Verge: "Under Lenovo, Motorola is more like Google than it ever was"

Evilnut

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Motorola made a very conscious decision to do this. I am sure that there was many discussions with the carriers about them going this route. I believe there will be some type of announcement as we get closer to the launch date and when you buy one of these phones out right from Motorola or Best Buy, you will be able to activate service on Verizon if you want to if you don't already have service with them. There has got to be some type of way that Motorola has worked out with Verizon to make this simple for their customers. Motorola is not stupid, this was a planned move and I'm sure they have a plan that will be unveiled as we get closer to the phones launch time.

Posted via Android Central App from a beautiful Ebony backed Original Moto X or the amazing Nexus 10

Last edited:

syspry

Banned
Apr 6, 2015
Visit site
Re: Interesting Verge Piece on Motorola

I don't know many carriers in the US that do this -- AT&T and Verizon will give you a discount for BYOD. They charge you what they charge people on the payment plans (Next or Edge).

Let's say you have an old account with your existing carrier. Do they qualify for BYOD discounts or do you have to switch to a spefic plan that includes that discount? For example:

Joe is on the same plan he's had for 5 years because Joe gets 6GB data and a bunch of other stuff for a low price that's no longer available on new plans. If Joe wants a BYOD discount can he get it on that existing plan or does VZN/ATT require him to abandon his great grandfathered plan in order to sign up for a new "Next" or "Edge" plan?

If it's the latter, then that sucks for those of us lucky enough to have grabbed up those unadvertised big data plans for dirt cheap years ago. Well, I guess the consolation is that we're still getting a pretty damn big discount already, but that doesn't mean I don't want my cake and eat it too :p

benjamminh

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site

Yes, to get that discount at Verizon you have to be on specific plans with particular data levels. I'm happy for those with great grandfathered plans, but they will do all they can to make those less and less attractive.

syspry

Banned
Apr 6, 2015
Visit site

Yes, to get that discount at Verizon you have to be on specific plans with particular data levels. I'm happy for those with great grandfathered plans, but they will do all they can to make those less and less attractive.

That's what I figured.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Let's say you have an old account with your existing carrier. Do they qualify for BYOD discounts or do you have to switch to a spefic plan that includes that discount? For example:

Joe is on the same plan he's had for 5 years because Joe gets 6GB data and a bunch of other stuff for a low price that's no longer available on new plans. If Joe wants a BYOD discount can he get it on that existing plan or does VZN/ATT require him to abandon his great grandfathered plan in order to sign up for a new "Next" or "Edge" plan?

If it's the latter, then that sucks for those of us lucky enough to have grabbed up those unadvertised big data plans for dirt cheap years ago. Well, I guess the consolation is that we're still getting a pretty damn big discount already, but that doesn't mean I don't want my cake and eat it too :p

That is different -- You made it sound like no BYOD discount is being offered by carriers. If you're on any current plan (as in no "legacy" plan) you get a discount.

From your first sentence alone:

Sadly there's no incentive to buy outright on a lot of carriers because not very many of them will give you a discount off monthly fees if you BYOD.

You said they didn't which isn't true. It is true for legacy plan holders but majority of Americans have swapped so -- they do offer them BYOD discounts.

npaladin-2000

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site

Motorola made a very conscious decision to do this. I am sure that there was many discussions with the carriers about them going this route. I believe there will be some type of announcement as we get closer to the launch date and when you buy one of these phones out right from Motorola or Best Buy, you will be able to activate service on Verizon if you want to if you don't already have service with them. There has got to be some type of way that Motorola has worked out with Verizon to make this simple for their customers. Motorola is not stupid, this was a planned move and I'm sure they have a plan that will be unveiled as we get closer to the phones launch time.

Posted via Android Central App from a beautiful Ebony backed Original Moto X or the amazing Nexus 10

I don't know what could possibly make you think that. Verizon doesn't particularly want that Motorola device on their network, otherwise they'd make a deal with Motorola to carry it. Verizon doesn't want it to be simple for people to go buy the Moto X and then use it on Verizon. Verizon wants them to buy the wham-bam-slam Verizon-o-matic phone that says Verizon all over it, so the user can carry it around and be a walking advertisement.

Evilnut

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site

I don't know what could possibly make you think that. Verizon doesn't particularly want that Motorola device on their network, otherwise they'd make a deal with Motorola to carry it. Verizon doesn't want it to be simple for people to go buy the Moto X and then use it on Verizon. Verizon wants them to buy the wham-bam-slam Verizon-o-matic phone that says Verizon all over it, so the user can carry it around and be a walking advertisement.

They may not prefer it, but they are not going to pass it up. We will see what happens in a few weeks. I am confident I am correct. I have been a Verizon customer since they have been in the state of Washington and bought out the carrier I was on before. I think that's been about 18 years. I called them 2 days ago to ask them about using the sim I have in my original Moto X when I get my Moto X style. They said they would appreciate me giving them a call when I make the switch so they can record it in their system and have my account updated so it appears on the my verizon account page when I login to manage my account and pay my bill. I also asked if they would be starting new lines of service with this phone. The nice lady I talked to said as far as she knows, when you buy this phone at Best Buy, you will be able to start up a new line of service just like you would by purchasing any other phone there.

npaladin-2000

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site

They may not prefer it, but they are not going to pass it up. We will see what happens in a few weeks. I am confident I am correct. I have been a Verizon customer since they have been in the state of Washington and bought out the carrier I was on before. I think that's been about 18 years. I called them 2 days ago to ask them about using the sim I have in my original Moto X when I get my Moto X style. They said they would appreciate me giving them a call when I make the switch so they can record it in their system and have my account updated so it appears on the my verizon account page when I login to manage my account and pay my bill. I also asked if they would be starting new lines of service with this phone. The nice lady I talked to said as far as she knows, when you buy this phone at Best Buy, you will be able to start up a new line of service just like you would by purchasing any other phone there.

Count yourself lucky if you can. Verizon has always had a habit of only activating whitelisted devices. Sprint too. Verizon had to allow non-whitelisted devices on their network now, but nothing says they can't make it as difficult as possible. Remember they're NOT hurting for customers.

syspry

Banned
Apr 6, 2015
Visit site

That is different -- You made it sound like no BYOD discount is being offered by carriers. If you're on any current plan (as in no "legacy" plan) you get a discount.

From your first sentence alone:

You said they didn't which isn't true. It is true for legacy plan holders but majority of Americans have swapped so -- they do offer them BYOD discounts.
Gotcha, thanks. I haven't gone and crunched the numbers yet but I'm probably better off not giving up my legacy plan, since the equivalent data+phone+texting on newer plans is around $40 more/month, which I'm guessing without looking is a bigger cut than BYOD on the condition that I stick with 2 year upgrades (which I tend to do).

It's a pretty decent phone but I've set myself to do my upgrade this Fall after the rest of the players have shown their hands

travaz

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site

Count yourself lucky if you can. Verizon has always had a habit of only activating whitelisted devices. Sprint too. Verizon had to allow non-whitelisted devices on their network now, but nothing says they can't make it as difficult as possible. Remember they're NOT hurting for customers.

I disagree with the statement they are not hurting for customers. The last thing they want is to see customers leave. I think this type of release (when more manufacturers start doing it) will make them much more receptive to the customers needs because you can simply change sims and go elsewhere. I think it changes the landscape down the road.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

I disagree with the statement they are not hurting for customers. The last thing they want is to see customers leave. I think this type of release (when more manufacturers start doing it) will make them much more receptive to the customers needs because you can simply change sims and go elsewhere. I think it changes the landscape down the road.

Technically not true. When AT&T did rollover data Verizon came out and said they aren't doing it and if they lose customers for it.. Oh well.

That shows me they don't care to lose a few. If they started bleeding customers then they'd care but if a few leave?... Na.

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
nice read ... I think it's great what Moto is doing and would actually go out of my way to support them. I'd love to have been a fly on the wall when they decided to go this route, and realize it must've been about long term dollars and sense, not some noble crusade for the people. that said, us phone tech people in the US have been hoping to see this, and no matter how it came about, I'll choose to do business with them in hopes the trend will continue and expand to companies like HTC.

More RAM, higher resolution displays and processing speed in the thinnest shell possible isn't what I personally consider innovation. I'm more about user experience, optimization and bloat free, unlocked phones at a reasonable price these days. No matter the phone, there's always going to be tradeoffs, and in the case of the Style, it's that 3000 mAh battery that leaves me slightly skeptical. If it didn't have quick charge, I wouldn't consider it, but as it stands, I'll preorder the 32GB version as soon as it becomes available.

Overall, this was a great week for Android fans and I'm certainly pulling for Moto's success.

Posted via the Android Central App

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site

Motorola is still make Droid phones for Verizon so they have that, perhaps we won't see a Moto X Pure directly on Verizon but you will see a variant of it through Droid.

Verizon doesn't have as much to offer today in the NE compared to AT&T, so for me its fine to go with AT&T.

russel5150

Jul 15, 2012
Visit site

Motorola is still make Droid phones for Verizon so they have that, perhaps we won't see a Moto X Pure directly on Verizon but you will see a variant of it through Droid.

Verizon doesn't have as much to offer today in the NE compared to AT&T, so for me its fine to go with AT&T.

I hope the new droid isn't just a renamed x play. The droid turbo hit it out of the park last year, until the updates were slow. Im one of the few who liked kitkat on the turbo, and glad they waited for 5.1 before sending it to the turbo, i hear 5.0 had too many issues.

Ive bounced back and forth between the motorola droids and the note line by samsung. As much as i love the notes i always seem to come back to using a droid. It sounds like the note 5 may be the first note that i dont want, and i would hate to see the droid line become something i dont want either.

The moto x is a promising phone, i am mainly concerned with how active display will work with the new screen. I look at the new x to see whats coming w the droid, and i am glad i dont have to save up for a droid and can use the edge program. Buying a phone direct is a good idea, esp at the lower price, however i have more than one phone on my family plan and its just easier to make the payment on my bill. When it comes to saving up, if i had the money to pay full price in my hands, i would still think of ten other things i could do with money thats more important.

I dont want to add a whole new payment with motorola best buy or amazon. I like keeping my bills going in as few directions as possible.

I am happy for all the people who find this new style of buying a phone a win, i just dont think it will draw more people than it leaves out.

Posted via the Android Central App

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

This is what we all wanted.

Posted via Android Central App (Moto X)

Evilnut

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site

This is what we all wanted.

Posted via Android Central App (Moto X)

Yep, and I'm super happy about it! Hopefully more manufacturers will follow this model. Better for us consumers.