Nano Sim vs Micro Sim on VZW UDP

eth555

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
I currently have a Note 2 and am probably going to get the Moto X Pure as a replacement phone. I am grandfathered in on Verizon's unlimited data plan so do not want to lose that. My wife is in same boat with her S4. I am wondering if it would be better just to get a Nano SIM cutter and cut our SIM's down ourselves or risk going too Verizon store and asking for one.

Will Verizon just give us Nano SIM's? Will they soak is with an upgrade charge? Or possibly screw up our unlimited data plans in the SIM number swap on our account?

I am leaning more towards getting a cutter and avoiding Verizon like the plague, just seems too risky.

I am wondering what others are thinking when it comes to this. Thanks for any input.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I would just cut the sim. But in theory Verizon shouldn't charge you anything for one. They probably won't give you one outright though they should activate a nano sim device on your line for you. However they can mess things up in the process. I have bought a sim online to avoid dealing with Verizon

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
I currently have a Note 2 and am probably going to get the Moto X Pure as a replacement phone. I am grandfathered in on Verizon's unlimited data plan so do not want to lose that. My wife is in same boat with her S4. I am wondering if it would be better just to get a Nano SIM cutter and cut our SIM's down ourselves or risk going too Verizon store and asking for one.

Will Verizon just give us Nano SIM's? Will they soak is with an upgrade charge? Or possibly screw up our unlimited data plans in the SIM number swap on our account?

I am leaning more towards getting a cutter and avoiding Verizon like the plague, just seems too risky.

I am wondering what others are thinking when it comes to this. Thanks for any input.

personally I'd just do it myself, but I wouldn't let the possibility of losing your unlimited plan be the reason ... they'll charge you for the sim, but they can't force you into another plan without your approval. I'm also on the grandfathered plan, and yeah, every time I'm in a Verizon store they try and "upgrade" me to a different plan, but they can't just do it unless you agree to it.

Posted via the Android Central App

happasaiyan

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
I have cut sims before, but there was an issue with a very old sim not registering my current 2014 moto X as a valid device. Still worked, but caused billing issues. They swapped it for a new nano for free.

pheatton

Mar 30, 2010
Visit site
I have gone into a VZW store and they have me a new sim no charge every time. Course this is the store that is very good to me and never really bothers me about trying to upgrade me.

Channan

Keyboard Warrior
Mar 21, 2010
Visit site
Last time I upgraded, I discarded the new SIM and cut down my old one with scissors. Used it for a few months and just decided to go into a Verizon store to get a new SIM that wasn't all cut up. They gave me a new one without issue. Still have unlimited data.

If you pay full price for a new phone, it should be no problem to get a smaller SIM from Verizon without risking your plan.

diesteldorf

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
As others have said, cutting a sim is pretty easy and sim cutters can also be purchased pretty cheaply.

I don't think I've ever gone into a store.

1) I've either cut them myself
2) Paid a few bucks on Ebay (Verizon 4ff sim is the one you need for a nano)
3) Activated through My Verizon website and had them mail me one for free
I was upgrading from a Galaxy Nexus to a 2013 Moto X. The system could tell by the device ID that the Moto X needed a nano and asked me if I had one or would like one mailed to me

Regardless, definitely avoid the store.....Saves your time and gas.

Lodingi

Q&A Team
Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
I've done both. I cut the sim in my Note 2 to fit my M8. I also cut the sim from my wife's LG G2 to fit her new S6.

You can purchase any size sim card from Amazon for $5. I have several sitting in my desk drawer as back up.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

SoCalBIGmike

Dec 25, 2009
Visit site
They will not activate this device as it's against COR policy.

Additionally, anything you do, including a SIM change is considered breach of your agreement and you will loose your unlimited data.

You can negotiate with CARE about a suitable data plan for you now, but they will never, ever activate a non VZW device on the network.

Not trying to be a ****, just giving you the truth. I'd go to T-mobile if unlimited data is something you need as well as some carrier support for unlocked CPNE devices.

Sprint, who the hell knows. Looks like it's possible.

Cakefish

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site
Well when I switched from micro SIM for my unlocked Nexus 5 to nano SIM for my new unlocked Moto X Play I simply went to my local Three store and asked them to help out. They just cut down the SIM for me and I carried on with my day. Easy as that. So you should be fine mate :)

Sent from my XT1562 using Tapatalk

diesteldorf

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site

Additionally, anything you do, including a SIM change is considered breach of your agreement and you will loose your unlimited data.

You can negotiate with CARE about a suitable data plan for you now, but they will never, ever activate a non VZW device on the network.

Not trying to be a ****, just giving you the truth. I'd go to T-mobile if unlimited data is something you need as well as some carrier support for unlocked CPNE devices.

That used to be the case, and honestly I don't know when it changed, because everything you said was absolutely correct at one time.

You can read old posts about people trying to activate a non-VZW Nexus 7 or Nexus 6 and it was a real pain, unless you already had an active Verizon sim.

However, it looks like things are changing:

Verizon to activate unlocked, non-Verizon iPhones and Nexus 6 phones - FierceWireless

Just to test the theory, I went to this website:

Set Your Location

and went to option #2

I entered the Device ID for my Tmobile Nexus 6 and Sprint Nexus 6. Both IDs were recognized as being elibible for Verizon and I was prompted to go into a Verizon store if I needed a new sim OR Call 1–800–256–4646 and a friendly customer service representative will help you get a new SIM card shipped right to you.

I am sure Verizon may have been reluctant at one point to implement this change. It may have been due to hubris and relinquishing some control over their network. However, it was a good decision from a business point of view.

The cell phone market has reached the point of saturation. Everyone that truly wants a cell phone already has one and carriers are forced to poach from each other for new business.

I know Verizon wouldn't have made all their LTE phones unlocked if they weren't forced to because of the C Band agreement with the FCC. I am sure they knew that certain people were taking Verizon-branded phones over to TMO and AT&T.

There was even a thread over at imore.com telling AT&T customers that were buying the new Iphone 5s off contract to get the Verizon version, since it was already unlocked and fully compatible with AT&T, TMO, and, of course, Verizon.

I am also pretty sure Verizon may have gotten wind from Moto about their upcoming Style and how they were going to sell directly to customers and not through carrier channels.

If I have a compatible device already and have a strong desire to try Big Red, Verizon should be happy to have me. This new policy proves it.

I would also have to assume that most people that take advantage of the new policy are going to be more technically literate than the average consumer and not be the type that will call tech support, expecting Verizon to 100% troubleshoot a non-VZW device.

In regards to Sprint, I have no clue. However, I was able to confirm through their website and through an online rep that my TMO Nexus 6 is recognized by Sprint as well and eligible to be used on their network.

Jax112

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
Ok here's what I plan on doing use my LG g4 and the soon to be acquired moto X back and forth and having two devices however I understand the Moto X is a nano SIM while the LG g4 is a micro sim how will I be able to switch back and forth utilizing the same sim

Cakefish

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site
Ok here's what I plan on doing use my LG g4 and the soon to be acquired moto X back and forth and having two devices however I understand the Moto X is a nano SIM while the LG g4 is a micro sim how will I be able to switch back and forth utilizing the same sim

SIM adapter. Can be bought online.

Sent from my XT1562 using Tapatalk

grooks

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site

Cut the SIM down to nano size then use a nano to micro adapter in the LG.

Sent from my Moto X (2013)

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

This is outdated info.

Jax112

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
Cut the SIM down to nano size then use a nano to micro adapter in the LG.

Sent from my Moto X (2013)

Yea but in the LG the sim trey is under the SD card. I wonder will an adaptor work with such little room

eao1991

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
Yea but in the LG the sim trey is under the SD card. I wonder will an adaptor work with such little room

It'll work. I've used an adapter in the G4 and other devices that have had the same stacked setup. You just need to make sure you install and remove it carefully since using an adapter increases the risk of damaging one of the sim contacts.

EJT

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site

Yeah, no. I have switched SIM cards three times since Verizon did away with unlimited data...........and yet I still have unlimited data. Go figure. One of those sim changes was from a micro SIM in my HTC M7 to a Nano SIM in my Nexus 6. Not a problem at all.