Internal Memory vs. micro SD cards?

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Re: why pay for 32/64 gb when it has MicroSD?

For the extra fifty bucks to double the storage, you can't really go wrong. I switch devices pretty often and I can tell you a 32gb device is more appealing for resale than a 16gb. While I haven't had any issues with my SD Card, I do have more trust with the internal storage. I'll keep the important stuff on the internal side and other stuff like movies, funny pics, music, etc on the SD Card.

BlueBlazer60

Oct 8, 2014
Visit site

Couple reasons come to mind. Access to phone memory is usually faster than to a Card. Personally I have never had phone memory fail but have had cards fail.

At least at the present, many apps can not run from or write to a card. It is believed this will change when we can make Smores [Android 6 - Marshmallow]. Some folks use multi cards to swap movies, books, pictures, etc. between their computer and phone.

It really is a matter of personal preference. Since I am a little disappointed in the 16GB of memory in my tablet, I ordered 32GB and will probably use a card for storage of pictures, books and other data.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

I prefer internal storage versus SD card storage which can corrupt easily (as least from my experience).

GeordieAffy

Aug 27, 2015
Visit site

I prefer internal storage versus SD card storage which can corrupt easily (as least from my experience).
Is that not normally the quality of the SD Card rather than a problem with SD Cards being used as external storage?

Sent from S3 via Tapatalk App.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site

Just for stress testing and giggles, I loaded my entire active library of apps. All 40GB and have 8.5GB still free. Also have a 200GB Sandisk. The Cloud is for rain and shade :) ;)

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Is that not normally the quality of the SD Card rather than a problem with SD Cards being used as external storage?

Hm?

Just for stress testing and giggles, I loaded my entire active library of apps. All 40GB and have 8.5GB still free. Also have a 200GB Sandisk. The Cloud is for rain and shade :) ;)

Not for me :D. The cloud holds it all so I don't have to... I do have unlimited data though so that helps.

Channan

Keyboard Warrior
Mar 21, 2010
Visit site

I won't even bother with the external storage. I haven't used it in years and don't plan to now. And 16GB isn't enough, so I sprung for 32GB.

GeordieAffy

Aug 27, 2015
Visit site

Lol.

You said External storage can corrupt easily. I was just saying isnt that normally the fault of buying cheap SD Cards rather than a common fault with having SD Cards as external storage.

I and My family only buy Class 10 SD Cards amd never had any issues at all.

If I'm talking gibberish then I blame the fact I have been awake for 20hours lol.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Lol.

You said External storage can corrupt easily. I was just saying isnt that normally the fault of buying cheap SD Cards rather than a common fault with having SD Cards as external storage.

I and My family only buy Class 10 SD Cards amd never had any issues at all.

If I'm talking gibberish then I blame the fact I have been awake for 20hours lol.

No it isn't the case of a cheap card. I always bought name brand ones like SanDisk and twice they corrupted on me. Therefore I don't like SD cards anymore.

Not everyone has had this experience and that's okay.. I'm simply stating as to why I don't like them.

Ntchwaidumela

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Marshmallow 6.0 is supposed to allow you to use external memory just like internal memory. You can store apps, etc., just like in your phone's memory. But I still purchased the 64GB version and have a 128GB microSD card installed. You can never have too much memory.

Posted via the Android Central App

Ntchwaidumela

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site

No it isn't the case of a cheap card. I always bought name brand ones like SanDisk and twice they corrupted on me. Therefore I don't like SD cards anymore.

Not everyone has had this experience and that's okay.. I'm simply stating as to why I don't like them.

Try Samsung cards.

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site

Try Samsung cards.

I am good for now. I have 64 GB internal + unlimited data so I don't think I will run into an issue.
I don't think I'll have issues either with the 64 GB model and 30 GB of data per month, but I do have a 32 GB Samsung card around.

Sent from my rooted Nexus 7 (2013) using Tapatalk

GeordieAffy

Aug 27, 2015
Visit site
Re: Internal storage vs SD card

If you have root access to your phone... then you could easily write to the SD Card from any app.
Yes but surely theres some lag involved and its not as smooth if the device was reading from internal memory.

Could be completely wrong but thats what I was always led to believe.

krishnansasikumar

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
I got a 16gb pure and use a 16gb SD card. I moved some apps to the SD card. But I face intermittent issues of the app crashing.

So, I would suggest getting a phone with more internal storage. My phone has only 4.6 gb remaining. Every pic and songs are on the SD card

Gfan93

Sep 23, 2015
Visit site
Since this phone will most likely get Marshmallow by the end of October it won't matter since word is Marshmallow will bring back full app installation to MicroSD.

BlueBlazer60

Oct 8, 2014
Visit site
Since this phone will most likely get Marshmallow by the end of October it won't matter since word is Marshmallow will bring back full app installation to MicroSD.

So they tell us. At this point in time, the changes should be solid. But it seems like there is always a surprise or two in a release.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site

Hm?

Not for me :D. The cloud holds it all so I don't have to... I do have unlimited data though so that helps.

Me too, but in plenty of places where there is no service (planes, road trips, mountain areas), so prefer it local. Also less battery use- especially LTE :)

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Me too, but in plenty of places where there is no service (planes, road trips, mountain areas), so prefer it local. Also less battery use- especially LTE

Understandable. I have the 64 GB version so I have some internal storage. Battery isn't a worry for me. I have chargers all around me, car chargers, and battery packs.