Moto X Style (Moto X Pure Edition): Moto Maker Customizations

streetkilln

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Re: Moto X pure backs?

Heard the wood backs are a bit slippery, honestly I didn't bother with customs back I picked the pain black rubber one as I'll just throw a case on it , the rubber feels nice and gripe tho

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

bpe4

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site

Newsflash: it doesn't matter what material your phone back is. You grip your phone from the sides. The back might rest in your palm, but the points of pressure that holds it are the sides.

KWKSLVR

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Let's Talk Materials

So I'm closing in on ordering my Pure Edition. I currently have a 2013 Moto X with a wood back. I've enjoyed it, it's been tough and durable but extremely slick. I'm hesitant to go with a wood back on the Pure because of size, especially since I'm one of those people who thinks the 2013 is the perfect size.

I do miss the soft touch I had before my wood, so I'm curious how the other backs compare. Is the wood on the PE the exact same as previous years? What about the plastic, is it as grippy as the soft touch backs were (Navy, Black, etc) on the 2013 MX? Also, does anyone have close ups of their leather backs, and how would you rate grip on a scale of 1-10?

MTeator

Sep 10, 2015
Visit site
Re: Let's Talk Materials

I'd rate the grip on the silicone ribbed back at 1/10 for "greased pig"

Posted via the Android Central App

sharkita

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site

I have the dark navy back and it's not that slippery but a lint magnet. I am currently rotating between two back covers: an Incipio Octane Case in frost/black and a Cimo Wave Slim TPU Flexible Soft Case, both of which give it plenty of grip without adding bulk. The Cimo is less protective than the Incipio of course, but it adds the least bulk. For me, the back wasn't slippery, but the metal edges are. Regardless, I always like using a back cover to keep the back nice and new.

The soft touch backs on the 2013 Moto X were very nice - nicer than the 2014 version or even what I have on the Pure. I still have my 2013 and it has the nicest feel, but I also protected it with a back cover so it still looks new.

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site

I've had a wood and silicon pure. The wood was slick for sure but looks really nice. I have the grey silicon and love the way it looks and there is definitely more grip. I did drop mine the other day getting out of my car and nicked the edge...so now it's in a cimo tpu case which I also like as it adds good grip around the outside.

mabr82

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site

Bump.

Just wondering how those with the leather are finding it? Is it holding up well? Is it grippy?

anon(19981)

May 2, 2010
Visit site

I'm really liking the leather. It's not a soft as the leather used on the x2 but it seems to be more durable. I have had it over a month with no case and have not even came close to dropping it. It's also getting softer which I like.

greg5524

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site

Newsflash: it doesn't matter what material your phone back is. You grip your phone from the sides. The back might rest in your palm, but the points of pressure that holds it are the sides.

Breaking: if the back was grippy you wouldn't always have to squeeze the sides

jackwagon06

May 15, 2012
Visit site

Next on "Breaking Backs"- Jesse buys a silicone back, only to realize that Hiesenberg invented the compound.

KWKSLVR

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site

Breaking: if the back was grippy you wouldn't always have to squeeze the sides

+1 My original Moto X was always resting in my hand. My current one with a wood back is not as easy to essentially palm. I've gotta wrap my fingers around it. I love the wood, I'm tempted by leather. But I don't want to smash the phone. (I never drop phones)

brian l s

Oct 22, 2015
Visit site
Moto Maker?

Anyone else find the Moto Maker options a bit underwhelming?

It's awesome if you want to make a white and yellow phone with pink accents. But if you want to make an attractive, professional looking phone the options seem way limited. I don't think leather helps--leather can look raggy after some wear. And wood grain on a phone is a complete mystery to me.

More metallic colors for the front especially would be a huge help. Limiting the front to black or white is, well, very limiting.

swebb

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
Re: Moto Maker?

I disagree. 10 back options (leather and wood excluded because you don't like them) and 7 accent options isn't enough? That's 70 possibilities. Name any other phone that has more than 2-3 total. Regarding the front, it is almost certainly preassembled with the memory options, and white or black front configured, then stocked semi-finished. It is final assembled to order with the back and accents glued to the semi-finished phone. Introducing more front options would either complicate the logistics (having to stock more semi-finished SKU's) or increase the lead time, if more of the phone was built to order.

You can certainly build an attractive professional phone with the current options. Or a wild unique phone.

What option(s) would you add?

brian l s

Oct 22, 2015
Visit site

Since you asked...how about gunmetal gray or metallic champagne or gold platinum for the front.

If I wanted a pink, yellow, red, blue, wood, or leather phone no question moto maker has that covered in spades.

If I want more professional (subtle) colors and don't want leather, not many choices.

I still think Moto Maker is a great, more subtle choices would make it a lot better.

the tall guy

Q&A Team
Sep 23, 2013
Visit site

I've had mine for about a month now, with the leather back and it doesn't look raggy. If anything it looks better now than it did when I took it out the box. I went for the cognac finish.

brian l s

Oct 22, 2015
Visit site

A few years ago I had a phone with a leather back and it looked raggy after about a year. I'm sure moto is using better quality leather than that but for me I just can't shake the image.

dmark44

Mar 2, 2012
Visit site

I think if anything, a few of more accent colors would be good.

I'd love to see a metallic green - Android green or something like Cannondale Berserker Green.

lewwill

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site

I got a black front, slate grey silicone back with titanium trim. Looks pretty professional and 64 GB storage on board with a 128GB sd card.

radgatt

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site

I think Motorola did it right with just limiting it to black or white for the front of the phone. Any other color for the front doesn't really look professional IMO. More color options for the back would have been something that I could have gone for. An actual red, orange, or an electric blue would have opened up even more possibilities. Just having Moto Maker to begin with is something that is innovative. No one else is doing that.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay