Will you be getting the Moto X Style (aka Pure Edition)?

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
Re: Will you be getting the Moto X Style?

The OP2 looks nice, good price OTD, but the fact that they only guarantee 1 software update, and I am hoping that means to to the next Android release and not incremental updates which would be ok, IF, Android M wasn't just a couple months away and clearly this OP2 will ship with Lollipop only and maybe get an update to M and then nothing.

At least with the Moto X Pure we can get updates conservatively for 2 years given its a direct only device designed to be PURE, no bloat either carrier or Moto. So that is a big plus.

Lastly we have the Nexus(s) and we don't know what they are or will have, but when does the Nexus usually get announced and sold around mid-october so I will hold my Moto X Pure Edition for now and see how the chips go for a few months.

travaz

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site

My problem with the OP2 is the size of the company and the way they sell the phone. I know Motorola is going to be around in 2 years but not so sure about OP2.

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site

The OP2 looks nice, good price OTD, but the fact that they only guarantee 1 software update, and I am hoping that means to to the next Android release and not incremental updates which would be ok, IF, Android M wasn't just a couple months away and clearly this OP2 will ship with Lollipop only and maybe get an update to M and then nothing.

At least with the Moto X Pure we can get updates conservatively for 2 years given its a direct only device designed to be PURE, no bloat either carrier or Moto. So that is a big plus.

Lastly we have the Nexus(s) and we don't know what they are or will have, but when does the Nexus usually get announced and sold around mid-october so I will hold my Moto X Pure Edition for now and see how the chips go for a few months.
I've pretty much decided I'll be getting the Moto X Pure or the next Nexus phone, whatever it may be. I still like what Samsung is doing - as long as they can limit the lag a bit more. But these near stock, top of the line devices at half the cost of what Samsung is putting out basically have my money already.

Cakefish

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site

I've decided that the Moto X Play is the superior device for my needs. Battery life is #1 priority after spending nearly two years constantly hunting for a wall socket with the Nexus 5.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

I don't like big phones but this is my next.

Posted via Android Central App (Moto X)

hounddogdaddy

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site

I will definitely be getting the Moto X Style. I had both previous versions of the moto x but was really struggling with the battery life so I bought a Galaxy S6 Active. I just can't deal with TouchWiz! It is so slow and laggy that there are times it takes me almost 10 seconds to open apps. I also apparently didn't realize how often I really used Moto voice and now find myself constantly having to reach out and grab my phone when I otherwise would be talking to it. Lastly my Galaxy is not playing nice with my Moto 360. Too many challenges to stay with Samsung. After using the lite version of Android, I wonder if I can ever go back to other heavy skins.

Posted via the Android Central App

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site

In the battery thread the G4 was rocking Anandtech's review - and since its the same chip, same battery and moto is already known for getting more battery than the size ought to give, my best guess like others is to be closer to the G4 in battery life. On that front, for most the G4 is easily an all day battery, while smaller devices like the S6 seem to be relying on QC2 for a full day. Although we do have some s6 users in the forums who get very solid life out of their S6s too, so I'm thinking in generalities.

M Dev Nexus 6 Assassin Edition. Gonfaloniere

Where did you hear Moto gets a lot out of their battery? Not trying to be a wise ***, but I've always for the feeling it was the opposite. Case in point, the turbo and Note 4 experience similar SOT. 3000 mAh isn't gonna stop me from buying it, and trust me, I'm not a spec guy and I always reserve judgment until I see real world results, but I am somewhat skeptical. I'm coming from an S4 and Nexus 4, so this will be a monster upgrade, but I definitely would've liked to have seen the same battery as the one in the Play version.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

Where did you hear Moto gets a lot out of their battery? Not trying to be a wise ***, but I've always for the feeling it was the opposite. Case in point, the turbo and Note 4 experience similar SOT. 3000 mAh isn't gonna stop me from buying it, and trust me, I'm not a spec guy and I always reserve judgment until I see real world results, but I am somewhat skeptical. I'm coming from an S4 and Nexus 4, so this will be a monster upgrade, but I definitely would've liked to have seen the same battery as the one in the Play version.

I throw the turbo out as a Frankenstein calamity. Some people love them, IMO that's a Verizon phone.

I'm referring to the x 2013 with a tiny battery being the first non phablet to consistently last all day. They did it by smarter software, rather than merely piling on mAh. The 2014 was slightly better, matching the total usage with about 20% more SOT than the 2013. This year they are adding about 30% to the battery capacity. The nexus 6 is very hard to kill, coming in behind the OPO and Note 4, but easily going through every day with ease. The G is also strong in battery, with a friend of mine in Brazil regularly hitting 5-7 hours SOT in a 24 hour period. Obviously YMMV and usage patterns and all that, but between my X '13, X '14, Nexus 6 and my wife's X'13 and G we've never had to worry about battery drama - and with the turbo charger even those with different experiences have an easy remedy.

Moto essentially defines 30% battery life as 8 hours use in the X 2014 - which i find accurate, but even if it were off by 40%, that's still as 14-15 hour charge when most people are only awake 16-18 anyways. In modern devices, a phone can either best 18 hours or it can't, and unless it is consistently passing 50 hours or more, nothing in between is really that different. If Moto once again is consistently hitting 24 hours +, as long as you're near a charger for an hour before bed each day, nothing to worry about. Most charge overnight, so shouldn't be too difficult. I don't think that this device will be a 2 day charge, but I'm confident it will breeze through 1.

via Shield Tablet. Android Central Moderator.

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site

I throw the turbo out as a Frankenstein calamity. Some people love them, IMO that's a Verizon phone.

I'm referring to the x 2013 with a tiny battery being the first non phablet to consistently last all day. They did it by smarter software, rather than merely piling on mAh. The 2014 was slightly better, matching the total usage with about 20% more SOT than the 2013. This year they are adding about 30% to the battery capacity. The nexus 6 is very hard to kill, coming in behind the OPO and Note 4, but easily going through every day with ease. The G is also strong in battery, with a friend of mine in Brazil regularly hitting 5-7 hours SOT in a 24 hour period. Obviously YMMV and usage patterns and all that, but between my X '13, X '14, Nexus 6 and my wife's X'13 and G we've never had to worry about battery drama - and with the turbo charger even those with different experiences have an easy remedy.

Moto essentially defines 30% battery life as 8 hours use in the X 2014 - which i find accurate, but even if it were off by 40%, that's still as 14-15 hour charge when most people are only awake 16-18 anyways. In modern devices, a phone can either best 18 hours or it can't, and unless it is consistently passing 50 hours or more, nothing in between is really that different. If Moto once again is consistently hitting 24 hours +, as long as you're near a charger for an hour before bed each day, nothing to worry about. Most charge overnight, so shouldn't be too difficult. I don't think that this device will be a 2 day charge, but I'm confident it will breeze through 1.

thanks for the detailed response, good to know and the more I think about it, the better I feel.

during the week I'm near a wall and with quick charge I'll be fine.

the weekends I'm pretty active and it's not uncommon for me to be away from a charger all day, but I'm usually not on my phone if I'm that active, and there always battery packs.

do they make quick chargers I can use in my car? I've never used one so not sure what to expect.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

thanks for the detailed response, good to know and the more I think about it, the better I feel.

during the week I'm near a wall and with quick charge I'll be fine.

the weekends I'm pretty active and it's not uncommon for me to be away from a charger all day, but I'm usually not on my phone if I'm that active, and there always battery packs.

do they make quick chargers I can use in my car? I've never used one so not sure what to expect.

Yes, I have two that use 2.0. Aukey is my favorite of those. Also have an anker 10k mAh portable that does 2.0.

mchi5

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site

I went to Motorola. Com and priced my note 4, and they'll pay $250 for trade in. Not bad if I trade it in for the Moto X pure edition. If it's $400, I'd only spend $150 for the phone! . Very tempting

Posted via the Android Central App with Note 4

Chex313

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site

I have not paid any attention to USB-C for phones...Since I prefer no cable at all or a cable that matches all my other charges and ports.

So my question is why would anyone want it in a phone? Its not speced any higher than 3.0(Not on phones)...It isn't smaller and its other end is most likely going to be USB.2.0...So why would anyone want this?
(I am not being a smart ***...I really am interested in what I am missing...Even on the new macbook it's not faster than 3.0..).

As far as battery, it's hard to believe that everyone isn't either in a car for a half hour a day(Which would top off a Moto x), or near a receptacle for a half hour...or could just top it off with a battery pack. Even 15 min would give you the equivalent of a 4000mA battery.

I would buy one these just on the basis of Lenovo not letting the carriers change the specs. Not an easy task:cool:

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
I have not paid any attention to USB-C for phones...Since I prefer no cable at all or a cable that matches all my other charges and ports.

So my question is why would anyone want it in a phone? Its not speced any higher than 3.0(Not on phones)...It isn't smaller and its other end is most likely going to be USB.2.0...So why would anyone want this?
(I am not being a smart ***...I really am interested in what I am missing...Even on the new macbook it's not faster than 3.0..).

As far as battery, it's hard to believe that everyone isn't either in a car for a half hour a day(Which would top off a Moto x), or near a receptacle for a half hour...or could just top it off with a battery pack. Even 15 min would give you the equivalent of a 4000mA battery.

I would buy one these just on the basis of Lenovo not letting the carriers change the specs. Not an easy task:cool:

the more I think about it the more I agree with quick charge. I never had it so my mentality will change once I do I'm sure. that said, it's not uncommon for me to be away from a charger all day on the weekends, and having to carry around a battery pack might not be something I want to do.

as far as USB-C, it's more to future proof it then anything else since I'll keep this phone probably for 30-36 months. I love the idea of one universal cable for audio, video and data transfer.

Woosh

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site

I don't know....Apple did it and now apparently everyone wants it? I agree with you that I'd rather just have wireless charging than a new cable. But I've had the OPO and it's a pita to get properly plugged in when it's dark. So I would like another way....I just think wireless would have been a better "future" to head to.

the more I think about it the more I agree with quick charge. I never had it so my mentality will change once I do I'm sure. that said, it's not uncommon for me to be away from a charger all day on the weekends, and having to carry around a battery pack might not be something I want to do.

as far as USB-C, it's more to future proof it then anything else since I'll keep this phone probably for 30-36 months. I love the idea of one universal cable for audio, video and data transfer.

It might be future proofing....But right now my phone, camera, headphones, BT remote, watch, and possibly more all run with the old wire. So it'd take a while for all of these things to adapt to a new way. So right now I think the regular way is more future proof since all these things probably won't be replaced and changed to USB C overnight.

Still since it has no wireless charging it would have been nice to have an easier way to plug in.

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site

I don't know....Apple did it and now apparently everyone wants it? I agree with you that I'd rather just have wireless charging than a new cable. But I've had the OPO and it's a pita to get properly plugged in when it's dark. So I would like another way....I just think wireless would have been a better "future" to head to.

It might be future proofing....But right now my phone, camera, headphones, BT remote, watch, and possibly more all run with the old wire. So it'd take a while for all of these things to adapt to a new way. So right now I think the regular way is more future proof since all these things probably won't be replaced and changed to USB C overnight.

Still since it has no wireless charging it would have been nice to have an easier way to plug in.

yeah I'm not at all bummed out over wireless charging. with quick charge I don't see anytime I'd use it. I do like the idea of not having to wear out my USB port, which had happened to my S4 twice, but taking the extra 3 seconds to just plug it in isn't much of a hassle for me.

Ara Wagoner

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site

Since it's reversible, it'll be easier to plug in in the dark, such as getting ready for bed, and since the cable could be used from everything from charging a bluetooth headset to running power and data for a Chromebook/laptop, USB-would allow for great cable consolidation. I could leave the house with one cable instead of three, not that I ever leave the house for the day with fewer than two chargers and cables.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

I'm glad it's not USB C. No need to change my setups at home and work.

Posted via Android Central App (Moto X)

bevcraw

Net Mod Emeritus
Dec 8, 2010
Visit site

This phone may be a little too big for my hand. (My Moto X 2014 is a hair too wide for me.) I will probably wait until I can handle one before I make a decision.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site

I need to see how battery life pans out first. I would get the 64GB version for Verizon network. If really $500, seems too good to pass up if a great device :)

The media says that each model is a $50 bump, but seems the 64GB model would be $550 rather than $500.

redhawk24

May 17, 2011
Visit site

I really want this phone. But, I'm on T-Mobile, and I have family that live in areas where my only way of using the phone would be wifi calling. And, given they aren't selling the phone, I'll be shocked if I can use it before M at the absolute earliest.