Moto X Pure Edition: Various Reviews

jephanie

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
Re: Moto X Pure Edition: Engadget Review

Yep. The Verge mentioned that the Moto X Pure Edition did not lag nor stutter but simply didn't feel as fast as recent "flagships".

Posted via Android Central App (Moto X)

And what I don't get is if there is no lag nor stutter...then how to you classify something as being "less snappy" than something else with no lag nor stutter? It seems.....odd...

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

And what I don't get is if there is no lag nor stutter...then how to you classify something as being "less snappy" than something else with no lag nor stutter? It seems.....odd...

Not to me.

Lag and stutter would probably just "glitch".

Slow could still be smooth.

jephanie

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site

Not to me.

Lag and stutter would probably just "glitch".

Slow could still be smooth.

The way they describe it just seems very subjective.

bunique4life05

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Verge only truly likes iPhones and phones that clone iPhones like the Note 5.

Verge are not pro iphone it just that iPhone sets benchmark for battery life, software performance and camera performance by the general consensus. Now that's not saying there are not other examples that excel or meet those areas. The iPhone just consistently excel or sets president if in two or all three of those categories.

Now never own iPhone and a Android phone since the G1 but iPhone hate isn't realistic. Furthermore Apple provide solid product every year ignore point if greatly different or ground breaking they are still damn good piece of tec.

bunique4life05

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site

The speed which the ui takes to respond to your command and then take action. Think of it as increasing the animation speed on your Android phone. Verge is just saying that the style gets up speed smoothy as any other device but the other devices just do it faster.

GeordieAffy

Aug 27, 2015
Visit site
This phone is probably not shiny enough for them. If it was shiny and aluminium backed they'd be saying something completely different.

These reviewers talk a load of crap. I remember them complaining of the size Note 4 and listed size as a Con yet when the review for the iPhone 6 Plus came out there was no complains but was listen as a Pro.

Aaaand most of these reviewers know less about the phones than most on here a bet. These guys probably spend soo little time actually with the devices or understand why peoplr want to buy them.

Sent from S3 via Tapatalk App.

Cakefish

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site
u keep saying moto is screwing the UK ... at least you have the Play and soon the Force ... I'll trade a free charger for the option to buy 2 non branded moto phones any day of the week.

also, any time you're an early adopter, you know stuff like this happens .... I'm not suggesting you don't share your frustration, just hopefully adding some perspective.

This has nothing to do with being an early adopter. Motorola is including the Turbo Charger in other countries but not the UK. Why does this matter? The Turbo Charger 15 costs £25 ($38.19). That's a lot to spend to just obtain the advertised charging speeds. The Turbo Charger 25 is not even for sale in the UK - this means that the phone will never reach the advertised charging speeds! Literally false advertising, until they start selling the TC25. And I bet it'll cost more than the TC15 too. Ugh.

The Moto g also has a better camera than the play, based on comparison shots.

The G (IMX214) does not have a better camera than the Play (IMX230 w/ PDAF). No way.

Sent from my XT1562 using Tapatalk

RapidTurtle

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
That is also what I'm thinking.

I don't see why they think camera isn't as good as the S6 or G4. Images look great and the colors are more true to life then the other two. Colors have nothing to do with the camera and its all software that can change that. Low light photos looks great I think. It's no DSLR but it's a sensor that is a fraction of the size of a DSLR.

Did you see the low light shots on the Gizmodo review, compared to the s6 and the G4? The moto x is horrible in low light again.

GeordieAffy

Aug 27, 2015
Visit site
This has nothing to do with being an early adopter. Motorola is including the Turbo Charger in other countries but not the UK. Why does this matter? The Turbo Charger 15 costs £25 ($38.19). That's a lot to spend to just obtain the advertised charging speeds. The Turbo Charger 25 is not even for sale in the UK - this means that the phone will never reach the advertised charging speeds! Literally false advertising, until they start selling the TC25. And I bet it'll cost more than the TC15 too. Ugh.

The G (IMX214) does not have a better camera than the Play (IMX230 w/ PDAF). No way.

It is a shame. TC25 will probs be like £40.

I might just buy a Anker Quick Charge 2.0 adapter. Btw does anyone know what the difference is between the TC15 and TC25?

Sent from S3 via Tapatalk App.

benjamminh

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
The TC25 goes to 11...seriously it seems like the TC15 is a normal quick charge 2.0 charger and the 25 allows the style to charge a little faster than that.

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site

didn't say the charger has anything to do with being an early adopter, just the fact that they announced the Force soon after. kinda similar to people that jumped on the S6 and then shortly after the active was announced.

and you act like moto put a gun to your head and forced you to buy it. false advertising? give me a break. different markets offer different things. you were offered a product at a price and YOU decided to buy it, doesn't sound like false advertising to me.

when you bought the Play, you knew what you were buying, and unless they charged you more without you approving them off doing so, or said you'd get something that wasn't included, that's not false advertising.

and every global company with every product does business differently in other countries, so I wouldn't worry about what's going on in Brazil. they get a free charger, great for them.

the charger not being available in the UK is BS. not being included I'll give to them. not even being available I'll agree with you .... unless it's possible to buy online.

and BTW free is misleading ... a free charger in the UK would've meant the price you paid would've been higher.

Last edited:

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
The Verge and Gsmarena (mainly for Gsmarena Battery Endurance Test)

Yep, Gsmarena is another for battery tests I will look at. The key power drainer on a device is the display, so the most telling test is the non stop screen on time test of video playback. That test in comparison to other devices is the best for seeing what the display efficiency difference will be. All other tests are more weighted in subjectivity like apps used, bloat, UI, network signal and actual screen on time.

Video endurance tests IMO are the closest to objective and comparative to other devices as a result. "So far" the two reviews with such tests have not been good for the Moto X P, so hoping Anadtech and Gsarena endurance tests are much better and Display Mate is positive as well. As far as personal usage tests, the only one that matters is your own personal tests and not with others. Too many subjective issues to compare each other, but the threads are sometimes hilarious with posts of superdevice level battery life, but their "heavy use" is another's light use.

Cakefish

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site
didn't say the charger has anything to do with being an early adopter, just the fact that they announced the Force soon after. kinda similar to people that jumped on the S6 and then shortly after the active was announced.

and you act like moto put a gun to your head and forced you to buy it. false advertising? give me a break. different markets offer different things. you were offered a product at a price and YOU decided to buy it, doesn't sound like false advertising to me.

when you bought the Play, you knew what you were buying, and unless they charged you more without you approving them off doing so, or said you'd get something that wasn't included, that's not false advertising.

and every global company with every product does business differently in other countries, so I wouldn't worry about what's going on in Brazil. they get a free charger, great for them. if you want one, go buy it, cause they never agreed to give you one for free.

and BTW free is misleading ... a free charger in the UK would've meant the price you paid would've been higher.

Nowhere was it mentioned that these phones didn't ship with the Turbo Charger in the UK. Yet they boasted about charge speeds in their grand announcement (which was partly hosted in London). The Play was released in Brazil before the UK - how was I meant to know they'd not include the TC for the UK? I assumed they would treat us the same as they treat Brazilians or Americans, but nope that didn't turn out to be the case. And as for the Style, well it can't even reach the speeds they boasted about in the announcement because the TC25 is not for sale separately - so yeah, maybe not outright false advertising but shady, dishonourable marketing at best.

Yeah, that's the problem. When you take the added cost of the TC into account (+£25 for TC15, still unknown the price of the TC25, if it's ever sold separately) the phones become questionable value for money in the UK market. I, for one, expected them to include the fast chargers. Is it really that bad of me to expect that a product priced really competitively in the US would also offer good value for money in the UK too? I'm sorry for having faith in Motorola not to screw over British customers, you're right, I should have known better than to be so naïve.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
That is odd, since Samsung ships with the charger to facilitate fast charging. Perhaps this is part of Moto's strategy along with the covers and the warranty. They are banking on high attach rates with phone orders. The chargers total cost is at most $2.00, so nice gross profit. Probably $1.50 is closer now they are part of Lenovo's supply network.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
The TC25 goes to 11...seriously it seems like the TC15 is a normal quick charge 2.0 charger and the 25 allows the style to charge a little faster than that.

The faster the battery charges, the sharper the capacitance decline curve over time. I would turn fast charging off on a fixed battery unless only keeping the device for a year, or want to pay for a replacement. That or pay for the Moto warranty, presuming there is no fine print about battery life in the warranty.

bpe4

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
Now where did I say I preferred any review? I said I take reviews with a GIGANTIC grain of salt. Most reviews for any phone are all over the board. And I used my experience with the S6 to show how it wasn't even remotely close to the experience reviews were saying I should be having.

I was stating that I think people should see some of their own real world use before passing judgment. And I don't just mean when it comes to this phone.

But I would like to reiterate, if you're on the fence, try it out. Return it to Moto if it sucks. I may return mine too, if MY experience using the phone isn't up to snuff. It will literally cost me nothing to form MY OWN opinion of the phone.

I only made the comment because you discounted empirical/controlled comparisons between flagship phones. Without these type of controlled comparisons, EVERYTHING is anecdotal. We all do things slightly differently... and no doubt if you owned 3-4 flagship phones (S6, M9, LG G4, etc...), you'd probably have similar apps installed, but you probably wouldn't have them EXACTLY setup the same, nor have the Android settings set exactly the same. In which even your views on battery life between them would still be considered anecdotal.

These guys at Anandtech, GSMArena, etc... aren't fools. They know that that when they run these battery run-down tests everything must be set identical, and they run tests that simulate real-world use as best they can. Video run-down, web browsing simulators, etc.. So it just doesn't sit well with me when people discount these tests, since it doesn't 'simulate' how they use their phone. We all can 'take them with a grain of salt' if we set our displays to 0-10%, turn off all data sync from every APP, turn off animation acceleration, and then magically claim that 'I get 5-6 hours SoT!! Those dudes at 'INSERT TECHSITE' are whack!'

But I agree with you.... can't hurt to try out a phone and returning it if it doesn't meet your needs. For those that don't want to go through the hassle though, I think reviews from the 'trusted' sites are invaluable.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
There is a reason the more reputable review sites like Andandtech and Gsmarena place emphasis on the video and web endurance tests and that is because they are the closest thing to objective testing there is in regards to the display. Too many variables otherwise. Screen on time is key and the most weight for overall margins of difference in average battery life.

andy a

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
That is odd, since Samsung ships with the charger to facilitate fast charging. Perhaps this is part of Moto's strategy along with the covers and the warranty. They are banking on high attach rates with phone orders. The chargers total cost is at most $2.00, so nice gross profit. Probably $1.50 is closer now they are part of Lenovo's supply network.

Oh no does the fast charging element reduce the actual life expectancy of the fixed battery? If so that doesn't sound good.

Chris X1

Mar 3, 2014
Visit site
Have to take a great many of these reviews with a grain of salt. Heck, The Verge review - both video and the write-up - talked about the dual front facing speakers on the 2014 Moto X. The only time that I visit that place anymore is to read/watch reviews of products that are of interest to me. Otherwise, it's turned into an Apple and Tim Cook ***-kissing, liberal, hipster playground.

This place does a pretty good job with reviews, as do Android Police and Engadget. PocketNow does good YouTube reviews, along with MKBHD. In fact, I tend to find his reviews the most straight forward and helpful. If he doesn't like something, he'll tell you. Lisa Glade at MobileTechReview is good as well.