LG G4 Camera Just TROUNCED the S6 and OP2 - What you got Moto?

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Camera Showdown: OnePlus 2 vs LG G4 vs Galaxy S6 | Android Central

While they possibly look the best on a small phone screen, the colors on the OP2 are WAY off, given that the G4 and S6 color reproductions are basically a known quantity. So, if we're looking for the best phone to share on twitter - the OP2 may have won that due to the added saturation and color enhancements that they seem to be adding in post - but what's actually the best camera? G4 looks to still be king.

Moto, you said you're bringing it and early reviews put you in the top 3. Well, OP2 tried and while they got some good looking shots, they didn't kill any flagships. Are you going to outdo this performance?

somdave2005

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
Interesting to see how the Moto X style will perform. That's why I'm anxiously waiting for reviews to come out

Posted via the Android Central App

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Interesting to see how the Moto X style will perform. That's why I'm anxiously waiting for reviews to come out

I don't expect it to be the best by any means, but I'm pretty excited to find out if the hype about being a "top 3" or whatever is real.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I sure hope they bring it. I will be one of the earlier adopters of the phone so we shall see ! :).

thejesse

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site

While they possibly look the best on a small phone screen, the colors on the OP2 are WAY off, given that the G4 and S6 color reproductions are basically a known quantity. So, if we're looking for the best phone to share on twitter - the OP2 may have won that due to the added saturation and color enhancements that they seem to be adding in post - but what's actually the best camera? G4 looks to still be king.

Moto, you said you're bringing it and early reviews put you in the top 3. Well, OP2 tried and while they got some good looking shots, they didn't kill any flagships. Are you going to outdo this performance?

I'm not sure you read the article: "So which camera is the best? There's no clear answer here."

"As for the OnePlus 2, it's a great all around camera that sits somewhere in between these two heavyweights, which is a big win for OnePlus."

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure you read the article: "So which camera is the best? There's no clear answer here."

"As for the OnePlus 2, it's a great all around camera that sits somewhere in between these two heavyweights, which is a big win for OnePlus."

Yeah, the conclusion states this - however reading the details on every photo had the LG as the most accurate, though lacking a little detail across the board.

eao1991

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, the conclusion states this - however reading the details on every photo had the LG as the most accurate, though lacking a little detail across the board.

That really just comes down to user preference. Some people value an accurate color reproduction, while others like a photo that pops, even if the colors aren't true to life.

Posted via the AC app

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
That really just comes down to user preference. Some people value an accurate color reproduction, while others like a photo that pops, even if the colors aren't true to life.

Posted via the AC app

Sure, maybe - the impression I'm getting is that photography buffs are going to want to start with accurate and edit to their liking - as it's almost impossible to get to "accurate" starting from edited.

eao1991

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
Sure, maybe - the impression I'm getting is that photography buffs are going to want to start with accurate and edit to their liking - as it's almost impossible to get to "accurate" starting from edited.

Photography buffs are going to value more accurate colors. They're also more likely to use manual mode rather than leaving it up to the software to decide in Auto mode. As I stated, it all depends on the user. Russell didn't declare a winner, yet some people in the comment section have chosen their winner since preferences vary. There's clearly a guy in that comment section that also values color accuracy and below him was another commenter that likes the processed images of the S6 since, to quote him, they're more "visually appealing". Russell did right in not choosing a winner since it's pretty close depending on what people prefer.

Posted via the AC app

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site

I'll be more than happy if it's on par with the iPhone ... I pay 0 attention to marketing claims. It doesn't matter what they say, the proof is in the pudding, and even if the camera sucks, there's no way they're gonna say it. I'm in sales and marketing though so I know the deal (not that I think you have to be in that industry to "get it").

RapidTurtle

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
I'm just looking for a camera on a phone that takes a decent shot in auto, and if indoors, doesn't come out all grainy. We were at a restaurant the other night and I snapped a shot with my 2nd Gen moto x and then one with my son's iPhone 6 plus. The moto was very grainy, while the iphone shot looked great. I've read that IOS helps with low light shots, so I'm disappointed the new moto didn't include it.

cwise222

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
The S6 and G4 are pretty much the best and evenly matched when it comes to camera phones and I don't think Motorola is going to going to endanger that standing. It's a $400 phone running stock Android, I wouldn't expect S6 and G4 levels of quality; no matter the marketing fluff. It's a matter of personal taste to. I thought a good chunk of the G4 pictures where just not that great and the S6 took better pictures.

I'm sure Motorola has gotten to the point where it is a good camera but nothing earth shattering. I don't doubt that I'll be happy with it considering I used to have an M8 and was fine with that camera despite it being rather meh.

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
The S6 and G4 are pretty much the best and evenly matched when it comes to camera phones and I don't think Motorola is going to going to endanger that standing. It's a $400 phone running stock Android, I wouldn't expect S6 and G4 levels of quality; no matter the marketing fluff. It's a matter of personal taste to. I thought a good chunk of the G4 pictures where just not that great and the S6 took better pictures.

I'm sure Motorola has gotten to the point where it is a good camera but nothing earth shattering. I don't doubt that I'll be happy with it considering I used to have an M8 and was fine with that camera despite it being rather meh.

I think your assessment is extremely reasonable. completely agree.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

This is what I'm assuming is true also, but there is hope given the reviewers putting it on par with the Note 4.... I'm definitely skeptical.

mookiekillsit

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
I don't expect it to be the best by any means, but I'm pretty excited to find out if the hype about being a "top 3" or whatever is real.

This is where I'm at. If Moto can at least compete, I'm OK w/ it. LG absolutely brings it w/ their cameras much like Sammy and for the price, I don't think we can expect Moto to be on par but if it's close, sign me up............ after I see what the new Nexuses are going to bring :)

mookiekillsit

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site

Posted via the AC app

I can't see why anyone wouldn't want accurate to start and perform editing if they wish for it to pop. I do LOVE that my Note 4 sharpens every picture automatically. I know some people hate that but I guess they hate detail and clarity. I dunno.

thejesse

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site

Interesting conclusion considering this thread links to an article that rates the OnePlus 2 camera between the g4 and the gs6.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech