plan to release carrier versions. Guess we'll see.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
    Nothing to wait for. There will not be carrier-branded Pure phones. The Play will probably come to Verizon as the next Turbo.

Posted via the Android Central App
    07-29-2015 01:43 PM
    Math on this:

Pay $400 upfront--get $25 credit per month x24=600 Net $200 savings
    Pay 16.66 per month x 24=400 paid Get $25 credit per month x 24=600 Net $200 savings At any time the phone can be paid off if you want to do that also.

So what am I missing here?
    What people aren't getting is that if you buy a phone on a two-year contract, you are probably paying a $100 or $200 upfront cost for the phone, then paying $40/month for service. That's how people can get hosed.

07-29-2015 01:45 PM
    Nothing to wait for. There will not be carrier-branded Pure phones. The Play will probably come to Verizon as the next Turbo.

I'm not planning on waiting I'll use my Verizon upgrade to buy an Iphone 6S or something - sell that for $600-700, then purchase the Moto X Pure that I want (or Nexus 2015 - depending on unlockable bootloader).

However, I do think that regardless of what Motorola has said in the 24 hours, there is a still the possibility, if not the likelihood of Motorola selling a phone similar to the Style/Pure on carriers at some point in the future, especially if the sales are slow at Best Buy. Motorola may not plan to sell through carriers as of today, but tomorrow they could change their mind. I think the statements made during the announcement show that either everyone at Motorola isn't on board with only a direct approach, or that Motorola is reserving/planning for the possibility of selling through carriers at a future date (even if it is a slightly different sku/phone), or else Motorola didn't prep their announcement team very well

@kjjb0204 - you said it yourself - "There will not be carrier-branded PURE phones". I think that statement allows for the "Style" to be sold by carriers. And there is definitely confusion regarding what the style is and what the Pure is, and whether it is just radio/phone programming opening up all the frequency bands, include CDMA, or whether the naming scheme might also indicate sales channels, including U.S. sales
    07-29-2015 01:56 PM
    I just dont see motorola shutting out so many potential buyers under the idea of "well they will save up for it".
    When i get a new phone its been because i was either ready for an upgrade or had enough money to edge up.

I got the droid turbo on release day because i could pay enuff on my edge tot edge up. Verizon made money on me but i got to have the phone the day i wanted it.

If they never come to carriers, their sales numbers are going to be noticeably lower. How is that a better plan?

07-29-2015 02:43 PM
    I much prefer buying devices outright - I buy a lot of devices and using contracts and/or edge type plans seems to have the potential over-complicate it.
    ^^ this. Plus by buying outright I keep my VZW unlimited data plan that I have hung onto by buying moto x phones directly from Moto.
    07-29-2015 02:48 PM
    I just dont see motorola shutting out so many potential buyers under the idea of "well they will save up for it".
    When i get a new phone its been because i was either ready for an upgrade or had enough money to edge up.

I got the droid turbo on release day because i could pay enuff on my edge tot edge up. Verizon made money on me but i got to have the phone the day i wanted it.

If they never come to carriers, their sales numbers are going to be noticeably lower. How is that a better plan?

As others have mentioned....Moto offers 0% financing on phones purchased through them. If ppl are still foolish enough to do contracts and buy a locked down, bloat filled, logo ugly device then it's unfortunate for them.

It's Moto's job to try to convince them that there is a better way to get it directly from them. Idk whether it'll work, but it's a "better plan" because a Moto PE is $399 and an OPO2 is $389 while an S6, iPhone, and G4 are $600+. Moto says that it's cheaper because they can go straight to the consumer and for me that's a better deal than going to a stupid carrier. If it's not for you then you still have the option to do as you please.
    07-29-2015 02:55 PM
    I'm most likely buying a Moto X Pure to replace my current Verizon Moto X. I'm just curious, whats the best way to get the phone covered for damage since Verizon probably won't insure it.
    07-29-2015 03:24 PM
    I'm most likely buying a Moto X Pure to replace my current Verizon Moto X. I'm just curious, whats the best way to get the phone covered for damage since Verizon probably won't insure it.
    Probably Squaretrade.. They don't cover theft and loss but probably cheaper than what Verizon offers.

07-29-2015 03:34 PM
    I don't know that I'd worry about insurance. I paid $125 to Motorola to replace a moto x 2014 that I dropped, $175 for a nexus 6 I dropped (after not dropping phones for 3 years, it caught up with me). In both cases, I kept the broken screen phone to use until the replacement was in hand (about 2 days after calling moto), then shipped the broken phone to moto. The $125 is what a deductible is, and I don't pay a monthly fee, but it doesn't cover loss or theft.

07-29-2015 03:48 PM
    so I plan to transfer an upgrade - purchase a Iphone 6S for $200, sell that phone for $600, take the $400 and buy a Moto X Pure
    I'm not planning on waiting I'll use my Verizon upgrade to buy an Iphone 6S or something - sell that for $600-700, then purchase the Moto X Pure that I want (or Nexus 2015 - depending on unlockable bootloader).
    This is exactly what I did for the Nexus 6. I upgraded my UDP Verizon plan in November 2014 with an iPhone, sold it, and put the cash towards the Nexus 6 which I purchased from Motorola. After deducting all the costs of the upgrade and sale, counting fees from eBay, PayPal, shipping, and whatever else, I cleared around $450.

My wife is on a prepaid carrier (Net10 using AT&T service). I've been getting her the unlocked Moto X, starting with the 2013 version and then 2014. I plan to follow the pattern and get her the 2015 version. I'm very glad to see that the Moto X Style Pure Edition will work on Verizon because I'd like to switch her to Verizon prepaid. I haven't yet because I'm quite adamant about not buying a carrier locked phone (and she doesn't want something as big as the Nexus 6, plus it is expensive). Now I can upgrade her as usual, and she'll be free to switch to Verizon service.
    07-29-2015 03:56 PM
    I dont think its foolish to be with a carrier, even on contract. I dont plan on leaving verizon anytime soon and they are always good to me so a contract is no big deal. So what if it cost a little more to get a phone through a carrier? If the option is there its win win for the company. If the option showed that carriers werent moving phones near as much because of the direct buy option, then that would force the carriers to rethink their strategy.
    Anyway it is all a moot point as of now, because i am waiting on a droid and if i don't like the new droid then I'll look at other options.

07-29-2015 04:01 PM
    Moto offers insurance if you buy it from them ... I think it was like $6 a month on the Nexus 6.

07-29-2015 04:33 PM
    I dont think its foolish to be with a carrier, even on contract. I dont plan on leaving verizon anytime soon and they are always good to me so a contract is no big deal. So what if it cost a little more to get a phone through a carrier? If the option is there its win win for the company. If the option showed that carriers werent moving phones near as much because of the direct buy option, then that would force the carriers to rethink their strategy.
    Anyway it is all a moot point as of now, because i am waiting on a droid and if i don't like the new droid then I'll look at other options.

Wait, why are we cheering a win win for a company? Are you a company and not a consumer?

Giving people the ability to save money by buying directly from the manufacturer is beneficial to the CONSUMER. That's the real win win win....The phone maker gets to avoid making a bunch of diff phone specs for diff carriers, consumers get their discount because they don't have to ship and give profits to carriers, and carriers get their monthly payments for their service.

As for changing strategies.....Yes, they did that. They moved away from contracts for that very reason. Phone companies make big bucks on your monthly payments. That's why all these interest free payments sprang up. It's also the reason we have these pretty good unlocked phone options that were previously not available. Carriers technically do not care where you buy the phone....their goal is to ensure that you keep your service with them for the life of it.

If you're happy paying your contract then I'm happy for you. In the end what's good is that there is now a choice for us consumers.
    happasaiyan and co.ag.2005 like this.
    07-29-2015 04:57 PM
    Moto offers insurance if you buy it from them ... I think it was like $6 a month on the Nexus 6.

Yeah...looks like it was $130 for the Nexus 6. I do wonder if this phone will be similar or less since the starting price is much less. Apparently the Moto X last year was $80. It just might be worth it for $80.

The good thing about Squaretrade though is you can get a refund if you sell or just want to cancel. So if you buy the 2 year plan for $99 and you only use it for 2 months then you'll get a $91 or so refund back. The negative is it's slightly higher deductible than Moto at $75.

Just gotta wait to see what Moto care will cost for the new X I guess.
    co.ag.2005 likes this.
    07-29-2015 05:10 PM
    I have moto care on n6, used it already, love it. Much better than assurion for my experience.

M Dev Nexus 6 Assassin Edition. Gonfaloniere
    07-29-2015 06:48 PM
    By Motorola choosing the route to sell directly to consumers and making their phone work with every single carrier in the US by simply popping in a SIM card, hopefully it will put pressure on the carriers to have to compete more on price rather than trying to lock you into a fixed price contract. When you buy a phone like the Moto X style and are able to switch carriers at will, it allows you to have the best cost for your service no matter what your circumstances are. If more and more phone manufacturers do this, hopefully it will have a trickle effect and make carriers realize that they need to offer better prices for their services or their churn rates will go way up. And they don't like that at all! I applaud Motorola for going this route along with a few of the other phone manufacturers that have recently started selling direct to consumers. In addition, when you buy a phone from a carrier, it means that the phone manufacturer makes less profit on that phone. They sell them to the carriers for a discounted price. One of the reasons Motorola is going to be able to offer this phone at such a great price is because they do not plan on giving up any of that extra dollars to the carriers. That means it benefits us with a better phone for a lower cost. So I for one am all for this move of selling direct to consumers and letting us choose our service and the price point we would like for our service based on our circumstances.

Since I have unlimited data grandfathered in on Verizon, I have been purchasing my phone and activating it on my plan for the last 4 years. That way I can keep my unlimited data. I constantly get emails, phone calls and snail mail from Verizon trying to entice me to get a new phone and sign up for a 2 year contract. They like this a lot because it allows them to easily make projections on their income and profits and also makes them lazy by not making them be more efficient with their business practices. If they had to fight for customers because they didn't have them all locked into two year contracts, I believe it would force them to be a lot more competitive on pricing with their plans.

Posted via Android Central App from a beautiful Ebony backed Original Moto X or the amazing Nexus 10
    co.ag.2005 likes this.
    07-29-2015 07:35 PM
    So, I'm on a business plan with att. Normally we just go to the store and pick out our phone. Should I just get a high end phone and sell it, then use the cash to buy a moto x? I just don't see how they are going to sell many of these without having these available at least thru a carriers website. I would think most phone shoppers are going to go into a store and buy what's there, or they will browsethecarriers website and either order it there, or inquire at the carriers store if it's only available thru the carrier online. I wonder how long it will take them to see that this may not be the best idea only selling them thru a few retailers. I may hold on to my x '13 a while and see how this shakes out.
    07-29-2015 09:33 PM
    So, who has $400+ to spend on a phone? Its easier to get a phone at Verizon on the edge plan so you don't have to come up with all that money up front. Bloatware doesn't bother me because it can be disabled.

-Jason
    Moto has their own financing, as does Best Buy. With Edge you are making the monthly payments, but the problem is - if something else comes out that you want, you are either stuck with your existing phone or you have to pay it off (then you are free to sell it). With Best Buy financing or Moto, you could sell the Moto X and use the proceeds to pay off the remaining balance.

If you are Best Buy rewards member you also get points if you just charge it and pay off within the month. When I got a Dyson vacuum for the new apartment I paid it off and was able to get an Acer monitor with the points.
    07-29-2015 10:57 PM
    Yeah...looks like it was $130 for the Nexus 6. I do wonder if this phone will be similar or less since the starting price is much less. Apparently the Moto X last year was $80. It just might be worth it for $80.

The good thing about Squaretrade though is you can get a refund if you sell or just want to cancel. So if you buy the 2 year plan for $99 and you only use it for 2 months then you'll get a $91 or so refund back. The negative is it's slightly higher deductible than Moto at $75.

Just gotta wait to see what Moto care will cost for the new X I guess.
    thx for the info, I'm gonna have to look into it. I'll gladly pay that small premium for the flexibility

07-30-2015 12:11 AM
    Moto has their own financing, as does Best Buy. With Edge you are making the monthly payments, but the problem is - if something else comes out that you want, you are either stuck with your existing phone or you have to pay it off (then you are free to sell it). With Best Buy financing or Moto, you could sell the Moto X and use the proceeds to pay off the remaining balance.

If you are Best Buy rewards member you also get points if you just charge it and pay off within the month. When I got a Dyson vacuum for the new apartment I paid it off and was able to get an Acer monitor with the points.
    Dyson huh? fancy shmancy! lol ... I recently grabbed the Shark, best vacuum I've ever owned hands down. To your point, I grabbed a Chromebook for my son with all the points I've accumulated. Just had to throw in $30 on top of the points. There's good credit, and bad credit, and if you're smart and disciplined, it's amazing what you can do with a little creativity. I pay every single monthly bill with my credit card on automatic bill pay, then have my checking account pay the credit card balance off in full. Everything is set up automatically, I pay 0% in interest since I never carry a balance, and I get cash rewards in $25 increments automatically transferred into my checking account, which is about $250-$300 a year. Nothing like making money just for paying your bills, especially when I don't have to do a single thing except look at my statement for 5 minutes once a month!

sixty_four and EricandSuebee like this.
    07-30-2015 12:28 AM
385 12345 ...