Moto X Style So, how do we get T-Mobile to carry it?

npaladin-2000

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Self explanatory I think...that's the only way it's going to get WiFi Calling support, and much as I'm tempted to try to live without it, I live at the distant intersection of two cell towers, both of which only barely make it into my place. I NEED WiFi calling.

landale

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
T-Mobile hasn't carried a Motorola phone in their store (aside from the Nexus 6) in several years so it is highly unlikely, especially since Motorola is pushing this phone as a direct order, carrier free phone.

If you want to complain about WiFi calling complain to Google as there is no reason they can't include it as part of their stock OS like Apple does with iOS. I think a lot of people had hoped since the Nexus 6 got WiFi calling it would eventually be part of stock Android but that sadly hasn't happened yet.

npaladin-2000

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
T-Mobile hasn't carried a Motorola phone in their store (aside from the Nexus 6) in several years so it is highly unlikely, especially since Motorola is pushing this phone as a direct order, carrier free phone.

If you want to complain about WiFi calling complain to Google as there is no reason they can't include it as part of their stock OS like Apple does with iOS. I think a lot of people had hoped since the Nexus 6 got WiFi calling it would eventually be part of stock Android but that sadly hasn't happened yet.

Some people think it IS part of stock...wishful thinking. Anyway, didn't T-Mo carry the Moto G for a while? I seem to remember seeing it there. But if not, oh well. There's always the Nexus 6 (need to get into a store and try one on for fit).

Woosh

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Self explanatory I think...that's the only way it's going to get WiFi Calling support, and much as I'm tempted to try to live without it, I live at the distant intersection of two cell towers, both of which only barely make it into my place. I NEED WiFi calling.

John Legere(CEO of T-Mobile in case you didn't know)is pretty good about listening and possibly fixing things wrong. I suggest maybe following him in twitter/periscope and unintrussively nagging him to open up the app to phones outside of T-Mobile pipelines. Now I'm sure they make a ton of money with the Jump program and all the little extras like stuff they get by selling their own phones so idk if it'll work or not but going to Legere would be the most effective way to try to get it done.

I'd suggest more of having them open up the WiFi calling rather than them carrying the phone. It would possibly be easier to do since I'm sure these companies don't wanna buy a phone that may or may not sell and since T-Mo hasn't really carried the Moto X since launch I'm guessing they've run the numbers and have no reason to carry it.

Have you thought about calling T-Mo to cancel and telling them it's because of your home service? Usually they'll send you a signal booster for free. Iirc they have 2 diff kinds and you'll want the non Asus WiFi router version which I believe only works through WiFi calling.

I'm fairly sure that T-Mo WiFi calling is proprietary to T-Mo so a phone maker can't just drop it on any phone they want. If that was the case we'd see it on more phones right now. It's not even hackable anymore to be installed through xda or whatever....So it's pretty locked down AFAIK.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Do you happen to get any signal outside your house?

npaladin-2000

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Do you happen to get any signal outside your house?

Yep, lots. Can't get through the walls all that well. And it's a condo, so no drilling.

To be honest, all the other carriers are on the same towers and have the same problem. The WiFi calling has turned into the killer must-have feature for me.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Yep, lots. Can't get through the walls all that well. And it's a condo, so no drilling.

To be honest, all the other carriers are on the same towers and have the same problem. The WiFi calling has turned into the killer must-have feature for me.

I would say it would be easier (at least in your case) to nab one of these then. I have my own house and still didn't want to do any drilling so I went this route. This way I do not have to rely on WiFi calling devices anymore.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/t-mobile/552803-t-mobile-cel-fi-4g-lte-signal-booster.html

Ed Briggs

May 14, 2013
Visit site

TMo is famous for bad signals in buildings. I tried Straight Talk on tmo's towers, and could only get 1 bar at best inside my house. When I stepped outside, it jumped to 3-4 bars. I heard that the frequency they use isn't good at penetrating walls. I won't be using them ever again. ATT at my house is just fine.

Have you considered the Nexus 6? You can get wifi calling and it will be a good relevant phone for some time to come. Or maybe the nexus 2015 will have wifi support.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
TMo is famous for bad signals in buildings. I tried Straight Talk on tmo's towers, and could only get 1 bar at best inside my house. When I stepped outside, it jumped to 3-4 bars. I heard that the frequency they use isn't good at penetrating walls. I won't be using them ever again. ATT at my house is just fine.

True -- the booster may help him though. I only get a weak signal at my house. Everywhere else around town I am fine so I take that trade off for cheap service / unlimited data ($50 a month).

Cakefish

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site
WiFi calling? Don't the US carriers offer apps in the Play Store for that? Our phone networks here in the UK do, which can be used on unlocked off-contract phones.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I'm one of the people who think that at least, if it is not already in stock, it will be with M. It's definitely in L builds on factory images.

M Dev Nexus 6 Assassin Edition. Gonfaloniere

npaladin-2000

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site

Have you considered the Nexus 6? You can get wifi calling and it will be a good relevant phone for some time to come. Or maybe the nexus 2015 will have wifi support.

Everyone else gets the same bad signal in here, even AT&T and Verizon. I like T-Mobile's WiFi Calling, provided I can use a Tasker plugin to turn it on and off, since It doesn't work at work (internet gets routed through CA, horrid latency). Samsungs don't let you do that...

I'm contemplating the Nexus 6, it's got everything I want, near-stock, WiFI calling, AMOLED, front stereo speakers, Qi charging. I'm just worried about the size, a 5.5 inch LG G3 was really the edge of my comfort zone, but I'll probably head to Bestbuy this weekend and see if they have one laying around I can put hands on.

unclerobmac

Jul 26, 2014
Visit site
I just got the T-Mobile cellspot wifi for NOTHING from T-mobile. They no longer carry in the stores and don't charge the $25 fee. Sent to me in two days free because I went to store to get router. Its a very good dual band, three antennae ASUS router. Upgraded my old router for nothing. Wifi calling is great as I live in basement apartment. Switched many of my devices to 5 Ghz band just fine. Reduced interference greatly as I'm surrounded by many routers on 2.5 ghz CH. 1, 6, 11. Roku streaming works fast and no lag at all. If you use T-mobile, get it.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I just got the T-Mobile cellspot wifi for NOTHING from T-mobile. They no longer carry in the stores and don't charge the $25 fee. Sent to me in two days free because I went to store to get router. Its a very good dual band, three antennae ASUS router. Upgraded my old router for nothing. Wifi calling is great as I live in basement apartment. Switched many of my devices to 5 Ghz band just fine. Reduced interference greatly as I'm surrounded by many routers on 2.5 ghz CH. 1, 6, 11. Roku streaming works fast and no lag at all. If you use T-mobile, get it.

Oh yeah the router is awesome (I have the actual version of the router -- non T-Mobile) but that won't help in this situation. The phone itself won't support wifi calling so it won't help him.

He would need to get the booster that I linked earlier to help.

npaladin-2000

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Oh yeah the router is awesome (I have the actual version of the router -- non T-Mobile) but that won't help in this situation. The phone itself won't support wifi calling so it won't help him.

He would need to get the booster that I linked earlier to help.

Exactly...incidentally, I have that Asus router too, awesome device. But yeah, I ended up caving on the cellspot, they're shipping it now.

I'm still going to give the Nexus 6 a look though. If I can deal with the size and the lack of USB-OTG it might be the way to go. Plus it's had time to become stable (you can never buy Nexus devices when they first come out, they're essentially running beta software). Since switching to WiFi Calling on the Nexus 6 doesn't disable the cellular radio, having the CellFi booster will at the very least increase battery life by a lot.

stanleywinthrop

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
IMO, we will most likely not see the X carried by T Mobile. I believe its because the two companies are headed in different directions. Motorola wants to cut the middleman carrier out and sell phones direct to customers. Legare is pushing T Mobile towards a business model in which T Mobile is a phone retailer that happens to provide cell service to the phones it sells. Those two business models are diametrically opposed.

I know this opinion will be unpoplular to the T Mobile fans, but that's the lay of the land. Legare has been wildly creative at finding ways to lock customers into long term deals without "contracts". Payment plans and leases are examples. By baking Wifi calling into firmware as opposed to a standalone app, Legare is providing incentive to buy phones directly from him. He desperately wants his customers to buy phones from T Mobile because that's where his true profits are. Please don't take this a criticism of Legare. He's doing what he thinks is right for T Mobile and I for one don't blame him.. A lot of his initiatives are good for T Mobile AND the customer, but not all. And he's doing a helluva job based on the latest earnings. Legare doesn't like you buying directly from Motorola because its costing him profit. Google is to big and strong for Legare to ignore the Nexus line. Lenovo/Motorola doesn't yet have that kind of moxie.

Motorola is fighting that business model with the Pure. Will it succeed? Time will tell. Unless Lenovo is prepared to invest heavily in Motorola (particularly marketing an area where Google didn't seem to give a [language removed by mod]) Motorola is fighting an uphill battle.

Last edited by a moderator:

Woosh

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
IMO, we will most likely not see the X carried by T Mobile. I believe its because the two companies are headed in different directions. Motorola wants to cut the middleman carrier out and sell phones direct to customers. Legare is pushing T Mobile towards a business model in which T Mobile is a phone retailer that happens to provide cell service to the phones it sells. Those two business models are diametrically opposed.

I know this opinion will be unpoplular to the T Mobile fans, but that's the lay of the land. Legare has been wildly creative at finding ways to lock customers into long term deals without "contracts". Payment plans and leases are examples. By baking Wifi calling into firmware as opposed to a standalone app, Legare is providing incentive to buy phones directly from him. He desperately wants his customers to buy phones from T Mobile because that's where his true profits are. Please don't take this a criticism of Legare. He's doing what he thinks is right for T Mobile and I for one don't blame him.. A lot of his initiatives are good for T Mobile AND the customer, but not all. And he's doing a helluva job based on the latest earnings. Legare doesn't like you buying directly from Motorola because its costing him profit. Google is to big and strong for Legare to ignore the Nexus line. Lenovo/Motorola doesn't yet have that kind of moxie.

Motorola is fighting that business model with the Pure. Will it succeed? Time will tell. Unless Lenovo is prepared to invest heavily in Motorola (particularly marketing an area where Google didn't seem to give a [language removed by mod]) Motorola is fighting an uphill battle.

I'm a fan of what Legere has done to change the wireless system in America. But I don't think what you said should be unpopular with T-Mo fans(Myself included). He's done exactly what you said and created clever ways to implement contracts without customers knowing they are in contracts.

Idk about "desperately wants his customers to buy from him".....But I'm sure he'd rather they buy from him. I just don't think he cares where you get the phone as long as it's connected to T-Mo. He hasn't removed any of the options for us BYOD ppl and we can still fully take advantage of everything else T-Mo has to offer. I don't know why or if WiFI calling can or will be opened up in the future.

As for "leasing" a phone....it's purely win win for both the company and the consumer. While I personally don't want to take advantage of it, you'll have ppl who want to switch phones often and then T-Mo gets that phone back to resell to another person later. It's not a bad program for certain consumers. I'm just not one of them. Not to mention I hate that they are favoring the iPhone over Android phones in the system.

He's very clever trickster....but a smart consumer can also take advantages of the great changes that he's made and not fall for the new tricks.

Where Moto might find a problem with carriers is the fact that it can be used everywhere. The carriers don't want to compete on price as much, so if someone is buying a phone for $500 that works specifically on ATT, then ATT knows that customer will use that POS on ATT until it self destructs in their pocket. They don't want you to have the ability to shop around plans and go wherever you want whenever you want.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Xd3dp1gX