Internal Memory vs. micro SD cards?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Re: Questions about SD Card usage

Most of the time, the answer to that is yes. The caveat is that it really depends on the app you're using. Some apps don't support saving offline files to SD card, but if you have your music/movie collection in your computer and are just trying to watch it on your phone, then yes, having all that in an SD card (sounds like 64GB would be enough for you, but you can go up as high as 128GB if you wish) would be entirely doable.

p08757

** Superhero **
Oct 22, 2009
Visit site

Most of the time, the answer to that is yes. The caveat is that it really depends on the app you're using. Some apps don't support saving offline files to SD card, but if you have your music/movie collection in your computer and are just trying to watch it on your phone, then yes, having all that in an SD card (sounds like 64GB would be enough for you, but you can go up as high as 128GB if you wish) would be entirely doable.

I use Google Play Music and Google Play Movies to "PIN" my music and movies to my phone. This downloads a copy from the cloud and places them in device storage. I do NOT want to copy my music from my computer as most of the music I want on my device only lives in the Google Cloud.

thejesse

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site

I use Google Play Music and Google Play Movies to "PIN" my music and movies to my phone. This downloads a copy from the cloud and places them in device storage. I do NOT want to copy my music from my computer as most of the music I want on my device only lives in the Google Cloud.

I know you can "pin" Google Play Music to SD. I think the same is true of movies but I haven't done it for a while.

Posted via the Android Central App

p08757

** Superhero **
Oct 22, 2009
Visit site

I know you can "pin" Google Play Music to SD. I think the same is true of movies but I haven't done it for a while.

Thanks! This will probably save me $50.00 when I order. I'm still waiting on a good full review from the fine gentlemen from Android Central. I also want to see what the next Nexus has to offer. I will probably be ordering something new around the November time frame.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site

Black Friday Sales! :) Or at least wait for the holiday offers. Those are usually very attractive.

bmidd

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
Re: Internal storage vs SD card

UHS-1 cards work just fine recording 4K video on GoPro Hero 4 BE all day long.

solgol

Mar 15, 2015
Visit site
Like a previous post mentioner, it depends on what you use. I take many photos and store on phone.....for this purpose sd card is great.

lilnate

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
Storage on Micro SD

So im about to order the Pure Edition here in the next hour or so but im deciding on the storage to actually order. Ive never had a phone that had microsd card support so im not sure how android actually works with it. Is there anything that cant be put or used on the microsd card? Can apps be moved to run off the card to free up device storage.

I guess what im asking, is how does the operating system work with microsd card, and is it worth the $50 to order the 32gb instead of just the base 16gb.

Carlos Gonzalez7

Sep 7, 2013
Visit site
Re: Storage on Micro SD

From what others have told me, micro SD cards will hold photos, music, and other files but its a hit or miss with apps. Most apps won't be able to be moved to the card, so be cautious. You only get 10gb or so from the 16gb model so you could put all your music and pictures on your SD and have the whole internal towards games and apps.

This will change once Android M comes around in the fall, but people still have their counts, and its not sure. I myself will go with the 16gb and hope for the android M feature to work with micro SDs.

metacuate

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
That's right, marshmallow has native support for sd cards, so it will encrypt it and make it like internal storage. But you don't be able to switch it between phones

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
That's right, marshmallow has native support for sd cards, so it will encrypt it and make it like internal storage. But you don't be able to switch it between phones

Yep, but apparently you can also just use the card for media and not integrate. Encryption can impede performance. I got the "64g" so apps are just on phone. Put parentheses since the storage is missing at least 4gb.

jvs60

May 12, 2010
Visit site
I purchased the Samsung Pro Plus which has a read speed of 95/MB and write of 90/MB which i'm almost certain is faster than the internal memory of most phones.

mohit9206

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
Yeah the more internal storage the better. I bought a phone with only 4gb internal storage with 2gb user available because i thought i would download all the apps and games to my sd card so it would not be an issue. But only after buying the phone did i realize that you cannot move the huge app data to sd card in Android.
The problem is reviewers. Yes The people and websites who review phones. I did read lots of reviews all of which read like "The Moto E has only 4gb internal storage with 2.2gb user available but that is easily remedied with expandable storage. ".
Remedied my ***. All the reviews mislead me into thinking that means everything can be stored/moved/downloaded to sd card because not one review clearly stated that app data cannot be moved and that you cannot download directly to sd card from play store.
You can blame me not knowing this beforehand but i was using Windows phone 8 before and you could download directly to sd card so i thought of course Android would able to do this too since you know android is supposed to be better than Windows phone.
But anyway my point is go for the maximum storage you can afford. Period.

WP7Nettwerk

May 21, 2015
Visit site
I always took max as it is possible to buy. If I switch from Nexus 6 to Moto X Pure Edition than I'll take 64Gb version as well plus 128Gb SD card. I have music 40Gb plus 80Gb of music video HD and Full HD quality. It is nice if you haven't to worry about storage. At the moment my storage with preinstalled apps and downloaded Here maps took 27Gb.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

mboon1985

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
why pay for 32/64 gb when it has MicroSD?

newb here. i've had android phones without expandable memory. whats the advantage of the memory being built in as opposed to on an SD chip? the moto x looks better than the OnePlus 2 i just received in the mail so its going on ol'ebay.

I don't use many apps. I rarely have more than 2-3 movies on my phone for when I travel. Couldn't I just drag and drop those onto the phone's microsd chip while its plugged in to my laptop?

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Re: why pay for 32/64 gb when it has MicroSD?

If the apps that you use don't require much space, then sure just get the 16gb . keep in mind that you only have 9gb free out of the box on the 16gb, but you really shouldn't go below 1gb,so you really should be keeping 8gb of apps /data.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 5

dmark44

Mar 2, 2012
Visit site
Re: why pay for 32/64 gb when it has MicroSD?

I can say with certainty that getting down to less than 1GB free starts causing performance issues on my 2013 Moto X.

Personally, I like to have at least 50% of the storage free when I first set up a new computing device or smartphone with everything I want on it. Otherwise I know I'll be managing storage later on out of necessity.