What are your favorite cases for the Moto X Pure Edition?

radgatt

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
That's cool with me. Just ready for the case to show up now.

The case arrived yesterday (Sunday) morning. I wasn't expecting it until today. I like the case so far. It really doesn't add any unnecessary bulk to the phone. I will have to get used to the buttons, especially the volume buttons on the phone. At the same time I'd rather have the buttons covered then exposed. I will be keeping the case. I just hope the clear doesn't get too dirty too quickly. For anyone interested I ended up with this case...

http://www.amazon.com/Invisible-Xtr...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU4943533

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I broke the stock bumper near the volume rocker. Looks like there is no option for a clear bumper-only case.

anon(9268751)

May 28, 2015
Visit site
Has anyone tried the Poetic Affinity clear case on Amazon?

Posted via the Android Central App

I received this case today. Like it so far. It has ridges along the sides which make it very easy to grip. The back is mostly clear except for translucent reinforcements. The bumper on the front is raised slightly above the speaker grill but not by much. The buttons are covered but operate easily. The case is hard not flexible and seems quite sturdy.

Dom12

Dec 23, 2013
Visit site
I received this case today. Like it so far. It has ridges along the sides which make it very easy to grip. The back is mostly clear except for translucent reinforcements. The bumper on the front is raised slightly above the speaker grill but not by much. The buttons are covered but operate easily. The case is hard not flexible and seems quite sturdy.

Is the back really slick, or is there any grip there? I currently have a "Moto X Pure VENA RETAIN Case" from Amazon, which is TPU rubber on the sides, and polycarbonate on the back, similar to the Poetic Affinity (if I'm looking at the right one). The sides of the VENA were smooth, and even tho it's TPU, it was very slick. I actually roughed the sides up w/ sandpaper so it would have some grip to it. The back is still very slick tho. I like the clear back, but I'd like it to have a little grip on the back too.

anon(9268751)

May 28, 2015
Visit site
Is the back really slick, or is there any grip there? I currently have a "Moto X Pure VENA RETAIN Case" from Amazon, which is TPU rubber on the sides, and polycarbonate on the back, similar to the Poetic Affinity (if I'm looking at the right one). The sides of the VENA were smooth, and even tho it's TPU, it was very slick. I actually roughed the sides up w/ sandpaper so it would have some grip to it. The back is still very slick tho. I like the clear back, but I'd like it to have a little grip on the back too.

I would say there is some grip on the back mainly from the two translucent raised lines that run from top to bottom about a 1/2 in from the edge of the back. You'll see these two lines in the main picture on Amazon. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU4947793

ScottMGS

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
Has anyone found a case which has no lip overlapping the sides of the screen? I don't mind having the lip at the top and bottom of the screen but the bezel on this phone is so narrow on the sides that the lip on the cases I've seen make it hard to do the swipe-from-left/right motion that is a standard Android action, now.

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
Wondering if anyone tried coloring, painting their included bumper that came with the MXP. Another way to change it up a bit. Could open some design possibilities, another color tone. Was thinking of doing it.

MaddKatter

Jan 31, 2016
Visit site
Got a glass case on my old Samsung Galaxy S3. Does not interfere at all with touch screen response. Goes on beautifully with NO BUBBLES, which makes everything oodles easier to see.
Smudges easily, but super easy to wipe clean. Looks good too.

Dom12

Dec 23, 2013
Visit site
I now have 3 cases in addition to the stock bumper. I don't like the bumper, tho I kinda like the concept. I want a minimalist case, enough to protect from scratches and very minor drops. I've never broken a phone dropping it, and the stoutest case I've ever had was the Diztronic TPU case I used on my GS3.

The first case I got was this Cimo. I really like the fit and feel of the Cimo. It offers good grip, the cutouts are all where they should be, and there aren't any sharp spots. I wish it were clear tho, as the frosted color obscures the bamboo back on my MXPE. I knew this when I bought it, so can't blame them. It's pretty thin, but it seems like they should be able to go a little thinner.

The second case I got was this Vena Retain. I liked the clear back and the overall look, and the cutouts were all as perfect as they could be, but it had too many problems for me. You can see my full review here, but my main complaints were:
1) There is a seam between the PC back and TPU sides of the case that is a little sharp.
2) The case is quite slippery. Aside from the power & volume buttons, the only texture on the sides is the little VENA logo on the button side. The other side is smooth top to bottom. And unlike other TPU cases I've had, this is glossy-smooth and slick. The back is polycarbonate, and it's even slicker than the TPU sides.
I'm actually curious if it would be possible to separate the TPU & PC parts of the case and make the TPU part into a bumper case, with the back naked.

The third case, which I just got a couple days ago and am currently using, is this Tektide, which a couple people recommended earlier in the thread. It's totally clear, so it shows off the back unlike the Cimo, and it has no branding at all. Also, it's all TPU, so there are no seams like on the Vena, and while it doesn't have grippy texture on the sides, it still seems to offer better grip than the Vena. I need to pull out a micrometer to measure it, but I'm certain it's thinner than either of the others which is a win for me. If you're looking for drop protection, this is not for you, but if you're looking for the thinnest case you can get that offers a bit of protection against scratches from general use and minimal drops, this may be the way to go. The only real issue is the buttons (power/vol) are slightly harder to press than with other cases. This may bother you, but it can also be a benefit if you use a car mount with side-arms that tend to hit the volume buttons. It's also the cheapest of the 3.

TLDR; if you want the thinnest, clear case that gives pretty good grip and shows the look of your MXPE, this Tektide may be the best option out there.

ScottMGS

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
Dom12, I have the Vena and another TPU case. The TPU case's edges stick up high enough that it's hard to do a edge-swipe to pull in side menus. The Vena is a bit better. How is the Tektide in that regard? I'm looking for a case that allows full, easy access to both edges of the phone. I had a Fosmon for my 2013 Motox which didn't block the edges but haven't found an equivalent for the 2015 Moto X. Thanks.

Dom12

Dec 23, 2013
Visit site
Dom12, I have the Vena and another TPU case. The TPU case's edges stick up high enough that it's hard to do a edge-swipe to pull in side menus. The Vena is a bit better. How is the Tektide in that regard? I'm looking for a case that allows full, easy access to both edges of the phone. I had a Fosmon for my 2013 Motox which didn't block the edges but haven't found an equivalent for the 2015 Moto X. Thanks.

I'll try to remember to put the other cases on tonight and get a more head-to-head feel, but I'm pretty sure both the Cimo and Vena cases had much taller/thicker edges than the Tektide. There's raised enough that the phone still rests on the case edges, not the speaker grills when set face down, but only by a hair. Comparing with the case, to without, the edge lip is still significant, but I don't think you're going to find any cases with less.

Dom12

Dec 23, 2013
Visit site
So I tried the other 2 cases again, and there really isn't a large difference in the lip size on the sides of the cases. I do think the lip on the Tektide has the least profile, but it's still there. And if the lip on the Vena case is obstructive for you, this one probably will be too. That said, the case overall does feel a bit thinner than the other 2 I have. It's not a lot, cause none of them are terribly thick.

ScottMGS

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for checking. The TPU is soft enough (and inexpensive enough) that I might try to whittle the edges down on one of them to see if I can get what I want.

Dom12

Dec 23, 2013
Visit site
FYI, you may be able to get 40% off Case-Mate gear.

I had been looking at Case-Mate's bumper case, and put it in my cart, after signing up for their new customer discount code. I didn't purchase the case and a couple days later I got an email from them with a 20% discount code. That was maybe a week or 2 ago. Today I got another email with a 40% off code. So if you're interested in the Case-Mate bumper case (or anything else form Case-Mate for that matter), sign up for their email, stick something in your cart and wait a bit...

Even at $12, I don't think I'm gonna pull the trigger on this tho. I'd like a good bumper case, but I just haven't been inspired by the reviews of this one. It seems a bit better than the one Moto gave us, but has enough apparent problems that I'll happily stick with my Tektide for now.