Moto X Pure Edition: Various Reviews

Akuma

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
A common phrase I found in most of the reviews for this device was "good enough"

The processor is not great, but it's good enough.

Battery life is not phenomenal, but it's good enough.

The camera, while a massive improvement over previous Moto devices, isn't great, but it's good enough.

I find that I get so close to pulling the trigger and ordering one, staring at that black body with blue accents admiring how good it looks, but I just can't do it...I can't convince myself that I'm not settling for "good enough". The biggest hang up for me is the uncertainty with the camera, and while I'm sure it's improved I just don't trust Moto with it. I'm waiting to see real results from buyers and definitely more low light samples.

I think they said all the same things about the processor in the original moto x, and it still flies to this day (although lots of units are still on kit kat). The camera is clearly a big jump forward, more so than ever before.

For $400, customized I paid $450. And an SD card slot while everyone else is phasing them out? The Android geeks always demand this feature and I feel that moto isn't getting enough praise for listening.

Last year the issue with the display was that it wasn't 4k, now it is and people worry that the battery *only* increased about 27% in size, while ppi only increased about 105? (I'm not looking up info ATM, my daughter is taking a quick nap, it's me time).

The worry about the LCD panel dreading l draining the battery, yet no reviewer has opened the battery usage and down the moto app on the high end of battery drain (again, not fact checking... I haven't seen one, please link if there is).

Just my 10 cents!

Posted via the Android Central App

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
This device for most folks should be great. It is fringe folks like me that are the issue ;) My fault for ordering one and now crying about battery life concerns compared to the Note 4. I will however call Moto and find out what is being done to recover the missing storage on the 64gb model. That IMO is silly for Moto to tout not being bloated and being "Pure", but have 5gb less storage than the Note 5. Ironic stuff.

jpr196

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Re: Is it just me or is this phone...

I keep seeing all this talk about fingerprint scanners, and I don't understand how such a thing could be useful. Can somebody explain the use-cases for them?

-- Rob

I like the fingerprint scanner on my Ipad Air 2. It's just a quicker way to unlock the device for my uses. However, it's by no means a must have item for me.

soma4society

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
Yes. The other night my Nexus 5 went from 55% to 18%. Just by constantly waking up throughout the night for some reason.

I'll have to see what my experience with it is, but I'm thinking about rooting. I used to use DS Battery saver & Greenify and got spectacular standby times on my G3. With this phone likely to be just "o.k." in the SOT department, minimizing the loss of battery life while it's idle may be even more important.

Posted via my Ascend Mate 7 or my "soon to be" Moto X Pure

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
This device for most folks should be great. It is fringe folks like me that are the issue ;) My fault for ordering one and now crying about battery life concerns compared to the Note 4. I will however call Moto and find out what is being done to recover the missing storage on the 64gb model. That IMO is silly for Moto to tout not being bloated and being "Pure", but have 5gb less storage than the Note 5. Ironic stuff.
Lol good luck calling Moto and asking a rep to explain about the storage. As far as battery life this is on par with other current flagships like my Note 5.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

bkircher

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
Question about the new moto x back plastic cover. Is it made of the same material as the new moto g or is it something different? Anyone here order the red leather?

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
Question about the new moto x back plastic cover. Is it made of the same material as the new moto g or is it something different? Anyone here order the red leather?
I've read it's different. Moto g is hard plastic with a pattern. MXPE is is softer (but not mushy) with a pattern.

benjamminh

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
I haven't been wearing jeans since it's too warm for that, but I wouldn't say it sticks like tpu at all. I'd like it a touch grippier, but it's nice to hold.

whymista

Jan 16, 2012
Visit site
Does it slide in and out of Jean pockets smoothly? Doesn't catch like a really soft tpu case?

Posted via the Android Central App
I have been in jeans all day and it goes in and out just fine. Definitely doesn't catch like a soft like squishy rubberized back.

Yut Kill

Scratch4

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site
Re: Is it just me or is this phone...

I keep seeing all this talk about fingerprint scanners, and I don't understand how such a thing could be useful. Can somebody explain the use-cases for them?

-- Rob

For me I think it's very useful if you live/work in a big city. I work in the density populated NYC, and I'm always surrounded by people (on the streets, in the subway, etc). It would be very easy for someone to peak over my shoulder and see me type in my pin code then just swipe my phone from my hands, despite being careful. Having to not worry about that and just use my finger would be a great thing. Especially when putting in my password for sensitive bank apps.

Plus I think one of the primary points of it when Apple added it to the iphone was to give an option to people who don't use any type of security at all.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Re: So who's happy with their new Moto pure.

Marshmellow wont do anything.. Remember when they said lollipop will help with battery life.. Yea it sure did..

Just like ART was supposed to be a savior with Lollipop and all it does is drain more battery and take up 15% to 20% more storage space. Media lapped up Android team's BS none the less. You still get the media touting devices getting Lollipop with excitement and exclamation points.

streetkilln

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site

Just like ART was supposed to be a savior with Lollipop and all it does is drain more battery and take up 15% to 20% more storage space. Media lapped up Android team's BS none the less. You still get the media touting devices getting Lollipop with excitement and exclamation points.
Pretty much, remember all the hype

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site

Nice follow-up of a review from a person that actually uses the Pure (unlike use em' and leave em' media reviews). I value this dude's view on devices and he really likes the Pure and puts things in perspective. Good stuff. He just needs to adjust the background music down a tad :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EK94b6ZDv8

VoltaicShock

Nov 18, 2009
Visit site

Nice follow-up of a review from a person that actually uses the Pure (unlike use em' and leave em' media reviews). I value this dude's view on devices and he really likes the Pure and puts things in perspective. Good stuff. He just needs to adjust the background music down a tad :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EK94b6ZDv8

That was a great video of someone who has actually used the phone. I liked music and it fit well but yeah it could have been lower.