08-19-2015 06:48 AM
96 1234
tools
    I am really leaning towards yes ^_^.
    Aquila likes this.
    07-29-2015 05:42 PM
    I'm resenting the fact that Motorola decided not to release the Play edition in the US because it consequently means that there has been much less media coverage about that device. Makes it hard to compare the two to decide which one I want to buy.
    07-29-2015 05:48 PM
    It's honestly a toss up for me between this, OP2, and the next Nexus - I doubt I'll want anything to do with the Note 5 or edge+. I'm a little worried about the battery life and I wish it had OIS in the camera. I don't care about USB-C right now, as it'll still be a little while before it's the industry standard. Either way, I want to keep it on the less expensive side, so these will probably be my options - and I really like the stock-ish experience as I'll be coming from a Nexus 6.
    07-30-2015 10:09 AM
    Stuck between Nexus 6, MOTO X and OP2.. so many cool devices coming up.. nah, I'm confused as hell
    07-30-2015 11:45 AM
    It's honestly a toss up for me between this, OP2, and the next Nexus - I doubt I'll want anything to do with the Note 5 or edge+. I'm a little worried about the battery life and I wish it had OIS in the camera. I don't care about USB-C right now, as it'll still be a little while before it's the industry standard. Either way, I want to keep it on the less expensive side, so these will probably be my options - and I really like the stock-ish experience as I'll be coming from a Nexus 6.
    ^^this^^ chances are I'll snag 2 of the 3 to replace my Nexus 4 and S4.

reasonably priced, near stock, unbranded, bloat free phones that have most attributes I'm looking for, that'll last me 24-36 months is how I plan to do business in the foreseeable future.

Posted via the Android Central App
    Wildo6882 likes this.
    07-30-2015 06:00 PM
    I'm really watching this device, I think I'm gonna pass on the OP2 Oxygen OS is junk, it does have some good features and price points. The Moto X Style/Pure is definitely on the watch list, but I think at this point if the next Nexus can push out wireless charging, fingerprint scanner, and a great camera, micro sd, dual sim (something you would expect from a Chinese manufacturer) would be great, may have to dump my dual sim S6.
    Chex313 likes this.
    07-30-2015 11:19 PM
    Yes. I will.

Wish the battery wasa bit bigger, wish it had usb-c.
    07-31-2015 12:42 AM
    I really would love to have this phone, it has everything I really want, plus almost pure google experience, I'm on Tmobile. Tmobile has wifi calling capability, I've had verizon and sprint previously and neither service had wifi calling, wifi calling is great when you are in the basement of a building or hotel where there is no service. Will this phone have wifi calling capability? I hope so, because that may be a deal breaker for me!
    07-31-2015 04:52 PM
    I was so excited for the new Moto X. My only requirements were 1) improved camera, 2) solid battery life and 3) stock/near stock.

Can somebody please explain to me what is so complicated with this simple request? Now that I've had a few hours to digest the news, I'm pretty upset with 3000 mAh, specifically on a 5.7" device.

An unlocked, pure smartphone for $399 is amazing. Plus it has front facing speakers, that gorgeous display, and SD slot. But the one thing I wanted, the reason I didn't get the S6 Edge, and have been patiently waiting it out on my S4, was for a phone that had stock android and could last me from the time I woke up, to the time I went to bed, without having to worry about battery life all day.

Unfortunately, this simple, yet elusive request still hasn't been resolved, and at this point, I'm realizing compromises will need to be made ... battery life won't be one of them though!!

Honestly it looks like they nailed all of your requirements and them some.

via Shield Tablet. Android Central Moderator.
    07-31-2015 05:01 PM
    I really would love to have this phone, it has everything I really want, plus almost pure google experience, I'm on Tmobile. Tmobile has wifi calling capability, I've had verizon and sprint previously and neither service had wifi calling, wifi calling is great when you are in the basement of a building or hotel where there is no service. Will this phone have wifi calling capability? I hope so, because that may be a deal breaker for me!
    Through hangouts yes....Through T-Mo nope.
    07-31-2015 09:55 PM
    Honestly it looks like they nailed all of your requirements and them some.

I'm 90% I'll preorder one, the value is too great to pass up and it just seems like an awesome phone. I know you consider 3000 mAh to be great, judging from your comments, but we'll have to agree to disagree. 3.5 hours SOT isn't what I consider sufficient, and I would've been much happier if they either decided to go with 1080p on a 5.5" display or used the same 3630 battery that's on the Play. Turbo charge is it's saving grace, and the positives definitely outweigh the negatives, so I'll most likely be grabbing the 32GB with wood back to replace my S4. I also need to replace my Nexus 4 and will choose between the OP2 and Nexus 2015, and possibly the Note 5 or Edge+ but I doubt it. Bloat free, unlocked, unbranded phones with reasonable price tags is what interests me these days.

Aquila likes this.
    08-01-2015 01:30 AM
    Better than 90% sure I'll be getting the Style. I have a Nexus 6 and was hoping the new X would have been the same size as the 14.

How are the evaluations for the battery being made when the phone isn't yet available to the public? ( Yes I've read the threads. They seem to be solid arguments, but I'll be waiting for the reviews to come out regarding the camera and battery life. )
    08-01-2015 08:55 AM
    Better than 90% sure I'll be getting the Style. I have a Nexus 6 and was hoping the new X would have been the same size as the 14.

How are the evaluations for the battery being made when the phone isn't yet available to the public? ( Yes I've read the threads. They seem to be solid arguments, but I'll be waiting for the reviews to come out regarding the camera and battery life. )
    Based on the size and probably compared to the G4 since it uses same processor and battery size.
    08-01-2015 09:08 AM
    I'm 90% I'll preorder one, the value is too great to pass up and it just seems like an awesome phone. I know you consider 3000 mAh to be great, judging from your comments, but we'll have to agree to disagree. 3.5 hours SOT isn't what I consider sufficient, and I would've been much happier if they either decided to go with 1080p on a 5.5" display or used the same 3630 battery that's on the Play. Turbo charge is it's saving grace, and the positives definitely outweigh the negatives, so I'll most likely be grabbing the 32GB with wood back to replace my S4. I also need to replace my Nexus 4 and will choose between the OP2 and Nexus 2015, and possibly the Note 5 or Edge+ but I doubt it. Bloat free, unlocked, unbranded phones with reasonable price tags is what interests me these days.

In the battery thread the G4 was rocking Anandtech's review - and since its the same chip, same battery and moto is already known for getting more battery than the size ought to give, my best guess like others is to be closer to the G4 in battery life. On that front, for most the G4 is easily an all day battery, while smaller devices like the S6 seem to be relying on QC2 for a full day. Although we do have some s6 users in the forums who get very solid life out of their S6s too, so I'm thinking in generalities.

M Dev Nexus 6 Assassin Edition. Gonfaloniere
    Almeuit likes this.
    08-01-2015 09:24 AM
    I'm really considering this when it comes out. Never had a Motorola and currently I'm pretty happy with my note 4, except for the frequent lag and inability to root (Thanks AT&T) .

After finding out no micro SD option for note 5, I've given up on samsung.

I hope the camera would be good on the X.

Hope this hasn't been asked but when is the motorola X pure edition available to purchase?

Posted via the Android Central App with Note 4
    08-01-2015 01:30 PM
    The OP2 looks nice, good price OTD, but the fact that they only guarantee 1 software update, and I am hoping that means to to the next Android release and not incremental updates which would be ok, IF, Android M wasn't just a couple months away and clearly this OP2 will ship with Lollipop only and maybe get an update to M and then nothing.

At least with the Moto X Pure we can get updates conservatively for 2 years given its a direct only device designed to be PURE, no bloat either carrier or Moto. So that is a big plus.

Lastly we have the Nexus(s) and we don't know what they are or will have, but when does the Nexus usually get announced and sold around mid-october so I will hold my Moto X Pure Edition for now and see how the chips go for a few months.
    08-01-2015 01:34 PM
    My problem with the OP2 is the size of the company and the way they sell the phone. I know Motorola is going to be around in 2 years but not so sure about OP2.
    08-01-2015 01:44 PM
    The OP2 looks nice, good price OTD, but the fact that they only guarantee 1 software update, and I am hoping that means to to the next Android release and not incremental updates which would be ok, IF, Android M wasn't just a couple months away and clearly this OP2 will ship with Lollipop only and maybe get an update to M and then nothing.

At least with the Moto X Pure we can get updates conservatively for 2 years given its a direct only device designed to be PURE, no bloat either carrier or Moto. So that is a big plus.

Lastly we have the Nexus(s) and we don't know what they are or will have, but when does the Nexus usually get announced and sold around mid-october so I will hold my Moto X Pure Edition for now and see how the chips go for a few months.
    I've pretty much decided I'll be getting the Moto X Pure or the next Nexus phone, whatever it may be. I still like what Samsung is doing - as long as they can limit the lag a bit more. But these near stock, top of the line devices at half the cost of what Samsung is putting out basically have my money already.
    08-01-2015 02:44 PM
    I've decided that the Moto X Play is the superior device for my needs. Battery life is #1 priority after spending nearly two years constantly hunting for a wall socket with the Nexus 5.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    08-01-2015 03:37 PM
    I don't like big phones but this is my next.

Posted via Android Central App (Moto X)
    08-01-2015 05:21 PM
    I will definitely be getting the Moto X Style. I had both previous versions of the moto x but was really struggling with the battery life so I bought a Galaxy S6 Active. I just can't deal with TouchWiz! It is so slow and laggy that there are times it takes me almost 10 seconds to open apps. I also apparently didn't realize how often I really used Moto voice and now find myself constantly having to reach out and grab my phone when I otherwise would be talking to it. Lastly my Galaxy is not playing nice with my Moto 360. Too many challenges to stay with Samsung. After using the lite version of Android, I wonder if I can ever go back to other heavy skins.

08-01-2015 09:02 PM
    In the battery thread the G4 was rocking Anandtech's review - and since its the same chip, same battery and moto is already known for getting more battery than the size ought to give, my best guess like others is to be closer to the G4 in battery life. On that front, for most the G4 is easily an all day battery, while smaller devices like the S6 seem to be relying on QC2 for a full day. Although we do have some s6 users in the forums who get very solid life out of their S6s too, so I'm thinking in generalities.

M Dev Nexus 6 Assassin Edition. Gonfaloniere
    Where did you hear Moto gets a lot out of their battery? Not trying to be a wise ***, but I've always for the feeling it was the opposite. Case in point, the turbo and Note 4 experience similar SOT. 3000 mAh isn't gonna stop me from buying it, and trust me, I'm not a spec guy and I always reserve judgment until I see real world results, but I am somewhat skeptical. I'm coming from an S4 and Nexus 4, so this will be a monster upgrade, but I definitely would've liked to have seen the same battery as the one in the Play version.

08-01-2015 10:47 PM
    Where did you hear Moto gets a lot out of their battery? Not trying to be a wise ***, but I've always for the feeling it was the opposite. Case in point, the turbo and Note 4 experience similar SOT. 3000 mAh isn't gonna stop me from buying it, and trust me, I'm not a spec guy and I always reserve judgment until I see real world results, but I am somewhat skeptical. I'm coming from an S4 and Nexus 4, so this will be a monster upgrade, but I definitely would've liked to have seen the same battery as the one in the Play version.

I throw the turbo out as a Frankenstein calamity. Some people love them, IMO that's a Verizon phone.

I'm referring to the x 2013 with a tiny battery being the first non phablet to consistently last all day. They did it by smarter software, rather than merely piling on mAh. The 2014 was slightly better, matching the total usage with about 20% more SOT than the 2013. This year they are adding about 30% to the battery capacity. The nexus 6 is very hard to kill, coming in behind the OPO and Note 4, but easily going through every day with ease. The G is also strong in battery, with a friend of mine in Brazil regularly hitting 5-7 hours SOT in a 24 hour period. Obviously YMMV and usage patterns and all that, but between my X '13, X '14, Nexus 6 and my wife's X'13 and G we've never had to worry about battery drama - and with the turbo charger even those with different experiences have an easy remedy.

Moto essentially defines 30% battery life as 8 hours use in the X 2014 - which i find accurate, but even if it were off by 40%, that's still as 14-15 hour charge when most people are only awake 16-18 anyways. In modern devices, a phone can either best 18 hours or it can't, and unless it is consistently passing 50 hours or more, nothing in between is really that different. If Moto once again is consistently hitting 24 hours +, as long as you're near a charger for an hour before bed each day, nothing to worry about. Most charge overnight, so shouldn't be too difficult. I don't think that this device will be a 2 day charge, but I'm confident it will breeze through 1.

08-01-2015 11:55 PM
    I throw the turbo out as a Frankenstein calamity. Some people love them, IMO that's a Verizon phone.

I'm referring to the x 2013 with a tiny battery being the first non phablet to consistently last all day. They did it by smarter software, rather than merely piling on mAh. The 2014 was slightly better, matching the total usage with about 20% more SOT than the 2013. This year they are adding about 30% to the battery capacity. The nexus 6 is very hard to kill, coming in behind the OPO and Note 4, but easily going through every day with ease. The G is also strong in battery, with a friend of mine in Brazil regularly hitting 5-7 hours SOT in a 24 hour period. Obviously YMMV and usage patterns and all that, but between my X '13, X '14, Nexus 6 and my wife's X'13 and G we've never had to worry about battery drama - and with the turbo charger even those with different experiences have an easy remedy.

Moto essentially defines 30% battery life as 8 hours use in the X 2014 - which i find accurate, but even if it were off by 40%, that's still as 14-15 hour charge when most people are only awake 16-18 anyways. In modern devices, a phone can either best 18 hours or it can't, and unless it is consistently passing 50 hours or more, nothing in between is really that different. If Moto once again is consistently hitting 24 hours +, as long as you're near a charger for an hour before bed each day, nothing to worry about. Most charge overnight, so shouldn't be too difficult. I don't think that this device will be a 2 day charge, but I'm confident it will breeze through 1.

thanks for the detailed response, good to know and the more I think about it, the better I feel.

during the week I'm near a wall and with quick charge I'll be fine.

the weekends I'm pretty active and it's not uncommon for me to be away from a charger all day, but I'm usually not on my phone if I'm that active, and there always battery packs.

do they make quick chargers I can use in my car? I've never used one so not sure what to expect.

08-02-2015 12:13 AM
    thanks for the detailed response, good to know and the more I think about it, the better I feel.

during the week I'm near a wall and with quick charge I'll be fine.

the weekends I'm pretty active and it's not uncommon for me to be away from a charger all day, but I'm usually not on my phone if I'm that active, and there always battery packs.

do they make quick chargers I can use in my car? I've never used one so not sure what to expect.

Yes, I have two that use 2.0. Aukey is my favorite of those. Also have an anker 10k mAh portable that does 2.0.

08-02-2015 12:27 AM
96 1234