Will the Moto X Style/Moto X Pure Edition work on Verizon? (YES)

co.ag.2005

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
Re: Nano Sim

Just discovered That my Droid maxx (current phone) has a nano Sim. From what I have seen posted, when I get my moto x pure addition I should be able to take the nano out of the Maxx and into the moto x and the activation should be good to go. Moto x pure should work. Talking about Verizon. Can anyone confirm? It took some digging to find out the type of Sim was in the Maxx. Thanks all!

Posted via the Android Central App

yes, it'll work. have you not read this last page of this thread? and if it's a nano sim, just pop out, place in Moto X, and you are good to go. If it's a larger sim, you'll have to cut it down or get a new one from VZW

EDIT: I see your post was merged into this thread. I just wanted to make sure you didn't ask a question that has been answered a bunch of times already :)

On2Vegas

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site

yes, it'll work. have you not read this last page of this thread? and if it's a nano sim, just pop out, place in Moto X, and you are good to go. If it's a larger sim, you'll have to cut it down or get a new one from VZW

In his/her defense, they originally posted this separately and a moderator merged it into this thread.

linuxmel

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site

EDIT: I see your post was merged into this thread. I just wanted to make sure you didn't ask a question that has been answered a bunch of times already :)

I knew it would work, my main problem was finding out if my Droid maxx had a nano Sim. I found a site that gives detail phone specs and it list the Maxx as having a nano Sim. Thanks for the reply.
Now I just need to find out if the moto x is global ready so I can use it when traveling to Canada. Can't seem to get answer to this ☺

co.ag.2005

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site

I knew it would work, my main problem was finding out if my Droid maxx had a nano Sim. I found a site that gives detail phone specs and it list the Maxx as having a nano Sim. Thanks for the reply.
Now I just need to find out if the moto x is global ready so I can use it when traveling to Canada. Can't seem to get answer to this ☺

gotcha...

here's the specs, not sure what makes it global ready or not. It's carrier unlocked and will work on the following frequencies / bands.

Networks
LTE cat. 6 capable
WCDMA
CDMA
EV-DO
GSM/EDGE

Bands
GSM/GPRS/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz)
UMTS/HSPA+ (850, 900, 1700 (AWS),1900, 2100 MHz)
CDMA (800, 850, 1900 MHz)
4G LTE† (B1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 12, 13, 17, 25, 26, 38, 41)
source: Moto X Pure Edition (2015) - Unlocked Smartphone - Motorola

travaz

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site

I have posted this earlier but I have been told at a corporate store, online chat, and on the Verizon 800 number that there would be no issue getting and activating a sim on the pure. I have a nano in my Turbo but when I get the Pure I am going to head to a store and request a sim just to see how they react. If they give me a run around I will stand right there in front of them and put the turbo sim in and see what their reaction is. Sounds like fun to me!

linuxmel

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site

I have posted this earlier but I have been told at a corporate store, online chat, and on the Verizon 800 number that there would be no issue getting and activating a sim on the pure. I have a nano in my Turbo but when I get the Pure I am going to head to a store and request a sim just to see how they react. If they give me a run around I will stand right there in front of them and put the turbo sim in and see what their reaction is. Sounds like fun to me!

That'll show them ☺let us know what happened ☺good luck 🍀

ngc457

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
Trouble Activating on Verizon?

I know the phone is compatible with Verizon and activates great for those that have an active nano sim already. I am asking, for those that do not have an active nano sim (or didn't cut a micro down to size), what was your experience going to Verizon and getting one? We they happy to activate the Moto X pure? Did they give you lip? Did you have to threaten to go to another carrier? How willing was Verizon on activating the moto x?

wkm001

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
Can't activate on Verizon

The IMEIs have not been added to Verizon's system yet so they will not activate them. You either have to have a Verizon phone with a nano SIM slot, and activate with that phone or already have a SIM.

Scratch4

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site
Re: Trouble Activating on Verizon?

I know the phone is compatible with Verizon and activates great for those that have an active nano sim already. I am asking, for those that do not have an active nano sim (or didn't cut a micro down to size), what was your experience going to Verizon and getting one? We they happy to activate the Moto X pure? Did they give you lip? Did you have to threaten to go to another carrier? How willing was Verizon on activating the moto x?

I went to 2 corporate stores, and both did not activate the Pure for me. Basically said that because the phone's IMEI is not in their systems, they cannot give me a new nano SIM card. I asked if they could just give me a nano SIM card, and one salesman said 'no' for inventory reasons. They also said that they cannot use the floor model of any phone for the purposes of activating a new nano SIM card. Both seamed to frown and not try to be helpful because its an "unlocked" phone. Fyi, I'm currently a Verizon customer for 15 years. Didn't threaten to leave.

Take this with a huge grain of salt, but I called Motorola customer service and a manager said that Verizon will have the phone certified in their systems on Monday. If it isn't certified on Monday, then my 'Plan B' is getting a nano SIM card by calling Verizon (I just called and it's on its way), and getting a Nano to Micro SIM adapter, and getting that nano SIM card activated with my current Galaxy phone. Then, I will put that activated nano SIM into the Pure. 'Plan C' is cutting the Micro SIM.

itguyjax8430

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2013
Visit site

I went to 2 corporate stores, and both did not activate the Pure for me. Basically said that because the phone's IMEI is not in their systems, they cannot give me a new nano SIM card. I asked if they could just give me a nano SIM card, and one salesman said 'no' for inventory reasons. They also said that they cannot use the floor model of any phone for the purposes of activating a new nano SIM card. Both seamed to frown and not try to be helpful because its an "unlocked" phone. Fyi, I'm currently a Verizon customer for 15 years. Didn't threaten to leave.

Take this with a huge grain of salt, but I called Motorola customer service and a manager said that Verizon will have the phone certified in their systems on Monday. If it isn't certified on Monday, then my 'Plan B' is getting a nano SIM card by calling Verizon (I just called and it's on its way), and getting a Nano to Micro SIM adapter, and getting that nano SIM card activated with my current Galaxy phone. Then, I will put that activated nano SIM into the Pure. 'Plan C' is cutting the Micro SIM.

All you have to do when the nano sim comes in is. Log in to your account online, click change phones. Put in your current phone imei or esn and put in the new sim number. The system doesn't care that you are using the same esn again, it just checks to make sure it's a Verizon phone. Once the service is swapped to the new sim you can put it in to the Pure and you are good to go.

itguyjax8430

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2013
Visit site

Just go to the store ask to buy a nano sim, tell them you don't need it activated you just want the sim. Then see my post above on how to activate it.

Scratch4

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site

All you have to do when the nano sim comes in is. Log in to your account online, click change phones. Put in your current phone imei or esn and put in the new sim number. The system doesn't care that you are using the same esn again, it just checks to make sure it's a Verizon phone. Once the service is swapped to the new sim you can put it in to the Pure and you are good to go.

Thanks for this info! But doesn't the new nano sim need to be IN the current phone when you click "change phones"? I'm assuming that it does (that's why the store can't activate the new nano SIM), so I was going to purchase a Nano to Micro SIM adapter. If not, then that's great! But then why can't stores just do this?

Cakefish

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site
Why do you even need to manage it on an account online? Is this an inherent flaw of CDMA? It should just be capable of being hot swapped on the fly, whenever, wherever and to whatever device you desire. GSM SIM cards in the UK are not locked down at all and can be freely swapped between any device that supports the technology. So is it CDMA being severely limited or Verizon being evil dictators?

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
Why do you even need to manage it on an account online? Is this an inherent flaw of CDMA? It should just be capable of being hot swapped on the fly, whenever, wherever and to whatever device you desire. GSM SIM cards in the UK are not locked down at all and can be freely swapped between any device that supports the technology. So is it CDMA being severely limited or Verizon being evil dictators?
You can freely swap a verizon sim card *after* it is activated. All this talk of online account activation and in store trouble is with trying to get a new sim active when the only phone you have is a moto x pure.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

Historically, it's just how CDMA was implemented in the US.

djh2011

May 1, 2011
Visit site

Thanks for this info! But doesn't the new nano sim need to be IN the current phone when you click "change phones"? I'm assuming that it does (that's why the store can't activate the new nano SIM), so I was going to purchase a Nano to Micro SIM adapter. If not, then that's great! But then why can't stores just do this?

I wonder if I can take the the extra micro that I cut down to nano and put it in a micro adapter tray and then do the online switch? Should work right? I don't want to cut my current activated micro in the event I need to return or redesign

RikkiRay

Sep 2, 2015
Visit site

I wonder if I can take the the extra micro that I cut down to nano and put it in a micro adapter tray and then do the online switch? Should work right? I don't want to cut my current activated micro in the event I need to return or redesign

Well duh! Sometimes I crack me up! Thought I had figured out in my mind :p how I was going to get this all to work with no snags on Verizon, but maybe there's an easier way for me to go from my current micro sim to a nano sim.

If I take the new nano sim, put it in a nano-to-micro adapter in my current phone, then update online as itguyjax8430 suggested, the new nano sim should be ready to go in my MPXE (if it ever arrives *sigh*). Yes?

Am I correct (as Scratch4 & djh2011 mentioned) that the adapted nano sim should already be in my old phone (and the old phone turned ON?) when I do the online change?

So, then if all that goes as expected, what happens when Moto & Verizon actually DO get together with the correct MXPE imei numbers after I've entered online the imei of my old phone? Will Verizon's system automatically update the old imei to that of the new MXPE?

Apologies for all the questions, but I can't be without a phone, & I only want to do this sim thing once.
(Verizon, why do you have to make life so difficult???) :confused:

co.ag.2005

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site

Both. But mostly the latter ;) but they have great coverage in most places across the country thus people still stick with them

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
batsam