Will the Moto X Style/Moto X Pure Edition work on Verizon? (YES)

anon(19759)

Trusted Member
Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
Re: Moto X Style on Verizon

I'm not planning on waiting :) I'll use my Verizon upgrade to buy an Iphone 6S or something - sell that for $600-700, then purchase the Moto X Pure that I want (or Nexus 2015 - depending on unlockable bootloader).

However, I do think that regardless of what Motorola has said in the 24 hours, there is a still the possibility, if not the likelihood of Motorola selling a phone similar to the Style/Pure on carriers at some point in the future, especially if the sales are slow at Best Buy. Motorola may not plan to sell through carriers as of today, but tomorrow they could change their mind. I think the statements made during the announcement show that either everyone at Motorola isn't on board with only a direct approach, or that Motorola is reserving/planning for the possibility of selling through carriers at a future date (even if it is a slightly different sku/phone), or else Motorola didn't prep their announcement team very well :)

@kjjb0204 - you said it yourself - "There will not be carrier-branded PURE phones". I think that statement allows for the "Style" to be sold by carriers. And there is definitely confusion regarding what the style is and what the Pure is, and whether it is just radio/phone programming opening up all the frequency bands, include CDMA, or whether the naming scheme might also indicate sales channels, including U.S. sales

Nope. Same phone. Style and Pure are same thing. Style outside the US. Pure within the US.

Woosh

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site

My wife and I are relatively hardcore. We are not full blown Dave Ramsey people, but we are close enough to drive our poor opinionated friends and family bonkers. We don't use credit, we're cash flowing her grad school and we're TIGHT. I mean I clip coupons for crying out loud. But I can still afford to take $20 worth of blow money a month and add it to my cell phone envelope. I may add more these next few months just to have extra cash for a case or two. And that's the first category we severely adjust if it's an unexpectedly tight money (my income is variable).

I get it, I live it. I know ours is temporary, voluntary and planned so it's different emotionally. But it's the exact same mechanically. We work HARD to stay on the same page and make our money stretch and work for us. We don't swipe debit cards for a few dollars here and there. We eat out rarely (and I prefer cooking anyway. It's cheaper and tastes better). I have a cash budget for groceries, clothes, entertainment - literally everything. It takes convincing for me to believe that there is literally no money in a budget. Usually we can find all sorts of places where cash hemorrhages itself. Typically it's buying overpriced groceries and making payments on things.

We prefer to make payments to ourselves, interest free, and worst case scenario I don't buy a new phone and I have an extra $500 sitting around instead of making a $20/month payment to Motorola. Cell phones are turning into something that "everyone has to have". There's no reason to not make them part of a savings plan. Not that I think it's wrong to take a subsidized phone, but if I can toss back the same money I'd spend on chicken wings and beer at a sports bar once a month and have a new toy, I'll take it. I wanted a smart watch, I did the same thing and tossed some blow money back for several months. I wanted a PS4, so my wife let me sell a bunch of stuff on Craigslist and use the money for that.

There are cheaper and less stressful ways to get what we need or want than to finance it on Day 1 like it's something that we didn't know we wanted and/or didn't know was coming so we chose to act like we needed RIGHT THEN!!!!!!

This guy does things the right way. Bravo.

To be fair....there is a difference between using CCs and drowning in debt. It's good to use CCs to keep that credit up. Not everything in life can be bought out of an envelope(Unless you're rich) and I do hope he keeps that score up in case someday down the line he needs home repairs, new car, new house, etc.

There are also ways to get a lot of bonuses with credit cards and rewards like above posters pointed out. I wouldn't say either way is right or wrong....as long as you're responsible and don't let things get out of control there are advantages to both ways of living.

travaz

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: Moto X on Verizon

I wonder if Verizon and the other carriers support this move by Motorola so they can get out of selling hardware. I am sure they make a profit but the cost of support and replacing equipment may be something that off sets a lot of the profits. The carriers could then just offer service and do away with a lot of employee's at stores etc. I also can't believe that Moto didn't run this by their biggest customers. (The Carriers) It is a nice model for the consumer and I hope to buy a pure and run it on VZW.

KWKSLVR

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
To be fair....there is a difference between using CCs and drowning in debt. It's good to use CCs to keep that credit up. Not everything in life can be bought out of an envelope(Unless you're rich) and I do hope he keeps that score up in case someday down the line he needs home repairs, new car, new house, etc.

There are also ways to get a lot of bonuses with credit cards and rewards like above posters pointed out. I wouldn't say either way is right or wrong....as long as you're responsible and don't let things get out of control there are advantages to both ways of living.

Credit cards were not a requirement for me to a get a mortgage. And cash makes me much more strict than even swiping debit, much less credit, and I have quicken to prove/remind myself! LOL

I'm not trying to derail the forum. It's a free country and luckily we can all choose to do what we want. I just wanted to point out that it really doesn't take that much to save for some form of smart phone, even if it was a Moto E. I just want to give people the opportunity to be introduced to another methodology that just might help them get what they want when they didn't think it was realistic.

If things really are that tight, and I have friends who really have been that tight, then in my opinion a new smart phone shouldn't even be in the discussion. Again, that's my own opinion as someone who has been there and could be there again one day. No one is immune.

Being a gadget guy, I have to set money back. My wife is not a gadget person. She couldn't care less and that's good, because it keeps me in check. But just contemplate that $5/week is $520 over a 2 year period. Does that buy any flagship you want? Definitely not. But if you sold your current device chances are it would get you relatively close. Payments are the enemy of cash flow and little things can add up fast!

So again, if you can't swing $5/week then rethink a new phone, at least temporarily. Not trying to come down on anyway, I'm just trying to point out that the money is often there if you work a solid budget.

Posted via Android Central App

Mike Majeski

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site

Dyson huh? fancy shmancy! lol ... I recently grabbed the Shark, best vacuum I've ever owned hands down. To your point, I grabbed a Chromebook for my son with all the points I've accumulated. Just had to throw in $30 on top of the points. There's good credit, and bad credit, and if you're smart and disciplined, it's amazing what you can do with a little creativity. I pay every single monthly bill with my credit card on automatic bill pay, then have my checking account pay the credit card balance off in full. Everything is set up automatically, I pay 0% in interest since I never carry a balance, and I get cash rewards in $25 increments automatically transferred into my checking account, which is about $250-$300 a year. Nothing like making money just for paying your bills, especially when I don't have to do a single thing except look at my statement for 5 minutes once a month!

Posted via the Android Central App

Haha...I kinda wish we hadn't done the Dyson in hindsight, but you know how it is when you move into a new place. But it does do a good job with three cats running around.

Woosh

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site

Credit cards were not a requirement for me to a get a mortgage. And cash makes me much more strict than even swiping debit, much less credit, and I have quicken to prove/remind myself! LOL

I'm not trying to derail the forum. It's a free country and luckily we can all choose to do what we want. I just wanted to point out that it really doesn't take that much to save for some form of smart phone, even if it was a Moto E. I just want to give people the opportunity to be introduced to another methodology that just might help them get what they want when they didn't think it was realistic.

If things really are that tight, and I have friends who really have been that tight, then in my opinion a new smart phone shouldn't even be in the discussion. Again, that's my own opinion as someone who has been there and could be there again one day. No one is immune.

Being a gadget guy, I have to set money back. My wife is not a gadget person. She couldn't care less and that's good, because it keeps me in check. But just contemplate that $5/week is $520 over a 2 year period. Does that buy any flagship you want? Definitely not. But if you sold your current device chances are it would get you relatively close. Payments are the enemy of cash flow and little things can add up fast!

So again, if you can't swing $5/week then rethink a new phone, at least temporarily. Not trying to come down on anyway, I'm just trying to point out that the money is often there if you work a solid budget.

Posted via Android Central App

Keep in mind you might be paying thousands more for your house over someone who frequently uses credit cards because of your credit score. I don't know what it is but I'm just pointing out that credit is important and I completely agree with your way of life. Kinda wish I could do it myself....But my point was that credit cards aren't the devil and if you're responsible enough with them then you can get some pretty good benefits.

I do agree with you some ppl live above their means. I try to stay in the middle with some savings, some debt, some possessions, and continuing to pay into all of them.

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site

My wife and I are relatively hardcore. We are not full blown Dave Ramsey people, but we are close enough to drive our poor opinionated friends and family bonkers. We don't use credit, we're cash flowing her grad school and we're TIGHT. I mean I clip coupons for crying out loud. But I can still afford to take $20 worth of blow money a month and add it to my cell phone envelope. I may add more these next few months just to have extra cash for a case or two. And that's the first category we severely adjust if it's an unexpectedly tight month (my income is variable).

I get it, I live it. I know ours is temporary, voluntary and planned so it's different emotionally. But it's the exact same mechanically. We work HARD to stay on the same page and make our money stretch and work for us. We don't swipe debit cards for a few dollars here and there. We eat out rarely (and I prefer cooking anyway. It's cheaper and tastes better). I have a cash budget for groceries, clothes, entertainment - literally everything. It takes convincing for me to believe that there is literally no money in a budget. Usually we can find all sorts of places where cash hemorrhages itself. Typically it's buying overpriced groceries and making payments on things.

We prefer to make payments to ourselves, interest free, and worst case scenario I don't buy a new phone and I have an extra $500 sitting around instead of making a $20/month payment to Motorola. Cell phones are turning into something that "everyone has to have". There's no reason to not make them part of a savings plan. Not that I think it's wrong to take a subsidized phone, but if I can toss back the same money I'd spend on chicken wings and beer at a sports bar once a month and have a new toy, I'll take it. I wanted a smart watch, I did the same thing and tossed some blow money back for several months. I wanted a PS4, so my wife let me sell a bunch of stuff on Craigslist and use the money for that.

There are cheaper and less stressful ways to get what we need or want than to finance it on Day 1 like it's something that we didn't know we wanted and/or didn't know was coming so we chose to act like we needed RIGHT THEN!!!!!!

love it ... keep up the good work. one thing ib would suggest though, since you seem to be so well disciplined, is not to shy away from credit, good credit that is.

I pay my fixed monthly bills on a credit card through automatic bill pay. It's a cash back rewards card, which means every time I accumulate $25 worth of points, free cash automatically goes into my checking account automatically. I simply pay off the credit card in full every month, again, automatically.

So I don't pay a penny in fees or interest, pay the same bills I have to pay anyway, everything is done automatically, and I make $250-$300, sometimes more a year doing it. Not to mention I have an 800 credit score!!

KWKSLVR

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site

Our credit is fantastic, credit cards not required. We have a good credit union too.

Bl00dRunzC0ld

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site

However, I do think that regardless of what Motorola has said in the 24 hours, there is a still the possibility, if not the likelihood of Motorola selling a phone similar to the Style/Pure on carriers at some point in the future, especially if the sales are slow at Best Buy. Motorola may not plan to sell through carriers as of today, but tomorrow they could change their mind. I think the statements made during the announcement show that either everyone at Motorola isn't on board with only a direct approach, or that Motorola is reserving/planning for the possibility of selling through carriers at a future date (even if it is a slightly different sku/phone), or else Motorola didn't prep their announcement team very well :)

@kjjb0204 - you said it yourself - "There will not be carrier-branded PURE phones". I think that statement allows for the "Style" to be sold by carriers. And there is definitely confusion regarding what the style is and what the Pure is, and whether it is just radio/phone programming opening up all the frequency bands, include CDMA, or whether the naming scheme might also indicate sales channels, including U.S. sales

Engadget: So are carriers going to sell locked-down versions of the Moto X Style?

Chau: Moto X Style will be exclusively available online and in Best Buys. There are no preloads, no other versions in the US. Isn't that great? Because we can cut out the middleman, we can deliver a better price too.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

I wonder if Verizon and the other carriers support this move by Motorola so they can get out of selling hardware. I am sure they make a profit but the cost of support and replacing equipment may be something that off sets a lot of the profits. The carriers could then just offer service and do away with a lot of employee's at stores etc. I also can't believe that Moto didn't run this by their biggest customers. (The Carriers) It is a nice model for the consumer and I hope to buy a pure and run it on VZW.
Definitely not Verizon. They want the most control over their phones. They won't activate a non certified device. And yeah you can swap sims but Verizon won't give you the $15/25 off contract discount, as well as provide you support with your device if you had a problem.

jexx

Nov 28, 2013
Visit site

Being a long time Verizon customer, sixteen plus years. I was wondering about this, as I would really like to purchase the Moto X style when available this fall.

My upgrade would be available in October. This would be my first device bought outright and off contract. I kinda figured that Verizon would not support the device and I would have to deal with Motorola for support. I currently have the Moto X 2013, and it has been flawless and never needed support from Motorola. A bit of a dilemma right now for me?

Jab73180

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site

Definitely not Verizon. They want the most control over their phones. They won't activate a non certified device. And yeah you can swap sims but Verizon won't give you the $15/25 off contract discount, as well as provide you support with your device if you had a problem.
Why do they not give you the discount? Don't they have to if your off contract?

-Jason

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

Why do they not give you the discount? Don't they have to if your off contract?

-Jason
They give a discount for off contract on Verizon certified phones. If the phone isn't certified like the n6 at launch then it probably would not qualify for the 15/25 off contract discount

anon(19759)

Trusted Member
Apr 30, 2010
Visit site

People need to stop talking about things that have not been confirmed. Verizon hasn't said squat about the pure and how they are handling. I'll bet they will have no issues treating like any other off contract device. Still gets the discount, doesn't need this while "certification" bs that people are saying. Point is, stop telling everyone it won't work when no one outside of Moto and Verizon have any clue.

landale

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site

They give a discount for off contract on Verizon certified phones. If the phone isn't certified like the n6 at launch then it probably would not qualify for the 15/25 off contract discount

Hopefully Verizon will eliminate 2 year contracts entirely at some point this year and launch new plans with the discount built in. That would at least resolve the problem but we will have to wait and see.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

People need to stop talking about things that have not been confirmed. Verizon hasn't said squat about the pure and how they are handling. I'll bet they will have no issues treating like any other off contract device. Still gets the discount, doesn't need this while "certification" bs that people are saying. Point is, stop telling everyone it won't work when no one outside of Moto and Verizon have any clue.

Verizon does require the device to be certified for the 15/25 discount. So it would depend whether or not Motorola gets the certification by launch. If they do then you will get the discount. If they do not then you won't.

It did affect n6 users.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/google-nexus-6/484075-verizon-month-month-discount.html

Last edited:

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site

If you are doing a BYOD, why does anyone think they should get the $15/25 discounts, that is intended for Verizon's Edge program, same as AT&T's Next you don't get a discount unless you are on the program which ties you to them through a hardware contract that if you leave you pay off the balance. Easier and cleaner for them.

anon(19759)

Trusted Member
Apr 30, 2010
Visit site

If you are doing a BYOD, why does anyone think they should get the $15/25 discounts, that is intended for Verizon's Edge program, same as AT&T's Next you don't get a discount unless you are on the program which ties you to them through a hardware contract that if you leave you pay off the balance. Easier and cleaner for them.

Wrong. Byod get the same access discounts as edge devices. I have two Byod phones on the 15GB plan and pay $15 access for each.

travaz

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site

I just had a problem with my Turbo that Verizon wanted nothing to do with so I had to call Motorola anyway so I don't see that as a big deal. You take a device in the store and most of the time they tell you to call OEM.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463