09-24-2015 09:39 AM
106 123 ...
tools
    Is there an advantage to internal storage other than faster read write times? Why buy a phone with larger internal storage when it has an SD slot? That combined with cloud storage, why pay for the upgrade?
    09-02-2015 09:42 PM
    Because on Lollipop and older, you can't write to the SD card like you can to the internal storage. You're pretty much limited to media. Whereas on internal you can also store apps. 64GB of internal is better than 16 internal + 64 external
    09-02-2015 09:52 PM
    Internal is also more reliable.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 5
    Ntchwaidumela likes this.
    09-02-2015 10:01 PM
    Is there an advantage to internal storage other than faster read write times? Why buy a phone with larger internal storage when it has an SD slot? That combined with cloud storage, why pay for the upgrade?
    IMO it depends what you're using the storage for and why. both have their strengths and weaknesses
    Jay Sacks likes this.
    09-02-2015 10:14 PM
    SD storage can't be used for installing apps. Some app data can go on them, and of course music/photos, but otherwise internal is all you get unless you use workarounds that can lead to other issues.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk
    Ntchwaidumela likes this.
    09-02-2015 10:53 PM
    On one of my previous phones that had 32GB internal, I used a 32 GB Micro SD to make a continuous backup. There are a few good backup programs. I plan on doing the same with my 64GB X Pure.
    dmark44 likes this.
    09-02-2015 11:33 PM
    I read an article (Engadget I believe) that said the reviewers 32gb Moto X Pure had 24gb of usable space available. This leads me to believe that the 16gb version would have only 8gb usable storage available. Can anyone confirm or correct me?

Posted via the Android Central App
    09-02-2015 11:57 PM
    I read an article (Engadget I believe) that said the reviewers 32gb Moto X Pure had 24gb of usable space available. This leads me to believe that the 16gb version would have only 8gb usable storage available. Can anyone confirm or correct me?

The 32gb Moto X had 24gb available to the user and the 16gb model had 10gb available.

Edit: I am referring to the 2014 Moto X. I haven't seen info on the Pure edition.
    ibleedbloo likes this.
    09-03-2015 12:45 AM
    I prefer to have more internal storage. While the built in apps will probably handle files and media on the SD card just fine, 3rd party apps are hit and miss. Some apps (such as photo editing apps and music apps) won't handle external storage at all or you can only use internal OR external storage but not both.
    09-03-2015 12:56 AM

probably closer to 11-13GB. 32GB formatted drops to about 27GB so it looks like the system partition is about 3GB

as far as internal vs external

until marshmallow drops for the X, SD storage support to install app (and even app data to an extent) is flakey at best and non-existent at worst.

i went for 32GB so i can have some breathing room until Marshmallow when i can merge my 64gb card with the 32GB internal.

plus speed and reliability.
    09-03-2015 01:51 AM
    I've also been reading about issues with Google photos not playing well with SD cards. Such is the case on my G3. It used to work together fine then an update or 2 ago, to Google photos, I can no longer delete photos on the SD card with the photos app.
    Point being I'm concerned maybe google might start leaning that way with other things as well which is making me lean toward more internal storage if and when I get the new X.

09-03-2015 11:06 AM
    I went with the 16GB version but i was told that the sd card would support apps on the sd card.. was i given miss information?
    09-03-2015 06:51 PM
    I went with the 16GB version but i was told that the sd card would support apps on the sd card.. was i given miss information?
    Some app may not saved to your SD card. That's more like app developer restrictions.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk
    dmark44 likes this.
    09-03-2015 07:02 PM
    Can someone recommend a reliable micro SD card model for 4k video shooting?
    Plan to get a 32/64g one.
    Thanks!

Posted via Nexus 4
    09-03-2015 11:39 PM
    Not from experience but from what I read, SanDisk extreme or extreme pro. Not sure if the ultra is fast enough.
    09-04-2015 06:40 AM
    question guys i made an order of a 16 gb verison thinking it would be fine with my 64 gb micro sd card. Should i stick with that or cancel the order and go for a 32gb verion because of the apps not being able to be stored on the sd card. However with android M coming out this fall it will support apps on the sd card and being that we should get the update fairly quick its a toss up... what should i do guys
    09-04-2015 06:55 AM
    Hi guys i'm looking for some support i bought a 16GB Moto X thinking that i could use my 64gb sd card for apps but im hearing differently that some apps may not work on SD. Should i cancel my order and go with a 32GB Moto X or stick with the 16GB phone, because i hear once Android M is available this fall you call store apps on the SD card.
    09-04-2015 07:06 AM
    question guys i made an order of a 16 gb verison thinking it would be fine with my 64 gb micro sd card. Should i stick with that or cancel the order and go for a 32gb verion because of the apps not being able to be stored on the sd card. However with android M coming out this fall it will support apps on the sd card and being that we should get the update fairly quick its a toss up... what should i do guys
    Kinda depends on what your individual use is as far as what you do. Gaming? Video? Irreplaceable data/photos, etc? I can get away with a 16gb while using a card. Now if Moto didn't offer a micro slot, I wouldn't even look at at 16gb. But for the 50 buck difference for the double storage you can't go wrong. If anything, you'll get a little extra when (or if) you resell for the next device.
    09-04-2015 07:09 AM
    I struggled with that same question. I eventually went with the 32gb version, but it was close. Supposedly M will have much better integration of cards, even the option of treating an sd card as internal storage and merging it. The downside if you do that is that card can then only be used in that device. I like the peace of mind knowing that I have plenty of internal memory for the operating system and apps, but if I had ordered a custom Pure and canceling the order means a few week's delay, I might just keep the order for the 16gb. One caveat would be if you play games that take a lot of space, the 32gb internal might be the way to go.
    09-04-2015 07:11 AM
    i do download a lot of apps partly because my kids like to play kiddie games on my phone but in regard to saving huge video and audio file not really. A few GBs in music a decent amount of camera videos taken but ya alot of apps though
    09-04-2015 07:13 AM
    I've never had a phone with an sd card before. If I use Google play music and move music to the sd card for offline playback, does it use the Internet connection to stream music even if I am online, or will it play it locally without using data?

XT1060
    09-04-2015 07:39 AM
    I would advise to store apps on the internal memory. For large app data like gpm music download or whatever, that can be on the sd.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 5
    Ntchwaidumela and dmark44 like this.
    09-04-2015 07:43 AM
    I too would recommend a minimum of 32GB internal storage for app installation and using the SD card for media storage.

Riccardo C and dmark44 like this.
    09-04-2015 08:28 AM
    It should play locally if the music is on the sd card.
    09-04-2015 09:06 AM
    I went with the 16 GB, and I'll augment that with a 64 GB SD card. I expect all of my apps will EASILY fit on the internal storage.

Oh, and rumor has it that with Marshmallow, there won't be much (any?) difference between SD card and internal storage.
    Riccardo C and bpe4 like this.
    09-04-2015 09:13 AM
106 123 ...