Will the Moto X Style/Moto X Pure Edition work on Verizon? (YES)

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
Re: Moto X on Verizon

During the keynote they specifically said "If you have an active Verizon SIM you can put it in and go". Verizon won't activate any new SIM on their network unless it is going into a phone they "approve of" -- But as dpham said if the SIM is already activated on your line and you slap it in the phone it will work. Verizon can't stop this due to an agreement they made for some spectrum.

So I have to wait for them to certify the phone if I don't have an available sim? I was planning on going to Verizon when my contract with US Cellular is up and I want the moto x pure.

Posted via the Android Central App

Woosh

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site

my disposable income is zero. between doctors visits, food, gas and trying to fill the heating oil tank for winter, i cant save any money. a family of 3 is more important than a new phone. but with the monthly payment, it is doable. i wish i could buy a new phone every time a new flagship comes out. i take really good care of my stuff so it lasts a while. my droid ultra is mint, and it really is whizzing along good. in November i am eligible for an upgrade and thats the right time frame to see if the pure will be a good phone. with the moto payment plan i can probably swing it. and remember, if i get a new phone, my wife will need to get one too. everything just doubled.

-Jason

His point is that you're paying $400 or more for a phone right now with subsidy. That is built into your phone plan. If you dropped your subsidy plan then you'd save more money on your plan and that money would and could go to buying a new phone. Now this isn't always the case.....Sometimes it's cheaper to have a subsidy plan when you have a family plan.

Run the numbers and find out what you're paying vs what you'd be paying if you changed it up.

Edit - For example....6GB plan with Verizon is $70 a month and $15 each smartphone without contract vs $40 with contract....

$150 a month with contract = $3600 for 2 years
$100 a month w/o contract = $2400 for 2 years

You're paying $1200 for the two phones at the contract price plus whatever is due at signing vs buying 2 Pure Ed for $800.

Last edited:

KWKSLVR

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site

No payments = money to save. You just have to get ahead of the game. I've been saving $20/month for a new phone since I bought my 2013 Moto X. When it's time for me to upgrade, I will have $480 in an envelope. Hi unlocked Moto X!

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

So I have to wait for them to certify the phone if I don't have an available sim? I was planning on going to Verizon when my contract with US Cellular is up and I want the moto x pure.

Pretty much. They won't activate a new one unless the phone is certified or "approved" in their eyes. Once the SIM is active and you slap in the phone they can't do anything about it.

Jab73180

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site

His point is that you're paying $400 or more for a phone right now with subsidy. That is built into your phone plan. If you dropped your subsidy plan then you'd save more money on your plan and that money would and could go to buying a new phone. Now this isn't always the case.....Sometimes it's cheaper to have a subsidy plan when you have a family plan.

Run the numbers and find out what you're paying vs what you'd be paying if you changed it up.
i realize that, but im still on a subsidy plan. i wanted to edge up, its cheaper for me that way. its just easier to go into the store and get a phone same day.

-Jason

jasoraso

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Re: Moto X Style on Verizon

Reading between the lines, and the videos, and the various websites - I've come to the conclusion that Motorola will sell the Moto X Style Pure Edition via its website, Best Buy, etc. At some time after that, it appears that carriers in the US will also sell the Moto X Style (it will be a carrier version perhaps with out the "Pure" label). I expect the release to carriers will vary by carrier.

There is a lot of different information from reviewers, and from Motorola itself, but I believe my conclusions are consistent with interpreting all of the various pieces of information.

For me, personally, I"m still on a grandfathered unlimited plan - but I can transfer my upgrades to a related business account - so I plan to transfer an upgrade - purchase a Iphone 6S for $200, sell that phone for $600, take the $400 and buy a Moto X Pure :), unless the Moto X Pure can't be bootloader unlocked, and then I'll probably do the same to get the Nexus 2015

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site

my disposable income is zero. between doctors visits, food, gas and trying to fill the heating oil tank for winter, i cant save any money. a family of 3 is more important than a new phone. but with the monthly payment, it is doable. i wish i could buy a new phone every time a new flagship comes out. i take really good care of my stuff so it lasts a while. my droid ultra is mint, and it really is whizzing along good. in November i am eligible for an upgrade and thats the right time frame to see if the pure will be a good phone. with the moto payment plan i can probably swing it. and remember, if i get a new phone, my wife will need to get one too. everything just doubled.

-Jason

I've lived paycheck to paycheck with mouths to feed to, so I definitely get where you're coming from ... maybe u can get on Moto's 0% financing program? Once you get ahead of that subsidized curve you'll always be ahead, and can just sell your phone whenever you're ready to upgrade.

Woosh

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site

i realize that, but im still on a subsidy plan. i wanted to edge up, its cheaper for me that way. its just easier to go into the store and get a phone same day.

-Jason

I'm no financial adviser....I just play one on the internet. But maybe you should consider Cricket over what Verizon has to offer. With no disposable income it seems like you should try to scale back some. Personally I wouldn't want to be in debt to Verizon if something hit the fan and you were unable to finish your obligation.

GL sir....Chances are this will be at Verizon at some point. But it just isn't announced yet.

Reading between the lines, and the videos, and the various websites - I've come to the conclusion that Motorola will sell the Moto X Style Pure Edition via its website, Best Buy, etc. At some time after that, it appears that carriers in the US will also sell the Moto X Style (it will be a carrier version perhaps with out the "Pure" label). I expect the release to carriers will vary by carrier.

There is a lot of different information from reviewers, and from Motorola itself, but I believe my conclusions are consistent with interpreting all of the various pieces of information.

For me, personally, I"m still on a grandfathered unlimited plan - but I can transfer my upgrades to a related business account - so I plan to transfer an upgrade - purchase a Iphone 6S for $200, sell that phone for $600, take the $400 and buy a Moto X Pure :), unless the Moto X Pure can't be bootloader unlocked, and then I'll probably do the same to get the Nexus 2015

I drew the same conclusion....seems like they wanted to announce something to get ahead of iPhone, OPO, and Samsung. Carriers sometimes like to announce their own release dates anyway and iirc esp the Droid line. So doesn't actually surprise me that Moto didn't go into detail about carrier availability.

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
No payments = money to save. You just have to get ahead of the game. I've been saving $20/month for a new phone since I bought my 2013 Moto X. When it's time for me to upgrade, I will have $480 in an envelope. Hi unlocked Moto X!

this. that's how it's done and why so many people have trouble getting ahead. I get some people literally can't save a dime, I'm not talking about that though. but for the people that have a long term strategy, who instead of buying that pack of gum at the checkout line, put that extra money into a long term savings plan and put it to good use .... I'm sorry, I'm a financial advisor and try and teach kids how to save money and do seminars on building wealth, so seeing something like this is just awesome, and shockingly rare!

jasoraso

May 17, 2010
Visit site

I drew the same conclusion....seems like they wanted to announce something to get ahead of iPhone, OPO, and Samsung. Carriers sometimes like to announce their own release dates anyway and iirc esp the Droid line. So doesn't actually surprise me that Moto didn't go into detail about carrier availability.

As much as Motorola and others would like to bypass the carriers, the business model in the US of selling through carriers is too entrenched in consumers to just abandon carrier sales in with the flagship phone release. So I expect the "Pure" is the non-carrier version, and the "Style" will be the carrier version - with releases accordingly - so VZW will be last :)

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site

-Jason

Common concerns which blows me more away carriers get away with 2GB caps based on usage data from 2G and 2.5G history, yet try to push cloud storage, LTE and hi def video. Then again, that is why the carriers pay DC lobbyists the big bucks. My guess is the lobbyists drive very nice cars and have plenty of disposable income.

Woosh

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site

As much as Motorola and others would like to bypass the carriers, the business model in the US of selling through carriers is too entrenched in consumers to just abandon carrier sales in with the flagship phone release. So I expect the "Pure" is the non-carrier version, and the "Style" will be the carrier version - with releases accordingly - so VZW will be last :)

This year is the big test though of just how well this type of model can do. But according to AC the Moto G has been a great selling phone and it's mostly been sold unlocked. This year we got the Zenphone, the Idol 3, and then that weirdly named one also. Plus OPO sold 1.5 mill last year. It's small potatoes versus what Samsung does but it's a start.

The hard part is going to educate consumers enough that these things are out there if you're smart enough to shop around and research. Not something consumers generally do. They want to go in and just pickup a phone from a carrier without thinking about what they're paying for. It's unfortunate but that's where we've been. It does seem like we might be headed for a shift in that mentality though.

/crossing fingers that these kind of options will work and continue

Bl00dRunzC0ld

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site

I'm no financial adviser....I just play one on the internet. But maybe you should consider Cricket over what Verizon has to offer. With no disposable income it seems like you should try to scale back some. Personally I wouldn't want to be in debt to Verizon if something hit the fan and you were unable to finish your obligation.

GL sir....Chances are this will be at Verizon at some point. But it just isn't announced yet.

According to this Motorola's software chief on talking to phones and life after Google there won't be any carrier branded versions

benjamminh

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site

That's incorrect....You get the same discount if you BYOD and you only pay an upgrade fee when you get a discount on a device. At least that's the information I'm seeing from Verizon website.

Edge and all the other phone payment plans are just forms of contracts.

I am pretty sure Moto never said this phone will not come to carriers....So I think atm it's only ANNOUNCED this way. We'll have to wait and see if and when it goes to carriers and in what fashion.

Math on this:

Pay $400 upfront--get $25 credit per month x24=600 Net $200 savings
Pay 16.66 per month x 24=400 paid Get $25 credit per month x 24=600 Net $200 savings At any time the phone can be paid off if you want to do that also.

So what am I missing here?

It's all moot anyway unless one gets the Droid branded version on Verizon that will likely cost more because I think it will be much of the best of the Play/Pure combined fwiw.

anon(19759)

Trusted Member
Apr 30, 2010
Visit site

Hmm, looks like I could be wrong. Given the earlier confusion, it seems that now they really are saying there isn't a plan to release carrier versions. Guess we'll see.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Nothing to wait for. There will not be carrier-branded Pure phones. The Play will probably come to Verizon as the next Turbo.

anon(19759)

Trusted Member
Apr 30, 2010
Visit site

Math on this:

Pay $400 upfront--get $25 credit per month x24=600 Net $200 savings
Pay 16.66 per month x 24=400 paid Get $25 credit per month x 24=600 Net $200 savings At any time the phone can be paid off if you want to do that also.

So what am I missing here?

What people aren't getting is that if you buy a phone on a two-year contract, you are probably paying a $100 or $200 upfront cost for the phone, then paying $40/month for service. That's how people can get hosed.

jasoraso

May 17, 2010
Visit site

Nothing to wait for. There will not be carrier-branded Pure phones. The Play will probably come to Verizon as the next Turbo.

I'm not planning on waiting :) I'll use my Verizon upgrade to buy an Iphone 6S or something - sell that for $600-700, then purchase the Moto X Pure that I want (or Nexus 2015 - depending on unlockable bootloader).

However, I do think that regardless of what Motorola has said in the 24 hours, there is a still the possibility, if not the likelihood of Motorola selling a phone similar to the Style/Pure on carriers at some point in the future, especially if the sales are slow at Best Buy. Motorola may not plan to sell through carriers as of today, but tomorrow they could change their mind. I think the statements made during the announcement show that either everyone at Motorola isn't on board with only a direct approach, or that Motorola is reserving/planning for the possibility of selling through carriers at a future date (even if it is a slightly different sku/phone), or else Motorola didn't prep their announcement team very well :)

@kjjb0204 - you said it yourself - "There will not be carrier-branded PURE phones". I think that statement allows for the "Style" to be sold by carriers. And there is definitely confusion regarding what the style is and what the Pure is, and whether it is just radio/phone programming opening up all the frequency bands, include CDMA, or whether the naming scheme might also indicate sales channels, including U.S. sales

russel5150

Jul 15, 2012
Visit site

I just dont see motorola shutting out so many potential buyers under the idea of "well they will save up for it".
When i get a new phone its been because i was either ready for an upgrade or had enough money to edge up.

I got the droid turbo on release day because i could pay enuff on my edge tot edge up. Verizon made money on me but i got to have the phone the day i wanted it.

If they never come to carriers, their sales numbers are going to be noticeably lower. How is that a better plan?

dsw1519

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site

I much prefer buying devices outright - I buy a lot of devices and using contracts and/or edge type plans seems to have the potential over-complicate it.

^^ this. Plus by buying outright I keep my VZW unlimited data plan that I have hung onto by buying moto x phones directly from Moto.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanran21