Moto X Pure Edition: Various Reviews

jimbo1mcm

Jun 6, 2012
Visit site
Re: Moto X Pure Edition: Engadget Review

Slightly mixed reviews but I knew what I was ordering. I don't take a lot of night photos, so the low light capabilites of the camera don't concern me and we'll see how the battery life holds up. I like pure or almost pure Android and you can't beat the Motomaker customization. I ordered the phone I want, with the capabilities that suit me, in the color and textures( leather ) I want.

mvasquez009

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
Questionable reviews? Quick question

How true do you think these reviews from the verge and CNET that are coming out saying that the new Moto X doesn't run android as "snappy" as other high end phones are.. I mean it runs basically stock Android and has a snapdragon 808 which is in other "high end phones"...

Rocketsaucev2

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
Re: Questionable reviews? Quick question

Without the other phones to directly compare, I'm highly doubtful anyone will think this phone is slow'

XT1060

popartist

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
Re: Questionable reviews? Quick question

Also the phones these early reviewers have are all running pre-release software, so there may still be bugs that won't be in the final shipping version.

YankInDaSouth

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
For me (mostly) pure Android coupled with no carrier interference makes this phone a game changer! Sticking with stock Android devices is getting more and more difficult (Heck it's either a Moto device or Nexus) and the fact I can choose from a plethora of materials to personalize it to my liking is worth some trade offs IMO

G4'ed it!

mvasquez009

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
For me as long as the battery life is better than the nexus 5 I'm happy.. I was only getting 1hr 30 min sot with that phone.. and it can't be worse then that

bholt6

Aug 18, 2013
Visit site
I sold my S6 for this thing. Granted it was on Verizon so it was locked down like crazy, but it reminded me that I prefer a phone with a great software experience and one that I can tinker with, etc over a super premium phone like the S6. Battery life could be an issue but I'm sure we'll have a plethora of kernels to choose from in the dev section that will greatly improve it.

krazyatom

Trusted Member
Jan 4, 2015
Visit site
I ordered one but I am still hesitant. I need good camera, close to stock android, good screen, battery life. I am so used to super amoled screen and screen is my main concern.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

andy a

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site

Slightly mixed reviews but I knew what I was ordering. I don't take a lot of night photos, so the low light capabilites of the camera don't concern me and we'll see how the battery life holds up. I like pure or almost pure Android and you can't beat the Motomaker customization. I ordered the phone I want, with the capabilities that suit me, in the color and textures( leather ) I want.

Jimbo even though the battery life concerns me slightly I have never had an Android phone that
is almost pure so that would be interesting to try, I currently have a Sony Xperia Z3 and it is known for its great battery life and if it is in standby and not used it has great battery life but the most sot I can get with it is around 4 hours 20 minutes which isn't that good but as others say most of the current phones aren't great with battery life so I might take a punt on the Style.

It is a real shame that it doesn't ship with a turbo charger plug so that will cost £25 from the motorola site and as I am a rep on the road all day I will need to buy a car turbo charger which is another £25 so that is another £50 on top which is a lot!

The camera isn't a problem for me as I don't attatch that much importance to it and even though the low light shots are poor I only use it in good light so it would be perfect for my use.

andy a

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
For me as long as the battery life is better than the nexus 5 I'm happy.. I was only getting 1hr 30 min sot with that phone.. and it can't be worse then that

Crikey only 1 hr 30 minutes!!!! I am shocked at that as that is terrible, I thought my G3 at 3 hours was bad :)

bholt6

Aug 18, 2013
Visit site

Jimbo even though the battery life concerns me slightly I have never had an Android phone that
is almost pure so that would be interesting to try, I currently have a Sony Xperia Z3 and it is known for its great battery life and if it is in standby and not used it has great battery life but the most sot I can get with it is around 4 hours 20 minutes which isn't that good but as others say most of the current phones aren't great with battery life so I might take a punt on the Style.

It is a real shame that it doesn't ship with a turbo charger plug so that will cost £25 from the motorola site and as I am a rep on the road all day I will need to buy a car turbo charger which is another £25 so that is another £50 on top which is a lot!

The camera isn't a problem for me as I don't attatch that much importance to it and even though the low light shots are poor I only use it in good light so it would be perfect for my use.

So it doesn't ship with a turbo wall charger?

andy a

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site

So it doesn't ship with a turbo wall charger?

Not in the UK it doesn't as I contacted Clove and they said no! Even at the price if it has turbo charging enabled then I think they should provide the wall plug as I would need to buy that and a car charger which adds £50 to the phone price!!!

Cakefish

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site
WTF Moto? Play doesn't ship with Turbo Charger either in UK but in Brazil it does. And now the flagship too?!

Motorola out to screw over the UK consumer - confirmed. I feel bad for supporting this company now.

Sent from my XT1562 using Tapatalk

jephanie

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
The Wired review says:

The 21-megapixel camera on the back takes clean, sharp photos in most situations, and even does well enough in low light that I wouldn’t fear taking this phone anywhere. Ditto the 4K video, which looks great. The phone does have a tendency to slightly de-saturate photos shot in bright light, making everything look a little duller than real life.

Overall, the phone is getting mostly high praise reviews. Some of the things I've read are baffling, such as saying the 808 is a poor choice of chip (whereas it was apparently just fine for the G4) and the battery reviews seems to be all over the map from "not-so-good" to "meh" to "pretty darn good." I haven't seen any review that outright blasts it like the GS6. And with The Verge, an well known Apple loving site, giving it an 8.6...that ain't bad at all.

I'm sure I'll be extremely satisfied with the purchase. Even the OG X still acts mostly snappy after two years. I can't wait for delivery (listed as Sept. 18th for me for both phones).

Saturn1217

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site

The battery life was lower than I expected. I also never thought the software performance would be not "snappy". (Based on what Verge said) I still think it will be nice upgrade from Nexus 5.

The performance hiccups have me more concerned than anything. This combined with the major issues on the Play make me think that the latest Moto software isn't very well optimized (just because it looks like stock doesn't mean at a low level it is stock, or that simply slapping stock on any phone will make it run like a Nexus without optimization for the hardware).

My Nexus 5 feels as fast or faster than every more recent flagship phone I've tested with the exception of the Nexus 6 (which felt more buttery smooth). My Nexus 5 does not have a cutting edge processor. I was expecting the Moto X pure to perform at least as good as my Nexus 5 but the consistency of complaints from a couple of the reviews are making me concerned. I say this also because most people who use a brand new device for a week have glowing things to say about its performance (especially when they are conditioned to think stock android = fast) unless something is really wrong.

andy a

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
WTF Moto? Play doesn't ship with Turbo Charger either in UK but in Brazil it does. And now the flagship too?!

Motorola out to screw over the UK consumer - confirmed. I feel bad for supporting this company now.

I know it is a disgrace that it doesn't come with a charger especially as it is a flagship and it just makes me think I will wait for another phone that takes my fancy.

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
Verge reviewer said in the comments he didn't look every day but one night saw he got 4 hours Sot (5% battery left) before bed. That's about what I would expect and is roughly what the nexus 6 got me. 4 hours SOT is the low end of 'I don't have to worry about it most days' for me.

Cakefish

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site
@Saturn1217 - It is surprising indeed to see complaints about the Style's performance. But it gives me hope that the Moto X Play's performance issues are software related rather than hardware.

@andy a - This really disgusts me because the Moto X Play alone already costs more than the Style does in the US! The difference is much greater than just adding on the 20% VAT so there's no excuse to not include the Turbo Charger. For both Play and Style.

jimbo1mcm

Jun 6, 2012
Visit site

I think it does ship with a turbo charger.( none in UK?) I think the battery will end up being fine unless you are a really heavy, heavy user. With Android M coming and the Doze capability it will be even better. If I am going on a long plane flight or expect a really long day, I'll bring along my very compact 6000maH Jackery Power Bank. I am really looking forward to this phone. I currently have a Nexus 6 that is excellent on battery life.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy