Will the Moto X Style/Moto X Pure Edition work on Verizon? (YES)

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Re: Moto X on Verizon

I just had a problem with my Turbo that Verizon wanted nothing to do with so I had to call Motorola anyway so I don't see that as a big deal. You take a device in the store and most of the time they tell you to call OEM.
For phone issues, I usually call in. Never had a problem getting a phone replaced over the phone

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Re: Moto X on Verizon

Hopefully Verizon will eliminate 2 year contracts entirely at some point this year and launch new plans with the discount built in. That would at least resolve the problem but we will have to wait and see.

I wouldn't hold your breath on that ... this buying unlocked phone thing is for Android enthusiasts like us, which make up probably less than 5% of the general public. plans with discounts aren't happening, and 2 years plans are definitely not going away, not even close

Posted via the Android Central App

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Re: Moto X Style on Verizon

If you are doing a BYOD, why does anyone think they should get the $15/25 discounts, that is intended for Verizon's Edge program, same as AT&T's Next you don't get a discount unless you are on the program which ties you to them through a hardware contract that if you leave you pay off the balance. Easier and cleaner for them.

I get a $15 discount on VZ, own my S4 outright.

Posted via the Android Central App

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

Correct. Currently Verizon allows off contract to have the 15/25 discount. Previously, it did not.

Depending on the previous plan though, right?

Posted via Android Central App (Moto X)

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

Depending on the previous plan though, right?

Posted via Android Central App (Moto X)

I believe that it is applicable to the more everything plan and legacy share everything plans only. Older plans like the one with unlimited data do not get a discount for being off contract. Kinda Verizon's way of nudging people to a current plan. And really for the vast majority of people, unless you care about UDP, you should be on a current plan.

But also the off contract discount didn't start until more recently on April 17,2014, after the MEP was introduced.
Verizon to give discounts to customers with off-contract phones http://www.androidcentral.com/verizon-give-discounts-customers-contract-phones

imma_rage_quit

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site
Moto X Style - Advanced Calling on Verizon??

I have the 2014 Moto X and the thing I'm most upset about is the lack of advanced calling (no simultaneous voice and data in particular!!!). I was promised by the Verizon clowns that it would be turned on within a month or two and here we are 9 months later and nothing! Has anyone heard anything one way or another about whether the new Moto X Style will have advanced calling turned on from the beginning?

landale

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
Re: Moto X Style - Advanced Calling on Verizon??

I don't think we will know until closer to release but I am having a hard time being optimistic as if any part of it requires Verizon to do something on their end makes chances of it being included on an unlocked carrier free device slim to none.

imma_rage_quit

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site

I'm about to switch to AT&T. Their 4G LTE is faster. Plans are cheaper. They get better phones. (I still have unlimited data so this is a tough choice for me)

landale

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site

I'm about to switch to AT&T. Their 4G LTE is faster. Plans are cheaper. They get better phones. (I still have unlimited data so this is a tough choice for me)

I am in a similar boat. I have a grandfathered unlimited plan but only really use 3-4GB of data per month. Verizon's network in Houston is having regular congestion issues while both AT&T and T-Mobile have improved greatly in the past year. I have pretty much decided whatever phone I get next will be multi-carrier (either the Moto X or new Nexus) and will make a decision within the next few months.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

That does suck. I wouldn't give up unlimited though since I actually use a bit. If you're comfortable with a limited one and it will save you cash in the long run it may be an option.

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site

I am in a similar boat. I have a grandfathered unlimited plan but only really use 3-4GB of data per month. Verizon's network in Houston is having regular congestion issues while both AT&T and T-Mobile have improved greatly in the past year. I have pretty much decided whatever phone I get next will be multi-carrier (either the Moto X or new Nexus) and will make a decision within the next few months.

If AT&T offered a promo to switch (ie pay any fees, etc), I'd move over myself.

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site

Advanced Calling is available on the Nexus 6 on verizon thanks to the built in settings in android 5.1 (where it is called "Enhanced 4G mode"). I would expect the MXPE to work the same way since it is absent any carrier software.

I dont know what the heck happened with the 2014 Moto X. As far as I know it is the only modern phone without simultaneous voice + data on Verizon.