01-17-2016 12:29 PM
385 ... 7891011 ...
tools
    They just won't activate a new SIM on it.
    I'm a VZW customer and will be needing a new nano sim card I really hope it won't be an issue.
    09-06-2015 01:29 PM
    I apologize in advance if this is the wrong forum for this question, but,

I purchased my X last year under contract from Verizon. If I purchase the new X outright now and obviously not under contract, will I then be considered "out of contract" from a Verizon standpoint? I'm thinking even tho I will no longer have the phone, I still purchased it at a subsidized rate under a 2 year contract and they will hold me to it.

The smartphone charge each month is $40/phone while under contract and $20/phone if purchased outright or using their Edge payment plan.

Thanks for any insight!
    09-06-2015 01:46 PM
    Your line will be under contract for 2 years from activation of the x 14. Doesn't matter what phone you use.

On the current Verizon plan, you would have to pay the additional $20 charge until the contract is over.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 5
    alphabets likes this.
    09-06-2015 01:51 PM
    I apologize in advance if this is the wrong forum for this question, but,

I purchased my X last year under contract from Verizon. If I purchase the new X outright now and obviously not under contract, will I then be considered "out of contract" from a Verizon standpoint? I'm thinking even tho I will no longer have the phone, I still purchased it at a subsidized rate under a 2 year contract and they will hold me to it.

The smartphone charge each month is $40/phone while under contract and $20/phone if purchased outright or using their Edge payment plan.

Thanks for any insight!
    You will have to finish the the term of your contract, or pay early termination fees, before you can change you payments.

Posted via the Android Central App
    alphabets likes this.
    09-06-2015 01:53 PM
    That's what I figured. Thanks to both of you for the responses.
    09-06-2015 01:59 PM
    I agree that this is going to be NO PROBLEM on Verizon. I have chatted online, called the 800 number, and been to 2 different corporates stores in the last few days. In the normal case when a new phone is launched, Verizon Employees typically know nothing about new launched phones. Every store, chat, and call I have made they know about the Pure edition coming. They also say they have heard that there will be no problem with using the phone on Verizon. They all hedge their bet a bit with a weak disclaimer, but it has been my experience that this is a lot more than they usually commit to. IMHO the word from Verizon has filtered out to their employees that this is going to be ok on the VZW network. I totally agree with kjjb0204 this is coming from the top.
    09-06-2015 02:05 PM
    Why do people think that carriers get a large wholesale discount on devices? I'm sure there might be a little discount on some devices, but they're not making $200 per device - maybe $2 per device is closer.
    You should probably take some business and economics courses so you can understand.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk
    09-06-2015 02:15 PM
    You should probably take some business and economics courses so you can understand.

lol - economics I understand. I've been in analytics and management for a long time. I'm saying that because everything we've ever gleaned from the carrier side is that they make little to nothing from the sale of devices. Their business model revolves around selling connectivity and accessories.
    09-06-2015 02:45 PM
    From a mod, really? You DO NOT have to have an already-acitve SIM. You can take your new Pure, walk into a Verizon store as a non-customer, buy a sim and a plan and you're off to the races. Why are people still sticking to this junk about the way Verizon used to do business? Give it up people, the new way of BYOP is alive and here. Even with Verizon.
    I will have to believe it when I see it. When Verizon didn't sell the Nexus 6 they wouldn't activate new SIM cards... They did once they sold it. Since no one has done what you said yet for the pure.. it's just speculation they'll allow it for a new unactivated SIM. Who knows? Maybe they changed? Anything is possible... I'm just going on history and what we know for sure right now.
    09-06-2015 03:21 PM
    I will have to believe it when I see it. When Verizon didn't sell the Nexus 6 they wouldn't activate new SIM cards... They did once they sold it. Since no one has done what you said yet for the pure.. it's just speculation they'll allow it.
    I understand your point of view and agree that it's hard to believe given the history of verizon and unlocked phones. All I can tell you is I've seen a video of a new sim, still in its plastic card case thing, being broken off, inserted into a factory-fresh Pure, powered on, set up, phone calls made, data used, on verizon. Worked perfectly. Took about 5 minutes from power on to first call. Seemed to take a little longer activating than I've seen with other devices, but once it was done, verizon 4G LTE logo was on and cranking.

Anyhow, I can't wait to get mine. It's going to be so sweet!

RikkiRay and co.ag.2005 like this.
    09-06-2015 03:32 PM
    We expect one thing to happen but the phone isn't out yet.
    09-06-2015 03:59 PM
    lol - economics I understand. I've been in analytics and management for a long time. I'm saying that because everything we've ever gleaned from the carrier side is that they make little to nothing from the sale of devices. Their business model revolves around selling connectivity and accessories.
    ~$25 per month subsidy cost built into your monthly fee = $600 for 24 months. The difference, then, is if you pay an up-front cost ($0-$200 depending on the device). So, yes, the carriers are oftentimes selling the devices at retail price and not wholesale price.

09-06-2015 04:41 PM
    ~$25 per month subsidy cost built into your monthly fee = $600 for 24 months. The difference, then, is if you pay an up-front cost ($0-$200 depending on the device). So, yes, the carriers are oftentimes selling the devices at retail price and not wholesale price.

Oh yeah I agree on that. They're just not BUYING them at wholesale - carriers are also buying the devices at retail or very close to it; and they're passing the entire cost of that to the consumers.
    09-06-2015 05:24 PM
    Oh yeah I agree on that. They're just not BUYING them at wholesale - carriers are also buying the devices at retail or very close to it; and they're passing the entire cost of that to the consumers.
    I am not doubting you because I really don't know, but it seems inconceivable to me a large carrier like Verizon is going to pay the same to Samsung for a new device as I can pay online or at the carrier store. I figured that the cost to VZW would be like the 399.00 Motorola is charging the consumer now they are selling direct. Net to Motorola is about the same. On Verizon the Pure would be 550 or 599.00 for a nice profit.
    dmark44 likes this.
    09-06-2015 07:31 PM
    I am not doubting you because I really don't know, but it seems inconceivable to me a large carrier like Verizon is going to pay the same to Samsung for a new device as I can pay online or at the carrier store. I figured that the cost to VZW would be like the 399.00 Motorola is charging the consumer now they are selling direct. Net to Motorola is about the same. On Verizon the Pure would be 550 or 599.00 for a nice profit.
    Of course we're speculating unless they release the terms of the agreement on any specific device, however in previous years they were purchased at cost and the OEM would often end up buying back unused stock with the carrier getting a specific kick per device. But in years past devices were also made special for a carrier, similar to the Droid but across the board. If it is vastly different now, that'd surprise me but anything is possible.

sent via Nexus Assassin Edition. Gonfaloniere.
    jephanie likes this.
    09-06-2015 10:25 PM
    That would be an incorrect assumption based on every retail model I've ever seen.

09-06-2015 10:56 PM
    ...so, forgive my ignorance - when my new phone arrives Verizon can take SIM from my 2013 Moto X and put it in the new X and I'm good to go. I'm still on contract.

Sent from my XT1060 using Xparent Pink Tapatalk 2
    09-06-2015 11:24 PM
    ...so, forgive my ignorance - when my new phone arrives Verizon can take SIM from my 2013 Moto X and put it in the new X and I'm good to go. I'm still on contract.

Sent from my XT1060 using Xparent Pink Tapatalk 2
    Yes.

Posted via Android Central App (Moto X)
    Laineyc likes this.
    09-07-2015 12:00 AM
    I'm going to need a new card. Mine is currently a micro and not a nano.
    09-07-2015 01:25 PM
    I'm going to need a new card. Mine is currently a micro and not a nano.
    I just visited the local corporate store. They wouldn't give me one ahead if time, but I just wanted to swap the micro out for a nano, they will do it in store for me on the spot.

grooks likes this.
    09-07-2015 01:30 PM
    FWIW, I called Verizon customer service & spoke with a very helpful rep. Told her what phone I was getting, needed to get a nano sim as my current phone uses a micro sim.

She muted the conversation several times so she could speak with her supervisor. Basically, they wanted to know what kind of phone I was getting; told them it was the new Moto X Pure Edition 2015. She said they would send a nano sim out to me; later same day, I received an email saying it had been shipped. With the holiday weekend, I'm guessing it will arrive Tuesday.

I told her at the end of the call, to confirm, that all I wanted was a new nano sim, did not want to change my plan or phone number, & also asked if the new phone is a "go" on Verizon - she confirmed.

The only odd thing during the call, she asked what color of phone I was getting. Asked her what that had to do with getting a nano sim. She didn't say much but continued on with the order process.
    09-07-2015 04:28 PM
    The only odd thing during the call, she asked what color of phone I was getting. Asked her what that had to do with getting a nano sim. She didn't say much but continued on with the order process.
    Maybe she just thought it was cool to be able to customize it, and can't wait to get one for herself.

Sent from my Moto X using Tapatalk
    Rocketsaucev2 likes this.
    09-07-2015 06:02 PM
    Hi all, I have what is probably a pretty basic question but I just want to make sure I'm going to do it correctly. This will be my first phone bought directly from a manufacturer and not through Verizon and subsidized by them. I have unlimited data and obviously don't want to lose that, so from what I understand, if I pop out the sim card on my current phone, a Moto X (2013) and put it in the Pure, it will allow my plan to carry over to the new phone, as well as my phone number of course.

My question is the actual activation process: when I activated the 2013 X, I called an 800 number at VZ, which was in the material in the box, and followed the prompts to get the phone up and running. Will it be the same thing with this or will I do it online through my account at the VZ web site?

Thanks.
    09-07-2015 06:58 PM
    Would probably check the "Will it work on Verizon thread, or call Verizon.

Linebarrel86 likes this.
    09-07-2015 07:10 PM
    Since the 2013 Moto X already uses a nano sim, you just need to pop it into the new Moto X and you'll be good to go. No need to call any number or activate it online because your sim card is already active under VZW.

Posted via the AC app
    Clocks likes this.
    09-07-2015 07:18 PM
385 ... 7891011 ...