Nano Sim vs Micro Sim on VZW UDP

Benny879

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
You probably can't activate a new sim in this phone so cutting it is the easiest option. If they give you a new Nano SIM it won't be activated so you'd have to do so in some other approved Verizon device and then move it to the Pure.

Posted via the Android Central App

RikkiRay

Sep 2, 2015
Visit site
I've been following the Q&As about the Moto X Pure and have some questions. My current smartphone is pretty old (but paid for), and I definitely don't have the phone knowlege & expertise that most of you have. We are on Verizon (not by choice but by necessity due to coverage in our area).

My current phone has a micro SIM. Not sure if I want to tackle cutting a SIM but guess I will if I absolutely have to. If my phone has a micro SIM, will Verizon send me out a nano SIM simply if I ask?

I really would like to get the new Moto X Pure, so my next question is, if I go to my Verizon account online, could you please help me out with the order of steps I need to take to activate a new Moto X?
Am I supposed to deactivate my current phone first before adding the Moto X, or do I add the Moto X & THEN deactivate my current phone?​

If I deactivate my current phone, am I correct in thinking I would be "phoneless" until I receive a nano SIM from Verizon?​

I don't want to mess up our Verizon account or our current plan, so I just wanted to make sure I do the right things in the right order. Some of the answers in this forum seem to me to contradict each other, so any help is sure appreciated.

diesteldorf

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Hello. Before you can activate the new Moto X Pure, you'll need to make sure your current phone is turned off. It's probably best until you have the new phone in hand before you do anything, since you don't want to be phoneless while you wait for the sim.

You can activate online by logging into your account and clicking on the 'My Device' heading. There should be an option to 'Activate or Switch Device' It'll prompt you to enter the Device ID. The system should recognize that you need a nano sim and will give you the option to have one mailed to you.

You could also call Verizon at 800–256–4646. They may ask you for the device ID beforehand, but they should send a nano sim fee of charge.

However, you may be able to call them and ask for a nano sim prior to receiving the phone.

Ebay also has listings if you want to make sure you have one prior to getting the phone.

Look for: Verizon 4ff sim. $5 is typical.

Last edited:

djh2011

May 1, 2011
Visit site
My concern would be what if you didn't like the phone for some reason and now you have to get a new micro sim. There seems a lot to like and im going to order one. I'm not on UDP, but it would be nice knowing I could just swap out the sim. Nano sim? This thing is 11mm thick. They couldn't find room for a micro? :)

diesteldorf

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
You have to 'activate' phones in the US? You can't just hotswap SIMs between phones?

The only reason it's a little different is because his original sim card is a different size and he doesn't want to just cut it down to the size of a nano.

If he was cutting it down, he could just put in the new phone right away, but he's going to be activating a new sim for the new phone, since he doesn't want to cut the old one.

RikkiRay

Sep 2, 2015
Visit site
Hello. Before you can activate the new Moto X Pure, you'll need to make sure your current phone is turned off. It's probably best until you have the new phone in hand before you do anything, since you don't want to be phoneless while you wait for the sim.

You can activate online by logging into your account and clicking on the 'My Device' heading. There should be an option to 'Activate or Switch Device' It'll prompt you to enter the Device ID. The system should recognize that you need a nano sim and will give you the option to have one mailed to you.

You could also call Verizon at 800–256–4646. They may ask you for the device ID beforehand, but they should send a nano sim fee of charge.

However, you may be able to call them and ask for a nano sim prior to receiving the phone.

Ebay also has listings if you want to make sure you have one prior to getting the phone.

Look for: Verizon 4ff sim is what you'l want to look for. $5 is typical.

Thanks! That helps a lot! Till I have the new phone in hand, once I've done the "Activate or Switch Device" in my account & ask for the nano sim to be mailed out, can I then log out & resume use of my current phone till the new sim arrives? (Nearest Verizon store in my rural area is many miles away.)

Cakefish

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site
Carriers here don't cut SIMs. They'll just provide a new one.

Posted via Android Central App (Moto X)
Oh, that's inconvenient. Mine cut down my micro SIM to nano SIM with no fuss at the store. From all that I hear, the US carriers sound a little strict compared to the European ones.

Sent from my XT1562 using Tapatalk

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Oh, that's inconvenient. Mine cut down my micro SIM to nano SIM with no fuss at the store. From all that I hear, the US carriers sound a little strict compared to the European ones.

I'd take a new SIM over a cut SIM any day.

Cakefish

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site
I'd take a new SIM over a cut SIM any day.

Well new SIM you have to wait for the phone number to be transferred over, whilst cutting a SIM just lets you plug and play (as long as they cut it properly!). I've had no issues with mine since it was cut. But hey, your opinion is perfectly valid too.

diesteldorf

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
My concern would be what if you didn't like the phone for some reason and now you have to get a new micro sim. There seems a lot to like and im going to order one. I'm not on UDP, but it would be nice knowing I could just swap out the sim. Nano sim? This thing is 11mm thick. They couldn't find room for a micro? :)

Yes, you can log out and keep using your current phone until the nano sim arrives.

If you call Verizon directly, they may or may send it out sooner, but don't be surprised if they ask for the device id of the new phone and make you wait. Good luck