Moto X Style/Moto X Pure Edition: Battery Life Predictions

bpe4

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
I think Motorola had a really huge opportunity to differentiate themselves from the pack this year, and they failed. And I'm saying this even before the 'Style' has come out. If you peruse any of the other flagship forums (S6, M9, LG G4, etc...) one common thread are the complaints about battery life with all phones straight out of the box, and that numerous tweaks are needed to get it good. It seems that 3-4 hours of screen-on-time is all that anyone expects if you're a heavy user. Quick charge and the ability to go 24 hours seems to be the only parameter the OEMs are following these days. Are the people that want 5-8 hours of SoT really a small/niche demographic??

So here we are with the Moto-X Style. In a sea of quad-HD Android handsets, they had the ability to separate themselves from the other OEMs by putting a larger (Droid Turbo-level) battery in a phone, and what do they do? They put in the smallest battery amongst all 5.7"+ phones. (Note 4, Note 3, Nexus 6) I know I'm not mentioning the Note 5's battery. You can copy/paste this rant into that forum and it will apply.

When the 'Style' finally drops, I can't wait for that initial thread created in this forum that will list all the things to TURN OFF on this phone in order to get decent battery life.

You dropped the ball, Motorola. Looks like you had the right idea with the Moto X Play... but it's not a flagship, and the sweet kicker... not sold in the USA. I'd really like to punch your marketing and product managers in their collective mouths....

Last edited:

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Re: Is Battery Life Not Important?

I'm not so sure there may be a battery life problem. When the Moto X 2013 was released, it had a smaller battery than most of it's other competitors, but had equivalent battery life in most cases. Moto optimized the software to the point where a large battery wasn't needed. Now I will admit, the larger screen at a higher resolution doesn't help matters much, but it still remains to be seen if it will have an adverse effect on overall battery life.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

I am sure they care about it and we will have to see. As you can see from Samsung they dropped the Note 5 battery and even sealed it in versus the last year model but people are reporting good things. The size of a battery definitely can be a factor but if the software is up to par it will only sip instead of chug :).

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site

The 2015 moto g gets 6 hours of SOT, pointing to some kind of optimizations moto implemented. Maybe they will work the same magic on the MXPE?

bpe4

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site

The 2015 moto g gets 6 hours of SOT, pointing to some kind of optimizations moto implemented. Maybe they will work the same magic on the MXPE?

Well... not a very good comparison because the Style's 3000mah battery has to push a very large 'QHD' screen (the Moto G is not even HD) and a much faster CPU. Perhaps you're right; Moto may have found some secret sauce that has alluded Samsung, HTC, and LG (however, I'm skeptical).

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

Moto may have found some secret sauce that has alluded Samsung, HTC, and LG (however, I'm skeptical).

Something to consider is this: Samsung and LG have a lot of extra stuff going on in the background. TW isn't exactly the lightest version of Android.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

The vast majority of the battery life reviews in the note 5 forum points to 5 hours plus in a normal daily usage. Obviously the Moto X could be different, but it is possible for a 3000mah battery to get 5 hours SOT plus.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 5

anon(469638)

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site

My lord....

How can you possibly complain about something you or anyone else has had a chance to test?

Clearly you don't know how smartphones/hardware/software works.

When things are optimized, the actual cell of the battery doesn't have to increase. The iPhone is an excellent example of this. It has an extremely small battery, yet has battery life equal to most normal sized Android phones.

Granted, it's running iOS, but the point still applies.

The original Moto X had good battery life, despite having a small cell. Motorola spent time optimizing the hell out of that old CPU and with really good results.

My point is this: stop complaining that having a giant battery is all that's required to get great battery life. You haven't used the phone yet.

Hell, even if it did have a 4000-5000mh battery, it wouldn't be a guarantee that its would have great battery life. You as the user would simply use the phone even more just because you know it has the potential to last longer.

bpe4

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site

My lord....

How can you possibly complain about something you or anyone else has had a chance to test?

Clearly you don't know how smartphones/hardware/software works.

When things are optimized, the actual cell of the battery doesn't have to increase. The iPhone is an excellent example of this. It has an extremely small battery, yet has battery life equal to most normal sized Android phones.

Granted, it's running iOS, but the point still applies.

The original Moto X had good battery life, despite having a small cell. Motorola spent time optimizing the hell out of that old CPU and with really good results.

My point is this: stop complaining that having a giant battery is all that's required to get great battery life. You haven't used the phone yet.

Hell, even if it did have a 4000-5000mh battery, it wouldn't be a guarantee that its would have great battery life. You as the user would simply use the phone even more just because you know it has the potential to last longer.

Clearly you've been living under a rock the past year. Google has zero stake in optimizing what they do. Do you honestly believe they'll dial back the number of services they want the phones to sync? It's only going to increase as time goes by. Android M will do nothing but give the user more granularity in controlling what stays awake, what syncs, etc... The OEMs are at the mercy of Android; there's only so much they can do to optimize battery life. Apple's IOS has the best standby battery time in the business because they know how to limit what needs to sync and what doesn't, and their 'controlled' hardware is perfectly married with the OS. SoT, however is about the same with iPhones and competing Android phones. Unfortunately, today's screen technology (AMOLED, TFT LCD) drains as fast as you set your brightness. In this case, all the optimizing in the world won't do a darn thing. A bigger battery is the only thing that effects this.

So yes, LineBarrel, I fully understand how these things work. It's just my 'subjective' opinion that brute force (larger battery) is needed in the current Android handsets. Design aesthetics are trumping practicality. OEMs believe thinner/lighter is better. This won't change unless more people ask for function over design.

In terms of the reason for this thread in the first place... I'm only slamming the Moto X 'Style'/Pure Edition. In contrast, I think the Moto X Play is close to what I consider a perfect design. (Moderate/sufficient screen, decent CPU, and LARGE battery). If it ever will be available in the US, I'm all over it.

Last edited:

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Mod Note - Let us be civil with this discussion and not take it to insults / trolling.

Thanks.

anon(469638)

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site

Clearly you've been living under a rock the past year. Google has zero stake in optimizing what they do. Do you honestly believe they'll dial back the number of services they want the phones to sync? It's only going to increase as time goes by. Android M will do nothing but give the user more granularity in controlling what stays awake, what syncs, etc... The OEMs are at the mercy of Android; there's only so much they can do to optimize battery life. Apple's IOS has the best standby battery time in the business because they know how to limit what needs to sync and what doesn't, and their 'controlled' hardware is perfectly married with the OS. SoT, however is about the same with iPhones and competing Android phones. Unfortunately, today's screen technology (AMOLED, TFT LCD) drains as fast as you set your brightness. In this case, all the optimizing in the world won't do a darn thing. A bigger battery is the only thing that effects this.

So yes, LineBarrel, I fully understand how these things work. It's just my 'subjective' opinion that brute force (larger battery) is needed in the current Android handsets. Design aesthetics are trumping practicality. OEMs believe thinner/lighter is better. This won't change unless more people ask for function over design.

In terms of the reason for this thread in the first place... I'm only slamming the Moto X 'Style'/Pure Edition. In contrast, I think the Moto X Play is close to what I consider a perfect design. (Moderate/sufficient screen, decent CPU, and LARGE battery). If it ever will be available in the US, I'm all over it.

I apologize for my overreaction.

I simply find it strange for some to assume the worse when we have no basis for it yet.

Just don't write Motorola off yet.

Samsung has an equal sized battery in its Note 5 and most reviews state it has better battery life. I'd imagine that the Moto XPE would do just as well or better without the additional loaded skin that Samsung employs.

Rocketsaucev2

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site

I apologize for my overreaction.

I simply find it strange for some to assume the worse when we have no basis for it yet.

Just don't write Motorola off yet.

Samsung has an equal sized battery in its Note 5 and most reviews state it has better battery life. I'd imagine that the Moto XPE would do just as well or better without the additional loaded skin that Samsung employs.
Well said

XT1060

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

I expect to have to put the phone on the charger before I go to bed.

If it lasts a day, Motorola did just fine.

Posted via Android Central App (Moto X)

sharkita

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site

I expect to have to put the phone on the charger before I go to bed.

If it lasts a day, Motorola did just fine.

This x 10. I've had zero complaints regarding battery life in either Moto X (13 or 14), and I expect the PE will be just fine. I put my 14 on the charger each night, although I really could go well into the next day before needing to do so, and I carry the Turbo charger with me just in case, and I use my phone a lot. I would rather put my phone on the charger each night than have to carry a brick in my pocket each day.

bpe4

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site

My fears have been misguided. Faith in Motorola restored. All because I'm a long time Verizon subscriber.

http://phandroid.com/2015/08/21/exclusive-moto-x-play-droid-maxx-turbo-2-verizon-wireless/

Apparently, the Moto X Play is coming to the USA as a Verizon exclusive branded as the Droid Maxx 2. And the upcoming Droid Turbo 2 will be a souped up Moto X Style with new screen, wireless charging and most likely a big battery like the current Turbo.

So if you're with Verizon, it makes a ton of sense to wait till the official announcements and hold off on the Style.

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site

My fears have been misguided. Faith in Motorola restored. All because I'm a long time Verizon subscriber.

http://phandroid.com/2015/08/21/exclusive-moto-x-play-droid-maxx-turbo-2-verizon-wireless/

Apparently, the Moto X Play is coming to the USA as a Verizon exclusive branded as the Droid Maxx 2. And the upcoming Droid Turbo 2 will be a souped up Moto X Style with new screen, wireless charging and most likely a big battery like the current Turbo.

So if you're with Verizon, it makes a ton of sense to wait till the official announcements and hold off on the Style.
If you want verizon branding, bloat, locked bootloader, no customization, and 6+ month delays on updates. It could easily be next summer before there are any serious updates to a new verizon branded phone.

I am also on verizon and liked the turbo. But I would hardly consider the turbo an upgrade to an unlocked moto x (personally).

dmark44

Mar 2, 2012
Visit site

I was hoping the Turbo 2 would be a souped up X Play vs the X Style. Sounds like the Maxx 2 will be an X Play with maybe wireless charging added, and not much else.

The X Play is a fine device but I was hoping for that form factor and battery with all of the X Style's features!

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

I was hoping the Turbo 2 would be a souped up X Play vs the X Style. Sounds like the Maxx 2 will be an X Play with maybe wireless charging added, and not much else.

The X Play is a fine device but I was hoping for that form factor and battery with all of the X Style's features!

What features are missing?

dmark44

Mar 2, 2012
Visit site

What features are missing?

Poor wording trying to be brief...I probably should say "specs" rather than features, but the main feature I guess would be the wave to unlock thanks to the extra ir sensors. And by specs, I like the better processor of the Style as well as the 64GB memory option.

andy a

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site

I agree with you as I really fancy either the play or the style but I just slightly prefer the style but the battery is a concern as I recently got an LG3 which I really liked but like the style it had a Quad screen and a 3000 mh battery and the best on screen time I could get was three hours so I sold it, will the style perform better! I would like to think so but I am going to wait to read some user reviews on the battery life.

The play is really tempting me as that size battery with a HD screen should last a good few hours of sot you would imagine, I don't play games on my phone I just use it to watch a bit of Netflix now and then and surf the net so the play would be fine but will the processor be quick enough and I have read that the build quality of the style is better so I just have no idea which one to get 😊

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RemusGhostofRome