08-13-2015 07:41 PM
34 12
tools
    I'm posting this here because there have been multiple questions about whether VZW's system would recognize the 2015 XPE as a byop device.

Verizon to revamp its data plans starting August 13, ditches phone contracts | Android Central

New prices bring every phone to $20 instead of "$40-15=$25" for under 8gb data plans or "$40-25=$15" for 8gb and over. So whether you bring your own device, pay for a phone on installments, or buy one full price, it'll cost you $20 per phone + data. In other words: its a $5 increase per line if you already had 8gb or more of data but they are adding 2GB to each data tier at the same price. It's a $5 per line discount if you had less than 8gb.
    jimbo1mcm likes this.
    08-07-2015 12:29 PM
    I'm posting this here because there have been multiple questions about whether VZW's system would recognize the 2015 XPE as a byop device.

Verizon to revamp its data plans starting August 13, ditches phone contracts | Android Central

New prices bring every phone to $20 instead of "$40-15=$25" for under 8gb data plans or "$40-25=$15" for 8gb and over. So whether you bring your own device, pay for a phone on installments, or buy one full price, it'll cost you $20 per phone + data. In other words: its a $5 increase per line if you already had 8gb or more of data but they are adding 2GB to each data tier at the same price. It's a $5 per line discount if you had less than 8gb.
    I have a feeling Moto knew about this when they announced their new distribution model.

Posted via the Android Central App
    travaz and co.ag.2005 like this.
    08-07-2015 12:35 PM
    I read the press release and it didn't say anything about BYOD. It just states that you can do a payment plan with Verizon or pay full retail. FWIW, I also chatted with a Verizon rep this morning about this exact thing and they told me that as long as it has the right frequencies to run on their network, it would be ok. For right now, i'm taking it with a grain of salt until this comes out next month, but I sure hope it's true.
    08-07-2015 05:16 PM
    I read the press release and it didn't say anything about BYOD. It just states that you can do a payment plan with Verizon or pay full retail. FWIW, I also chatted with a Verizon rep this morning about this exact thing and they told me that as long as it has the right frequencies to run on their network, it would be ok. For right now, i'm taking it with a grain of salt until this comes out next month, but I sure hope it's true.
    Moto already stated that it'll "work on all major carriers."
    08-07-2015 05:41 PM
    If I'm reading this right...this could actually be a good thing for me. I have four lines (mine being grandfathered unlimited). We typically use 8-10GB of data and only one of us is still in a contracted period. And even with a corporate discount on my line, the bill is still $258/month. Converting to this for 12GB/month, the cost would be $160/month. I'd be saving nearly $100 per month. And considering the wife and I were both going to buy the XPE, this totally fits for us.
    08-07-2015 08:17 PM
    Very odd. I want to see this once it's out for every detail.
    08-07-2015 09:01 PM
    Moto already stated that it'll "work on all major carriers."
    Yeah, and they made a point about specifically saying Verizon during the launch event. I've stated in several posts on the forum that Motorola didn't do this in a vacuum. They knew exactly what they were doing and they did it for a reason. As a Verizon customer grandfathered in on unlimited data with a amazing employee discount, I have been off contract for the last three years. So, I am really looking forward to getting this new Moto X Pure Addition and activating it on my line.

Posted via Android Central App from a beautiful Ebony backed Original Moto X or the amazing Nexus 10
    08-07-2015 09:46 PM
    Yeah, and they made a point about specifically saying Verizon during the launch event. I've stated in several posts on the forum that Motorola didn't do this in a vacuum. They knew exactly what they were doing and they did it for a reason. As a Verizon customer grandfathered in on unlimited data with a amazing employee discount, I have been off contract for the last three years. So, I am really looking forward to getting this new Moto X Pure Addition and activating it on my line.

Posted via Android Central App from a beautiful Ebony backed Original Moto X or the amazing Nexus 10
    same here, grandfathered plan and 27% corporate discount, can't wait for the Pure ... and Moto knew well I'm advance before announcing their new distribution strategy that VZ was doing this. this isn't some small little announcement, it's a huge shift in industry and I'm sure the FCC, Apple and all the major players discussed this at length.

what's gonna be interesting is to see how this impacts iPhone sales and seeing how companies like HTC react ... I certainly wouldn't mind seeing a bloat free unlocked M10 (assuming of course they get their heads out of their *** and remove that hideous black bar!!).

08-07-2015 10:17 PM
    Good people can stop buying ugly looking useless Verizon branded phones. Hopefully they will start buying from OEMs direct and get pure carrier crap free experience. Just not seeing that ugly Verizon logo would be worth it.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
    08-07-2015 10:48 PM
    Good people can stop buying ugly looking useless Verizon branded phones. Hopefully they will start buying from OEMs direct and get pure carrier crap free experience. Just not seeing that ugly Verizon logo would be worth it.

might as well include AT&T too, though at least they don't obnoxiously include the 4G LTE ... branded phones are almost as bad as a car dealer's decal and license plate frame.
    08-08-2015 12:02 AM

Unfortunately people will still go into a store and buy the Verizon branded Samsung or Verizon branded Droid because that is what others use or that is what the store pushes on them.

Sent from my Moto X (2013)
    08-08-2015 08:46 AM
    Unfortunately people will still go into a store and buy the Verizon branded Samsung or Verizon branded Droid because that is what others use or that is what the store pushes on them.

That and because people just like the convenience of having the device payment plan tied into their cellular service. Buying direct from an OEM means either paying full price up front or opening a new line of credit if the manufacturer offers financing. Also, I get the feeling most people just don't get bothered by the carrier branding.

Posted via the AC app
    08-08-2015 11:35 AM
    Very odd. I want to see this once it's out for every detail.
    Me, too. Looks like I'd save a few bucks if in fact it goes this way.
    08-09-2015 11:09 AM
    Maybe this is true for new accounts buy for people like myself and my wife that already get a discount for being off contract, I highly doubt Verizon is changing our plans for us. Or did I miss something?

Posted via Android Central App
    08-09-2015 02:13 PM
    Maybe this is true for new accounts buy for people like myself and my wife that already get a discount for being off contract, I highly doubt Verizon is changing our plans for us. Or did I miss something?

They shouldn't. Your old plan should be grandfathered in.
    08-09-2015 02:29 PM
    I guess I'll have to do the math on it. If we can keep getting basically $50 off our plan a month by paying cash for phones I'm inclined towards it. At first glance, I thought the new plans looked ok. They didn't strike me as being gouging. At least if you're heavy data users like we are.

08-09-2015 03:01 PM

you'll have the option of keeping your existing plan or switching to a new one. I'm grandfathered into the unlimited plan and I'm not switching. also get 27% corporate discount so I'm more than happy with what I pay. VZ has the best network in my area (45 min outside Philly). anytime they discontinue a plan you have the option of sticking with it. granted, they'll do everything possible to "upgrade" you to the new ones, but ultimately it's your decision.
    08-09-2015 03:57 PM
    I think the major benefit for Verizon is that every phone they now (on the new plans) will be at a profit. There will be no more subsidized phones at a low price. I say win win.
    08-09-2015 10:30 PM
    I think the major benefit for Verizon is that every phone they now (on the new plans) will be at a profit. There will be no more subsidized phones at a low price. I say win win.
    I think Verizon would rather see a customer sign a two year contract than whatever difference in price between the new pricing structure and the subsidized. It's not like they weren't making a profit before from the sale of a phone. I think they're profit is going to be similar, it's just structured differently.

Initially, the overwhelming majority of people with the new purchase options will opt for the payment plan instead of the upfront cost. People just aren't used to walking into Verizon and dropping $600 on the spot for a brand new iPhone.

Mid range and less expensive high end phones will become increasingly popular and more people will start to pay for their phones upfront instead of spreading out the payment.

Samsung and Apple have the most to lose, and companies like HTC and LG that compete in that space are gonna have to make some major decisions. My guess is a lot of OEMs will follow Moto and sell direct in order to keep the cost low without sacrificing quality.
    08-10-2015 01:49 AM
    I think Verizon would rather see a customer sign a two year contract
    Apparently they do not want that -- Verizon to revamp its data plans starting August 13, ditches phone contracts | Android Central.

The carrier will also do away with two-year contracts and their smartphone subsidies, with customers now offered the option of either paying for the entire retail price upfront or paying via a monthly installment plan.
    08-10-2015 10:05 AM
    Well you don't have to switch to they new plans. The old plans could be cheaper for some people especially for those with double data promotion. So the byop would still be an issue for some people
    08-10-2015 10:35 AM
    yeah I've definitely seen and commented on that news. just cause they announced their new plans though, doesn't mean that they don't prefer to have two year contents. with other carriers changing things up they were forced to make this decision, but it doesn't mean they did it out of preference.
    08-10-2015 11:19 AM
    yeah I've definitely seen and commented on that news. just cause they announced their new plans though, doesn't mean that they don't prefer to have two year contents. with other carriers changing things up they were forced to make this decision, but it doesn't mean they did it out of preference.
    Normally I would agree but since it is Verizon I will have to disagree. Verizon has zero issues doing what they want and ignoring everyone else. A little while ago they said they were fine with contracts so changing had to benefit them some way.

Just like Roll Over data -- AT&T did it so everyone expected Verizon would as well but Verizon came out and said "We aren't doing it and if we lose customers due to it oh well" (basically).
    08-10-2015 11:21 AM
    Normally I would agree but since it is Verizon I will have to disagree. Verizon has zero issues doing what they want and ignoring everyone else. A little while ago they said they were fine with contracts so changing had to benefit them some way.

Just like Roll Over data -- AT&T did it so everyone expected Verizon would as well but Verizon came out and said "We aren't doing it and if we lose customers due to it oh well" (basically).
    we'll agree to disagree then!

I just think due to the changes across the industry, this move was in their best interest, but if they had their way, all the carriers would have subsidized phones and 2 year contacts. I mean, why wouldn't they want a customer tied in for 2 years vs having the freedom to switch carriers? and why did they decide to do this after at&t and T-Mobile made the changes?

had they been proactive I'd agree with you, but this was a reaction to the current environment.
    08-10-2015 04:08 PM

I don't think this is unfortunate. As long as I have the ability to purchase a phone the way I want to (direct through moto), I can... If my mom wants to go to Verizon and have the nice man tell her which phone to get, (and he recommends a droid model) I'm okay with that. Everyone wins...

What I'm not okay with is the Carrier employee trying to sell something like VZ Navigator without explaining that it's already on the phone free with Google maps or other non monthly payment turn by turn navigation apps.

08-10-2015 04:21 PM
34 12