Moto X Style: is it worth it to upgrade from the Galaxy Note 4?

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
I sort of enjoy the journey (all of this forum activity lately is proof of that), but I also find that the vast majority of it means nothing, because normally the issues I have once I own a phone were never once mentioned in reviews, previews, hands on videos, forum posts or anything haha... UNTIL I mention it after I get it and then its like "oh yea, some people have noticed that..." And then I want to tear my hair out. And there's NEVER a solution.

The biggest shock ever was the 5 second lag to open the Recent Apps menu on the Note 4. And I can walk into any cell phone store and reproduce it right now on any Note 4. Yet not a single review mentioned it... Really? It basically makes multitasking an annoyance for me. Oh well.

Or the 3 second shutter delay to take a picture with the droid turbo. Never mentioned. Could have walked into any verizon store for the first few months after release and reproduced it.

Even AC, who tries to take their time, miss some of the very obvious stuff that drives owners of the devices crazy. They described the turbo delay as "capture times are just a tad slower...". I wouldn't describe "tap the shutter and while you're waiting your kid literally runs out of the room before it captures" to be a tad slower.

David Rosen

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Oh and I find myself saying it over and over but its really true... The price isn't really why I'm interested in the Moto X Pure. I mean it's great and all that it's less expensive, but its really the combination of what the phone has. There's no "more expensive" phone that really has all of what I want anymore. And after all, my family's business pays our cell phone bills. Haha. :)

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

benjamminh

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
Or the 3 second shutter delay to take a picture with the droid turbo. Never mentioned. Could have walked into any verizon store for the first few months after release and reproduced it.

Even AC, who tries to take their time, miss some of the very obvious stuff that drives owners of the devices crazy. They described the turbo delay as "capture times are just a tad slower...". I wouldn't describe "tap the shutter and while you're waiting your kid literally runs out of the room before it captures" to be a tad slower.

In the Droid Turbo and Droid Maxx forums there was a great deal of discussion of the painfully slow shutter speed with the Turbo. We'd tell people to go into a Verizon store and take the "hand test" and see if your hand was in the photo you took or not (take the photo, wait a moment, move your hand). But I agree in the mainstream press there was little mention of an issue that really angered a lot of Droid Turbo owners.

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
For me, the journey is just as enjoyable as the destination. I will gobble up every single piece of information I can find on a device before I buy it. I enjoy getting the device in hand and judging the hype and reviews for myself. All I'm saying is that being a Samsung die-hard for so long I got used to a different lead up to launch and I fed well on it. From that viewpoint, it really does seem less fun to follow along.

All that said, you brought up a point I really hadn't considered and is a great point. The lesser hype and advertising is certainly being reflected in the price of the device. The price of the device is something that definitely is prompting me to purchase my first factory unlocked, non-carrier branded phone.

But, while I certainly appreciate the smaller dent in my wallet, this revelation doesn’t add any fun to the journey.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

I was originally gonna criticize your statement, but there's definitely some truth to that. I've been as active as anyone on these forums concerning the Nexus and Pure, and obviously I participate cause I enjoy the lead up too. Christmas Eve was always more fun than Christmas day.

That said, I don't need Moto to drive the hype. BT Twitter and all the "leaks" nowadays, companies can create buzz at no cost. Granted it might not come with the flare of Samsung or Apple, but the discussion is still there, and as pointed out, we're the ones paying for that marketing.

I have a Nexus 4 and S4, so obviously I've been more than patient. I haven't upgraded simply because until now there hadn't been a phone that I really liked. I don't mind waiting a few weeks, and when Moto Maker finally opens up, the excitement of designing my phone and anxiously waiting for it to arrive will be well worth the wait.

Unfortunately I can't say the same thing about Nexus and that sh*t show that is their distribution and inventory nightmare!

Ed_Hicks

Aug 22, 2015
Visit site
I was originally gonna criticize your statement, but there's definitely some truth to that. I've been as active as anyone on these forums concerning the Nexus and Pure, and obviously I participate cause I enjoy the lead up too. Christmas Eve was always more fun than Christmas day.

That said, I don't need Moto to drive the hype. BT Twitter and all the "leaks" nowadays, companies can create buzz at no cost. Granted it might not come with the flare of Samsung or Apple, but the discussion is still there, and as pointed out, we're the ones paying for that marketing.

I have a Nexus 4 and S4, so obviously I've been more than patient. I haven't upgraded simply because until now there hadn't been a phone that I really liked. I don't mind waiting a few weeks, and when Moto Maker finally opens up, the excitement of designing my phone and anxiously waiting for it to arrive will be well worth the wait.

Unfortunately I can't say the same thing about Nexus and that sh*t show that is their distribution and inventory nightmare!
You definitely make a valid point regarding leaks and hype. I also subscribe to multiple leakers and follow that closely.

This will be my third attempt at OTS. (Other Than Samsung, if that wasn't obvious) I've also owned a HTC One M7 and an LG G2. The M7 was so slippery in hand I hated using it. The G2 just turned me off LG's UI software. It was quite buggy.

I'm dying to see if all the "Motorola goodness" hype from Moto Fanboys is true. I like the camera and the screen on gestures from afar. After finally tiring of the TW constipation, I really hope this device is as good in hand as it seems on paper.

bigbuc

May 28, 2013
Visit site
The hype, pre-sales buzz is free advertising.
Their should be real reviews out by now.
Something is fishy...reminds me of early 1990s vaporware. Announce the software before it's made, see if there's real interest, cobble it together.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Moto fanboys are not even on the same tier of unrequited love as Apple, Nintendo and Samsung fans. They are fanatics personified ;)

A lot of them seem blindly loyal to both products and companies that will never love them back. Not all though. Some have not fallen down the rabbit hole :)

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
In the Droid Turbo and Droid Maxx forums there was a great deal of discussion of the painfully slow shutter speed with the Turbo. We'd tell people to go into a Verizon store and take the "hand test" and see if your hand was in the photo you took or not (take the photo, wait a moment, move your hand). But I agree in the mainstream press there was little mention of an issue that really angered a lot of Droid Turbo owners.

The only DROID the "mainstream" press covered was the original DROID.

Ed_Hicks

Aug 22, 2015
Visit site
Motorola just announced pre-orders on Twitter
083c89f90078200f7095591513813a1f.jpg

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

thejesse

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
For me, the journey is just as enjoyable as the destination. I will gobble up every single piece of information I can find on a device before I buy it. I enjoy getting the device in hand and judging the hype and reviews for myself. All I'm saying is that being a Samsung die-hard for so long I got used to a different lead up to launch and I fed well on it. From that viewpoint, it really does seem less fun to follow along.

All that said, you brought up a point I really hadn't considered and is a great point. The lesser hype and advertising is certainly being reflected in the price of the device. The price of the device is something that definitely is prompting me to purchase my first factory unlocked, non-carrier branded phone.

But, while I certainly appreciate the smaller dent in my wallet, this revelation doesn’t add any fun to the journey.

The journey is indeed part of the fun.

Ntchwaidumela

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Re:

For me it's the stock Android, becuase I truly truly believe that TouchWiz is the reason for all the slowdown in my Android experience. I mean it's got to be? At first I was convinced it was using an SD card that causes the problems, and while I still think more internal storage and less reliance on SD cards would be a better thing for powerful Android phones (I can't wait for 128gb or even more internal storage phones), ever since I did another System Restore and started using my Note 4 without an SD card, it's slow as hell again. I mean it's sad how slow it is. It's a joke. And it's all UI related. Loading apps, unlocking, recent apps, swiping around, things like that. Just sick of this phone and I don't know if I want to trust Samsung for a 3rd time (S3 - Note 3, Note 3 - Note 4... Note 4 - Note 5 would be my 3rd time trusting them and being let down by performance). Only reason I ever trusted them is because of the on paper "best specs in the industry" ... but those specs don't really seem to help much haha.

Oh and honestly removable battery doesn't bother me, I never swap batteries... I'll kinda miss the S-Pen but not really. I rarely use it.

I'm mostly with you on this whole thing. I think the battery life on the X Pure will definitely be adequate since it doesn't have to deal with the crap that runs in the background of Samsung phones. Don't get me wrong. I like my Note 4. But I like the option of having a microSD slot, which the Note 5 doesn't have. I see the performance being better than the Note 4 and I'm really not going to miss the S Pen.The price is also a HUGE selling point. I ordered the 64GB, customized to just the way I want it to look, for $499.99. The Note 5 64GB version is $799. AND my 128GB microSD card will work perfectly! Plus, all I have to do is swap out the SIM card from my Note4 and I'm up and running. I'm happy with my decision and looking forward to putting my new X Pure through its paces. Scheduled for 9/15 delivery.

Ntchwaidumela

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Re:

I really want to try the new Moto X Pure/Style. I love my Note 4, but I've never had a "pure" Android phone. I do use my stylus some, but I think I could get used to not having it for sure as I've never really used it to its full potential anyway. Plus, since the Lollipop update my Note has not been the most responsive. I really want to experience something with a lot of power, that's stripped down and gets updates regularly. I can't wait for this thing to go on sale because I think I will love it. It seems that everyone (for the most part) is extremely happy with the Moto X line of phones. Sure, the camera hasn't been the best, but as long as the pictures are decent enough I think I'll be satisfied. Not to mention the customization with MotoMaker and the price point.

The price point is HUGE! I just ordered the X Pure 64GB version, customized it just the way I want it to look and wasn't charged extra for it. The cost was $499.99, $300 less than the Note 5 64GB model. I'll probably sell my Note 4 on eBay, along with my Gear S (which will not work on the Moto). But Motorola also has a trade-in program that offers me the same for my phone as T-Mobile. And all I have to do with the X is swap out the SIM and I'm set to go.

Ed_Hicks

Aug 22, 2015
Visit site
Re:

The price point is HUGE! I just ordered the X Pure 64GB version, customized it just the way I want it to look and wasn't charged extra for it. The cost was $499.99, $300 less than the Note 5 64GB model. I'll probably sell my Note 4 on eBay, along with my Gear S (which will not work on the Moto). But Motorola also has a trade-in program that offers me the same for my phone as T-Mobile. And all I have to do with the X is swap out the SIM and I'm set to go.
Correct me if I am wrong, but the Note 4 is a micro sim, not a nano sim. I am pretty sure you will need a new sim card.

Last edited:

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Re:

Ordered my 64GB MXP15 today and should be here by Sept 18th. Will test and compare to my Note 4 bunches. If pans out, my Note 4 will be my back up and used mainly for Gear VR.

Ed_Hicks

Aug 22, 2015
Visit site
Re:

Ordered my 64GB MXP15 today and should be here by Sept 18th. Will test and compare to my Note 4 bunches. If pans out, my Note 4 will be my back up and used mainly for Gear VR.
I plan to do the same before I sell my Note 4s. I have a Bell Mobility version (N910W8) and a Sprint version (N910P)

dmaynard83

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
I had the note 5 for the last 2 weeks and returned it. In the end I just got fed up of the stutters of touchwiz on something I spent $800. I'm using a Moto x 2014 until my pure comes in.

Kind of sad using last year's moto x feels more smooth than the note 5.

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk

Ed_Hicks

Aug 22, 2015
Visit site
I had the note 5 for the last 2 weeks and returned it. In the end I just got fed up of the stutters of touchwiz on something I spent $800. I'm using a Moto x 2014 until my pure comes in.

Kind of sad using last year's moto x feels more smooth than the note 5.

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk
My wife loves her stylus enough that she doesn't care. I used her Note 5 for a day and was sure I made the right decision to forgo the Note 5 for the Pure. I'm just sick and tired of TW getting constipated.

Ntchwaidumela

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I look at it as a little upgrade. I get all the features I wanted to keep...more memory, microSD card option, good camera...but without paying $800 for it. Not only am I getting those features, I'm getting rid of bloatware and getting the pure Android experience (which will probably save on battery life), I customized it the way I want it, and saved hundreds of dollars. I actually like my Note 4 at lot. But I'm able to upgrade to the X Pure and at a great deal.