Moto X Style: Potential Battery life?

bkircher

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
Hey there to all

Is it just me or am I the only one disappointed by the size of the battery Moto decided to put in the new X? How do we all think it will compare to the Nexus battery life, do we think it will be better or worse or about the same?? Im really on the fence about this new X. I like the size of it, I love the Moto software, I like the fact that the camera will potentially be good this time, I like all the options for it, really like the SD slot, just dont know about the battery life. We wont know until reviewers get their hands on it I would assume in the next few weeks to months, but what do we all think this phone will produce in terms of battery life? With Android M right around the corner, that might help with it as well... Who knows.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Re: Potential Battery life - Moto X Style

As you said we won't really know till reviewers get it. I assume it will be decent and the quick charge helps but as for actual numbers it will be hard to judge.

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site

I would expect it to be pretty indistinguishable from the Nexus 6. So 3.5 hours of screen on time give or take given my experience.

bkircher

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site

I can't even get close to that on a single charge with my Nexus before having to charge it. I'm also realllllly hoping that the radios will be better in this phone than the Nexus. I get really bad signal reception with my Nexus now.

Last edited by a moderator:

anon(5506951)

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site

I would expect it to be pretty indistinguishable from the Nexus 6. So 3.5 hours of screen on time give or take given my experience.

I said exactly this yesterday. The Style is just a slightly smaller Nexus 6, with G4 internals, and Moto's features. I realistically see no more than 3.5 hours SOT with light to moderate usage, especially since Moto has the always listening feature. That in itself will kill the battery, along with that non-AMOLED screen pushing notifications.

Posted via the Android Central App

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

I'm VERY happy with the battery size in the X. Coming from the relatively small battery in the 2014, which could be counted on for a full day, but not an extremely busy day, to this much of an upgrade is pretty great. Moto is already famous for getting more out of a battery than they seemingly ought to on paper. I'd be flat out shocked if they took a step back on battery life. We should remember to measure battery life in time, not battery capacity in mAh. The former matters, the latter is more or less meaningless - as Moto and HTC have proven with opposing directional methods.

M Dev Nexus 6 Assassin Edition. Gonfaloniere

russel5150

Jul 15, 2012
Visit site
I think the increase in battery size will be offset by the bigger and quadhd screen, unless that style of screen uses less than the amoled does.

If i had to guess i would predict that the on screen time will be about the same as the 2014 moto x.

anon(5506951)

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site

I think the increase in battery size will be offset by the bigger and quadhd screen, unless that style of screen uses less than the amoled does.

If i had to guess i would predict that the on screen time will be about the same as the 2014 moto x.

AMOLED screens are more energy efficient, because they only use the pixels needed to illuminate the screen, especially when using dark or black backgrounds. The screen on the Moto X Style has pixels that will always be on, because of the backlight. It's sure to have an effect on the battery, with Moto's active notifications.

russel5150

Jul 15, 2012
Visit site

That's a shame because i love the moto display, even over the lollipop option.

I guess the question is how much more power will it use.

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
That's a shame because i love the moto display, even over the lollipop option.

I guess the question is how much more power will it use.

that's the million dollar question .... I just wish they used the same 3620 as the Play, which would've alleviated any concerns.

anon(5506951)

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site

that's the million dollar question .... I just wish they used the same 3620 as the Play, which would've alleviated any concerns.

*3,630 mAh, but who's counting, right? Motorola obviously can't, lol. Smh...

globster2000

Aug 22, 2013
Visit site

Not to push apple fanboy comments, i myself have been a moto x fan since gen 1, but i do think that their phones has always had screen notifications without too much of a problem of screen life. I cant say that we will get more than 3 hours of screen light, but perhaps idea of amoled consuming less power is a smaller margin than it really is.... who knows... but im sure that if it doesnt live up to the hype then we can return it. Afterall, im more curious about the camera because they never had gotten that right in the past

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site

I'm sure it will be fine. Better than last year (which despite popular belief, was also perfectly fine). We will have to wait on reviews, but it is a pretty big battery in a pretty big phone. I am sure standby time will be fantastic. SOT is the only aspect that may be a little disappointing.

Sent from my XT1096

sprocket2107

Sep 24, 2010
Visit site

I think we need to wait until we actually have the device and use it to make any judgments. The original Moto X was, as some people would say, an under-spec'd device yet I consistently saw almost 2 days of battery life with 5-6 hours of screen on time. Also, some people have better luck with phones. I have an iPhone 6+ currently and have phenomenal battery life. Almost as good as when I had the X. Yet some people can barely get through the day. Just because it's the same model doesn't mean everything will run the same for everyone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site

I think we need to wait until we actually have the device and use it to make any judgments. The original Moto X was, as some people would say, an under-spec'd device yet I consistently saw almost 2 days of battery life with 5-6 hours of screen on time. Also, some people have better luck with phones. I have an iPhone 6+ currently and have phenomenal battery life. Almost as good as when I had the X. Yet some people can barely get through the day. Just because it's the same model doesn't mean everything will run the same for everyone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ah you're one of those people with the crazy SOTs :) I find my usage to put me near the middle of what people report. The 2013 X and 2014 X were both 2.5-3 hours of SOT for me which is *slightly* annoying if you're going to be away from a charger all day and using the phone as a camera/video camera (trip to the beach, the zoo, etc). Once a phone gets to 4 hours SOT though I never notice the battery life any more, because I just dont pass that amount of time without plugging in.

KWKSLVR

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site

My original Moto X still gets 4 hours screen on time on Verizon. But I also keep a lot of the location stuff scaled back and I'm careful watching what my app are doing. I think battery life is highly subjective and totally comes down to how an individual uses their device. What works for me probably doesn't for most other people.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Ah you're one of those people with the crazy SOTs :) I find my usage to put me near the middle of what people report. The 2013 X and 2014 X were both 2.5-3 hours of SOT for me which is *slightly* annoying if you're going to be away from a charger all day and using the phone as a camera/video camera (trip to the beach, the zoo, etc). Once a phone gets to 4 hours SOT though I never notice the battery life any more, because I just dont pass that amount of time without plugging in.

Yep just varies from person to person. I get good life on the weekends with my phones since I am on wifi and the usage is way lighter .. During the week at work with music / HD video streaming all on LTE -- It can hurt a battery pretty quick haha :).

noobsquared

Apr 6, 2012
Visit site

My original Moto X got almost 4 hours SOT but 2014 X could not last more than 3 hours SOT. I got 3 hours SOT when I babied the crap out of it. I'm on Nexus 6 right now after ditching S6 and G4 but I find the battery to be worse than 2014 X. G4 so far has given me the best battery this year. Even the Turbo did not go past 4 hours SOT mark for me. Just 1 gmail, syncing all the time and basic stuff enabled. No root or anything and no gaming at all. Only Facebook and G+ under social media with notifications turned off.

I feel like the new Moto X should be around the same 3 hours SOT but it may last all day compared to Moto X 2014 that needed to be plugged in once you got home from work. They are really pushing the turbo charging and I don't like that. Nexus 6 had issues of back coming off due to battery issues and I, personally believe it is from fast charging. You can't shove this much charge into old school batteries like that but I'm old school. I still use my under 2amp charger for every phone I use.

I loved the G4 there. Always just swapped batteries. Charge battery through the cradle they gave you and swap it. When I went to bed, I still had around 30% battery left and in the morning when I'd swap battery, I'd only be a couple % less but that phone and S6 stutter and hesitate due to heavy skins. As long as new Moto X lasts a day or close to G4, I'm getting it for sure.

landale

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
Potentially positive news battery wise for Moto X Style based on LG G4 Review

Anandtech finally posted their review of the LG G4 which as we know has the same processor, screen resolution, and battery size. I know it's not an exact comparison but hopefully this at least helps put people at ease a bit more while we wait for actual battery life scores.

76164.png76163.png

Full review is down here:
The LG G4 Review

travaz

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: Potentially positive news battery wise for Moto X Style based on LG G4 Review

Maybe it's just me but I never had a problem with any of the phones that I had. I carry a charger and when I am at work I can charge my phone. I also have a moto power pack that has enough juice to charge the phone 2 times. I have a car charger also. I just always make sure I have a way to keep my phone charged so Battery and SOT is not that important to me. I understand not everyone has an office job where they can plug in. If I didn't have the ability to plug a phone in I would have one of the solar chargers.