Will you be getting the Moto X Style (aka Pure Edition)?

Xenocidal

Aug 3, 2011
Visit site
Re: Will you be getting the Moto X Style?

Most likely, depends on when the new Nexus phone(s) are announced. I'd have a hard time living without Active Display. the 5.7 screen scares me a little (currently on Moto X 2013), but the battery doesn't bother me at all since I can turbo charge as needed at work.

It's funny, my biggest concern has become that it won't fit in the Fallout 4 Pip-Boy (it definitely won't), hahaha. Plan on just throwing my 2013 Moto X in that near permanently instead. (If I ever actually use it when playing...)

Shepx13

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site

Doubt it. Battery doesn't seem like it will be any better than my 2014. If they would commit to supporting the CameraApi2, I would maybe be willing to let that (and the other complaints I have) slide, and try it out. But they still aren't supporting it on the 2014, so I doubt it will change.

anon(464338)

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
Nope. I'm one of those 2013'rs who are disappointed in the size. Like one handed use phones , not a small tablet.

Posted via the Android Central App

russel5150

Jul 15, 2012
Visit site

Im more of a droid guy, but look at the new moto x to get an idea of new specs and such.

The problem i have is in my opinion any screen over 5.2 inches should have at least a 3300mah battery. My note 4 got about the same battery life as my note 3, while the battery was a little bigger the quad hd screen used a lot more than the 1080. My droid turbo has a 3900mah battery and while i can usually get between 4 and 5 hours of on screen time i still charge it every time i work the next day just to start the work day with a full battery. On my days off getting two days isn't that hard because i play on my tablet more when im home.

Just my opinion but the added bump in the new moto x will be offset by the screen, so it will probably be about the same as the 2014 x. I could be wrong.

DC Wuff

Nov 26, 2009
Visit site

What I posted on the pros and cons thread:

For me, the Moto X Style is the closest thing to a must-buy that I've ever seen.

I jumped to a Nexus 6 after the 5.0 update borked my 2014 Moto X. I'm fine with the Nexus 6's size for usage purposes, but it's sometimes a little difficult to pocket (I don't wear skinny jeans, but some of my pants and shorts have shallower pockets than can comfortably accommodate that giant phone). And I REEEAAALLY miss the Moto X features, especially Moto Display/Active Notifications as compared to Ambient Display. So a slightly thinner/smaller Nexus 6 with the Moto features is EXACTLY what I want, especially now that Moto has regained my confidence by releasing a home-run 5.1 update to the 2014 X, which I've now given to my wife to get her off of her god-forsaken iPhone 5S. After I get the Style, I'll keep the Nexus 6 as a backup and for playing around with Android M, but I'm in no rush to get M on the Style.

All that being said, I would have liked to see OIS and/or USB-C and/or a fingerprint scanner and/or a slightly bigger battery and/or an AMOLED screen (mainly for viewing in landscape with polarized sunglasses), and I would have been OK with them keeping the screen at about 5.5", but none of those is a deal-breaker for me -- especially at the $399 price point.

Not even the LG Nexus -- regardless of what it brings to the table -- is going to be able to sway me from this phone, I don't think.

Cakefish

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site

I'm resenting the fact that Motorola decided not to release the Play edition in the US because it consequently means that there has been much less media coverage about that device. Makes it hard to compare the two to decide which one I want to buy.

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site

It's honestly a toss up for me between this, OP2, and the next Nexus - I doubt I'll want anything to do with the Note 5 or edge+. I'm a little worried about the battery life and I wish it had OIS in the camera. I don't care about USB-C right now, as it'll still be a little while before it's the industry standard. Either way, I want to keep it on the less expensive side, so these will probably be my options - and I really like the stock-ish experience as I'll be coming from a Nexus 6.

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
It's honestly a toss up for me between this, OP2, and the next Nexus - I doubt I'll want anything to do with the Note 5 or edge+. I'm a little worried about the battery life and I wish it had OIS in the camera. I don't care about USB-C right now, as it'll still be a little while before it's the industry standard. Either way, I want to keep it on the less expensive side, so these will probably be my options - and I really like the stock-ish experience as I'll be coming from a Nexus 6.

^^this^^ chances are I'll snag 2 of the 3 to replace my Nexus 4 and S4.

reasonably priced, near stock, unbranded, bloat free phones that have most attributes I'm looking for, that'll last me 24-36 months is how I plan to do business in the foreseeable future.

Last edited:

KachowPow

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site

I'm really watching this device, I think I'm gonna pass on the OP2 Oxygen OS is junk, it does have some good features and price points. The Moto X Style/Pure is definitely on the watch list, but I think at this point if the next Nexus can push out wireless charging, fingerprint scanner, and a great camera, micro sd, dual sim (something you would expect from a Chinese manufacturer) would be great, may have to dump my dual sim S6.

jackmoney55

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site

I really would love to have this phone, it has everything I really want, plus almost pure google experience, I'm on Tmobile. Tmobile has wifi calling capability, I've had verizon and sprint previously and neither service had wifi calling, wifi calling is great when you are in the basement of a building or hotel where there is no service. Will this phone have wifi calling capability? I hope so, because that may be a deal breaker for me!

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

I was so excited for the new Moto X. My only requirements were 1) improved camera, 2) solid battery life and 3) stock/near stock.

Can somebody please explain to me what is so complicated with this simple request? Now that I've had a few hours to digest the news, I'm pretty upset with 3000 mAh, specifically on a 5.7" device.

An unlocked, pure smartphone for $399 is amazing. Plus it has front facing speakers, that gorgeous display, and SD slot. But the one thing I wanted, the reason I didn't get the S6 Edge, and have been patiently waiting it out on my S4, was for a phone that had stock android and could last me from the time I woke up, to the time I went to bed, without having to worry about battery life all day.

Unfortunately, this simple, yet elusive request still hasn't been resolved, and at this point, I'm realizing compromises will need to be made ... battery life won't be one of them though!!

Honestly it looks like they nailed all of your requirements and them some.

via Shield Tablet. Android Central Moderator.

Woosh

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site

I really would love to have this phone, it has everything I really want, plus almost pure google experience, I'm on Tmobile. Tmobile has wifi calling capability, I've had verizon and sprint previously and neither service had wifi calling, wifi calling is great when you are in the basement of a building or hotel where there is no service. Will this phone have wifi calling capability? I hope so, because that may be a deal breaker for me!

Through hangouts yes....Through T-Mo nope.

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Honestly it looks like they nailed all of your requirements and them some.

via Shield Tablet. Android Central Moderator.

I'm 90% I'll preorder one, the value is too great to pass up and it just seems like an awesome phone. I know you consider 3000 mAh to be great, judging from your comments, but we'll have to agree to disagree. 3.5 hours SOT isn't what I consider sufficient, and I would've been much happier if they either decided to go with 1080p on a 5.5" display or used the same 3630 battery that's on the Play. Turbo charge is it's saving grace, and the positives definitely outweigh the negatives, so I'll most likely be grabbing the 32GB with wood back to replace my S4. I also need to replace my Nexus 4 and will choose between the OP2 and Nexus 2015, and possibly the Note 5 or Edge+ but I doubt it. Bloat free, unlocked, unbranded phones with reasonable price tags is what interests me these days.

isdaako

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site

Better than 90% sure I'll be getting the Style. I have a Nexus 6 and was hoping the new X would have been the same size as the 14.

How are the evaluations for the battery being made when the phone isn't yet available to the public? ( Yes I've read the threads. They seem to be solid arguments, but I'll be waiting for the reviews to come out regarding the camera and battery life. )

Woosh

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site

Better than 90% sure I'll be getting the Style. I have a Nexus 6 and was hoping the new X would have been the same size as the 14.

How are the evaluations for the battery being made when the phone isn't yet available to the public? ( Yes I've read the threads. They seem to be solid arguments, but I'll be waiting for the reviews to come out regarding the camera and battery life. )

Based on the size and probably compared to the G4 since it uses same processor and battery size.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

I'm 90% I'll preorder one, the value is too great to pass up and it just seems like an awesome phone. I know you consider 3000 mAh to be great, judging from your comments, but we'll have to agree to disagree. 3.5 hours SOT isn't what I consider sufficient, and I would've been much happier if they either decided to go with 1080p on a 5.5" display or used the same 3630 battery that's on the Play. Turbo charge is it's saving grace, and the positives definitely outweigh the negatives, so I'll most likely be grabbing the 32GB with wood back to replace my S4. I also need to replace my Nexus 4 and will choose between the OP2 and Nexus 2015, and possibly the Note 5 or Edge+ but I doubt it. Bloat free, unlocked, unbranded phones with reasonable price tags is what interests me these days.

In the battery thread the G4 was rocking Anandtech's review - and since its the same chip, same battery and moto is already known for getting more battery than the size ought to give, my best guess like others is to be closer to the G4 in battery life. On that front, for most the G4 is easily an all day battery, while smaller devices like the S6 seem to be relying on QC2 for a full day. Although we do have some s6 users in the forums who get very solid life out of their S6s too, so I'm thinking in generalities.

M Dev Nexus 6 Assassin Edition. Gonfaloniere

mchi5

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
I'm really considering this when it comes out. Never had a Motorola and currently I'm pretty happy with my note 4, except for the frequent lag and inability to root (Thanks AT&T) .

After finding out no micro SD option for note 5, I've given up on samsung.

I hope the camera would be good on the X.

Hope this hasn't been asked but when is the motorola X pure edition available to purchase?

Posted via the Android Central App with Note 4