10-08-2015 07:57 PM
432 ... 89101112 ...
tools
    Can't stand the conversation view of emails in Gmail. I want replies to show in my inbox as a new email not part of the old one.

Posted via the Android Central App
    David Rosen likes this.
    09-08-2015 08:20 PM
    Meh. Phone spec schmoan specs. I would stack straight Android with an 808 and 3GB ram any day over Samsung's UI and bloat and their 7420 and 4GB ram. People rationalize that Nova offsets, but TW still is allocating the resources in the background.

That all said, even straight Android gets slower after Android's regression of usage trends kicks in after a while and impacts all devices. Android has IMO one sucky caching strategy made worse (not better) overall with ART. iOS sadly handles caching and app usage trends much better.

All that garbledeegook aside, I will take a Moto Pure 64GB with sd slot, no app bloat, no bloat UI, no glass case, front stereo speakers for $500 ANY DAY over the Note 5 for $820. Both devices start to slow down as do all Android stock devices over time, but Samsung's UI and bloat weigh it down even more. All 4GB of ram does is give Android's caching more space to load things in.

BTW, the 200GB micro sd was $150 today, so that would make a Moto X "264GB" for $650, verses the 200GB less Note 5 64GB for $820. If you are a cloud lovin' OTG swinging kind of person- good for you, but I'll take the former thank you- for $170 less

Added: On sale at Amazon just for today.
    co.ag.2005 and 312MotoGus like this.
    09-08-2015 09:12 PM
    You can't be serious? I had moto x 2014 and galaxy s6 and s6 is definitely a lot faster device. How do you explain that lg g4 is faster than nearly stock one plus two?

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk
    I went from S6 to Moto X 2014. The S6 was a laggy mess. Brutal to use. For me the Moto X is faster.

09-08-2015 09:45 PM
    A short Engadget review

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=...&v=pLCsZc0mFYg

They like it but say battery life isn't brilliant.
    09-09-2015 02:09 AM
    A short Engadget review

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=...&v=pLCsZc0mFYg

They like it but say battery life isn't brilliant.
    Isn't this just a mini version of their review from last week? Update: Yep it is.

I am pretty much assuming the battery life is going to be weak compared to my Note 4, but want to at least give the device a chance and perhaps prove the assumption wrong. I want to give Moto a chance, but will return it if battery life does not cover my usage for a day. Note 4 does it with no problem at all with the stock battery and 30% left. I use the heck out of my Note 4, BTW.
    09-09-2015 08:01 AM
    This video IMO is one of the more insightful and from a Moto rep at the launch. Not sure how I missed it, but makes me actually want the device more and hoping the battery life pans out. Good rep

09-09-2015 09:16 AM
    This video IMO is one of the more insightful and from a Moto rep at the launch. Not sure how I missed it, but makes me actually want the device more and hoping the battery life pans out. Good rep

Great video and like you I am hoping battery life is good but I am really sceptical about it with that Quad screen and that size battery as my G3 had the same screen/battery and that was awful!
    09-09-2015 09:31 AM

That is a good video! That picture was taken in pretty low light and seemed to look good in the brief time they showed it off.

co.ag.2005 likes this.
    09-09-2015 10:32 AM
    A common phrase I found in most of the reviews for this device was "good enough"

The processor is not great, but it's good enough.

Battery life is not phenomenal, but it's good enough.

The camera, while a massive improvement over previous Moto devices, isn't great, but it's good enough.

I find that I get so close to pulling the trigger and ordering one, staring at that black body with blue accents admiring how good it looks, but I just can't do it...I can't convince myself that I'm not settling for "good enough". The biggest hang up for me is the uncertainty with the camera, and while I'm sure it's improved I just don't trust Moto with it. I'm waiting to see real results from buyers and definitely more low light samples.

What do you folks think? Is the Pure a great device looking towards the future, or is it just something to bridge the short gap until something better comes along?
    kj11 likes this.
    09-09-2015 11:36 AM
    The main competition on a device this size is going to be a combination of the Note 5 and LG G4.

Both will beat it on camera, but no one knows by what margin.

The processor in the Pure is the same as in the G4 but with better software, both are fantastic next to the competition. Until the 820 drops next year, the 808 is the one you want. Remember, performance matters - benchmarks do not.

Battery life is a pretty huge unknown. The battery is the same size in all four devices, YMMV depending on usage between the three. My guess is the Note has the best battery life of the three, but they're probably pretty similar.

That said, both devices are quite a bit more expensive and so if Moto has a device that is comparable to the best of the best for nearly half the price, it is obvious where the value lies.

There's nothing wrong with waiting. I don't think buying it is a mistake, I ordered one - but if it is terrible, there's nothing wrong with shipping it right back to them and trying something else.
    ibcop, xocomaox, On2Vegas and 6 others like this.
    09-09-2015 11:43 AM
    Well spoken.

09-09-2015 11:44 AM
    Well, if you're on the fence you could order one and give it a whirl. If it's not for you - return it. I have the G4 and keeping it but selling my Note 3 and G2 and put those funds toward the Pure.
    09-09-2015 11:46 AM
    When you are paying 60% of what comparable phones cost, you have to consider value. I think that is what these reviews are failing to do. So, yeah, compared to $700 phones, the Pure might be "good enough" but compared to other $400 phones it is great.

jephanie likes this.
    09-09-2015 11:49 AM
    I think (and hope) that the overall experience of the Moto X is greater than the sums of its parts. I'm coming from an S6 that has a great camera, great processor, and great screen, but the overall experience is severely lacking because of poor battery life and software...not to mention is costs $200 more than the Moto X.

If the Moto camera is as good as early samples indicate and the battery can get through a day, then it will be "great" in my opinion when combined with the typically awesome Moto software.
    09-09-2015 12:07 PM
    I think it should be good enough, but the price is also not steep so it should be fine. If they had a fingerprint scanner and higher end processor like 810 then probably it would have been perfect carrying thru the next year, but with current specs it should be good enough but keep in mind the price as well.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
    09-09-2015 12:13 PM
    Are you for getting the fast updates of it bit dealing with carriers and the fact that you can buy it unlocked to use wherever.. That alone makes it a great phone
    jephanie and co.ag.2005 like this.
    09-09-2015 12:25 PM
    Just order one and if you don't like it send it back. LG g4 international version was on sale for $420 before but now it's like $475.

Sent from my Passport using Tapatalk
    jephanie likes this.
    09-09-2015 12:29 PM
    I think it should be good enough, but the price is also not steep so it should be fine. If they had a fingerprint scanner and higher end processor like 810 then probably it would have been perfect carrying thru the next year, but with current specs it should be good enough but keep in mind the price as well.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
    We definitely want the 808 over the 810.
    Ry, jephanie and co.ag.2005 like this.
    09-09-2015 12:40 PM
    You know I have got to believe that the poor slobs (nice way to say the manufacturers) who actually build these phones probably pull their hair out trying to "guess" what people want, and are willing to buy. Everybody wants the perfect phone...according to their personal idea of what a perfect phone is....but it will never exist for economic reasons. The manufacturers economic reasons, not ours!
    This person wants a fingerprint reader, while that person couldn't care less about a fingerprint reader. This guy wants more RAM while that guy says 3 gigs is enough. Many want a camera that can take pictures as good as a $5000.00 camera takes. And we all want a battery that will last 72 hours straight even though we can charge it overnight or for 10 minutes and get 10 more hours. Put in a bigger battery and it weighs too much and is too thick.
    I want amoled, I want waterproof, I want LCD but only IPS or better. I hate LCD because I cannot look at it sideways with my sunglasses on!
    Now imagine trying to build a phone that will please the most people, and still get enough sales to make a profit? Tough market to be in!
    09-09-2015 12:48 PM
    Here's an unboxing video

09-09-2015 05:12 PM
    Great video and like you I am hoping battery life is good but I am really sceptical about it with that Quad screen and that size battery as my G3 had the same screen/battery and that was awful!
    My G3 battery life has been solid going on over a year now. I've never has it not get me through the day and I use it quite a bit
    09-09-2015 08:10 PM
    A common phrase I found in most of the reviews for this device was "good enough"

The processor is not great, but it's good enough.

Battery life is not phenomenal, but it's good enough.

The camera, while a massive improvement over previous Moto devices, isn't great, but it's good enough.

I find that I get so close to pulling the trigger and ordering one, staring at that black body with blue accents admiring how good it looks, but I just can't do it...I can't convince myself that I'm not settling for "good enough". The biggest hang up for me is the uncertainty with the camera, and while I'm sure it's improved I just don't trust Moto with it. I'm waiting to see real results from buyers and definitely more low light samples.

What do you folks think? Is the Pure a great device looking towards the future, or is it just something to bridge the short gap until something better comes along?
    Agreed. The camera is my biggest concern as well. I'm definitely waiting until I see numerous reviews on it before I order
    09-09-2015 08:11 PM
    When you are paying 60% of what comparable phones cost, you have to consider value. I think that is what these reviews are failing to do. So, yeah, compared to $700 phones, the Pure might be "good enough" but compared to other $400 phones it is great.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Moto marketing this thing as a flagship, the likes of which can compete with the G4's and note 5's of the world? Throw the price out for a minute, if they want to compete with these the X can't be simply "good enough."

I don't think they are planning to market it as, "it's good enough, you get what you pay for."
    09-09-2015 08:17 PM
    The price is a feature.
    jephanie likes this.
    09-09-2015 09:19 PM
    The price is a feature.
    Heck YEAH it is! The base 16GB iPhone 6S is $800 off contract. I can (and did) buy TWO of the XPE's for that price.
    09-09-2015 09:21 PM
432 ... 89101112 ...