09-24-2015 10:39 AM
106 ... 2345
tools
    Yeah the more internal storage the better. I bought a phone with only 4gb internal storage with 2gb user available because i thought i would download all the apps and games to my sd card so it would not be an issue. But only after buying the phone did i realize that you cannot move the huge app data to sd card in Android.
    The problem is reviewers. Yes The people and websites who review phones. I did read lots of reviews all of which read like "The Moto E has only 4gb internal storage with 2.2gb user available but that is easily remedied with expandable storage. ".
    Remedied my ***. All the reviews mislead me into thinking that means everything can be stored/moved/downloaded to sd card because not one review clearly stated that app data cannot be moved and that you cannot download directly to sd card from play store.
    You can blame me not knowing this beforehand but i was using Windows phone 8 before and you could download directly to sd card so i thought of course Android would able to do this too since you know android is supposed to be better than Windows phone.
    But anyway my point is go for the maximum storage you can afford. Period.
    Ntchwaidumela likes this.
    09-19-2015 03:05 AM
    I always took max as it is possible to buy. If I switch from Nexus 6 to Moto X Pure Edition than I'll take 64Gb version as well plus 128Gb SD card. I have music 40Gb plus 80Gb of music video HD and Full HD quality. It is nice if you haven't to worry about storage. At the moment my storage with preinstalled apps and downloaded Here maps took 27Gb.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
    09-19-2015 08:03 AM
    newb here. i've had android phones without expandable memory. whats the advantage of the memory being built in as opposed to on an SD chip? the moto x looks better than the OnePlus 2 i just received in the mail so its going on ol'ebay.

I don't use many apps. I rarely have more than 2-3 movies on my phone for when I travel. Couldn't I just drag and drop those onto the phone's microsd chip while its plugged in to my laptop?
    09-19-2015 05:27 PM
    If the apps that you use don't require much space, then sure just get the 16gb . keep in mind that you only have 9gb free out of the box on the 16gb, but you really shouldn't go below 1gb,so you really should be keeping 8gb of apps /data.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 5
    dmark44 likes this.
    09-19-2015 05:33 PM
    I can say with certainty that getting down to less than 1GB free starts causing performance issues on my 2013 Moto X.

Personally, I like to have at least 50% of the storage free when I first set up a new computing device or smartphone with everything I want on it. Otherwise I know I'll be managing storage later on out of necessity.
    09-19-2015 09:07 PM
    For the extra fifty bucks to double the storage, you can't really go wrong. I switch devices pretty often and I can tell you a 32gb device is more appealing for resale than a 16gb. While I haven't had any issues with my SD Card, I do have more trust with the internal storage. I'll keep the important stuff on the internal side and other stuff like movies, funny pics, music, etc on the SD Card.
    Ntchwaidumela and dmark44 like this.
    09-19-2015 09:15 PM
    Couple reasons come to mind. Access to phone memory is usually faster than to a Card. Personally I have never had phone memory fail but have had cards fail.

At least at the present, many apps can not run from or write to a card. It is believed this will change when we can make Smores [Android 6 - Marshmallow]. Some folks use multi cards to swap movies, books, pictures, etc. between their computer and phone.

It really is a matter of personal preference. Since I am a little disappointed in the 16GB of memory in my tablet, I ordered 32GB and will probably use a card for storage of pictures, books and other data.
    dmark44 likes this.
    09-19-2015 09:20 PM
    I prefer internal storage versus SD card storage which can corrupt easily (as least from my experience).
    09-20-2015 02:24 AM
    I prefer internal storage versus SD card storage which can corrupt easily (as least from my experience).
    Is that not normally the quality of the SD Card rather than a problem with SD Cards being used as external storage?

Sent from S3 via Tapatalk App.
    09-20-2015 07:35 AM
    Just for stress testing and giggles, I loaded my entire active library of apps. All 40GB and have 8.5GB still free. Also have a 200GB Sandisk. The Cloud is for rain and shade
    09-20-2015 04:53 PM
    Is that not normally the quality of the SD Card rather than a problem with SD Cards being used as external storage?

Hm?

Just for stress testing and giggles, I loaded my entire active library of apps. All 40GB and have 8.5GB still free. Also have a 200GB Sandisk. The Cloud is for rain and shade
    Not for me . The cloud holds it all so I don't have to... I do have unlimited data though so that helps.
    09-20-2015 05:37 PM
    I won't even bother with the external storage. I haven't used it in years and don't plan to now. And 16GB isn't enough, so I sprung for 32GB.
    09-20-2015 05:39 PM
    Hm?
    Lol.

You said External storage can corrupt easily. I was just saying isnt that normally the fault of buying cheap SD Cards rather than a common fault with having SD Cards as external storage.

I and My family only buy Class 10 SD Cards amd never had any issues at all.

If I'm talking gibberish then I blame the fact I have been awake for 20hours lol.

09-20-2015 07:58 PM
    Lol.

You said External storage can corrupt easily. I was just saying isnt that normally the fault of buying cheap SD Cards rather than a common fault with having SD Cards as external storage.

I and My family only buy Class 10 SD Cards amd never had any issues at all.

If I'm talking gibberish then I blame the fact I have been awake for 20hours lol.

No it isn't the case of a cheap card. I always bought name brand ones like SanDisk and twice they corrupted on me. Therefore I don't like SD cards anymore.

Not everyone has had this experience and that's okay.. I'm simply stating as to why I don't like them.
    Ntchwaidumela and GeordieAffy like this.
    09-20-2015 08:01 PM
    Marshmallow 6.0 is supposed to allow you to use external memory just like internal memory. You can store apps, etc., just like in your phone's memory. But I still purchased the 64GB version and have a 128GB microSD card installed. You can never have too much memory.

Posted via the Android Central App
    Uncle Louie likes this.
    09-20-2015 11:10 PM
    No it isn't the case of a cheap card. I always bought name brand ones like SanDisk and twice they corrupted on me. Therefore I don't like SD cards anymore.

Not everyone has had this experience and that's okay.. I'm simply stating as to why I don't like them.
    Try Samsung cards.

09-20-2015 11:12 PM
    Try Samsung cards.

I am good for now. I have 64 GB internal + unlimited data so I don't think I will run into an issue.
    09-21-2015 12:18 AM
    Try Samsung cards.

I am good for now. I have 64 GB internal + unlimited data so I don't think I will run into an issue.
    I don't think I'll have issues either with the 64 GB model and 30 GB of data per month, but I do have a 32 GB Samsung card around.

Sent from my rooted Nexus 7 (2013) using Tapatalk
    Almeuit and Ntchwaidumela like this.
    09-21-2015 12:40 AM
    If you have root access to your phone... then you could easily write to the SD Card from any app.
    09-21-2015 09:02 PM
    If you have root access to your phone... then you could easily write to the SD Card from any app.
    Yes but surely theres some lag involved and its not as smooth if the device was reading from internal memory.

Could be completely wrong but thats what I was always led to believe.

09-22-2015 02:09 AM
    I got a 16gb pure and use a 16gb SD card. I moved some apps to the SD card. But I face intermittent issues of the app crashing.

So, I would suggest getting a phone with more internal storage. My phone has only 4.6 gb remaining. Every pic and songs are on the SD card

09-22-2015 11:45 PM
    Since this phone will most likely get Marshmallow by the end of October it won't matter since word is Marshmallow will bring back full app installation to MicroSD.
    09-23-2015 10:24 AM
    Since this phone will most likely get Marshmallow by the end of October it won't matter since word is Marshmallow will bring back full app installation to MicroSD.
    So they tell us. At this point in time, the changes should be solid. But it seems like there is always a surprise or two in a release.
    09-23-2015 11:00 AM
    Hm?

Not for me . The cloud holds it all so I don't have to... I do have unlimited data though so that helps.
    Me too, but in plenty of places where there is no service (planes, road trips, mountain areas), so prefer it local. Also less battery use- especially LTE
    09-23-2015 12:55 PM
    Me too, but in plenty of places where there is no service (planes, road trips, mountain areas), so prefer it local. Also less battery use- especially LTE
    Understandable. I have the 64 GB version so I have some internal storage. Battery isn't a worry for me. I have chargers all around me, car chargers, and battery packs.
    09-23-2015 01:03 PM
106 ... 2345