Moto X Pure Edition: Various Reviews

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
I answered your questions.

Here's one for you - all in the realm of hypothetical just as your "because Verizon" reasoning.

If Motorola says they didn't put a bigger battery in the Moto X Style because they didn't want the phone to be too thick, would you believe them or would you simply assume "because Verizon"?

But I expect you to deflect or dismiss these options and opinions and take personal digs at me because that's how you seem to operate.

There's likely more than one reason and I've already stayed yours is just as valid as mine. I just believe it can't be as simple as "because Verizon".

Posted via Android Central App (Moto X)

fair enough, I'll meet you half way and agree to disagree. and it's nothing personal.

hopefully a mod will erase our back and forth. or has nothing to do with the thread and went in a direction I didn't intend for our to go.

benjamminh

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
As long as you don't mind that janky UI and slower updates, you'll get a better camera and removable battery. I hear the Verizon G4 is especially buggy fwiw.

Ryaan Johnson

Aug 25, 2015
Visit site
Re: Moto X Pure Edition: Engadget Review

My Note 4 gets like 6-8 hours haha, so if it really lasts 8am-10pm like that one reviewer said), I'd be ecstatic :)

And yea, I really wasn't looking for a game changer with this phone. I was looking for all the stuff I want in a phone all rolled into one and it really is the only phone out there that has it. Every other phone either is too small, too big, not enough storage, not good enough processor, not good enough camera, etc etc etc... Moto X Pure seems to be "at least good enough" on every single front and that's what I want. We'll find out on the 15th :) haha

Exactly my thoughts. Motorola listened to what the consumer wanted instead of "trying to dictate to us what we should want".. If I wanted a iPhone I would have bought a iPhone.. Smh Samsung

Posted via the Android Central App

craZDude

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
I really don't like how all these places test and review batteries by doing a video loop test. People say that it doesn't reflect how phones are actually used, and I agree. I think an important part of that people don't mention is that the software developers aren't trying to optimize video loop battery, they are trying to optimize background usage of the battery while the screen is off. I care much more about the question "can it last me a full day?" and considering I had a bad LG G2 that was lucky to get 2 hors SOT, and when that broke am using a 2013 moto g, I'm sure it'll be more than fine for me.

RapidTurtle

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
As long as you don't mind that janky UI and slower updates, you'll get a better camera and removable battery. I hear the Verizon G4 is especially buggy fwiw.

I have read that about Verizon also. Not to worried though, as I have AT&T, and theirs is supposed to be much better. I'm going to miss some of the moto software though, but I find myself using the smartphone camera more and more, and take a lot of pics indoors, which my 14 moto x is really bad at.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I really don't like how all these places test and review batteries by doing a video loop test. People say that it doesn't reflect how phones are actually used, and I agree. I think an important part of that people don't mention is that the software developers aren't trying to optimize video loop battery, they are trying to optimize background usage of the battery while the screen is off. I care much more about the question "can it last me a full day?" and considering I had a bad LG G2 that was lucky to get 2 hors SOT, and when that broke am using a 2013 moto g, I'm sure it'll be more than fine for me.

Agreed!

slidesJ

Dec 21, 2014
Visit site
Re: Moto X Pure Edition: Engadget Review

Quote Originally Posted by bpe4 View Post
Cons: Camera, Battery Life, and questionable processor. You just highlighted the 3 most important aspects of any phone.

Yeah, I'm glad I was still hee-hawing between the Oneplus Two and Moto X, and those three things were the 3 biggest things I was worrying about the Moto X. I just ordered a Oneplus Two.

Really? Worried about the processor review, so you went with the 810?

Interesting.....

Anthony_NE

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
I have read that about Verizon also. Not to worried though, as I have AT&T, and theirs is supposed to be much better. I'm going to miss some of the moto software though, but I find myself using the smartphone camera more and more, and take a lot of pics indoors, which my 14 moto x is really bad at.

I did the same. Came from a '13 Moto X. The camera performed so poorly that I decided my next phone would have nothing short of the best camera out there, and in my opinion the G4 has it. The camera experience on this phone is amazing and I really like having a removable battery again, even though I easily get through the day on one. Unfortunately, everything else about this phone is not so good. "Janky software experience" is the perfect description. I pre-ordered my Moto X and eagerly await re-boarding the Motorola train come 9/15. I'm also on at&t.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
I can't help but notice we got a wave of reviews on release day from most sites that are (for the most part) not exactly the most reliable for accurate/detailed reviews and now nothing. Can't help but wonder if there is a reason the more reputable sites have not published reviews yet (to be more thorough). That, or they all got their devices later.

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
I can't help but notice we got a wave of reviews on release day from most sites that are (for the most part) not exactly the most reliable for accurate/detailed reviews and now nothing. Can't help but wonder if there is a reason the more reputable sites have not published reviews yet (to be more thorough). That, or they all got their devices later.
Early reviews are little more than what we got at the Moto press event. The better reviews are coming.

Arlizz

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
Camera in low light situations and processor are the two that put a frown on my face.

Perhaps the battery could have been a bit bigger too.

XDCX

May 14, 2011
Visit site

Kelex, the guy who runs Droid Life, commented in a post that Motorola only provided review units to very large media outlets - CNET, WSJ, Etc.

From Motorola's perspective it was probably a smart move because they'll benefit from two different waves of publicity.

Posted via Android Central App

On2Vegas

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
Camera in low light situations and processor are the two that put a frown on my face.

Perhaps the battery could have been a bit bigger too.

This is the second comment voicing a concern about the processor. The 808, while not the latest, is a proven and great performer. The 810 has the overheating issue and needs to be throttled. Now there's talk the 820 will probably be Q1 before it's in any phone. I don't think there is a problem.

Anthony_NE

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
This is the second comment voicing a concern about the processor. The 808, while not the latest, is a proven and great performer. The 810 has the overheating issue and needs to be throttled. Now there's talk the 820 will probably be Q1 before it's in any phone. I don't think there is a problem.

This. The only area where you MIGHT have an issue is with heavy gaming, and if gaming is your main reason for buying a phone there a many better options out there.

Anthony_NE

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site

It always happens this way though. It makes more sense for manufacturers to get mainstream exposure from heavily trafficked sites like CNET, VOX, WSJ etc because way more normies hit those sites than places like this or say Android Arena.

Arlizz

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
I'm gonna wait a week or more before passing final judgement though.

Later reviews are often more trustworthy and more thorough.

I saw a review by some pathetic channel called The Verge. Awful. They called the Moto X Pure a "mid-ranged" device.

Samsung.Galaxy.S3

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
I saw a review by some pathetic channel called The Verge. Awful. They called the Moto X Pure a "mid-ranged" device.

Remember, it is only their opinion based on their use and personal bias/preferences. A good photo for one person may not be good enough for another. Take the reviews with a grain of salt (or any spice you prefer) and don't be attached to them personally. They don't use the phone like you do.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
You can't expect every reviewer to call it the best thing ever and everything else sucks.

jephanie

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
I'm gonna wait a week or more before passing final judgement though.

Later reviews are often more trustworthy and more thorough.

At least they gave it 8.6 as their score. Considering it isn't an iPhone, that's pretty good.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk