Moto X Pure Edition: Various Reviews

krazyatom

Trusted Member
Jan 4, 2015
Visit site
The Moto X play will be released as a 'droid something' for Verizon. The style/pure will likely be released as a droid on verizon as well.
But Verizon version always has limited GSM bands. I am not sure why people would buy it over pure edition? They can buy with contracts maybe?

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

bpe4

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
Also the carrier which doesn't care about customer experience, bloats up the phone, modify phone designs, stamp ugly logos !!!!

They are just riding on supposedly best network hype train.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Wow... are you a current or past VZ customer? If not, then yes you should believe the hype. I've tried T-Mobile and AT&T, and neither of them come close to the coverage you get in Urban and Rural areas. I do quite a bit of travel and when I tried T-Mobile as soon as I left any Urban area, it became totally useless. AT&T was better but not much. I've talked to a lot of other travelers and VZW seems like the majority choice (which I'm sure is why there are still #1 in the U.S. for subscriber numbers).

I'm still totally confused as to why people keep harping on bloat. Whenever you a get a carrier branded phone it takes literally 2 minutes to disable the 10-odd apps the carrier throws into the phone.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Wow... are you a current or past VZ customer? If not, then yes you should believe the hype. I've tried T-Mobile and AT&T, and neither of them come close to the coverage you get in Urban and Rural areas. I do quite a bit of travel and when I tried T-Mobile as soon as I left any Urban area, it became totally useless. AT&T was better but not much. I've talked to a lot of other travelers and VZW seems like the majority choice (which I'm sure is why there are still #1 in the U.S. for subscriber numbers).

I'm still totally confused as to why people keep harping on bloat. Whenever you a get a carrier branded phone it takes literally 2 minutes to disable the 10-odd apps the carrier throws into the phone.

but but but Verizon's also gonna put their logo on the home button. :confused:

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Evidence?

why do the VZ versions have such larger batteries? why wasn't the Play offered in the US? why not a single moto phone in the US not associated with VZ come with a larger battery?

it's circumstantial evidence and not very difficult to figure out.

Last edited:

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

That is your experience with the carrier -- it doesn't mean it fits everyone. I happen to live/work/play in an area that T-Mobile is awesome. You can bring a Verizon phone next to me and we can go anywhere and I will get LTE just like you.

Remember carriers depend HIGHLY on the area and the persons needs. If someone doesn't travel all over then coverage in those rural areas may not be as important. You have to choose what works for you. Oh and to answer your question .. Yes I have had Verizon. I have had all 4 carriers at one point or another and tested them out for my needs :).

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
yeah, it's listed under the common sense tab, right next to 2+2 ... why do the VZ versions have such larger batteries? why wasn't the Play offered in the US? why not a single moto phone in the US not associated with VZ come with a larger battery?

it's circumstantial evidence and not very difficult to figure out.

Still circumstantial though.

If Motorola went on record and gave you any other reason, you wouldn't believe it even though it's coming from Motorola.

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Still circumstantial though.

If Motorola went on record and gave you any other reason, you wouldn't believe it even though it's coming from Motorola.

that's not true, don't put words in my mouth.

I'm not a conspiracy theorist, but that makes more sense to me then anything else. I'm a reasonable person, and if given a reasonable explanation, i may or may not believe it. I have a brain though and don't believe everything I'm told.

bpe4

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site

I'm not a conspiracy theorist, but that makes more sense to me then anything else. I'm a reasonable person, and if given a reasonable explanation, i may or may not believe it. I have a brain though and don't believe everything I'm told.

Ever since the original (OG) Droid, it's been apparent that VZ has had a special relationship with Motorola. VZ has depended/worked with Motorola in creating their exclusives: Droid, Droid-X, Droid-X2, Droid Bionic, Razr Maxx, Maxx HD, Droid Maxx, Turbo... etc etc... If memory servers the HTC Droid DNA(HTC) is the only exception. It's obvious that when it comes to their exclusives, VZ has a lot of input into what they believe their consumers desire in a flagship phone. Since the Razr Maxx, Battery-Life has been the primary component they've focused on.

Last edited:

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Ever since the original (OG) Droid, it's been apparent that VZ has had a special relationship with Motorola. VZ has depended/worked with Motorola in creating their exclusives: Droid, Droid-X, Droid-X2, Droid Bionic, Razr Maxx, Maxx HD, Droid Maxx... etc etc... If memory servers the HTC Droid DNA(HTC) is the only exception. It's obvious that when it comes to their exclusives, VZ has a lot of input into what they believe their consumers desire in a flagship phone. Since the Razr Maxx, Battery-Life has been the primary component they've focused on.

exactly ... also, no coincidence moto announced their distribution strategy in the US, then a week later VZ announced they're no longer subsidizing phones.

I'm not suggesting I have a problem with either company or that there doing anything wrong. business is business, and they have a nice working relationship. I've been a happy VZ customer for over 15 years and I've owned many moto phones. I'll probably on the pure too.

I don't think they have anything to hide, it makes perfect sense what they're doing. the average Joe can care less and that's what matters, not me and you.

would I have loved if the pure came with a larger battery? of course. do I hope the upcoming force (star wars promo written all over it) comes straight from moto and not as the turbo 2 or something else? you bet.

but as you pointed out, there not even pretending to ignore it. it's blatantly obvious and I give them all the credit in the world. at least they offer a phone with a big battery. not many OEMs can make that claim.

if I don't like the VZ logo and minimal bloat, and won't by one as a result, that's my problem, not theirs.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Ever since the original (OG) Droid, it's been apparent that VZ has had a special relationship with Motorola. VZ has depended/worked with Motorola in creating their exclusives: Droid, Droid-X, Droid-X2, Droid Bionic, Razr Maxx, Maxx HD, Droid Maxx... etc etc... If memory servers the HTC Droid DNA(HTC) is the only exception. It's obvious that when it comes to their exclusives, VZ has a lot of input into what they believe their consumers desire in a flagship phone. Since the Razr Maxx, Battery-Life has been the primary component they've focused on.

HTC DROID Eris
HTC DROID Incredible
HTC DROID Incredible 2
HTC DROID Incredible 4G LTE
Samsung DROID CHARGE

Oh and sounds like the DROID RAZR MAXX wasn't even planned. Massive Motorola Droid Razr Maxx battery a 'Eureka' moment - CNET

and nope.

The generation after the DROID RAZR MAXX?

DROID RAZR M, DROID RAZR HD, DROID RAZR MAXX HD

then the DROID MINI, DROID ULTRA, and DROID MAXX

then finally just the DROID TURBO.

It wasn't just DROID RAZR MAXX HD, DROID MAXX, and DROID TURBO.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

You don't know if Verizon is telling Motorola you can't sell phones with bigger batteries in the US and that Motorola phones with big batteries are exclusive to Verizon in this market.

You're making an assumption that you seem to be treating as fact.

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
You don't know if Verizon is telling Motorola you can't sell phones with bigger batteries in the US and that Motorola phones with big batteries are exclusive to Verizon in this market.

You're making an assumption that you seem to be treating as fact.

meh, you're boring me.

alright, let me get some energy here .... kinda like when my son wants to wrestle past his bed time.

here i go .... I'm not trying to convince you or anybody else what is pretty obvious in my eyes. for whatever reason, you seem pretty hell bent on proving me wrong, without offering any valid points or thoughts of your own that might actually discredit my theory.

I asked you several reasonable questions, all of which you ignored. it's not a big deal, and if you can't connect the dots, then I don't know what to tell you.

let me propose one last question, maybe you can answer it this time ... what if the force gets rebranded? what will be your excuse then?

some people need hard evidence and don't have a feel for certain situations. that or they're just stubborn and like to argue for no reason. I'm not saying you fall into either camp, I have no clue, but you've brought nothing to the table and offered 0 facts to prove me wrong.

in all seriousness though, just going back and forth and enjoying a debate with someone I think has thick skin, like me ... probably 2 alpha males, but if I'm wrong about that i apologize for being a little rough around the edges.

bottom line it's a great phone and for me, a significant upgrade. it'll be this or one of the Nexus phones.

Last edited:

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
Since we can pre-order and wait, I am waiting to pre-order. I want to see what the Nexus from Huwawei is like before I make a final yes or no, right now its still yes.

eao1991

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
Since we can pre-order and wait, I am waiting to pre-order. I want to see what the Nexus from Huwawei is like before I make a final yes or no, right now its still yes.

I'm in the same boat. I originally planned on pre-ordering the first day, but I don't mind waiting a bit more to see what Huawei has to offer. I'm still a bit tempted to pre-order since the 14 day Moto return period will likely cover the September 29 Nexus event.

Posted via the Android Central App

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon