Why did they switch from AMOLED to LCD?

thejesse

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
I don't think Motorola gave a reason for making a switch. Consensus seems to be it was cheaper to buy a QHD LCD than to pay Samsung for a QHD AMOLED.

Posted via the Android Central App

ewak12321

Nov 13, 2013
plus.google.com
Less battery drain with white backgrounds (using web and android apps ui is mostly white) amoled screens are using more battery than lcd when bg is not black

Sent from my GT-I9295 using Tapatalk

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
LCD has fewer letters than AMOLED so they didn't have to spend as much money on ink printing the specs.

RHChan84

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Cost and price to the consumers. If the phone was $500, do you think they will sell as much as a phone costing $400. Plus nothing is wrong with LCD.

NicksGarage

May 18, 2010
Visit site
If it's as nice as the screen on my HTC M8, I'll be very happy as this is probably my next phone. I don't care for AMOLED screens.

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
If it's as nice as the screen on my HTC M8, I'll be very happy as this is probably my next phone. I don't care for AMOLED screens.

Interesting you say that. I was noticing how i like my M8 screen better then my M9 screen.
I also like the Note 3/4 screen over the Nexus 6 screen.
Amoled is nice and has its purposes, but also adds significant cost. So with the proper LCD it can still be a great phone.

katesbb

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site
I don't care for AMOLED screens.

I generally always liked LCD screens too, mostly because they tend to be much easier to see in sunlight.

But lately I've grown to appreciate the AMOLED of my 2014 Moto X, and finally started to maybe even prefer it since I'm not using my phone outside very often... and now Moto goes and switches to LCD, lol.

I was kinda hoping they had a reason for it I could appreciate. "It's cheaper" makes sense, but isn't exactly an improvement then ;)

krazyatom

Trusted Member
Jan 4, 2015
Visit site
Super amoled screen on my s6 is so beautiful and i was hoping moto x pure would have amoled screen too. I hope it comes with great LCD.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
So far it seems the LCD on the Moto X might be a power hog, but need reviews from other sites that also do video endurance tests. Two hours less than the already average G4 that only has a .2" smaller display. The G4 was two hours less than the Note 4 and Note 5. That's a huge difference for a non replaceable battery.

Crossing fingers for video endurance reviews that contradict this :)

katesbb

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site
As pretty as AMOLED looks, the screen burn in kills it for me.

What actually happens? What does burn in look like? You mean like the status bar or on-screen buttons remain dimly visible?

The only AMOLED I've owned for a long time was my Razr Maxx HD, which even after 2.5+ years still looks OK... except for maybe a slight yellow-ish tint when viewing whites.

radgatt

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
I was messing around with Moto Maker today and saw this...

attachment.php

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    63.7 KB · Views: 277

Rem3Dy

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
Anything that stays stagnant on the screen can cause burn in. I have observed white objects on a black background are the most probable to cause damage. Usually easiest to see on a pure white screen

Posted via the Android Central App

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylorhudson5670