09-05-2015 09:04 PM
72 123
tools
    I think Motorola has always had a slight battery-life advantage over the other OEMs due to typically having the best RADIO's. Weak signal strength, as you mentioned, is one of the biggest killers of your battery. However, other than this advantage, I don't think Moto has ever had a secret recipe for battery success. When the Moto X 2014 came out people were extremely concerned over it's smaller than average battery (for a 5"+ HD screen and a Snapdragon 801), when compared to the other 2014 flagships. People found out that the battery life was 'OKAY' and sufficient to last a day of moderate/light use, but noone ever claimed it was stellar.

This is why the 3000mah battery in the Style/PE concerns me. They've gone up to a whopping 5.7" QHD screen, and an 808 processor that is used in the LG G4. The LG G4's battery isn't stellar, and it has a smaller 5.5" QHD screen. Really, I don't think we can all say with any certainty that a slimmer UI (pure Android) will give a push to battery life versus what the LG G4 has proven.
    08-24-2015 10:25 AM
    I do agree with you in fact if you go to an LG G4 forum and there are a lot of users cursing the battery life, I recently bought the LG G3 which has a Quad display a 5.5" screen and a 3000mh battery and my sot was three hours at best and the LG G4 isn't much better but the G3 was shocking and there weren't any apps sucking it dry it was just drained by that display and I know people say drop the brightness but I like a bright screen so I just couldn't cope with it so I sold it and that is what worries me about the style and the reason I will probably buy the play.
    08-24-2015 12:10 PM
    I think Motorola had a really huge opportunity to differentiate themselves from the pack this year, and they failed. And I'm saying this even before the 'Style' has come out. If you peruse any of the other flagship forums (S6, M9, LG G4, etc...) one common thread are the complaints about battery life with all phones straight out of the box, and that numerous tweaks are needed to get it good. It seems that 3-4 hours of screen-on-time is all that anyone expects if you're a heavy user. Quick charge and the ability to go 24 hours seems to be the only parameter the OEMs are following these days. Are the people that want 5-8 hours of SoT really a small/niche demographic??

So here we are with the Moto-X Style. In a sea of quad-HD Android handsets, they had the ability to separate themselves from the other OEMs by putting a larger (Droid Turbo-level) battery in a phone, and what do they do? They put in the smallest battery amongst all 5.7"+ phones. (Note 4, Note 3, Nexus 6) I know I'm not mentioning the Note 5's battery. You can copy/paste this rant into that forum and it will apply.

When the 'Style' finally drops, I can't wait for that initial thread created in this forum that will list all the things to TURN OFF on this phone in order to get decent battery life.

You dropped the ball, Motorola. Looks like you had the right idea with the Moto X Play... but it's not a flagship, and the sweet kicker... not sold in the USA. I'd really like to punch your marketing and product managers in their collective mouths....
    Can you post some screenshots with the results of the battery life you got today?
    Linebarrel86 likes this.
    08-24-2015 04:18 PM
    Battery life will be a major determinant for me, especially without a removable battery.
    08-24-2015 05:04 PM
    Can you post some screenshots with the results of the battery life you got today?
    I'm currently using an LG G4. I'll freely admit that I average 3 hours SoT daily. And I'll also admit that I expect/want more battery life with every new generation of phones. I'm not sure why so many of you are so quick to 'settle' and not hold the OEM's accountable. On certain days, my usage patterns are totally dictated by that SoT battery life. Today, I was in the carpool line to pick up my daughter. I was down to 50% battery due to the fact my workplace has horrible reception where I sit. I was getting into a game as I sat there in my car, but knew I had to stop playing because I needed the extra juice to take me the rest of the evening (more kid chauffeuring). Doesn't happen every day, but like I said my usage is handcuffed by my mediocre battery life.
    ewak12321 likes this.
    08-24-2015 05:27 PM
    I'm currently using an LG G4. I'll freely admit that I average 3 hours SoT daily. And I'll also admit that I expect/want more battery life with every new generation of phones. I'm not sure why so many of you are so quick to 'settle' and not hold the OEM's accountable. On certain days, my usage patterns are totally dictated by that SoT battery life. Today, I was in the carpool line to pick up my daughter. I was down to 50% battery due to the fact my workplace has horrible reception where I sit. I was getting into a game as I sat there in my car, but knew I had to stop playing because I needed the extra juice to take me the rest of the evening (more kid chauffeuring). Doesn't happen every day, but like I said my usage is handcuffed by my mediocre battery life.
    Oh. I thought your OP about how battery life on the X was based on conclusions drawn from having owned and used it. Sorry for the confusion, nevermind
    08-24-2015 05:39 PM
    Why didn't you just plug your phone into the car charger?

I know all too well how long a carpool line can be at an elementary school. :-)
    dmark44 likes this.
    08-24-2015 05:42 PM
    Some early reviews are saying the battery life isn't that great.. They said it is average.. So my question is how bad is average. 3 hours screen on time? My nexus 5 has atrocious battery life so it couldn't possibly be worse then that....
    09-03-2015 08:01 PM
    More of the reviews say it does last a full day than those who say it's a problem. Some have even said they got 6 hours of SOT. I'll be happy to get 4 hours, considering the fast charging capability is included.
    09-03-2015 08:03 PM
    Battery life is dependent on you, the user. Heavy usage will drain the battery while light use will not. You know yourself and what type of a user you are (heavy/light). I don't depend on someone's review to know how I use my phone/gadget.

So no, I'm not concern about the battery per how I use my device.
    09-03-2015 08:18 PM
    No worry here. My rule is to keep it plugged in whenever possible. Charger at home and in the car, and the USB port on my work PC. For out and about times I keep a battery pack close.
    09-03-2015 08:21 PM
    Having had the first gen (bad) and second gen (worse), I'm plenty worried about the battery. However, that didn't stop me from ordering one. Quick charging helps.

Posted via the Android Central App
    09-03-2015 08:30 PM
    I've been pretty excited about this phone, but battery life is going to be my biggest deciding factor. Not going to buy it if it struggles to top 3 hours of screen time on average for me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
    ewak12321 likes this.
    09-03-2015 08:42 PM
    More of the reviews say it does last a full day than those who say it's a problem. Some have even said they got 6 hours of OST. I'll be happy to get 4 hours, considering the fast charging capability is included.
    I've only read a few reviews, both said about 4 hours SOT which sounds about right. haven't heard 6 yet. too bad they didn't use larger batteries like in the Force and Play. I assume it was done intentionally due to the Turbo/Maxx and their relationship with Verizon in the US. Could be wrong but until I hear otherwise that makes most sense to me.

Great phone though. I'm on the fence and will ultimately grab this or a Nexus. I'd love if that Force comes straight from Moto in the US and VZ leaves their hands off it ... don't see that happening though!
    09-03-2015 08:52 PM
    Not in the least.

Battery varies by user, signal strength, brightness settings and etc....

I'll be my own judge on battery life.

That said, my Nexus 5 had the worst battery of any phone I've ever owned.
    ewak12321 likes this.
    09-03-2015 09:03 PM
    Any regular charger will work also right? like my old nexus 5 charger of my turbo charger isn't available.. And regular car chargers that don't have quick charge
    09-03-2015 09:18 PM
    Not in the least.

Battery varies by user, signal strength, brightness settings and etc....

I'll be my own judge on battery life.

That said, my Nexus 5 had the worst battery of any phone I've ever owned.
    Yes I can agree with that the nexus 5 battery was absolutely awful
    09-03-2015 09:19 PM
    I've only read a few reviews, both said about 4 hours SOT which sounds about right. haven't heard 6 yet. too bad they didn't use larger batteries like in the Force and Play. I assume it was done intentionally due to the Turbo/Maxx and their relationship with Verizon in the US. Could be wrong but until I hear otherwise that makes most sense to me.

Great phone though. I'm on the fence and will ultimately grab this or a Nexus. I'd love if that Force comes straight from Moto in the US and VZ leaves their hands off it ... don't see that happening though!
    Bloomberg said six hours.

Even when shooting the video review above, I got nearly six hours with the screen on the entire time.
    Considering the nearly perfect enhancements to stock Android without subverting it in any way, I'm more than satisfied with the Moto experience. This especially considering the standard list of bugs that Nexus users have to tolerate with initial releases. I'm more than happy to be just a tiny bit behind the curve with regard to version releases while enjoying the enhancements offered by Moto. Moto is an improved Nexus experience for me.
    09-03-2015 09:26 PM
    The battery life is the one thing holding me back until I read some user experiences as I had a G3 with the same screen and battery and that was truly awful for sot.
    09-04-2015 01:58 AM
    Bloomberg said six hours.

Considering the nearly perfect enhancements to stock Android without subverting it in any way, I'm more than satisfied with the Moto experience. This especially considering the standard list of bugs that Nexus users have to tolerate with initial releases. I'm more than happy to be just a tiny bit behind the curve with regard to version releases while enjoying the enhancements offered by Moto. Moto is an improved Nexus experience for me.
    yeah I used the moto x 2013 for about 2 weeks and absolutely loved it. I was also using, and still am, my nexus 4 and I agree with you. the software enhancements by moto is perfect.
    09-04-2015 05:21 AM
    It's articles like that Bloomberg one that gets everyone arguing. They make it sound like battery life isn't a concern at all... almost even a plus.

From what I hear about Android M's Doze feature on the N5, it DRASTICALLY improves battery life (at least when screen is off).

Android M: Nexus 5 Doze battery test delivers amazing performance | BGR

"The Nexus 5 running Android 5.1.1, lost 4% of battery life after 8 hours, 12% after 24 hours and 24% after 48 hours. Meanwhile, the Nexus 5 running Android M lost 1.5% of its charge after 8 hours, 4.5% after 24 hours and 9.0% after 48 hours."
    jephanie likes this.
    09-04-2015 07:30 AM
    Some early reviews are saying the battery life isn't that great.. They said it is average.. So my question is how bad is average. 3 hours screen on time? My nexus 5 has atrocious battery life so it couldn't possibly be worse then that....
    Average is being generous, based on initial reviews. I am holding out for Anandtech, Gsmarena and Display Mate. Their reviews tend to be more thorough than others. Seems battery life though is significantly less than the Note 4 and Note 5 and likely due to the display choice.
    09-04-2015 07:40 AM
    It's articles like that Bloomberg one that gets everyone arguing. They make it sound like battery life isn't a concern at all... almost even a plus.

From what I hear about Android M's Doze feature on the N5, it DRASTICALLY improves battery life (at least when screen is off).

Android M: Nexus 5 Doze battery test delivers amazing performance | BGR

"The Nexus 5 running Android 5.1.1, lost 4% of battery life after 8 hours, 12% after 24 hours and 24% after 48 hours. Meanwhile, the Nexus 5 running Android M lost 1.5% of its charge after 8 hours, 4.5% after 24 hours and 9.0% after 48 hours."
    Those marginal improvements do not help though with screen on time and really only if you leave your device off with some background tasks. Not seeing the value for people that actually use the device with display on. M is not in any stretch a magic battery bullet and Android team was leaking legends about Lollipop and we know how that has turned out.

No software will compensate much for a display while on. Added: For that matter the Note 4 has an ultra power saver option that does the same thing for battery life. Switch it to that while sleep mode and it bleeds less than 5% in 24 hours. No M needed.
    09-04-2015 07:47 AM
    Those marginal improvements do not help though with screen on time and really only if you leave your device off with some background tasks. Not seeing the value for people that actually use the device with display on. M is not in any stretch a magic battery bullet and Android team was leaking legends about Lollipop and we know how that has turned out.

No software will compensate for a display if it is a power hog and you intend to use the device with the display actually on.
    Yes, I get it... but 5 hours of SOT is not straight. You don't wake up at 7am and use the phone straight and it's dead by noon. If there are periods throughout the day where you have the screen off sitting on your desk or a table, those periods will drain slower with Doze... getting you through more of the day.
    09-04-2015 07:49 AM
    Yes, I get it... but 5 hours of SOT is not straight. You don't wake up at 7am and use the phone straight and it's dead by noon. If there are periods throughout the day where you have the screen off sitting on your desk or a table, those periods will drain slower with Doze... getting you through more of the day.
    Ultra power save mode already provides such savings while asleep on the Note 4 and a simple flick of the top of the display to turn it off (and 15 seconds to un-ultra). All my verbose point was is the key killer is the display, so if a light to medium user the Moto X Pure will be fine, but heavier users expecting Note 4/5 battery life will probably be disappointed.

The least subjective tests for battery life are the endurance tests and are good indicators for display efficiency. Initial video endurance reviews state two hours less than the G4 which means about four hours less than the Note 4/5 (they are two hours longer than the G4). Key word is INITIAL reviews, since need to see more to confirm.

Another point as folks mentioned is relative brightness. 50% on the Moto X Pure could be a lot brighter than 50% on another device. We need measurements of brightness and the devices adjusted accordingly. Anandtech and Display Mate as example test this way.

Added: Doze though would be less intrusive and quicker than ultra mode on the Note- it shuts a bunch of stuff down.
    09-04-2015 07:59 AM
72 123