Moto X Style: is it worth it to upgrade from the Galaxy Note 4?

Ed_Hicks

Aug 22, 2015
Visit site
Re:

I bought a Moto X 2014 during the Black Friday sale last year and used it up until May when I bought a Note 4. The Note 4 only seemed to be a slight upgrade in battery life, we are talking a couple of hours at the end of the day, and with the camera under low light conditions. In fact, I have since sold the Note and am back to using the Moto X. Since the upgrade to 5.1 it is miles faster than the Note was on 5.0. Combine that with the fact that I didn't use the S Pen and found the size just a hair too big and it made the Moto a better choice for me. The Moto X takes pictures that are more than good enough, if I need a great picture I'll use a real camera, but that isn't really how I use my phone.

I plan on buying a Moto X Pure Edition as soon as it is available in the US. I know it is bigger again than the 2014 model but I want the bigger battery and Motorola software. I really do like what Motorola adds to Android as opposed to how TouchWiz rewrites Android. I've not used a Samsung phone that wasn't noticeably slower than a similar phone not running TouchWiz. To decide if it is worth the upgrade you really need to decide how you use the phone. For me the Motorola phones are better. If you don't experience any lag, or don't let it bother you, and/or you rely on the S Pen I don't think I'd bother switching. The Note 4 was a really good phone but it just wasn't the phone for me. I've tried several Samsung phones and they just never agree with me and I always move away.
I rarely use my stylus. Less than once a month. I like the latest and greatest specs which the Note series pretty much always delivers. The other reasons I like Samsung devices is how easy they are to root and experiment with as well as how forgiving they are to mistakes during the process. A boot loop on some devices means it's pretty much bricked. On Samsung devices I haven't yet met a boot loop I can't fix.

I have some serious reading to do before I go that way on a Motorola device. Any experience with that?

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

ewak12321

Nov 13, 2013
plus.google.com
Re: Moto X Pure/Style from a Note 4

Samsung since 4.4.2 update is not root-friendly anymore, do you know about Konx Warranty Bit in Download Mode? When it changes to 0x1 you lost your warranty forever, it's permanent not possible to hide or reset. It's on EVERY Samsung Android device with 4.4.2 or higher. You can't delete, hide, deactivate, uninstall it. Since 2 years no progress. If they see that Knox Warranty Bit in Download Mode is different, they don't repair device under warranty you have to pay for repairs. Any unauthorized try of modification of system, root, other ROM, custom recovery trips it. No more Samsung for me because of this

Translated with my own brain to English ;)

Ed_Hicks

Aug 22, 2015
Visit site
Re: Moto X Pure/Style from a Note 4

Samsung since 4.4.2 update is not root-friendly anymore, do you know about Konx Warranty Bit in Download Mode? When it changes to 0x1 you lost your warranty forever, it's permanent not possible to hide or reset. It's on EVERY Samsung Android device with 4.4.2 or higher. You can't delete, hide, deactivate, uninstall it. Since 2 years no progress. If they see that Knox Warranty Bit in Download Mode is different, they don't repair device under warranty you have to pay for repairs. Any unauthorized try of modification of system, root, other ROM, custom recovery trips it. No more Samsung for me because of this

Translated with my own brain to English ;)
I'm fully aware. It's possible to root without tripping Knox, but that's about it. No custom roms, recovery or kernel.

My S3 and Note 2 were both rooted before I got them home. I actually brought my laptop and rooted them right there in the parking lot.

FYI. The flash counter on my S3 when I sold it was 27. On my Note 2 it was 24.

kart38

Jan 10, 2010
Visit site
Re:

I have some serious reading to do before I go that way on a Motorola device. Any experience with that?

I'm on Verizon so I never rooted my Note and it isn't available for my Moto X. I used to root and flash a lot but have gotten away from it. Lately it doesn't offer the same benefits to me it once did. Only thing I'd use it for now is debloating the phone.

Posted via the Android Central App

Ed_Hicks

Aug 22, 2015
Visit site
Re:

I'm on Verizon so I never rooted my Note and it isn't available for my Moto X. I used to root and flash a lot but have gotten away from it. Lately it doesn't offer the same benefits to me it once did. Only thing I'd use it for now is debloating the phone.

That is exactly why I decided to try not to root a phone. Increasingly, I was finding fewer and fewer benefits to it. What turned out to be the case was constantly trying new roms blinded me to the drawbacks of TW. I'm 2 weeks into using a new TW rom and I just experienced my first evidence of constipation from TW already.

David Rosen

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Re:

I don't wish bad performance on anyone haha... But I'm so glad to finally see people mirroring my experience with rooting/roms. Everyone thinks that it makes for such amazing performance... But it's just because you had to wipe everything in the process. A few weeks... Months in... Back to the same crap. And most likely, the people raving about it, have already flashed another ROM, so they're getting the benefits again. I did the whole runaround with 5 phones in a row before finally giving up on rooting after getting the Note 3 (and 4). But unless you really just want to play with this stuff all night for fun, it's really a pain. I want a phone that just works. Hopefully the Moto X Pure is it :)

Scott Shrewsberry

Feb 2, 2015
Visit site
Re:

I really want to try the new Moto X Pure/Style. I love my Note 4, but I've never had a "pure" Android phone. I do use my stylus some, but I think I could get used to not having it for sure as I've never really used it to its full potential anyway. Plus, since the Lollipop update my Note has not been the most responsive. I really want to experience something with a lot of power, that's stripped down and gets updates regularly. I can't wait for this thing to go on sale because I think I will love it. It seems that everyone (for the most part) is extremely happy with the Moto X line of phones. Sure, the camera hasn't been the best, but as long as the pictures are decent enough I think I'll be satisfied. Not to mention the customization with MotoMaker and the price point.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Re:

Have had my Note 4 since launch, but will buy the Moto X Style in part out of principle. Provided of course that the device is good, Motorola IMO should be supported in trying something more consumer/user centric. I would use my Note 4 as a backup and mainly for Gear VR use.

The big assumption is battery life is not a problem on the Moto X Pure. If not, I will get a 64GB stock model, since will put a case on it anyway.

As far as Touch Wiz, it is correct that Nova and other launchers do not stop the resources Touch Wiz uses. I use Touch Wiz and kill the bloat with Package Disabler. The overall Samsung and carrier bloat is more a factor than TW.

Riccardo C

Aug 25, 2015
Visit site
Re:

So I am coming from a Samsung S6 and felt it was time for a change especially since the new Note 5 had no expandable memory, or micro sd slot. I saw the debut of the Moto X Pure edition and it was everything I wanted with the exception of a fingerprint scanner. So I signed up on the site for updates and nothing (crickets chirping). I usually see Tech reviews, prerelease units, but nothing in regards to a drop date. So yes everyone is buzzing about Sept 3rd but no one has been able to confirm that date. So now I’m left with a dilemma I have T-Mobile and they are running sale on the Note 4. The sale was for $500 bucks and that’s not a bad price, and once I started to compare the 2 they are neck and neck in regards to specs with the exception of front firing speakers and UI touch wiz (laggy but has great features) or stock android but in limbo for a release date... Can anyone help me choose and does anyone have more info on the Moto X release date..

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
So I am coming from a Samsung S6 and felt it was time for a change especially since the new Note 5 had no expandable memory, or micro sd slot. I saw the debut of the Moto X Pure edition and it was everything I wanted with the exception of a fingerprint scanner. So I signed up on the site for updates and nothing (crickets chirping). I usually see Tech reviews, prerelease units, but nothing in regards to a drop date. So yes everyone is buzzing about Sept 3rd but no one has been able to confirm that date. So now I’m left with a dilemma I have T-Mobile and they are running sale on the Note 4. The sale was for $500 bucks and that’s not a bad price, and once I started to compare the 2 they are neck and neck in regards to specs with the exception of front firing speakers and UI touch wiz (laggy but has great features) or stock android but in limbo for a release date... Can anyone help me choose and does anyone have more info on the Moto X release date..

nobody is gonna make a decision for you, that's your job, and Moto hasn't announced a release date.

don't rely on an email from moto for the release date, cause it'll be announced here and on other tech sites days before.

it's going to be released soon, and I wouldn't be shocked if we hear something official this week, so if you really want it, just hold on a little longer.

both are great phones, and there's no wrong choice. personally, I dislike TW and I prefer bloat free, non carrier branded, unlocked phones that run stock Android. the Moto Pure fits that description well.

if I liked TW, and wanted a pen, I'd actually prefer the Note 4 over the Note 5 when you take the price into consideration.

If you want somebody to push you in a direction, get the Moto Pure. If nothing else, it's new and you'll have fun designing it on Moto Maker. Plus you have those front speakers you mentioned.

Good luck!

Riccardo C

Aug 25, 2015
Visit site
thanks for the advice ... I dont mind TW i actually like some features about it but i suffered from suck bad lagg that i wanna throw the phone out the window... I guess thats why im so torn but I will take your advice and try the Moto X ....Cheers!

Ed_Hicks

Aug 22, 2015
Visit site
My disappointment in this process is the lack of hype and information surrounding the release. I've been spoiled in the past while waiting for Samsung devices. Trying to find any information aside from the September 3rd date from the deleted tweet is impossible. Motorola(Lenovo) could definitely do a better job building interest for their products.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
I think the lack of post launch hype is due to the layoffs that gutted the very site that manages the launch. Poorly timed decision by Lenovo which suggests an overall lack of communication and poor tactical approach by Lenovo. Layoffs are bad anyway you spin it, but the timing of this made it worse and could hurt overall sales.

Ed_Hicks

Aug 22, 2015
Visit site
I think the lack of post launch hype is due to the layoffs that gutted the very site that manages the launch. Poorly timed decision by Lenovo which suggests an overall lack of communication and poor tactical approach by Lenovo. Layoffs are bad anyway you spin it, but the timing of this made it worse and could hurt overall sales.
Either way, unless it comes out that September 3rd isn't the day I'll be at a Best Buy the minute they open. 1 64gb, black version, please...

David Rosen

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Well its been like a week and I haven't done the previously planned T-Mobile Jump to the Note 5... I think at this point it's pretty safe to say I'm holding out for the Moto X Pure, even if it does get delayed a few weeks. I can live with Samsung's TouchWiz making my screen freeze white for 10 seconds while it loads the camera or 8 seconds when I try to switch to a previous app (only to need to reload it anyway) or whatever other issues it causes that I'm sure other Android phones don't have.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
Re:

I don't wish bad performance on anyone haha... But I'm so glad to finally see people mirroring my experience with rooting/roms. Everyone thinks that it makes for such amazing performance...

I used to flash ROMs a lot. Eventually, though, it got a bit ridiculous because it was constant chase for a better experience. I shouldn't have to root a phone just to get a decent experience. I stopped caring about ROMs and rooting after I got my 2013 Moto X. I just want my phone to work the way I want it to, and that's what I get from the Moto X.

I don't ever want TouchBloat and I don't want to have to root a phone to get rid of it, so I'll never get a Samsung.

thejesse

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
My disappointment in this process is the lack of hype and information surrounding the release. I've been spoiled in the past while waiting for Samsung devices. Trying to find any information aside from the September 3rd date from the deleted tweet is impossible. Motorola(Lenovo) could definitely do a better job building interest for their products.

Do you buy a phone for hype or substance?
Have you considered that much of the difference in price between a Note and a Moto X Style is Marketing, aka hype?

Ed_Hicks

Aug 22, 2015
Visit site
Do you buy a phone for hype or substance?
Have you considered that much of the difference in price between a Note and a Moto X Style is Marketing, aka hype?

For me, the journey is just as enjoyable as the destination. I will gobble up every single piece of information I can find on a device before I buy it. I enjoy getting the device in hand and judging the hype and reviews for myself. All I'm saying is that being a Samsung die-hard for so long I got used to a different lead up to launch and I fed well on it. From that viewpoint, it really does seem less fun to follow along.

All that said, you brought up a point I really hadn't considered and is a great point. The lesser hype and advertising is certainly being reflected in the price of the device. The price of the device is something that definitely is prompting me to purchase my first factory unlocked, non-carrier branded phone.

But, while I certainly appreciate the smaller dent in my wallet, this revelation doesn’t add any fun to the journey.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

David Rosen

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
For me, the journey is just as enjoyable as the destination. I will gobble up every single piece of information I can find on a device before I buy it. I enjoy getting the device in hand and judging the hype and reviews for myself. All I'm saying is that being a Samsung die-hard for so long I got used to a different lead up to launch and I fed well on it. From that viewpoint, it really does seem less fun to follow along.

All that said, you brought up a point I really hadn't considered and is a great point. The lesser hype and advertising is certainly being reflected in the price of the device. The price of the device is something that definitely is prompting me to purchase my first factory unlocked, non-carrier branded phone.

But, while I certainly appreciate the smaller dent in my wallet, this revelation doesn’t add any fun to the journey.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

I sort of enjoy the journey (all of this forum activity lately is proof of that), but I also find that the vast majority of it means nothing, because normally the issues I have once I own a phone were never once mentioned in reviews, previews, hands on videos, forum posts or anything haha... UNTIL I mention it after I get it and then its like "oh yea, some people have noticed that..." And then I want to tear my hair out. And there's NEVER a solution.

The biggest shock ever was the 5 second lag to open the Recent Apps menu on the Note 4. And I can walk into any cell phone store and reproduce it right now on any Note 4. Yet not a single review mentioned it... Really? It basically makes multitasking an annoyance for me. Oh well.