08-22-2015 12:46 AM
32 12
tools
    Camera Showdown: OnePlus 2 vs LG G4 vs Galaxy S6 | Android Central

While they possibly look the best on a small phone screen, the colors on the OP2 are WAY off, given that the G4 and S6 color reproductions are basically a known quantity. So, if we're looking for the best phone to share on twitter - the OP2 may have won that due to the added saturation and color enhancements that they seem to be adding in post - but what's actually the best camera? G4 looks to still be king.

Moto, you said you're bringing it and early reviews put you in the top 3. Well, OP2 tried and while they got some good looking shots, they didn't kill any flagships. Are you going to outdo this performance?
    From the review summary I'm not getting where the LG "trounced" the Galaxy and the OPO...

"So which camera is the best? There's no clear answer here. Each of these cameras has some clear strengths and weaknesses. The G4 does great in full auto if you're going for color accuracy, and detail, but struggles as a tap to focus camera. The Galaxy S6 works well in every environment except low light, where it struggles with clarity and focus. As for the OnePlus 2, it's a great all around camera that sits somewhere in between these two heavyweights, which is a big win for OnePlus."
    08-21-2015 09:19 AM
    From the review summary I'm not getting where the LG "trounced" the Galaxy and the OPO...

"So which camera is the best? There's no clear answer here. Each of these cameras has some clear strengths and weaknesses. The G4 does great in full auto if you're going for color accuracy, and detail, but struggles as a tap to focus camera. The Galaxy S6 works well in every environment except low light, where it struggles with clarity and focus. As for the OnePlus 2, it's a great all around camera that sits somewhere in between these two heavyweights, which is a big win for OnePlus."
    The blog is going to shy away from stating that one device of another definitively sucks. That part you quoted is clear that if you want accuracy the G4 is the way to go.

sent via Nexus Assassin Edition. Gonfaloniere.
    08-21-2015 10:17 AM
    The blog is going to shy away from stating that one device of another definitively sucks. That part you quoted is clear that if you want accuracy the G4 is the way to go.

sent via Nexus Assassin Edition. Gonfaloniere.
    My point. *sigh* it's all word play and neutral outcome reviews I guess...
    08-21-2015 12:57 PM
    I guess we have a different definition of "trouncing".

Posted via the Android Central App
    I'm with you on this one. Either Russell Holly needs to get his eyes checked or I do because in most of the cases where he has awarded the win to the G4 I took a look at the images myself and would've handed it to the S6 easily. For example look at the last image of the low light android mascots. The LG and OP lenses were unable to capture most of the background in those lighting conditions. This is where most phone cams fall flat on their face, and the S6 doesn't fail here. I agree that without flash the G4 shot looks better.

I also disagree with his detail statements awarding it to the G4. I'm not sure where exactly he's seeing the G4 including more fine detail than the S6 because I'm seeing the complete opposite in those pics. Same goes for color. Granted, I do not have a baseline of the actual scene to compare it to, but the G4 colors appear odd to me. The sky seems to have a purple tinge, especially in #1 and #3. the G4 pics also look like they have this dull patina over them all.

Take another look at #4 and #5. The S6 has captured way more detail here. Look especially at the green leaves in the foreground and the grassy stalks in the background. The G4's are blurred.

Russ, are you SURE of the order you placed those pics? S6 left and G4 on the right? Because everything looks completely opposite to your statements! I'm being totally serious here, this has to be a mistake. How can this remotely even be considered trounced when the S6 left side images are clearly the best in almost every case?
    08-21-2015 12:59 PM
    I'm with you on this one. Either Russell Holly needs to get his eyes checked or I do because in most of the cases where he has awarded the win to the G4 I took a look at the images myself and would've handed it to the S6 easily. For example look at the last image of the low light android mascots. The LG and OP lenses were unable to capture most of the background in those lighting conditions. This is where most phone cams fall flat on their face, and the S6 doesn't fail here. I agree that without flash the G4 shot looks better.

I also disagree with his detail statements awarding it to the G4. I'm not sure where exactly he's seeing the G4 including more fine detail than the S6 because I'm seeing the complete opposite in those pics. Same goes for color. Granted, I do not have a baseline of the actual scene to compare it to, but the G4 colors appear odd to me. The sky seems to have a purple tinge, especially in #1 and #3. the G4 pics also look like they have this dull patina over them all.

Take another look at #4 and #5. The S6 has captured way more detail here. Look especially at the green leaves in the foreground and the grassy stalks in the background. The G4's are blurred.

Russ, are you SURE of the order you placed those pics? S6 left and G4 on the right? Because everything looks completely opposite to your statements! I'm being totally serious here, this has to be a mistake. How can this remotely even be considered trounced when the S6 left side images are clearly the best in almost every case?
    Curious how you viewed the photos. OP stated he viewed them on a monitor. I viewed them on a 2014 moto X, AMOLED screen, and tend to agree with you. I'm assuming it's a screen issue.

08-21-2015 04:37 PM
    Curious how you viewed the photos. OP stated he viewed them on a monitor. I viewed them on a 2014 moto X, AMOLED screen, and tend to agree with you. I'm assuming it's a screen issue.

28" monitor
    08-21-2015 06:41 PM
    It would be nice if people who did these smartphone camera comparisons didn't simply place the pictures from each phone side by side. Comparing all of them to a reference shot taken with a far superior DSLR would certainly help to substantiate claims about which smartphone camera was "obviously" more color accurate or "clearly" better at capturing fine details.
    diesel97 and thejesse like this.
    08-22-2015 12:46 AM
32 12