Moto X Style/Moto X Pure Edition: Battery Life Predictions

ewak12321

Nov 13, 2013
plus.google.com
Re: Is Battery Life Not Important?

I saw that Play have 5-7 h sot under mid-heavy use that's amazing but it has no gyroscope. I hope that Style have it

Wysłane z mojego GT-I9295 przy użyciu Tapatalka

bpe4

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site

I'm with you, Andy. I'm not a huge game player, but even so I think the Play (i.e. Droid Maxx 2) will have a sufficient quad core cpu to handle most anything.

The specs of the Play/Maxx2 seem perfect for my usage, and I'm concerned the pure edition will be just too big. I'm just happy it seems the Play will be available to vzw folk. 5.5" HD screen (not qhd), quad core, 32gb+ storage, big battery, and wireless charging is a perfect combo in my eyes.

Unobtanium

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site

If you want verizon branding, bloat, locked bootloader, no customization, and 6+ month delays on updates. It could easily be next summer before there are any serious updates to a new verizon branded phone.

I am also on verizon and liked the turbo. But I would hardly consider the turbo an upgrade to an unlocked moto x (personally).

This was my initial reaction as well. If I wasn't on a grandfathered UDP and/or needed to do monthly payments, I might wait.

Posted via the Android Central App

adamgalas1

Jul 31, 2015
Visit site

Two things about the turbo 2.

Assuming you are OK with the higher cost of Verizon and the tyranny of what they do to customer phones on their networks:

1. Droid Maxx had legit 2 day battery life on 3600 mAh battery.

2. Turbo had 3900 mAh battery and claimed 2 day battery life but really got 1.5.

So if turbo 2 wants to retake the throne of longest battery life it will need to really up the battery size especially if the rumors about it being based on x pure are true.

Screen will be. 5 inches bigger and so on order to beat the current battery champ that is. Z3s 2 day battery life we need to see a 4500 mAh battery of we want to see 2.5 days.

I don't think that will happen.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

mAh is not directly correlated to battery life. Moto has shown great battery life with smaller batteries than the competition while others have shown mediocre performance with huge batteries compared to others. There are a lot of factors, to quote my signature and thus moto:

Actual battery performance will vary and depends on many factors including signal strength, network configuration, age of battery, operating temperature, features selected, device settings (including screen brightness), and voice, data and other application usage patterns.

sent via Nexus Assassin Edition. Gonfaloniere.

bpe4

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site

I think Motorola has always had a slight battery-life advantage over the other OEMs due to typically having the best RADIO's. Weak signal strength, as you mentioned, is one of the biggest killers of your battery. However, other than this advantage, I don't think Moto has ever had a secret recipe for battery success. When the Moto X 2014 came out people were extremely concerned over it's smaller than average battery (for a 5"+ HD screen and a Snapdragon 801), when compared to the other 2014 flagships. People found out that the battery life was 'OKAY' and sufficient to last a day of moderate/light use, but noone ever claimed it was stellar.

This is why the 3000mah battery in the Style/PE concerns me. They've gone up to a whopping 5.7" QHD screen, and an 808 processor that is used in the LG G4. The LG G4's battery isn't stellar, and it has a smaller 5.5" QHD screen. Really, I don't think we can all say with any certainty that a slimmer UI (pure Android) will give a push to battery life versus what the LG G4 has proven.

andy a

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site

I do agree with you in fact if you go to an LG G4 forum and there are a lot of users cursing the battery life, I recently bought the LG G3 which has a Quad display a 5.5" screen and a 3000mh battery and my sot was three hours at best and the LG G4 isn't much better but the G3 was shocking and there weren't any apps sucking it dry it was just drained by that display and I know people say drop the brightness but I like a bright screen so I just couldn't cope with it so I sold it and that is what worries me about the style and the reason I will probably buy the play.

syspry

Banned
Apr 6, 2015
Visit site

I think Motorola had a really huge opportunity to differentiate themselves from the pack this year, and they failed. And I'm saying this even before the 'Style' has come out. If you peruse any of the other flagship forums (S6, M9, LG G4, etc...) one common thread are the complaints about battery life with all phones straight out of the box, and that numerous tweaks are needed to get it good. It seems that 3-4 hours of screen-on-time is all that anyone expects if you're a heavy user. Quick charge and the ability to go 24 hours seems to be the only parameter the OEMs are following these days. Are the people that want 5-8 hours of SoT really a small/niche demographic??

So here we are with the Moto-X Style. In a sea of quad-HD Android handsets, they had the ability to separate themselves from the other OEMs by putting a larger (Droid Turbo-level) battery in a phone, and what do they do? They put in the smallest battery amongst all 5.7"+ phones. (Note 4, Note 3, Nexus 6) I know I'm not mentioning the Note 5's battery. You can copy/paste this rant into that forum and it will apply.

When the 'Style' finally drops, I can't wait for that initial thread created in this forum that will list all the things to TURN OFF on this phone in order to get decent battery life.

You dropped the ball, Motorola. Looks like you had the right idea with the Moto X Play... but it's not a flagship, and the sweet kicker... not sold in the USA. I'd really like to punch your marketing and product managers in their collective mouths....
Can you post some screenshots with the results of the battery life you got today?

bpe4

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site

Can you post some screenshots with the results of the battery life you got today?

I'm currently using an LG G4. I'll freely admit that I average 3 hours SoT daily. And I'll also admit that I expect/want more battery life with every new generation of phones. I'm not sure why so many of you are so quick to 'settle' and not hold the OEM's accountable. On certain days, my usage patterns are totally dictated by that SoT battery life. Today, I was in the carpool line to pick up my daughter. I was down to 50% battery due to the fact my workplace has horrible reception where I sit. I was getting into a game as I sat there in my car, but knew I had to stop playing because I needed the extra juice to take me the rest of the evening (more kid chauffeuring). Doesn't happen every day, but like I said my usage is handcuffed by my mediocre battery life.

syspry

Banned
Apr 6, 2015
Visit site

I'm currently using an LG G4. I'll freely admit that I average 3 hours SoT daily. And I'll also admit that I expect/want more battery life with every new generation of phones. I'm not sure why so many of you are so quick to 'settle' and not hold the OEM's accountable. On certain days, my usage patterns are totally dictated by that SoT battery life. Today, I was in the carpool line to pick up my daughter. I was down to 50% battery due to the fact my workplace has horrible reception where I sit. I was getting into a game as I sat there in my car, but knew I had to stop playing because I needed the extra juice to take me the rest of the evening (more kid chauffeuring). Doesn't happen every day, but like I said my usage is handcuffed by my mediocre battery life.
Oh. I thought your OP about how battery life on the X was based on conclusions drawn from having owned and used it. Sorry for the confusion, nevermind

anon(469638)

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site

Why didn't you just plug your phone into the car charger?

I know all too well how long a carpool line can be at an elementary school. :)

mvasquez009

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
Anyone worried about the pure editions battery?

Some early reviews are saying the battery life isn't that great.. They said it is average.. So my question is how bad is average. 3 hours screen on time? My nexus 5 has atrocious battery life so it couldn't possibly be worse then that....

jephanie

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
Re: Anyone worried about the pure editions battery?

More of the reviews say it does last a full day than those who say it's a problem. Some have even said they got 6 hours of SOT. I'll be happy to get 4 hours, considering the fast charging capability is included.

Last edited:

Samsung.Galaxy.S3

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site

Battery life is dependent on you, the user. Heavy usage will drain the battery while light use will not. You know yourself and what type of a user you are (heavy/light). I don't depend on someone's review to know how I use my phone/gadget.

So no, I'm not concern about the battery per how I use my device.

312MotoGus

Aug 17, 2015
Visit site

No worry here. My rule is to keep it plugged in whenever possible. Charger at home and in the car, and the USB port on my work PC. For out and about times I keep a battery pack close.

thejesse

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site

Having had the first gen (bad) and second gen (worse), I'm plenty worried about the battery. However, that didn't stop me from ordering one. Quick charging helps.

Posted via the Android Central App

derekeh

Feb 23, 2013
Visit site

I've been pretty excited about this phone, but battery life is going to be my biggest deciding factor. Not going to buy it if it struggles to top 3 hours of screen time on average for me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
More of the reviews say it does last a full day than those who say it's a problem. Some have even said they got 6 hours of OST. I'll be happy to get 4 hours, considering the fast charging capability is included.

I've only read a few reviews, both said about 4 hours SOT which sounds about right. haven't heard 6 yet. too bad they didn't use larger batteries like in the Force and Play. I assume it was done intentionally due to the Turbo/Maxx and their relationship with Verizon in the US. Could be wrong but until I hear otherwise that makes most sense to me.

Great phone though. I'm on the fence and will ultimately grab this or a Nexus. I'd love if that Force comes straight from Moto in the US and VZ leaves their hands off it ... don't see that happening though!

anon(469638)

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site

Not in the least.

Battery varies by user, signal strength, brightness settings and etc....

I'll be my own judge on battery life.

That said, my Nexus 5 had the worst battery of any phone I've ever owned.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coehlcke