Moto X Pure Edition: Various Reviews

djh2011

May 1, 2011
Visit site
Pretty certain there is no fingerprint scanner on the G4.

I think this phone puts it in the middle actually. The 808 I can understand with the heating issues of the 810. But OP2 went with the version 2 of 810 that was supposed to address those concerns. I don't need a fingerprint scanner. It would have been a "wish list", not a "must have." But, I am surprised that they would go as far as putting a 21mp camera, and 5mp camera upfront w/ flash, and leave out OIS. Just doesn't make sense. I can't imagine it would have added that much to the cost. I do feel they skimped out on a few things that could have made this "high end" without question. Because they did, some will just question the reasons and believe it isn't top notch. FWIW, I had the G4 and the 808 in that thing got pretty darn hot when using camera/video for a few mins.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
The G4 and Moto are nearly identical on many specs - the Moto X just has better software, front facing speakers, a better design and slashes the price by about a third.

The G4 is widely held as being better than the s6 so going to leave the s6 out other than saying Samsung screen quality is fantastic.

The X vs the Note 5 is the interesting question. So much is the same or similar that to say these are not both flagship level devices makes me wonder what the perceived difference is.

At the same price point, the X meets or beats the other flagships of this year in most categories. The places it isn't going to win are going to be screen accuracy, low light photos and random one off features that some people want and others don't care about.

What moto is doing, for the third time in a row, is putting out a device that goes toe to toe with the heavyweights despite being a much better value. This year they slimmed down the gap to where it may not even exist and kept the value proposition. There are complaints about that?

sent via Nexus Assassin Edition. Gonfaloniere.

djh2011

May 1, 2011
Visit site
I'm not going to complain. This will be my 2nd attempt at a Motorola device. (tried the Turbo for a little bit). However, I am looking for a device that will better my LG G3 camera. I do take a lot of inside photos of kid's competitions. Thus, I wish OIS was included. I do like that I will get a chance to enjoy nearly pure android, quicker updates, better software. Now, where is that damn phone? :)

Mdbills484

May 6, 2015
Visit site
Is it just me or is this phone...

just a placeholder? Doesn't seem to me intended as a flagship at all. Older chipset, mediocre camera and battery, no heart rate monitor, no fingerprint scanner(highly suspect since Marshmellow will go big on that). Inclusion of stereo speaker is a big so what, they've done nothing for Sony or HTC so clearly the market has spoken on that gimmick. Both upcoming Nexus's appear to be much smarter purchases IMO. Why anyone would buy one of these over a subsidized Note 5 or G4 escapes me, though if someone looks the custom options and doesnt ever use a case, then OK I guess.

I certainly hope Motorovo has something better in store for us soon.(and not on Verizon).

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
Re: Is it just me or is this phone...

I pretty much disagree with you across the board.

It's the best option for a chip right now. Camera and battery are yet to be determined by a reliable source but look positive. Fingerprint scanner means nothing to me. I like front speakers. Nexus fail on camera and battery every year so not too interested in those. Note 5 and g4 both have major flaws making them doa for me.

On2Vegas

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
My phone arrives some time today. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't worried about the battery. Engadget called it "mediocre" and for anyone to call a battery mediocre is enough to warrant some serious scrutiny of the device.
Gonna charge it full then blast away and see how long I can last straight internet, video, and texting.

Just going to repeat this, battery life on the 2014s got better after about a week of use. Don't let the first few days solidify your opinion of battery.

Also, I have always found Engadget's reviews inconsistent. For the S6 they simply said "Battery life could be better", yet that's many users main complaint about that phone. It likely depends on who reviews the device and what their "opinion" is of good battery life. I think the Pure will perform similarly to the 2014 X, but slightly better. A moderate-user (at least my opinion of what classifies this term) will get a full days use, but will charge every evening. It will not be satisfactory for a heavy-user (again my opinion).

Bottom line, wait at least a week before judging how this phone will perform.

Mdbills484

May 6, 2015
Visit site

I pretty much disagree with you across the board.

It's the best option for a chip right now. Camera and battery are yet to be determined by a reliable source but look positive. Fingerprint scanner means nothing to me. I like front speakers. Nexus fail on camera and battery every year so not too interested in those. Note 5 and g4 both have major flaws making them doa for me.

Everyone's mileage may vary of course, but you may be an exception, not the rule. There are literally dozens of reviews all making the same findings about camera and battery. By contrast the Note 5 is widely seen as good as it gets and is substantially cheaper on an upgrade.

anon(469638)

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site

just a placeholder? Doesn't seem to me intended as a flagship at all. Older chipset, mediocre camera and battery, no heart rate monitor, no fingerprint scanner(highly suspect since Marshmellow will go big on that). Inclusion of stereo speaker is a big so what, they've done nothing for Sony or HTC so clearly the market has spoken on that gimmick. Both upcoming Nexus's appear to be much smarter purchases IMO. Why anyone would buy one of these over a subsidized Note 5 or G4 escapes me, though if someone looks the custom options and doesnt ever use a case, then OK I guess.

I certainly hope Motorovo has something better in store for us soon.(and not on Verizon).

SD 808 is a new chipset released this year along with the 810. The SD 820 won't be seen till the tailend of this year or early next year. Camera is rated in the top five between the Galaxy S6, iPhone 6 Plus and G4. Battery life is easily all day.

Stereo speakers aren't a big deal...unitl to go back to a phone that doesn't include them.

As for the new Nexus devices...no one knows what they will actually be like. And if history is any indicator, they will have some combination of the following:

1. Have a terrible camera despite having a great senosr.
2. A badly calibrated display.
3. Good battery life, but strangely, not greater than skinned versions of phones.

Granted, Google may remedy these in one fell swoop. But that's yet to be seen.

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site

Everyone's mileage may vary of course, but you may be an exception, not the rule. There are literally dozens of reviews all making the same findings about camera and battery. By contrast the Note 5 is widely seen as good as it gets and is substantially cheaper on an upgrade.
How are there dozens of quality reviews up? They only sent out 6 review units and those reviewers all did quick 1 day use reviews.

(edit I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm saying it's too early to have the negative opinion of the phone you have described)

On2Vegas

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site

He's far from the exception, I agree 100% with Clocks. Also, the G4 you mentioned has the same chip as this phone.

Arlizz

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
Speaking of the Turbo, I hope they make a Turbo 2 (a real Turbo 2, not the international Play renaming mess) to succeed the X Pure as Motorola's next flagship device. I would jump to that instantly.

benjamminh

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site

Sounds like the Note 5 is your phone then. The great thing about Android is that we have such a variety of choice. Just remember that "upgrade/subsidized pricing" on Verizon for example is costing you $25 a month (the credit you get for bringing your own device). 25x12=$300x2 years=$600. (edge) or $20x12x2=$480 (their new plans)..hmmm...that upgrade/subsidized price isn't feeling like such a great deal now, does it?

Mdbills484

May 6, 2015
Visit site

How are there dozens of quality reviews up? They only sent out 6 review units and those reviewers all did quick 1 day use reviews.

(edit I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm saying it's too early to have the negative opinion of the phone you have described)

Let's see, CNet, Wired, The Verge, Android Authority, Engadget and that's just off the top of my head.

krazyatom

Trusted Member
Jan 4, 2015
Visit site

Nexus 5 would be similar to LG g4 in my prediction but stock android with 1080p screen.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

benjamminh

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site

Those reviews had both positive and negative comments but none of them were terribly detailed or in depth like you get from other outlets. Those reviews should be coming in the next week or two.

krazyatom

Trusted Member
Jan 4, 2015
Visit site

I really hope moto x pure is better than LG g4. I should be getting mine next Monday. If it's worst than LG g4, it will go back.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site

Indeed but I haven't seen complaints of lag on the G4 like on the Pure.

Where are the complaints about lag on the Pure? I have a G4 and it will lag at some point, depending on what you're doing.

It's not marketed as a top tier phone. Heck, it's $399 for the base device! Funny how Moto makes one device to use across all major carriers but no one else does (or will).

It's evident this isn't the device for you but it'll serve it's purpose for many of us.

gtg465x

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
LCD screen vs AMOLED
808 processor
No wireless charging
No fingerprint scanner
Camera performance

You can debate whether you want/care about these features, but all of the "high range" devices, (note 5, S6 edge+, LG G4, upcoming LG G4 pro/note, the two nexus phones if you want to throw those in) have them. I know the G4 has the same processor, but the G4 was released several months ago and has wireless charging ability, fingerprint scanner and (probably) a better camera, although that is yet to be determined.

I think this is a problem for Motorola.... If a group of Android enthusiasts, who are seriously considering getting this phone, can't figure out if it's hands down the best mid range phone in the world, or just an average high end device, how are they going to get it in the hands of the average Joe consumer?

Um, LCD screens are not lower end than AMOLED screens. They are just a different technology. Would you not consider the iPhone and LG G4 to be high end? Those both have LCD screens, and I and many others actually prefer LCD screens to AMOLED screens. No burn in to worry about and MUCH better uniformity and whites. Just go look up what type of computer screens professional designers, photographers, and video production engineers use... all professional grade screens are LCD. Also, the G4 doesn't have a fingerprint scanner either. And camera performance of the Moto X Pure is right up there with other flagships according to dpreview and dxomark, two camera websites that got early review samples to compare to other phones.

Listen, I have owned the Galaxy S6 and the G4, and I am selling them to get the Moto X Pure, not because it's cheaper, but because I genuinely think it is a better phone than those two. The only phone that really competes with the Moto X Pure in my opinion is the Note 5, but I think the Moto X Pure has much better software than Samsung, not to mention the fact that it's half the price.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463