10-08-2015 08:57 PM
432 12345 ...
tools
    Too early for unboxing reviews, I suppose. Various sources, here and elsewhere, indicate that a Turbo Charger is included, and someone even said a bumper is as well. I'd love first-hand news.
    09-02-2015 08:39 PM
    Also, let's go AC. Where's the review?!
    Yeah Android Central needs to get on it!

Posted via the Android Central App
    09-02-2015 08:53 PM
    Cons: Camera, Battery Life, and questionable processor. You just highlighted the 3 most important aspects of any phone.
    yeah, very concerned. the Play review on AC also noticed some lag in performance, which is surprising coming from Moto. I'll compromise in the processor and camera department, but the battery life is something I'd like to compare to the rest of the Fall lineup.
    09-02-2015 09:04 PM
    All the review keep compare the X with note 5 or iPhone but at $300 cheaper than those phone I think the X should be good all around phone.

Great screen ..decent camera ..pure stock android ...micro sd card ....battery I think should be last all day..I can't wait for my X coming..
    jephanie likes this.
    09-02-2015 09:07 PM
    They all say the camera is excellent. One of the best in the market. The battery is on par with most of the best phones, just not better. And the processor is again, on par with the top of the line phones except the Note 5 (which will probably even out because of Samsung's crappy software). In other words... Those cons are hardly cons.
    on paper you're right about the processor, but that's why reviews are so important. doesn't matter what the spec sheet says, matters how it performs.

personally, I think people blow processor speed way out of proportion. it needs to only be as good or better than your last phone IMO, and the miniscule difference is hardly noticeable.

overall it's a great phone. I've said before I don't care about aesthetics, but after messing around on MotoMaker I'm shamelessly retracting that statement!!

that charcoal leather with the red accents looks awesome!
    jephanie, dmark44 and GeordieAffy like this.
    09-02-2015 09:14 PM
    For me (mostly) pure Android coupled with no carrier interference makes this phone a game changer! Sticking with stock Android devices is getting more and more difficult (Heck it's either a Moto device or Nexus) and the fact I can choose from a plethora of materials to personalize it to my liking is worth some trade offs IMO

G4'ed it!
    I think you're dead on ... very fair statement.
    YankInDaSouth and jephanie like this.
    09-02-2015 09:21 PM
    WTF Moto? Play doesn't ship with Turbo Charger either in UK but in Brazil it does. And now the flagship too?!

Motorola out to screw over the UK consumer - confirmed. I feel bad for supporting this company now.

Sent from my XT1562 using Tapatalk
    u keep saying moto is screwing the UK ... at least you have the Play and soon the Force ... I'll trade a free charger for the option to buy 2 non branded moto phones any day of the week.

also, any time you're an early adopter, you know stuff like this happens .... I'm not suggesting you don't share your frustration, just hopefully adding some perspective.
    09-02-2015 09:26 PM
    I'm not too worried about any performance stutters for 2 main reasons. The first is not every review mentioned it. One or two mentioned a slight stutter and, quite frankly, with Lolllipop being a less then stellar Android release I am not to surprised, plus this very well could be pre-release software. The second is if Moto needs to push out an update to improve performance then it'll get taken care of quickly. Ah, the glory of zero carrier interference.

Any 800 series processor should be able to handle stock Android with ease, provided Lollipop isn't have one of it's moments and something happens. Heck I can make my "lightning fast" S6 stutter if I do things a certain way. With any luck M will smooth Lollipop's issues and I think the Pure will really shine then.
    09-02-2015 09:29 PM
    I'm satisfied with the camera samples we're seeing.
    I'm not a big camera guy, I just don't know some of the technical features and software, but to my eye the pics we've seen so far look great!
    jephanie and dmark44 like this.
    09-02-2015 09:40 PM
    The battery life is my concern. The video playback tests that a few reviews have done suggest as I "feared" that the LCD display could be power hog. For video playback the battery life is four hours less than the the Note 5 and that is about two hours worse than I expected. That is 3.5 hours lower than my Note 4 and two hours lower than the G4. The .2" different display should not equal two hours. Perhaps Motorola went low tier on the display for cost.

I will hold off ordering until I see more reviews of battery life, Anandtech's review and Display Mates display review. I really wanted to order it, but will temper my usual compulsion
    bpe4 likes this.
    09-02-2015 09:56 PM
    All these reviews compare the Pure to other flagships like the Note 5, but those phones are like $300 more in cost. While the Pure is not the best spec'd Android phone , I think the overall user experience is more important. I'm tired of chasing specs. The Galaxy series usually has the best specs but Touchwiz is a pain in the ***. I'm getting to the point that I just want a phone to work well out of the box and not have to tinker with ROMs.

The only comparable phone is the OnePlus Two, which actually has better specs. But you have to deal with poor quality control, poor customer service and support. Plus you need an invite.
    09-02-2015 10:01 PM
    I take reviews with a GIGANTIC grain of salt. First, a lot of the battery reviews are garbage. Doing things like looping a video until it dies. That's not real world use. Sure it gives you some information, but it doesn't give you anything as to how you would actually use the phone. Second, these guys are paid to nit pick. What they may notice, because they've recently picked apart 20 different phones, I'll probably not notice. And to top it off, I saw a TON of reviews that said they couldn't make the S6 stutter or lag if they wanted to. I beg to differ. I went through two S6s and an Active. Those things lagged like my BlackBerry Storm. I would click on a message notification and it would literally take 5 seconds to open it up. Every day. After a reboot. After a long time without one. Didn't matter. It lagged like it was designed to do so. Not to mention on all three of my phones I had delayed and sometimes non existent notifications. Never saw that in a review either.

So basically, take these reviews (either positive or negative), but they aren't the gospel. Try out the phone. If it sucks, return it to Moto. They have a good return policy. I used my Moto credit so I'm out $0 until I know I actually want to keep it.
    09-02-2015 10:02 PM
    I take reviews with a GIGANTIC grain of salt. First, a lot of the battery reviews are garbage. Doing things like looping a video until it dies. That's not real world use. Sure it gives you some information, but it doesn't give you anything as to how you would actually use the phone. Second, these guys are paid to nit pick. What they may notice, because they've recently picked apart 20 different phones, I'll probably not notice. And to top it off, I saw a TON of reviews that said they couldn't make the S6 stutter or lag if they wanted to. I beg to differ. I went through two S6s and an Active. Those things lagged like my BlackBerry Storm. I would click on a message notification and it would literally take 5 seconds to open it up. Every day. After a reboot. After a long time without one. Didn't matter. It lagged like it was designed to do so. Not to mention on all three of my phones I had delayed and sometimes non existent notifications. Never saw that in a review either.

So basically, take these reviews (either positive or negative), but they aren't the gospel. Try out the phone. If it sucks, return it to Moto. They have a good return policy. I used my Moto credit so I'm out $0 until I know I actually want to keep it.
    So you prefer reviews with anecdotal battery comments like "I think I had a moderate day, and went to bed with 30% left in the tank" ?

I prefer a side-by-side controlled comparison where phones perform the exact same function with identical brightness parameters. I posted a week or so ago that Motorola made a big mistake by putting a small battery in relation to such a large screen, and I think these reviews on average to bad battery life are backing me up. I'm not a total hater though. I was really hoping to be proven wrong, because I think it's a beautiful phone.
    09-02-2015 10:17 PM
    So you prefer reviews with anecdotal battery comments like "I think I had a moderate day, and went to bed with 30% left in the tank" ?

I prefer a side-by-side controlled comparison where phones perform the exact same function with identical brightness parameters. I posted a week or so ago that Motorola made a big mistake by putting a small battery in relation to such a large screen, and I think these reviews on average to bad battery life are backing me up. I'm not a total hater though. I was really hoping to be proven wrong, because I think it's a beautiful phone.
    I've seen reviews that run the whole gamut from "not good" to "very good" battery life with "moderate" and "heavy" usage. The problem with any review is, as you stated, the lack of exact same function during the tests. They can run every phone through standardized "screen on times" with a video playing but that doesn't do squat to tell me how the battery will last with the SOC and affiliated video chip will perform the tasks *I* typically use it for. I don't do much gaming. I do mostly Facebook, texting, YouTube and some web browsing along with limited gaming. NONE of these reviews will mimic MY usages so I can't trust them too much. The listed tests are very arbitrary to say the least. But I also recognize that they have to have some sort of baseline with which to compare vastly different devices and their screen time.

So I take them all with a grain of salt and only accept approximation of averages across all the different reviews. And, so far, the reviews seem to be pretty decent for this device. The only way I'll know for sure is with actual usage with my actual usage patterns.

You know the rule of thumb: YMMV (Your Mileage May Vary)
    Pirate Arr likes this.
    09-02-2015 10:30 PM
    Straight video playback reviews though are a good indicator of the display's power efficiency, since straight SOT and minimal subjectivity of apps. There have been two reviews saying the same thing, so at a minimum it is not a good sign and enough for me to wait and see what Anandtech, Phone Arena and Display Mate say.

Hopefully they refute
    09-02-2015 10:40 PM
    Also, let's go AC. Where's the review?!
    You should know AC isn't gonna do a day 1 review.

Posted via Android Central App (Moto X)
    bunique4life05 likes this.
    09-02-2015 10:43 PM
    The performance hiccups have me more concerned than anything. This combined with the major issues on the Play make me think that the latest Moto software isn't very well optimized (just because it looks like stock doesn't mean at a low level it is stock, or that simply slapping stock on any phone will make it run like a Nexus without optimization for the hardware).

My Nexus 5 feels as fast or faster than every more recent flagship phone I've tested with the exception of the Nexus 6 (which felt more buttery smooth). My Nexus 5 does not have a cutting edge processor. I was expecting the Moto X pure to perform at least as good as my Nexus 5 but the consistency of complaints from a couple of the reviews are making me concerned. I say this also because most people who use a brand new device for a week have glowing things to say about its performance (especially when they are conditioned to think stock android = fast) unless something is really wrong.
    Well I have just read one review and may have blown things out portion. I think what Verge was saying it is as smooth just not as smooth top phones on market.

What your saying about software is true but I think it's hindering battery life not smoothness of you IU. This phone I assume basically 5.7 version of the Nexus 6 with a better processor and LCD screen. What I don't is combination of software,LCD screen and having 3000mah battery reason why it's battery life is less than the Nexus 6?
    09-02-2015 11:04 PM
    Verge only truly likes iPhones and phones that clone iPhones like the Note 5.
    09-02-2015 11:09 PM
    the Note 5 is an iPhone clone? now I've seriously heard everything!
    09-02-2015 11:13 PM
    Iverge..
    jephanie likes this.
    09-02-2015 11:17 PM
    Well I have just read one review and may have blown things out portion. I think what Verge was saying it is as smooth just not as smooth top phones on market.

What your saying about software is true but I think it's hindering battery life not smoothness of you IU. This phone I assume basically 5.7 version of the Nexus 6 with a better processor and LCD screen. What I don't is combination of software,LCD screen and having 3000mah battery reason why it's battery life is less than the Nexus 6?
    Yep. The Verge mentioned that the Moto X Pure Edition did not lag nor stutter but simply didn't feel as fast as recent "flagships".

09-02-2015 11:26 PM
    on paper you're right about the processor, but that's why reviews are so important. doesn't matter what the spec sheet says, matters how it performs.

personally, I think people blow processor speed way out of proportion. it needs to only be as good or better than your last phone IMO, and the miniscule difference is hardly noticeable.

overall it's a great phone. I've said before I don't care about aesthetics, but after messing around on MotoMaker I'm shamelessly retracting that statement!!

that charcoal leather with the red accents looks awesome!
    See that's exactly why I DONT listen to reviews haha. No reviews said that the Note 4 was gonna be the laggy mess it ended up being for me. Of course there's multiple reasons for lag, but I've been able to reproduce some of my issues in the store with nearly fresh installs, yet no reviews mentioned that stuff.

Another thing... Most smartphone reviews are 50% comparing it to an iPhone, 25% complaining about something design wise (my least important aspect of a phone), 15% calling it "plenty snappy" as the entire performance section of a review... And finally 10% left over to review the actual phone itself.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk
    Anthony_NE likes this.
    09-02-2015 11:27 PM
    Not true.

bunique4life05 and co.ag.2005 like this.
    09-02-2015 11:28 PM
    They all say the camera is excellent. One of the best in the market. The battery is on par with most of the best phones, just not better. And the processor is again, on par with the top of the line phones except the Note 5 (which will probably even out because of Samsung's crappy software). In other words... Those cons are hardly cons.
    The phone starts a $399, yet some of you are expecting everything to match phones with a $650+ price tag. Looks like Moto did a great job here. A quality device that can clearly hang with much more expensive phones. Also those expecting this phone to be a "game changer" clearly don;t understand what Moto is trying to achieve.
    09-02-2015 11:28 PM

Now where did I say I preferred any review? I said I take reviews with a GIGANTIC grain of salt. Most reviews for any phone are all over the board. And I used my experience with the S6 to show how it wasn't even remotely close to the experience reviews were saying I should be having.

I was stating that I think people should see some of their own real world use before passing judgment. And I don't just mean when it comes to this phone.

But I would like to reiterate, if you're on the fence, try it out. Return it to Moto if it sucks. I may return mine too, if MY experience using the phone isn't up to snuff. It will literally cost me nothing to form MY OWN opinion of the phone.
    co.ag.2005 likes this.
    09-02-2015 11:29 PM
432 12345 ...